Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 1:19:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 12:56:29 PM, Cermank wrote:
What's your fondest DDO memory?

That's a good question. I've had a lot of good times. The Presidency, hanging with the AnCap crew, winning closely-competitive debate rounds--and, though it's slightly to my chagrin not to have known about it from the moment of its transpiring, being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I guess it's not so much a single memory as nostalgia for the old days, and for the people that I grew up here with. It's nice to see some familiar faces on the site as it now stands, but it's nothing like being surrounded by the Old Guard.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 1:47:03 PM
At 11/16/2014 1:21:59 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
"I found more satisfying avenues of stimulation than this website."

Such as?

Professional and investment endeavors, romance, good stories, research, etc. This site eventually failed to adequately service my ambitions, so I budgeted that time toward other, more fruitful pursuits productive of tangible gains. Even now, I'm not especially interested in trying to further develop my intellectual faculties here. You can only recycle the same kinds of discussions with so many interlocutors, or scroll through pages of boring topics, before it becomes a net loss.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 1:49:50 PM
At 11/16/2014 1:47:03 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/16/2014 1:21:59 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
"I found more satisfying avenues of stimulation than this website."

Such as?

Professional and investment endeavors, romance, good stories, research, etc. This site eventually failed to adequately service my ambitions, so I budgeted that time toward other, more fruitful pursuits productive of tangible gains. Even now, I'm not especially interested in trying to further develop my intellectual faculties here. You can only recycle the same kinds of discussions with so many interlocutors, or scroll through pages of boring topics, before it becomes a net loss.

1. What projects are you currently working on (if any)?
2. Have you continued to write fiction, and if so, would you be willing to share it?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 1:59:07 PM
At 11/16/2014 1:49:50 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 11/16/2014 1:47:03 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

1. What projects are you currently working on (if any)?
2. Have you continued to write fiction, and if so, would you be willing to share it?

I do research for a PMC, and I work for a very good friend of mine selling glass pipes, and am sort of playing protege as i learn about glass, the industry, running the business, etc. I'm also finishing out a mathematics minor and managing a small pool of funds for private clients.

I am writing, but would prefer not to share.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 2:12:54 PM
At 11/16/2014 12:54:09 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

1. If you could have one super power, what would it be?

2. What is your proudest memory?

3. What is your biggest regret, that you feel comfortable sharing?

4. If you could send a 3-word message to yourself in the past, what would the message be and to what point in your life would you send the message?

5. If you could have and excel at one real-world profession, regardless of your current skill or the feasibility of you obtaining it, what would it be?

6. What three attributes (physical, psychological, or otherwise) would your ideal mate possess? What are three deal-breakers?

7. When did you first start struggling with verbosity?

8. What kind of bear is best?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 2:33:30 PM
At 11/16/2014 1:19:03 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

That's a good question. I've had a lot of good times. The Presidency, hanging with the AnCap crew, winning closely-competitive debate rounds--and, though it's slightly to my chagrin not to have known about it from the moment of its transpiring, being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I guess it's not so much a single memory as nostalgia for the old days, and for the people that I grew up here with. It's nice to see some familiar faces on the site as it now stands, but it's nothing like being surrounded by the Old Guard.

Are there any particular members of the Old Guard who you would like to give a shout-out to?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 2:56:09 PM
What would get you to come back to DDO, and stay?

The questions that you asked me in my AMA seem to suggest that you're trying to either confirm a theory you have about me, or that you're trying to rule something out; that is to say there seems to be both a very clear purpose and idea that motivated them. That's not a bad thing, by any means, so much as it has peaked my curiosity. What was that motive?

Feel free to, if you like, respond by PM or not.
Tsar of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 3:23:00 PM
At 11/16/2014 2:12:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:

1. If you could have one super power, what would it be?

Probably psychokinesis. If I'm the only super, it would easily be among the most convenient powers. I could use it to fly, to obviate physical strength, to stimulate my muscles, etc.

2. What is your proudest memory?

I think one of them has to be winning State in Foreign Extemp my senior year of high school. I had won nearly every ordinary tournament, as well as districts (which is the national qualifier). In the final round, I was the only competitor from the East side--OK has two districts, East and West--and, when we all hopped on the stage, all the West kids were holding hands in solidarity. In my arrogance, I visibly measured out distance from them as I sidestepped off by myself. As the names of the other kids were called, my excitement and nerves intensified. Down to the final two, all the runners-up huddled around their last kid.

