Jump to topic:

Calorie Count Help

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 1:42:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, let's say a fuji apple has a serving size of 1 apple (100g) and 150 calories.

Does that mean the WHOLE apple has 150 calories, stem and core, or just the part people usually eat?
If I had an apple that was 150g, is that 225 calories, or some other proportion, since the core/stems are/aren't proportional? Or, are they?
My work here is, finally, done.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 4:52:05 PM
When I'm counting calories, I always assume that I'm eating the full caloric/ fat/ sugar/ all bad thing intake for you so that I am over-estimating as opposed to under-estimating. Sometimes I round up, too. For instance if something is 260 calories I might count it as 300.
President of DDO
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 6:33:26 PM
At 11/19/2014 1:42:03 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
So, let's say a fuji apple has a serving size of 1 apple (100g) and 150 calories.

Does that mean the WHOLE apple has 150 calories, stem and core, or just the part people usually eat?
If I had an apple that was 150g, is that 225 calories, or some other proportion, since the core/stems are/aren't proportional? Or, are they?

Ok, I'm not used to counting Calories, I'm used to counting carbs, but I believe they are talking about just the part people eat.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:10:27 PM
Calorie Counting

Don't Bother.

I probably eat a crazy number of calories... too much for how Inactive I am...

but the number you should/can eat is not something so simple...
if you want to be in good shape just don't actively be a fatso, pigging out if your not hungry.... and exercise.

Working out/actively pushing it will work a lot better to get you in shape than worrying about calories.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:13:14 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:10:27 PM, mortsdor wrote:

^ ^
Admission that I'm not in shape, and consume too many calories...

however, I probably consume about what I should be if I were working out all the time..
And, I realize that the bigger issue is that I should be working out

(lazy though :/ ... so I guess if you accept your laziness, you should count calories...)
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:15:52 PM
Calorie Counting

Don't Bother.

but the number you should/can eat is not something so simple...
if you want to be in good shape just don't actively be a fatso, pigging out if your not hungry.... and exercise.

Working out/actively pushing it will work a lot better to get you in shape than worrying about calories.

I eat too much. I need to get portion control down. I am eating about 3500 calories per day. Too many by any metric. Further, I have an issue with food and texture. I cannot eat a lot of fruits, and barely any vegetables.
I do intend to work out, but when grocery shopping wears you out, and my job is VERY mental (a typo can literally cost someone their life), I cannot be too drained from a work out.

If I can stop gaining weight, even in the sedentary lifestyle I have, that is a plus.
Apparently delivering pizzas was keeping me "thin", since I changed nothing since I quit and I've gained about 55 lbs since January.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:17:31 PM
And, actually, no, I was walking over a mile every day for a few months, and I managed to not lose any weight. I wasn't gaining any, but not losing any.

I need to count calories to a more acceptable number.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:23:54 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:15:52 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago. I put some of it back on, but I have a wedding in April so I've been dieting again. I lost 20 lbs in the last 2 months, which would be easy as hell for you because you're a guy and you have a decent amount to lose. The weight will fly off you if you're disciplined. You can probably lose 20 pounds a month while barely trying. I've found that losing weight is very much mental as it is physical. Once you start seeing results, it gets easier to stick to it. The hardest part is getting started and being strict in the beginning. Let me know if you need any tips or motivation. This post reminded me to get back on my game :)
President of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:26:59 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:23:54 PM, Danielle wrote:

I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago. I put some of it back on, but I have a wedding in April so I've been dieting again. I lost 20 lbs in the last 2 months, which would be easy as hell for you because you're a guy and you have a decent amount to lose. The weight will fly off you if you're disciplined. You can probably lose 20 pounds a month while barely trying. I've found that losing weight is very much mental as it is physical. Once you start seeing results, it gets easier to stick to it. The hardest part is getting started and being strict in the beginning. Let me know if you need any tips or motivation. This post reminded me to get back on my game :)

I'll ask if I feel I need it, or my wife wants it ;)
We need to be more active, but being broke makes it so you don't go anywhere, which I think is a big part of the problem. We don't leave the house, and now I just sit in front of the computer at work for 8 hours answering phones.
It sucks....
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:29:04 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:26:59 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

