Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Sure, AMA.

UchihaMadara
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 10:15:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 9:26:16 PM, Danielle wrote:
Go for it.

Which three of your debates which you are most proud of?

Which three of your debates are you most sore about losing?

If you could bring back three currently inactive members, who would they be?

Are you getting bored of DDO?

Why did you change your username from TheLewrd?

What are some of your favorite debate topics atm?
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 10:25:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Favorite type of cake.
Favorite philosopher.
One embarrassing thing that happened to you.
Favorite TV show.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 11:28:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 10:15:28 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 11/18/2014 9:26:16 PM, Danielle wrote:
Go for it.

Which three of your debates which you are most proud of?

Years ago the old site owner hosted a 9 month long debate tournament and offered a cash prize to the winner. I went undefeated and won. Making it to the last debate was probably the only time I was "proud" of winning on this site, considering our participation here is just for funsies and we don't really get anything for winning... except I did that time. Also I like rap battles because I'm not a creative person. I'm a great technical (especially persuasive) writer, but I don't consider myself artistic in any way. The rap battles are like comedic poetry or unique arguments that rhyme, so participating in them is a fun challenge that distracts me from the very logistical way my brain usually works.

Which three of your debates are you most sore about losing?

Cocky maybe, but of the debates I've lost, I probably did only due to blatant vote bombs, unfortunate forfeits and in some cases heavy voter bias. It's frustrating to lose for those reasons, so I would have to say all of them ;)

If you could bring back three currently inactive members, who would they be?

I still keep in touch with most of the DDO members I miss through other social media or even text/ phone. I do miss seeing feverish, Kleptin, J. Kenyon, Rob and innomen on DDO, but I miss a lot of "the old people" in general sometimes (as in I'd like to nostalgically say hello and see whatever happened to them).

Are you getting bored of DDO?

No, because I hardly use DDO anymore. I've mostly come back for Mafia (and fantasy football which we don't talk about on DDO anyway). When I get bored of that I'll take another long break.

Why did you change your username from TheLewrd?

The site was going through a lot of changes at the time and allowed for the option. I always wind up regretting or wanting to change whatever username I come up with, so it's easier to just use my name in most cases.

What are some of your favorite debate topics atm?

In terms of politics, I think the debate comparing statism, libertarianism and anarchism is interesting. I also like philosophizing on what constitutes legitimate property, and whether or not intellectual property should be considered as such. I'm still interested in determinism vs. compatabalism and free will; I think that brings up interesting subjects in the areas of both metaphysics and ethics. Dualism and the mind/body problem is another good topic. I enjoy subjects where I feel I could be challenged and capable of debating either side of the argument. With topics like gay marriage or legalizing weed for example, it's so ridiculously obvious that one side should prevail that it's just not fun to debate. Instead it's more depressing and frustrating that some people would still argue the opposite.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 11:50:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 10:25:23 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Favorite type of cake.

Ice cream cake. I love ice cream so much.

Favorite philosopher.

Tough. I really like Simone De Beauvoir, particularly her thoughts on existentialism and feminism. I love the way she heavily influenced Sartre and her philosophy on life in general. Socrates is another personal (classic) fave. Some of his stuff is really amusing. As someone who appreciates satire and making a point through humor, I think the Socratic method and the way he presented it was brilliant.

One embarrassing thing that happened to you.

Being cheated on (in the past) made me look and feel like a fool.

Favorite TV show.

Orange is the New Black
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 11:59:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 10:32:58 PM, YYW wrote:
How's married life?

Both comforting and Intimidating. On one hand your partner feels like home, and the security of not having to face things alone and knowing you have a constant support is wonderful. On the other hand It's scary to invest so much of your life in/with one person, and to have to sacrifice and balance your own goals and wants with those of your partner's. Giving up a lot of your autonomy can be daunting to someone like me who loves their freedom -- but falling asleep next to someone you love every night and creating a new family of your own is pretty awesome.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 12:07:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 10:15:28 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
Which three of your debates are you most sore about losing?

I'll change my answer - this one: http://www.debate.org...
President of DDO
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 6:52:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
When you're feeling intimidated by something, what do you do or think about to give yourself courage?

What makes you happy apart from people and relationships?

How do you balance sincerity and tact when talking to people?

In real life, how would people who only know you a bit describe you, do you think?
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:02:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 11:59:24 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/18/2014 10:32:58 PM, YYW wrote:
How's married life?

Both comforting and Intimidating. On one hand your partner feels like home, and the security of not having to face things alone and knowing you have a constant support is wonderful.

I've thought about what I wanted to say about this for most of the afternoon/evening... because aside from slaving myself working on outlines right now.... I still can't think of anything meaningful to say other than that I'm still so happy for you, and the lucky girl who you got married to :)

On the other hand It's scary to invest so much of your life in/with one person, and to have to sacrifice and balance your own goals and wants with those of your partner's.

