Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Should I let my parents know I'm an atheist?

Gaming_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 5:32:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I converted to atheism just a few months ago and I have Christian parents. What should I do? Should I tell them or keep it a secret?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 5:36:53 PM
It depends on the parents and your relationship with them, but the safe answer is no. Not any time soon, anyway. Do it during college or something. At some point when you are no longer dependent on them/living in their home.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 6:10:51 PM
At 11/26/2014 5:32:50 PM, Gaming_Debater wrote:
I converted to atheism just a few months ago and I have Christian parents. What should I do? Should I tell them or keep it a secret?

Absolutely not, if you don't want to ruin your life. XD
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 6:18:27 PM
How strict are they?
I'd recommend telling them as soon as you have a back-up place to live...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 6:38:46 PM

I grew up in a very strong Christian home. I was agnostic growing up but always went to church anyways. I came out when I was like 12 and my parents were very accepting.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
miraculous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:06:37 PM
If you can support yourself financially, yes.
If you're a dependent, hell no what are you thinking? They'll attempt to purify your soul.
If I went back in time and murdered my grandmother, therefor preventing my existence, then who killed my grandmother?
Gaming_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:14:58 PM
At 11/26/2014 6:18:27 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
How strict are they?

They're... i dunno, let's say they're so strict they wouldn't let me play Halo
Gaming_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:15:19 PM
At 11/26/2014 7:06:37 PM, miraculous wrote:
If you can support yourself financially, yes.
If you're a dependent, hell no what are you thinking? They'll attempt to purify your soul.

Thx
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:15:32 PM
At 11/26/2014 7:14:58 PM, Gaming_Debater wrote:
At 11/26/2014 6:18:27 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
How strict are they?

They're... i dunno, let's say they're so strict they wouldn't let me play Halo

Then no. Not yet.
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:16:12 PM

That^
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 7:25:43 PM

I personally would, but my parents are very "weak" Christians, in fact I think my dad may even be an atheist anyway. Generally speaking there is quite a negative view of religion generally in my house. But back to the point, I would anyway though because I strongly believe parents should not force their views upon their kids once they are old enough to decide for themselves, and you clearly are. If they fall out with you because of your beliefs, then no disrespect, but then they would not be hugely worthy of you in my opinion.
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 9:26:28 PM

Atheism is less a conversion and more a realization.

In any case, consider this: if your parents are truly Christians, then they commit their lives to their belief. Would you really look your parents in the eye and tell them, "everything you believe is fallacious?"

If I were you, I wouldn't. As an atheist, you should know better than anyone that your beliefs are but a part of who you are and do not play a role in every relationship you have. Be prudent about how you treat their beliefs. After all, they're the ones with the commitment.

I'm agnostic, but my father is a preacher. Why would I challenge that? I love him and life is too short. If he can believe the Bible story, he can believe I'm Christian, too. What difference does it make?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 9:35:37 PM
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 11:31:14 PM

Try to convince them that you are worshiping Lucifer so when you actually reveal that you're an atheist they'll be SO relieved.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Gaming_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 11:15:50 AM
At 11/26/2014 11:31:14 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Try to convince them that you are worshiping Lucifer so when you actually reveal that you're an atheist they'll be SO relieved.

No, they'd get heart attacks.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 2:54:59 PM

I told them I didn't desire to be Christian anymore when I was 15. My mom still forced me to go to church with her until I moved to my fathers house a year later. Hopefully your parents will respect your wish, but I would highly recommend you feel out the situation before openly admitting such a thing. Maybe pose a hypothetical to them in the form of a question like, "How would you feel if I decided to explore other religions?"
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Gaming_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 6:33:32 PM
At 11/27/2014 2:54:59 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I told them I didn't desire to be Christian anymore when I was 15. My mom still forced me to go to church with her until I moved to my fathers house a year later. Hopefully your parents will respect your wish, but I would highly recommend you feel out the situation before openly admitting such a thing. Maybe pose a hypothetical to them in the form of a question like, "How would you feel if I decided to explore other religions?"

