Jump to topic:

Self Inflicted Pyschological Torture

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 5:22:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Now before you run off, this is a series thread. I personally believes that God is a wrathful God and one of vengeance and hates all sinners. When looking at the 10 Commandments it is impossible to go everyday without breaking each and everyone. People hate, people humiliate, cheat, lie, it's because of this I believe that everyone and even myself will burn in Hell after our death. I go through life trying to do great things and after a long discussion I found that the reason for these things is to make myself look better in the eyes of God so that one day he might find it in his heart to forgive me and permit me a pass into heaven. I work and work and work, much like the horse from the Animal Farm (book) and that hopefully it would please God, but what if I die and God's not real? Have I wasted my entire life doing hard work and have done nothing to enjoy life? What if this torture that I do to myself in order to appease God is to do nothing, because heaven and hell only exist in my mind? What if we as individuals have invented God?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 8:55:30 PM
At 11/15/2014 5:22:30 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Now before you run off, this is a series thread.

Unless you mean this is going to be a series of threads, I think you mean "serious".

I personally believes that God is a wrathful God and one of vengeance and hates all sinners.

Fair enough.

When looking at the 10 Commandments it is impossible to go everyday without breaking each and everyone.

I'll have to stop you there. While I don't necessarily focus on not violating the 10 commandments (even though I generally think they are reasonable) I don't believe I violate any of them with any regularity. I'm not an especially religious person either (or religious at all for that matter) so people more dedicated to this, can easily avoid breaking them.

The way the above is written might just be a grammar issue, but just for clarification, are you telling me that every day you violate the commandment not to murder people? Not to commit adultery? Not to steal? Not to use god's name in vain?

These (and others) are pretty easy to avoid, so please help me where I'm misunderstanding this.

People hate, people humiliate, cheat, lie, it's because of this I believe that everyone and even myself will burn in Hell after our death.

I'll have to disagree here too. I believe that conceding to a belief that humans are inherently evil and incapable of avoiding these types of things makes them far more likely to actually do so. I believe if one changes their perspective to recognize that these things are easily avoidable, it's a lot easier for them to do so, and perhaps more importantly, they will feel much worse about themselves when failing to avoid it. If ones perspective is that these things are inevitable anyway, they will feel much less motivated to work on their character in an effort to avoid it, and when that individuals fails to avoid it, they will be far more likely to shrug it off as simply part of being human (rather than the preferable reaction of internal recognition and greater effort to work on it)

I go through life trying to do great things and after a long discussion I found that the reason for these things is to make myself look better in the eyes of God so that one day he might find it in his heart to forgive me and permit me a pass into heaven. I work and work and work, much like the horse from the Animal Farm (book) and that hopefully it would please God, but what if I die and God's not real?

These are worthwhile independent of the existence of god. If your motivation is for the sake of the existence of god, that's fine too.

Have I wasted my entire life doing hard work and have done nothing to enjoy life?

Doing good (in the broad sense) should be rewarded with the feeling that you did something good. Expecting an external reward for it is usually not the best motivation. In other words, if you do good to this extent that you consider it to be devoid of anything enjoyable, then you need to reconsider your motivations. If furthermore you consider it hard work that prevents you from enjoying life, even more so you need to take time to analyze why this might be. Some introspection can go a long way.

What if this torture that I do to myself in order to appease God is to do nothing, because heaven and hell only exist in my mind? What if we as individuals have invented God?

This takes the point even further. If you consider doing good things and working hard "torture" you need to change what you are doing - or reassess why you are doing them.

In Jewish tradition there is a quote that goes something like: "The reward for a good deed, is the good deed itself" (I'm taking some liberty with the translation here for context - where "good deed" is better translated as commandment. But it's still applicable.). Doing what you think is the right thing to do should bring you some amount of joy, if it doesn't, you need to ask yourself why.

If you are motivated only for some later reward, you need to ask yourself if there are other reasons to keep yourself motivated to do them.

If you found out that god doesn't exist tomorrow, would you then become an evil person (and only do evil things)?

I don't think the question as to whether we invented god really matters much here. I think it's far better to ask, should we only be motivated to work hard and do good for some type of external reward? If that reward doesn't really exist, is "doing good" entirely pointless?
Debate.org Moderator
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 9:15:47 PM
At 11/15/2014 8:55:30 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Now before you run off, this is a series thread.

Unless you mean this is going to be a series of threads, I think you mean "serious".

Damn auto-correct.

I personally believes that God is a wrathful God and one of vengeance and hates all sinners.

Fair enough.