The topic I went with was perfect--it was about the extent to which Putin, at the time under Medvedev, had a grip on Russian politics. It was my lucky day, and the last Extemp speech of my career. They called my name as state champion, and, after I did the appropriate fist pump, looked each of my opponents squarely in their disenchanted eyes. I'd just won it all, every level of competition. It wasn't just that I had achieved something great--I had destroyed my obstacles. One of the judges, telling me later about my speech, said it was the best extemp speech he'd ever heard as a coach. And this guy had coached highly-competitive national-level extempers.

It was high school, sure, but I can't help but look back and smile to myself every so often.

3. What is your biggest regret, that you feel comfortable sharing?

Not pursuing a girl who, for years, gave me every opportunity to be more than a best friend, but at the same time being a bitterly resentful "nice guy" upset with being "stuck in the friend-zone", etc. That period of my life taught me valuable lessons, in all fairness, but I deeply regret ever having had to learn them at all.

4. If you could send a 3-word message to yourself in the past, what would the message be and to what point in your life would you send the message?

Stop being cowardly.

5. If you could have and excel at one real-world profession, regardless of your current skill or the feasibility of you obtaining it, what would it be?

Top three choices, no particular order--blowing glass, pharmaceutical chemist, something in the banking industry. Trading derivatives or currencies, maybe.

6. What three attributes (physical, psychological, or otherwise) would your ideal mate possess? What are three deal-breakers?

Visual appeal is fundamentally necessary, so I exclude that; otherwise, independent lifestyle/non-submissive, gentle/appreciative of the quiet, values my time as much as I do.

Dealbreakers include reliably flamboyant personality, disposition toward banal hobbies which she insists I share in (watching sports, cat-video-like things, Tumblr/Instagram/etc.), and self-righteousness about things like "good taste" in media, veganism, militant [a]theism, ineffectual political noisemaking, volunteering for two weeks in Haiti, etc.

7. When did you first start struggling with verbosity?

I've been writing extended pieces since I was five or six. It's hard to draw a meaningful line between verbose and vividly expressive. I think verbosity tends to be associated with pretentiousness and compensatory self-inflation, often manifested as smug condescension or misuse of words and phrases.

I can be a little long-winded here and there, and I can also get my head stuck a little too far up my own @ss from time to time, but I write like this because I love playing with language, and the rush I get from following my brain's orders as to what and how to write is incomparable. In the real world, one of my best friends and I also act as checks on each other. I find the cracks and poke holes in his rigid, crystalline fortresses, and his strict rationality ensures I don't get lost building castles in the air.

8. What kind of bear is best?

Probably the Sun Bear. Asian origin, much smaller in adulthood than other bears, but considerably more aggressive and equipped to kill.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 3:29:38 PM
At 11/16/2014 3:23:00 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Great, thoughtful answers. Thanks!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 3:31:15 PM
At 11/16/2014 2:33:30 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 11/16/2014 1:19:03 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Are there any particular members of the Old Guard who you would like to give a shout-out to?

Oh, goodness. My old crew for one. But also Kleptin, Puck, Ragnar, Danielle, Volkov, sac8, brian_eggleston, goose/geese, Nags, Skeptic, and plenty of others. I see some on Facebook, and some are peripherally active here, but we're more of a diaspora now, so the feeling isn't quite the same.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 3:34:44 PM
At 11/16/2014 2:56:09 PM, YYW wrote:
What would get you to come back to DDO, and stay?

Not a damn thing. When I left last time, I didn't go through the gesture of closing my account. Like an old outlaw or pioneer, I strongly prefer to just ramble in and out of here as my inclinations shift around.

The questions that you asked me in my AMA seem to suggest that you're trying to either confirm a theory you have about me, or that you're trying to rule something out; that is to say there seems to be both a very clear purpose and idea that motivated them. That's not a bad thing, by any means, so much as it has peaked my curiosity. What was that motive?

Feel free to, if you like, respond by PM or not.

I actually have no clear motive or direction concerning that. I just wanted to see how you would respond.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 12:13:59 PM
First snowfall today. I'm going to drink beer, wash down Adobe kratom, order food, and go on a date tonight.

I've also been a member here for more than five years, more, and I'm enjoying my DDO retirement. I can spin a good yarn about the old days. Or anything.

Even though DDO no longer meets your stimulation needs, do you see yourself using it simply to communicate with people?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 12:14:23 PM
First snowfall today. I'm going to drink beer, wash down Adobe kratom, order food, and go on a date tonight.