We need to be more active, but being broke makes it so you don't go anywhere, which I think is a big part of the problem. We don't leave the house, and now I just sit in front of the computer at work for 8 hours answering phones.
It sucks....

fidget
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:30:18 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:29:04 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

It sucks....

fidget

In case a one word response was not sufficient

http://www.medicinenet.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:33:44 PM

Do you live by a low cost gym? Retro Fitness the chain is like 10$ per month. See if you can find any good local deals. Check Groupon. If you can join an inexpensive gym, it really helps. They say weight loss is like 75% diet and 25% exercise, but for me, it's a lot easier to eat healthy only if I'm exercising. It's mental. For instance I HATE cardio. When I'm on the treadmill sweating my a$s off, I'm completely miserable, and say it takes 15 minutes of suffering to burn 150 calories (for example). Well when I go to the store and I'm about to buy a bag of m&ms that's 250 calories, I think to myself OH HELL NO cuz I realize how much work it will take to burn off. Being aware of how much you're actually consuming is important. There are some cool phone aps that really help. My favorite is called My Fitness Pal. You log your food and it keeps track of your intake so you can monitor your goals. When you start working out, your body feels smaller and leaner... it's psychological. So for me, it makes me feel good to make healthier eating choices because I subconsciously feel skinnier after working out for awhile. So anyway, my advice would be to try and join a gym if you can so that you "get in the zone" and feel inspired to eat cleaner. It's also easier for me to actually get moving if I specifically go to the gym as opposed to promise myself I will walk around the block a few times (especially in the cold).
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:38:22 PM
One thing that has greatly helped me at work (though you may not be able to do this) was to get a raised desk. I now stand at my desk. I also have a headset so it is easy to fidget and pace and tipey toe and all kinds of things that help.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:43:12 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:33:44 PM, Danielle wrote:

Being aware of how much you're actually consuming is important.
That's what I need to do.
I'm a numbers guy, so that should be fun for me.

There is a local community center, but that would be $20/month or so, but as I said, I am broke.
Like, we our overextended $500 a month or so, plus the cost of food. When I say we don't do anything, we don't go ANYWHERE except the grocery store.

Plus, I am depressed over my quitting my pizza job for this office job, since I make about half what I was, just for stupid experience in an office setting.
And, "corporate" work sucks, and thanks to Obamacare, I still need to come up with an estimated $800 to pay for the tax for not having insurance, while not having any. If only the company would give me half of what they'd be willing to pay for insurance since I don't have any.....
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:53:18 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:43:12 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 11/19/2014 8:33:44 PM, Danielle wrote:

Being aware of how much you're actually consuming is important.
That's what I need to do.
I'm a numbers guy, so that should be fun for me.

There is a local community center, but that would be $20/month or so, but as I said, I am broke.
Like, we our overextended $500 a month or so, plus the cost of food. When I say we don't do anything, we don't go ANYWHERE except the grocery store.

Plus, I am depressed over my quitting my pizza job for this office job, since I make about half what I was, just for stupid experience in an office setting.
And, "corporate" work sucks, and thanks to Obamacare, I still need to come up with an estimated $800 to pay for the tax for not having insurance, while not having any. If only the company would give me half of what they'd be willing to pay for insurance since I don't have any.....

Not to go entirely political, but if you are under a certain income, you don't pay (or you can sign up for free care). If you are over that income, but still $500 behind a month, you may need to re-evaluate your living conditions.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:03:22 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:53:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Not to go entirely political, but if you are under a certain income, you don't pay (or you can sign up for free care). If you are over that income, but still $500 behind a month, you may need to re-evaluate your living conditions.

Perhaps you've missed my threads about my experience with MNCare.
I am still waiting since March for an eligibility determination, which I know I make too much. (mncare is the expanded medicaid from the ACA)

The last five years have been a nightmare financially, and the issue is really more of an income issue, then an expense one.
We pay $1500 for our mortgage and escrow (which wasn't a big deal when, on paper, me and the Mrs. were making $50K+ plus my unclaimed tips)
However, she was fired from her job, and has bounced around working for crappy groomers, and she's been screwed over, too.

As it stands, we make about $3K net/month, our expenses are about $3500
1500 mortgage, about 500 student loans, 120 auto insurance, 500 car payment (this is what screwed us since March), and about 600 in CC debt/consolidation loan. Plus utilities.