That's the thing that I'm really concerned with, too; or, one of a whole bunch of things. The whole notion of two people, with two careers.... it's hugely daunting.

Giving up a lot of your autonomy can be daunting to someone like me who loves their freedom -- but falling asleep next to someone you love every night and creating a new family of your own is pretty awesome.

That is so sweet :)
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:10:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 9:26:16 PM, Danielle wrote:
Go for it.

How could you give in to the pressure?!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:53:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 11:16:34 PM, Wocambs wrote:
At 11/18/2014 9:26:16 PM, Danielle wrote:
Go for it.

Did you inhale?

Lol, we watched her in hangout doing that.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 7:44:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 6:52:25 PM, Garbanza wrote:
When you're feeling intimidated by something, what do you do or think about to give yourself courage?

I think that no matter what happens, everything will be okay. About to take a huge test? If I fail I will just retake it. Giving a speech? If I mess up I will laugh it off. Trying to close a deal at work? If I don't get it, I'll try again tomorrow. No big deal. I try to underplay the importance of whatever is worrying me and remember that this, too, shall pass - and it works because it always does.

What makes you happy apart from people and relationships?

Wow, good one. Traveling is my favorite thing to do, but I would say the beach. I'm a huge beach bum and always have been. I lived on the beach a few years ago (well in a house on the beach) and it was awesome. I went to the beach every day, even in the freezing winter. It calms me. It inspires me. It makes me smile. It makes me feel as close to "spiritual" as I'll get, and it encourages meditation more than any other thing or place could. It is my happy place for sure, especially in the summer.

How do you balance sincerity and tact when talking to people?

I'm not sure I understand the exact premise of your question (so let me know if I answer it or not) but I will say this -- I find it frustrating that being direct often comes off as aggressive. For instance saying very matter of factly "I disagree" almost sounds combative to most people, even if it's not the speaker's intent. I hate that I have to water myself down when speaking to others because most are sensitive to conflict, whereas I think respectful dissent is cool. It was worse a few years ago when I spent a lot of time on DDO, and I got used to expressing my opinions very assertively. In "real life" that tone is not well received even if it's not at all meant to sound harsh.

Anyway, I've since abandoned talking about most controversial subjects outside of the internet (Facebook pretty much) so as to avoid coming off without tact in most situations. I'm very polite in general. I'm a people person and like connecting with others, so in avoiding subjects like politics and religion (some of my fave to talk about) I think my sincerity just speaks for itself. However I am a feisty New Yorker - I am a 100% Italian-American feminist, first born Aries [and insert all other stereotypes here] so I do speak my mind. It's very obvious that I'm a genuine person; I can't explain it. People have told me (I was just told yesterday actually) that I'm really easy to talk to. I think it's because I'm an engaged and active listener. TLDR - I will "tell it like it is" but I have good manners :p

In real life, how would people who only know you a bit describe you, do you think?

I've found that in the past year those who only know me on the surface think that I am VERY quiet (which has never been the case in my entire life). I think it's because now I'm with someone who is SO outgoing and such an attention-getter life of the party that I just kind of like being a spectator and observing. However when you get me 1 on 1 or get to know me, they would describe me as ridiculous and not quiet at all... opinionated, bizarre, mostly immune to the opinion of others, fun loving and sassy.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 7:57:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 10:02:19 PM, YYW wrote:
I still can't think of anything meaningful to say other than that I'm still so happy for you, and the lucky girl who you got married to :)

Thank you! I'm pretty lucky myself. She cute lol

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net...

That's the thing that I'm really concerned with, too; or, one of a whole bunch of things. The whole notion of two people, with two careers.... it's hugely daunting.

Yeah, and it's not just career stuff. It's EVERYTHING. She wanted a big wedding; I wanted to elope. She wants to have kids sooner than I do. I want to move away from the area; she has/wants to stay here because of her pension and won't leave her family. I want to home-school the kids; she doesn't think it will be feasible. I care more about free time and quality of life than money; financial security is paramount to her. We prefer to spend money on different things which is tough. I prefer to live simply so I could travel as much as possible, and she prefers to live well at home. I don't smoke whenever I want because my partner hates it. I would be okay with someone going out to a club and sleeping at a friend's house (if the partner doesn't want to go) she thinks that's inappropriate if/when you're married -- so it's just stuff, all kinds of stuff. You have to respect the other person's point of view and boundaries, and it can be tough to navigate a balance. What's cool about being gay though (and let's face it, not much is lol) is that there isn't the expectation that one of us is more in control than the other based on gender norms.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 8:45:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 10:10:17 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
How could you give in to the pressure?!

My therapist just told me I'm really good at expressing my opinions and not my emotions or personal stuff, so here goes ;)
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 4:27:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 10:37:37 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Have you cried in the presence of a stranger in the last 5 years?

