Jump to topic:

I need advice.

carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 10:00:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
How should I handle nightmares? They've gotten so bad its literally to the point where I don't want to go to sleep anymore.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:09:19 AM
At 11/22/2014 10:00:39 PM, carriead20 wrote:
How should I handle nightmares? They've gotten so bad its literally to the point where I don't want to go to sleep anymore.

Yeesh. Stress is a big contributor, so it sounds like this problem is feeding on itself. Do you dig sitcoms? Have NetFlix? 'Cheers' until you fall asleep might help. Anything to divert the mind with humor.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:31:47 AM

=================

You beat me to it, I was going to say, don't go to sleep.

I can suggest you dink lots of alcohol
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 9:53:00 AM
I've tried both of those already. They didn't work.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 11:22:54 AM

Do you eat or smoke before you go to sleep? If so, how soon?
Tsar of DDO
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 11:24:46 AM
At 11/23/2014 11:22:54 AM, YYW wrote:

Yeah, like an hour before I lay down.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 11:27:17 AM
At 11/23/2014 11:24:46 AM, carriead20 wrote:

I'd suggest stopping that. Try not to eat or smoke for three to four hours before you go to sleep. Try that for a few nights, and see if it works. It may or may not work on the first night.

Do you take valerian, or other kinds of sleep aids?
Tsar of DDO
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 11:28:58 AM
At 11/23/2014 11:27:17 AM, YYW wrote:

I'd suggest stopping that. Try not to eat or smoke for three to four hours before you go to sleep. Try that for a few nights, and see if it works. It may or may not work on the first night.
Okay, I will.
No and I probably never will.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 11:37:24 AM
At 11/23/2014 11:28:58 AM, carriead20 wrote:
At 11/23/2014 11:27:17 AM, YYW wrote:

Okay, I will.

Good. Let me know what the results are. Nightmares can have physiological causes, and eating before bed or within proximity to bedtime can be one of the big ones.

No and I probably never will.

Ok. The reason I asked is because sometimes sleep aids like valerian (and others) can cause nightmares.
Tsar of DDO
miraculous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:43:19 PM
Do you listen to music while you sleep? If not, consider it.
It helps me when my insomnia kicks in.
If I went back in time and murdered my grandmother, therefor preventing my existence, then who killed my grandmother?
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:46:02 PM
At 11/23/2014 4:43:19 PM, miraculous wrote:

That's the only way I sleep.

miraculous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:49:39 PM
At 11/23/2014 4:46:02 PM, carriead20 wrote:

Tough luck lad; that's really my only escape.
If I went back in time and murdered my grandmother, therefor preventing my existence, then who killed my grandmother?
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:51:50 PM
At 11/23/2014 4:49:39 PM, miraculous wrote:
At 11/23/2014 4:46:02 PM, carriead20 wrote:

Tough luck lad; that's really my only escape.

Thanks anyway.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 5:23:23 PM

PM me. I have tons of nightmares to the point where all I do now is embrace them. Though there is one nightmare that I had never had and I'm glad of and that's my worst fear in Smile Jeff.

What are your dreams about as they can actually be your subconscious trying to tell you something important while encrypting it merely making it a puzzle for you to solve the answer to life.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 8:09:49 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 8:10:43 PM
At 11/23/2014 8:09:49 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com...

haha

Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:42:40 AM
Here's some advice from Steinbeck. Not about nightmares, but it might help anyway. It worked for me. The trick is to remember everything, in as much detail as you can in order and carefully from beginning to end.

I had to use a trick a tough old sergeant taught me once, and it works. There was a day and a night and a day in the war that was all one piece, one unit of which the parts were just about all the dirty dreadfulness that can happen in that sick business. While it was going on I?m not sure I knew its agony because I was busy and unutterably tired, but afterward that unit of a day and a night and a day came back to me over and over again in my night thoughts until it was like that insanity they call battle fatigue and once named shell-shock. I used every trick I could not to think of it, but it crept back in spite of me. It waited through the day to get at me in the dark. Once mawkish with whisky I told it to my top sergeant, an old pro who had been in wars we have forgotten ever happened. If he had worn his ribbons, there'd have been no room for buttons-Mike Pulaski, a polack from Chicago, no relation to the hero. By good fortune, he was decently drunk or he might have clammed up out of a conditioned conviction about fraternizing with an officer.
Mike heard me out, staring at a spot between my eyes. "Yeah!" he said. "I know about that. Trouble is, a guy tries to shove it out of his head. That don?t work. What you got to do is kind of welcome it."
"How do you mean, Mike?"
"Take it's something kind of long-you start at the beginning and remember everything you can, right to the end. Every time it comes back you do that, from the first right through the finish. Pretty soon it'll get tired and pieces of it will go, and before long the whole thing will go."
I tried it and it worked. I don't know whether the headshrinkers know this but they should.
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 3:45:59 AM
I used to have a lot of problems with nightmares as a kid and my mind was, of course, more capable than anything at creating that which really scared the sh*t out of me or was the most absolutely horrible and devastating situation that could ever actually happen in real life and recreating it in my dreams. The solution I found might seem a bit ridiculous, and it might not even work for you, but it fixed my problem and I no longer have nightmares and haven't for a long time.

First, I started by finding the most comfortable position for sleeping. Then I paid attention to just the muscles in my feet and I consciously relaxed them. I released all tension in each toe individually, then the sole of my foot, then the heel, the top of the foot, etc. until all tension had been released (you only need to focus on each part for a couple of seconds until the tension is released). I then moved to my ankle, then my calf, then my thighs, etc. moving through each muscle, one by one, until all tension is released throughout my whole body. Then (this is the most important part) I actually started playing out a dream of my own creation in my mind. I created a "fake" dream that was incredibly and overwhelmingly positive. I mean, so ridiculously positive and uplifting with warm fuzzies so intense that if a unicorn's guardian angel were floating in a bubble in the land of gumdrops, fairies, and rainbows in the utopian society created by the princess of light and magic in the kingdom of lollipops made of pure sunshine, the guardian angel would sh*t itself from the pure ecstasy of joy and wonderment at the positivity of the made-up dream. Then play the dream in your mind until you fall asleep to it and do not let your mind drift anywhere else in the meanwhile. If you're anything like me, then your brain will simply continue that dream for the rest of the night. It takes practice and doesn't always fix it right away (and might take longer to fall asleep for the first while), but when your brain develops a habit of "sleepy time=positive time", it will start doing it on it's own and you can say goodbye to your nightmares.