How's this? I ask my dad what if I told him I was an atheist. If he asks if I'm atheist, I tell him no. I tell him I wanted to know he'd pray for me if I were atheist because while I know I'm going to heaven, I still want to be a good representative for Jesus.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 8:10:32 PM
At 11/27/2014 6:33:32 PM, Gaming_Debater wrote:

How's this? I ask my dad what if I told him I was an atheist. If he asks if I'm atheist, I tell him no. I tell him I wanted to know he'd pray for me if I were atheist because while I know I'm going to heaven, I still want to be a good representative for Jesus.

That's definitely one way to approach it. What denomination of Christianity is your family, if you don't mind me asking?

When I did it, I actually walked out of the church because the pastor said "even though the Bible commands we give 10% tithe, if we give 20% we'll be met with even more rewards in heaven." I just couldn't take it, at that point I told my mom I'd be waiting by the car and walked right out. I think afterwards when I told her my full reasoning, she understood but didn't accept it. She still hasn't to this day, but my dad was never really into Christianity to begin with, so it was much easier telling him my reasons for leaving the Christian religion to explore others. He accepted it.

If I may also ask, what is your reasoning for being an atheist, you might have to explain that to them as well and should do so as clear and nicely as you can.
Gaming_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 8:19:02 PM
At 11/27/2014 8:10:32 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

That's definitely one way to approach it. What denomination of Christianity is your family, if you don't mind me asking?

baptist.

When I did it, I actually walked out of the church because the pastor said "even though the Bible commands we give 10% tithe, if we give 20% we'll be met with even more rewards in heaven." I just couldn't take it, at that point I told my mom I'd be waiting by the car and walked right out. I think afterwards when I told her my full reasoning, she understood but didn't accept it. She still hasn't to this day, but my dad was never really into Christianity to begin with, so it was much easier telling him my reasons for leaving the Christian religion to explore others. He accepted it.

If I may also ask, what is your reasoning for being an atheist, you might have to explain that to them as well and should do so as clear and nicely as you can.

I lost confidence in myself as a representative for Jesus and then I started thinking for myself.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 8:28:40 PM
At 11/27/2014 8:19:02 PM, Gaming_Debater wrote:
At 11/27/2014 8:10:32 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

baptist.

Same! Towards the end it was more non-denominational, but for a majority of my life I was raised in a Baptist home and attended a private Baptist school.

I lost confidence in myself as a representative for Jesus and then I started thinking for myself.

Okay, so you had a little bit of a different reason than myself except the latter half which I'd say was the same for me.

If you are sold on atheism, then you'll just need to present a good reason to them, as I'm sure they'll ask 'why' at some point. All in all though, unless your parents are fanatics, it shouldn't result in too much distress. Just remember that there is a risk of them not understanding or accepting of your reasons. Just always remember to go with your gut - if you don't feel the time is right, then don't do it. If you do, then hopefully they'll understand - you won't know until it happens.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 12:47:51 PM

I think you should wait until you are out of the house. Otherwise it may become a source of contention between you and your parents.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 2:55:14 PM
At 11/26/2014 5:36:53 PM, Maikuru wrote:
It depends on the parents and your relationship with them, but the safe answer is no. Not any time soon, anyway. Do it during college or something. At some point when you are no longer dependent on them/living in their home.

This.
I would add that your parents' religious fervor is also to be taken into account, along with your role in said fervor.
If they go to church only on the big holidays vs. going every Sunday and expect you to come along.
My work here is, finally, done.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 6:16:15 PM

Well considering you're 15 and at your age values and beliefs change constantly and that telling your parents you are an atheist may very well cause no beneficial effect, I would have to say no.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 6:18:36 PM

Not to mention that telling them at this point could make your relationship with your parents awkward and uncomfortable for years to come.
Nolite Timere
Gaming_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 6:41:36 PM
At 11/28/2014 6:16:15 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Well considering you're 15 and at your age values and beliefs change constantly and that telling your parents you are an atheist may very well cause no beneficial effect, I would have to say no.

Thx 4 the advice, Crypto