When looking at the 10 Commandments it is impossible to go everyday without breaking each and everyone.

I'll have to stop you there. While I don't necessarily focus on not violating the 10 commandments (even though I generally think they are reasonable) I don't believe I violate any of them with any regularity. I'm not an especially religious person either (or religious at all for that matter) so people more dedicated to this, can easily avoid breaking them.

Murder- Hate is when you kill someone or their likeness in your heart. Even in a second of rage where they step on your shoe or something and you throw them the evil eye you are wishing harm on them killing them in your heart.

Adultry- Lust

Theft- Have you ever look at someone lustfully or had a lustful thought on someone's elses wife/girlfriend/guyfriend? Not only is this Adultry this is also stealing someone's wife.

God's name in vein- though I try to avoid this one, saying, "God Damn, Holy Cow, OMG, Jeeze, Jesus Christ, Jesus, etc..." can all be counted as taking his name in vein. I do note that I put Jesus's name this is in cases where one is saying it out of rage.

The way the above is written might just be a grammar issue, but just for clarification, are you telling me that every day you violate the commandment not to murder people? Not to commit adultery? Not to steal? Not to use god's name in vain?

These (and others) are pretty easy to avoid, so please help me where I'm misunderstanding this.

People hate, people humiliate, cheat, lie, it's because of this I believe that everyone and even myself will burn in Hell after our death.

I'll have to disagree here too. I believe that conceding to a belief that humans are inherently evil and incapable of avoiding these types of things makes them far more likely to actually do so. I believe if one changes their perspective to recognize that these things are easily avoidable, it's a lot easier for them to do so, and perhaps more importantly, they will feel much worse about themselves when failing to avoid it. If ones perspective is that these things are inevitable anyway, they will feel much less motivated to work on their character in an effort to avoid it, and when that individuals fails to avoid it, they will be far more likely to shrug it off as simply part of being human (rather than the preferable reaction of internal recognition and greater effort to work on it)

I go through life trying to do great things and after a long discussion I found that the reason for these things is to make myself look better in the eyes of God so that one day he might find it in his heart to forgive me and permit me a pass into heaven. I work and work and work, much like the horse from the Animal Farm (book) and that hopefully it would please God, but what if I die and God's not real?

These are worthwhile independent of the existence of god. If your motivation is for the sake of the existence of god, that's fine too.

Well, in theory if God created me then I should do works to please him as a gift of graditude.

Have I wasted my entire life doing hard work and have done nothing to enjoy life?

Doing good (in the broad sense) should be rewarded with the feeling that you did something good. Expecting an external reward for it is usually not the best motivation. In other words, if you do good to this extent that you consider it to be devoid of anything enjoyable, then you need to reconsider your motivations. If furthermore you consider it hard work that prevents you from enjoying life, even more so you need to take time to analyze why this might be. Some introspection can go a long way.

If I please God then I shall be rewarded, if I fail then I should be punished. I work to serve God (Indriectly) by working hard and attempting to go further and further and continue. I have yet to have a single day off in months and I' extremely tired, but I must continue, because I am here for a reason and I have a purpose and I must do whatever it takes to fulfill that reason and purpose so I could be a useful person and not just a free rider.

What if this torture that I do to myself in order to appease God is to do nothing, because heaven and hell only exist in my mind? What if we as individuals have invented God?

This takes the point even further. If you consider doing good things and working hard "torture" you need to change what you are doing - or reassess why you are doing them.

In Jewish tradition there is a quote that goes something like: "The reward for a good deed, is the good deed itself" (I'm taking some liberty with the translation here for context - where "good deed" is better translated as commandment. But it's still applicable.). Doing what you think is the right thing to do should bring you some amount of joy, if it doesn't, you need to ask yourself why.

If you are motivated only for some later reward, you need to ask yourself if there are other reasons to keep yourself motivated to do them.

If you found out that god doesn't exist tomorrow, would you then become an evil person (and only do evil things)?

No, but my priorities would be rearranged. I would still be a good person and I wouldn't turn into some crazy serial killer overnight.

I don't think the question as to whether we invented god really matters much here. I think it's far better to ask, should we only be motivated to work hard and do good for some type of external reward? If that reward doesn't really exist, is "doing good" entirely pointless?

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 9:21:13 PM
No offence Lannan, but when I see people do good things just because they expect their god to give them an eternal reward in heaven, I think of them as @ssholes.

I do good things because they are good and I don't expect any rewards.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 9:50:10 PM
At 11/15/2014 9:15:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 11/15/2014 8:55:30 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Murder- Hate is when you kill someone or their likeness in your heart. Even in a second of rage where they step on your shoe or something and you throw them the evil eye you are wishing harm on them killing them in your heart.