I've been wanting to go back to school for over four years now, and I can't get hired using my AAS. I'd still be delivering, if my manager wasn't extorting money from me and another supervisor was trying to frame me for theft.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:11:55 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:53:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

By the way, that income for free insurance in MN is about $24K gross for a household of two.
I "have" the expanded medicaid called MNCare, whose threshold is $32,500 gross, and I was paying $66/month, and I am not sure if that was for me or us, as I've recently gotten a letter saying her eligibility is in question due to missing information (gave the wrong SS number)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:14:31 PM

Counting calories isn't really going to help you lose weight; it's a mathematical exorcize of hunger and frustration.

A better way to go is to eat healthy portions (WebMd can help you with that) of healthy food. Lean meats, veggies, whole grains... that kind of thing.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:16:57 PM
At 11/19/2014 9:14:31 PM, YYW wrote:

Counting calories isn't really going to help you lose weight; it's a mathematical exorcize of hunger and frustration.

A better way to go is to eat healthy portions (WebMd can help you with that) of healthy food. Lean meats, veggies, whole grains... that kind of thing.

Healthy portions is counting calories LOL
Or rather, by counting calories, we'll have an idea of healthy portions.
If you knew my (and hers) upbringing, you'd know that little of what we know of is healthy.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:27:24 PM
At 11/19/2014 9:16:57 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Counting calories is a method to theoretically achieve healthy portions. Healthy portions need not be numerically tabulated by their probable caloric value, though.

This is true. I think an easier way is just to get an idea of the physical quantities of certain foods that are healthy, and consume that.

But... this is coming from a person who is not especially fond of numbers.

If you knew my (and hers) upbringing, you'd know that little of what we know of is healthy.

The Basics-

Meat: Salmon, Tuna, Other kinds of sustainably caught fish, lean beef, lean pork, chicken

Veggis: all of them, especially green and orange ones (potatoes are not a vegetable they are a starch)

Fruits: most of them, especially ones high in fiber

Legumes: all of them; I like pinto beans and lintels

Starch: Brown rice, whole grains (oatmeal, rye, etc.), sweet potatoes

Dairy: low fat milk, low fat cheese, yogurt (fat free, preferably)

Fats: olive oil (especially extra virgin -learn how to cook with it), other kinds of natural oil
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:58:17 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of grooming does she do? Like hair styling or dog grooming?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:00:07 PM
At 11/19/2014 9:58:17 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of grooming does she do? Like hair styling or dog grooming?

nevermind this. different topic, different day.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:04:32 PM

Another thing to note is how filling something is. Some foods, while they look great on paper, are not filling, so even though they are low calories, you just end up looking for more food later (which defeats the purpose).

Potatoes are actually great for this (but you need to watch how you cook them, covering them in fatty oils and salts is not ideal, baked and boiled is best). Other things such as beans and rice do well for this. Yes, they are high carbs, but they still have a lot of vitamins and other benefits. I hear eggs are great (and a great source of protein to get you started in the morning) but I don't care for them.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:09:17 PM
At 11/19/2014 10:04:32 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Another thing to note is how filling something is. Some foods, while they look great on paper, are not filling, so even though they are low calories, you just end up looking for more food later (which defeats the purpose).

Potatoes are actually great for this (but you need to watch how you cook them, covering them in fatty oils and salts is not ideal, baked and boiled is best). Other things such as beans and rice do well for this. Yes, they are high carbs, but they still have a lot of vitamins and other benefits. I hear eggs are great (and a great source of protein to get you started in the morning) but I don't care for them.

That's a good point, but generally the more complex the carb, the more filing the carb is going to be. That's why beans and brown rice (not white rice), and whole grains like oatmeal are good.

Carrots are good for this as well. I eat steamed carrots (with cinnamon, and a little butter/sugar) all the time. The same goes for kale, collard greens, spinach, and other leafy veggies that can be cooked.

The one thing that Khaos should know, though, is that changing a diet is something that should be done gradually over time. If a person goes from eating a lot of really salty and fatty foods to eating healthy foods in a day, weird things are going to happen in the body... huge digestive complications.

So... while the change should be made, it should be done gradually over several weeks to avoid that.
Tsar of DDO
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 1:21:42 PM

Why's this in the personal section? XD