Yes, of course. I actually have PMDD and cry pretty often because of it - at least monthly.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 4:27:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 11:16:34 PM, Wocambs wrote:
At 11/18/2014 9:26:16 PM, Danielle wrote:
Go for it.

Did you inhale?

I take measures to inhale as much as physically possible, yes.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 4:28:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/20/2014 6:02:07 AM, Cermank wrote:
one advice you'd give to your past self?

"Fvck bitches." Not kidding. I've invested way too much time, energy and money into other people (relationships) that I should have been investing in myself.
President of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 6:04:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Would you rather a puppy or a kitten?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 6:30:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/20/2014 4:27:02 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/19/2014 10:37:37 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Have you cried in the presence of a stranger in the last 5 years?

Yes, of course. I actually have PMDD and cry pretty often because of it - at least monthly.

Well that's my only question cause it says a lot about you.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 6:31:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/20/2014 4:27:02 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/19/2014 10:37:37 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Have you cried in the presence of a stranger in the last 5 years?

Yes, of course. I actually have PMDD and cry pretty often because of it - at least monthly.

Are you absolutely sure you need a therapist?
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 6:41:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/20/2014 7:44:36 AM, Danielle wrote:
How do you balance sincerity and tact when talking to people?

I'm not sure I understand the exact premise of your question (so let me know if I answer it or not) but I will say this -- I find it frustrating that being direct often comes off as aggressive. For instance saying very matter of factly "I disagree" almost sounds combative to most people, even if it's not the speaker's intent. I hate that I have to water myself down when speaking to others because most are sensitive to conflict, whereas I think respectful dissent is cool. It was worse a few years ago when I spent a lot of time on DDO, and I got used to expressing my opinions very assertively. In "real life" that tone is not well received even if it's not at all meant to sound harsh.

Anyway, I've since abandoned talking about most controversial subjects outside of the internet (Facebook pretty much) so as to avoid coming off without tact in most situations. I'm very polite in general. I'm a people person and like connecting with others, so in avoiding subjects like politics and religion (some of my fave to talk about) I think my sincerity just speaks for itself. However I am a feisty New Yorker - I am a 100% Italian-American feminist, first born Aries [and insert all other stereotypes here] so I do speak my mind. It's very obvious that I'm a genuine person; I can't explain it. People have told me (I was just told yesterday actually) that I'm really easy to talk to. I think it's because I'm an engaged and active listener. TLDR - I will "tell it like it is" but I have good manners :p

Thanks yes, that's what I meant. I asked because you seem to be really good at that - you get along with everyone on the site, you don't get into flame wars and yet you seem to be putting forward your arguments strongly too. It's really impressive, because it so often seems to be that people can do one or the other, and doing both is harder. I was wondering if there was a trick to it, but maybe it's about connecting with people, and some people are better at it than others.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 7:05:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/20/2014 7:44:36 AM, Danielle wrote:
However when you get me 1 on 1 or get to know me, they would describe me as ridiculous and not quiet at all... opinionated, bizarre, mostly immune to the opinion of others, fun loving and sassy.

This should say judgment*
President of DDO
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 9:43:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What is the one thing you like most about yourself, and one you dislike the most?

Which period in your life was the most difficult, and what is it characterized by?

What do you fear the most that could happen to you [e.g., loss of financial control or severe damage in self-confidence]?

To what extent do you believe in forgiveness toward any individual, and at what part will you rule it out?
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 11:15:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/21/2014 9:43:55 AM, Mirza wrote:
What is the one thing you like most about yourself, and one you dislike the most?

I appreciate that I'm really laid back. I have a very "che sera sera" mentality about a lot of things (not human rights issues or political subjects, but in matters of everyday life). I feel calm most of the time which I prefer to the alternative. I'm thankful that I don't live with the anxiety I see my partner struggle with every day. She worries about everything. I only worry when necessary. It can be problematic, but it keeps me stress free.

What I hate most about myself is the failure to live up to my potential, my instinct to mess up a good thing, and the fact that I am hands down the biggest obstacle to my own rewards.

Which period in your life was the most difficult, and what is it characterized by?

Um. Probably now. Uncertainty and lack of fulfillment.

What do you fear the most that could happen to you [e.g., loss of financial control or severe damage in self-confidence]?

Regret. I'm really afraid that when I'm old I will be angry at myself for not doing things very differently in my life - missing /messing up opportunities, or not creating them for myself. I worry that I might screw up certain choices that largely define our lives (career, partner, where I live, what I invest in, etc.).

To what extent do you believe in forgiveness toward any individual, and at what part will you rule it out?

A genuine apology almost always warrants my forgiveness. I'm really understanding of mistakes and people's flaws in most cases, but people who repeatedly betray me or hurt others are a no-go.

Good to hear from you, Mirza.
President of DDO