I certainly commend the self-awareness with regards to hate, however hate is not murder.

Adultry- Lust

Adultery requires an action. Lust is a separate sin.

Theft- Have you ever look at someone lustfully or had a lustful thought on someone's elses wife/girlfriend/guyfriend? Not only is this Adultry this is also stealing someone's wife.

Theft also requires an action.

Again, I commend the degree to which you seem to be going here, but if you consider a slight slip of the mind to be the equivalent of murder and theft then you are going to drive yourself insane.

I want to say that I think it's certainly worthwhile for everyone to work to avoid having a "sinful mind" (to whatever degree they think that's possible or necessary), but I believe you are going too far with equivocating one issue with another.

God's name in vein- though I try to avoid this one, saying, "God Damn, Holy Cow, OMG, Jeeze, Jesus Christ, Jesus, etc..." can all be counted as taking his name in vein. I do note that I put Jesus's name this is in cases where one is saying it out of rage.

Fair enough. I believe it's worth avoiding cursing in general, and even though, as I said, I'm not too religious, one certainly is giving in to some type of lack of self control by doing this. But again, this is something easily avoidable if one genuinely wants to avoid it.

Well, in theory if God created me then I should do works to please him as a gift of graditude.

I'm not saying otherwise. However, your posts here seem to say that you find doing this to be a drain and a negative overall on your psyche. If that is the case, why keep doing it?

If it is the case that god commands you to do things that are a net detriment to yourself, I'm going to have to assert either of the following:

1) God isn't worthy of your efforts in displaying gratitude - especially if displaying gratitude has inherently negative effects.

2) It's not the efforts themselves that cause this issue but something else. What that is I have no idea.

I'd rather posit this second possibility rather than the first (even though I'm making no attempt to make a case for or against god in any case). Regardless, you should consider why efforts like the ones described cause you to have some type of "self-inflicted psychological torture". I can assure you that it's not typical.

Again, if "serving" god causes you anguish, why continue?

The last thing I want you to do is reconsider your belief in god, I am however asking you to question why this would cause you mental anguish of any kind.

If I please God then I shall be rewarded, if I fail then I should be punished. I work to serve God (Indriectly) by working hard and attempting to go further and further and continue. I have yet to have a single day off in months and I' extremely tired, but I must continue, because I am here for a reason and I have a purpose and I must do whatever it takes to fulfill that reason and purpose so I could be a useful person and not just a free rider.

I think you might be conflating a couple issues here. Being a very moral person (however one defines that) can be difficult and can require specific focus on that which may be draining - especially if taken further into specific character development.

Life is difficult, every meaningful aspect of it. It's difficulty and results are therefore directly related to the reward for it - especially if we are only considering the internal results.

No, but my priorities would be rearranged

In what way?

I would still be a good person and I wouldn't turn into some crazy serial killer overnight.

Then your motives aren't purely out of some future reward.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 11:32:26 PM
Now before you run off, this is a series thread. I personally believes that God is a wrathful God and one of vengeance and hates all sinners. When looking at the 10 Commandments it is impossible to go everyday without breaking each and everyone. People hate, people humiliate, cheat, lie, it's because of this I believe that everyone and even myself will burn in Hell after our death. I go through life trying to do great things and after a long discussion I found that the reason for these things is to make myself look better in the eyes of God so that one day he might find it in his heart to forgive me and permit me a pass into heaven. I work and work and work, much like the horse from the Animal Farm (book) and that hopefully it would please God, but what if I die and God's not real? Have I wasted my entire life doing hard work and have done nothing to enjoy life? What if this torture that I do to myself in order to appease God is to do nothing, because heaven and hell only exist in my mind? What if we as individuals have invented God?

If you look at only the 10 commandments, this is an easy conclusion to reach. Though, originally, the bible clearly discusses that forgiveness is obtained through the sacrifice of blood (typically done with a lamb). This is seen all over the old testament. Later on, this fellow named Hey-Zeus (though he spelled it weird, I think it may have been a foreign, non-American version) came along to be the final sacrifice for forgiveness that we all could receive (they wrote a book about it, but if you want to wait, they are slowly releasing it in movie form).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 3:37:04 AM

================

It amazes me that we can land a man on the moon, find cures for all sorts of illnesses, have invented some amazing electronic devices, etc, but yet we still have people that actually believe in god. Come on mate, isn't it time to move on ?
paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 3:41:39 AM

If you look at only the 10 commandments, this is an easy conclusion to reach. Though, originally, the bible clearly discusses that forgiveness is obtained through the sacrifice of blood (typically done with a lamb). This is seen all over the old testament. Later on, this fellow named Hey-Zeus (though he spelled it weird, I think it may have been a foreign, non-American version) came along to be the final sacrifice for forgiveness that we all could receive (they wrote a book about it, but if you want to wait, they are slowly releasing it in movie form).