I've also been a member here for more than five years, more, and I'm enjoying my DDO retirement. I can spin a good yarn about the old days. Or anything.

...(as you're doing now)
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 1:37:01 PM
At 11/17/2014 12:13:59 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Even though DDO no longer meets your stimulation needs, do you see yourself using it simply to communicate with people?

Mostly to amuse myself.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 3:51:25 PM
At 11/17/2014 1:37:01 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Mostly to amuse myself.

Can we expect more rap battles then?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 6:05:07 PM
At 11/17/2014 3:51:25 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 11/17/2014 1:37:01 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Mostly to amuse myself.

Can we expect more rap battles then?

I don't think you should expect anything in particular.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 7:12:34 AM

What's your personal opinion of me?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:30:31 AM
Which of your views are you most unsure about, or open to the other side on?

Have you ever feared that some of your sexual preferences or turn-ons were taboo?

Before making a phone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?

What would constitute a perfect day for you?

If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?

If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one quality, what would it be?

If a crystal ball could tell you one truth about something in your particular life/future, what would you want to know?

What, if anything, is too serious to joke about? What topic is most sensitive to you?

What do you value most in a friendship?

When did you last cry in front of another person? By yourself?

And finally, what's the most embarrassing song on your iPod?
President of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 5:27:21 PM
At 11/19/2014 7:12:34 AM, lannan13 wrote:

What's your personal opinion of me?

I don't have one, if I'm being honest. Other than our recent engagement, you and I really don't interact.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 5:47:07 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:30:31 AM, Danielle wrote:
Which of your views are you most unsure about, or open to the other side on?

The existence of an afterlife, or of a threshold experIence between life and death. Not one which is specifically religiously configured, but in the sense of a para-existence which sits beside our own. I think research into the experience, not only of the near-dead, but also, and perhaps more importantly, the clinically dead, is very fascinating, and will eventually prove very fruitful.

Have you ever feared that some of your sexual preferences or turn-ons were taboo?

I know that some of them are, but that doesn't scare me.

Before making a phone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?

I practice conversations all the time, much as I think through and play possible sequences of events in my head. Playing the Game is an important, unavoidable part of living in a complicated world, and anyone who doesn't know how to play expertly is condemned to anonymous banality.

What would constitute a perfect day for you?

I'll know it when I see it.

If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?

Being handed fewer things during certain periods of my life. I've grown up in several households, some quite affluent, others below the poverty line. I don't think I'd change a damn thing, though. I have no meaningful way of knowing what the repercussions of such a change might be.

If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one quality, what would it be?

Prodigious musical talent.

If a crystal ball could tell you one truth about something in your particular life/future, what would you want to know?

I want to know what my greatest moment of satisfaction, or greatest victory, if you want, will be.

What, if anything, is too serious to joke about? What topic is most sensitive to you?

Nothing, in principle, is too serious, nor should it be, but I can be a little sensitive about egregious mistakes or miscalculations.

What do you value most in a friendship?

Psychological, emotional, and intellectual disinhibition.

When did you last cry in front of another person? By yourself?

I don't remember.

And finally, what's the most embarrassing song on your iPod?

Every Time We Touch - Cascada, or, We're In Heaven - DJ Sammy
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 1:47:53 AM
1) What is a PMC in your neck of the woods?

2) If you had one piece of investment advice that you wish your clients took to heart, what would it be?

Good to see you back. =)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 10:47:52 AM
At 11/22/2014 1:47:53 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

The same thing it is in yours, I assume: Private Military Corporation.

2) If you had one piece of investment advice that you wish your clients took to heart, what would it be?

Don't backseat invest. As when someone tells their doctor they "did research on the internet", I have an intense antipathy toward people who think they can do my job for me, or are in an intimate advisory capacity because it's their money I'm handling. They forget that, if they actually knew how to invest on their own, I wouldn't have been solicited in the first place. I don't care how much you pay attention to financial indices, or what hot new stock you read about on Motley Fool; my job is to take everyone's money and turn it into stably more money, and I can do that like clockwork without unqualified outside assistance. I grant that I haven't gotten my CFA yet, but damnit.

Good to see you back. =)
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 2:51:05 PM
At 11/22/2014 10:47:52 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/22/2014 1:47:53 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

The same thing it is in yours, I assume: Private Military Corporation.

I find it interesting how someone with your views (i.e. anarchist, i.e. anti-government) is working for the government.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?