Jump to topic:

AMA: The Chrysippus Edition

Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:13:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Long, long after all the cool kids have already done this, and the only ones of us left that have not posted one of these threads are those of us that no-one is curious about, I figure it's probably safe now.

Go ahead. Ask me anything.

I don't promise to answer everything, mind you. I'm not going to tell you about any of my multi-accounts. My secret recipe for German Gingerbread will go with me to the grave. And wild horses couldn't drag out of me any of the secrets any members on here might have paid me to keep quiet - as long as they don't fall behind on their dues.

But I'll read and consider every question put to me; and if I cannot be honest in my answer, I shall attempt at least to be witty. And if I don't answer at all - well, you'll know why. Both of you.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 8:28:05 AM
At 12/6/2014 12:13:55 AM, Chrysippus wrote:
Long, long after all the cool kids have already done this, and the only ones of us left that have not posted one of these threads are those of us that no-one is curious about, I figure it's probably safe now.

I don't promise to answer everything, mind you. I'm not going to tell you about any of my multi-accounts. My secret recipe for German Gingerbread will go with me to the grave. And wild horses couldn't drag out of me any of the secrets any members on here might have paid me to keep quiet - as long as they don't fall behind on their dues.

But I'll read and consider every question put to me; and if I cannot be honest in my answer, I shall attempt at least to be witty. And if I don't answer at all - well, you'll know why. Both of you.

Who are you?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 9:54:44 AM
At 12/6/2014 8:28:05 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I'm not going to tell you about any of my multi-accounts.

Who are you?

http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 2:37:30 AM
Welcome back, Sir. I recall we had a discussion many years ago, and I asked in a PM whether or not you had a comment. Do you remember that?
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 2:53:52 AM

Are you willing to support the Bennett/Otter campaign for president? http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 8:34:21 AM
Where have you been?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 9:35:26 AM
At 12/7/2014 12:53:46 AM, Smithereens wrote:
What was DDO like when you were active?

Very different. When I first joined, voting was anonymous; people routinely cast all seven votes for themselves, and got their friends to votebomb for them. Debates were won or lost on the basis of popularity, rather than merit; debating one of the cool kids meant an auto-lose. People formed voting blocks in the PMs. Votebombing, back then, meant casting all seven votes for someone without merit, usually in the company of fifty of your friends who all vote alike every time. RFDs were almost non-existent, and certainly not mandatory.

I joined just after the site ran off the worst troll/muli-accounter in DDO history. Joshander had the multi-account thing down to a science, and wreaked a lot of havoc on here. Apparently the site's old owner, Phil, was his friend, and the active members had a great deal of trouble trying to get him to evict Josh. People took sides; there was still a lot of tension on the site left over from it when I joined.

The site was not professionally run; Phil ignored us for the most part. Juggle has been far more responsive.

The site was oriented a lot more toward debating at that time; the forums weren't the focus of the site. I don't think the mafia games had started yet; or at least weren't nearly so all-important as they are now. I remember back when we started the Mafia Mod signup list to reduce the confusion a little.

FREEDO was active, so things were always a bit more surreal. Askbob was active - possibly his first account. He was a hacker, and a leading member; got in trouble for posting another member's personal info. He could be abrasive, but I mostly remember him for shredding smaller, weaker bullies. You didn't want to get on his bad side.

Some of the members you saw the most of back then: Kleptin, Danielle (formerly known as Lwerd), ViVeri, FREEDO, Askbob, sadolite, RoyLatham, mongeese, nags, Cody_Franklin, LogicalMaster, PoeJoe, Geolaurate8. Most of those are gone now, or inactive; you can only debate abortion and gay marriage so many times before it gets boring.

Geolaurate8 was a trip. He advocated every conspiracy theory and alternate "science" you can imagine. He was pretty tired of the members ragging on him about it by the time I joined, though, so I never got to have that Hollow Earth debate with him.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 1:34:10 PM
At 12/7/2014 2:37:30 AM, Mirza wrote:
Welcome back, Sir. I recall we had a discussion many years ago, and I asked in a PM whether or not you had a comment. Do you remember that?

Only vaguely, sorry; I searched my PM archives and I'm not finding the thread. Not sure why.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 1:40:49 PM
At 12/7/2014 2:53:52 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
Stuff and nonsense.

Are you willing to support the Bennett/Otter campaign for president? http://www.debate.org...

I rarely take positions on site elections, and your policy on airplane gremlins goes against my life-long position as an armed pacifist.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 1:43:17 PM
At 12/7/2014 8:34:21 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
Where have you been?

Working two minimum-wage jobs to pay the bills, and eyeing the members of the lower middle class with growing envy.
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 3:07:50 PM
Favorite Color?

Favorite Food?

Favorite place you've been?

Favorite moment on DDO?
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 6:43:04 PM
At 12/7/2014 3:07:50 PM, carriead20 wrote:
Favorite Color?

Grey

Favorite Food?

Probably stroganoff or ravioli. Definitely involves noodles of some kind.

Favorite place you've been?

Scotland.

Favorite moment on DDO?

Hard to list just one. Here a a few:
- One of these three debates:
- The best thread ever made in DDO history. Jimtimmy runs for president representing the White Power party. We take his thread and discuss literature. Things only get better from there. http://www.debate.org...