=============================

Let's get this straight. Apparently this so called God thinks it is a good thing for a man to take an innocent creature, such as a lamb, slit it's throat and let it bleed to death slowly in agony. Well, if that's true, he's not the sort of God I would want to follow on Facebook.
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 4:00:33 AM

It doesn't matter if the egg makes a chicken or otherwise. Even if we created it there must be a reason for that? There must be a reason why we think about God so much. Perhaps we are not willing to admit that we need him.?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 8:18:11 PM

"When looking at the 10 Commandments it is impossible to go everyday without breaking each and everyone."

1) You shall have no other gods before Me.
Not a problem for me

2) You shall not make idols.
Not a problem for me

3) You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Not a problem for me

4) Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Some what of a problem sometimes being a workaholic and extreme hobbyist But I think god will forgive me

5) Honor your father and your mother.
Not a problem for me

6) You shall not murder.
Not even remotely a problem for me

7) You shall not commit adultery.
Again, not even remotely a problem for me

8) You shall not steal.
Not a problem for me since I was like 8 years old

9) You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
Not a problem for me

10) You shall not covet.
Not a problem for me

You must have some serious issues if you break all of these each and every day. Quite frankly I am glad I have never met you personally. Actually you probably aren't even aware of what the ten commandments are if you make such an absurd statement as not being able to go a single day without violating each and every one of them.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 8:34:19 PM
At 11/16/2014 8:18:11 PM, sadolite wrote:

"When looking at the 10 Commandments it is impossible to go everyday without breaking each and everyone."

Not a problem for me

If you don't go to church every Sunday then you are putting something before God, which violates this commandment.

Not a problem for me

Same as #1.

Not a problem for me

If you even say OMG, Jeeze, Bloody Mary, Bloody Hell, or anything like that it violates this commandment.

Some what of a problem sometimes being a workaholic and extreme hobbyist But I think god will forgive me

Same as #1.

Not a problem for me

If you even so as speak a word against them, break their rules or anything you are not honoring your parents.

6) You shall not murder.

If you hate or wish them harm then you are murdering them in your heart. It still counts as the samething.

Lust, if you even think of someone lustfully or per say watch porn you are violating this.

8) You shall not steal.

Same as #7.

Not a problem for me

Lying, everyone does this.

10) You shall not covet.
Not a problem for me

They say want not waste not. In modern society it is impossible not to want something.

You must have some serious issues if you break all of these each and every day. Quite frankly I am glad I have never met you personally. Actually you probably aren't even aware of what the ten commandments are if you make such an absurd statement as not being able to go a single day without violating each and every one of them.

I'm not the kinda person you are thinking of. I'm not some jewel serial killer theif that goes around raping and pilledging people.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 8:03:05 PM
At 11/16/2014 8:34:19 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 11/16/2014 8:18:11 PM, sadolite wrote:

Not a problem for me

If you don't go to church every Sunday then you are putting something before God, which violates this commandment.

Not a problem for me

Same as #1.

Not a problem for me

If you even say OMG, Jeeze, Bloody Mary, Bloody Hell, or anything like that it violates this commandment.

Same as #1.

Not a problem for me

If you even so as speak a word against them, break their rules or anything you are not honoring your parents.

6) You shall not murder.

If you hate or wish them harm then you are murdering them in your heart. It still counts as the samething.

Lust, if you even think of someone lustfully or per say watch porn you are violating this.

8) You shall not steal.

Same as #7.

Not a problem for me

Lying, everyone does this.

10) You shall not covet.
Not a problem for me

They say want not waste not. In modern society it is impossible not to want something.

I'm not the kinda person you are thinking of. I'm not some jewel serial killer theif that goes around raping and pilledging people.

Who told you that going to church is a requirement to believe in god? Church is the celebration of god not a commandment. Keeping the sabbath day holy means you should not conduct business on the sabbath day but rather attend to family and give thanks. All the rest is a load of crap, god gave us minds and knows we use them to think. It is your actions that god cares about. If you think of murder and put it out of your mind you have succeeded in shunning evil, you have not sinned. God knows these thoughts will enter your mind that is why the commandments were written.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%