Jump to topic:

I'm calling out all Christians..

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 4:18:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm calling out the modern church for it's wrongs. Just because i'm Christian doesn't mean i'm not angered by what goes on the church. It's become a community rather than a place of worship. Faith has turned into a doctrine rather than a life of devotion to the promises of God in the face of all trials. Creation turned into a battle ground for evolution to be debated rather than a way of finding God's purpose. The church has replaced belief in spirits with "modern thought" to avoid "superstitious deception." You are spiritual for talking to God, but if God talks back, you are labeled "crazy." We can believe in God, but we can't believe in the supernatural because as a society, we have become "too smart for that." We believe Christ raised from the dead, but we can't believe he can raise us back to life? What is wrong with our beliefs? Everything has become "commercialized." The Bible has become a religious rulebook, a self help manual to resolve our problems and not God's Word in which we share with the world. We think about what we can get, rather than dying for our cause. We preach "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" instead. We preach love your neighbor, but practice hate for those different than us. We hate democrats because they aren't conservative. We hate immigrants because we americans are "God's chosen people." We hate other Christians because they aren't associated with our church or believe differently. We are under a political crusade for our beliefs, hating others different than us "in the name of God." We hate sinners because we are "too righteous." We choose to stress the law, forgetting the value of life. We hate the president for his crimes when we should praying that God would give him the wisdom to rule. We hate abortion and claim "pro life" but do we support teen moms? Are we willing to invest in making their life better? If not, how can we be pro life? It pains me to see the words "family" and "love" abused in the Christian community. It hurts me to see us use these words when it's convenient for us, when we don't mean it, but we only want to please our pastors and our God. When we use worldly methods to gain the world.

I'm calling out Christians on DDO. If i wasn't religiously arrogant myself, i would not be telling you this. We stand united as a people whether you think so or not, thus i encourage to practice the same love Jesus showed you in John 16. I encourage you to seek understanding of each other. Do not look up to me as a revolutionary leader, i am simply preaching the same message God had preached for ages: "Love your neighbor as yourself." It's time to repent of your sins, to let the passion for Jesus burn again. Let the love of Christ be given rather than kept to ourselves in the confines of our churches and homes.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 4:45:42 PM
At 12/9/2014 4:43:01 PM, RevNge wrote:
Just wondering, why not post this in the Religion forum? :P

lol too many trolls there.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 4:46:46 PM
At 12/9/2014 4:45:42 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Fair point. XD

Still, it's guaranteed to get a lot of responses... ;D
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 4:48:18 PM
At 12/9/2014 4:46:46 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/9/2014 4:45:42 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Fair point. XD

Still, it's guaranteed to get a lot of responses... ;D

Hopefully :)
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 5:39:01 PM
At the risk of sounding like a troll, I have to say that your post appeared to be a whole lot more like a tantrum than a call to repentance.

Compared to getting all Christians to forsake their hypocrisy, agree and unite, world peace would be child's play.

It'll be interesting to see how the members respond to this harsh challenge.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 5:42:14 PM
At 12/9/2014 5:39:01 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a troll, I have to say that your post appeared to be a whole lot more like a tantrum than a call to repentance.

Compared to getting all Christians to forsake their hypocrisy, agree and unite, world peace would be child's play.

It'll be interesting to see how the members respond to this harsh challenge.

Sorry if i came off offensively. I don't expect world peace, but i do encourage change and self reflection.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 6:33:27 PM
work and toil are gods churches
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 7:04:21 PM
At 12/9/2014 4:18:32 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
I'm calling out the modern church for it's wrongs. Just because i'm Christian doesn't mean i'm not angered by what goes on the church. It's become a community rather than a place of worship.

Why can't churches be both?

Faith has turned into a doctrine rather than a life of devotion to the promises of God in the face of all trials. Creation turned into a battle ground for evolution to be debated rather than a way of finding God's purpose.

I agree, but Creationism was attacked first. For nearly 2000 years in the Christian world the fact that God created the world was taken for granted.

The church has replaced belief in spirits with "modern thought" to avoid "superstitious deception."

I agree that miracles happen, but you need to be careful to be sure that it's a miracle. For instance, if you hold the snake up in the air and it doesn't bite you, that's not a miracle. If you stress that something which was not in fact a miracle, you'll just end up making Christians look stupid.

You are spiritual for talking to God, but if God talks back, you are labeled "crazy."

I agree with what you're saying, but a physical voice from God is not something that will likely happen. Mental instability is a possible explanation for many cases of people claiming to have literally heard from God.

We can believe in God, but we can't believe in the supernatural because as a society, we have become "too smart for that."

The supernatural happens, but it's far from an everyday occurrence. The rise of the Antichrist and the establishment of the global, liberal, atheistic regime will not happen if there's clear, undisputable proof of God's existence.

We believe Christ raised from the dead, but we can't believe he can raise us back to life?

Again, such a thing happening is happening, but it's extremely unlikely in this age before He returns.

What is wrong with our beliefs? Everything has become "commercialized."

Define commercialized. Give an example, please.

The Bible has become a religious rulebook, a self help manual to resolve our problems and not God's Word in which we share with the world. We think about what we can get, rather than dying for our cause.

The church suffers from both legalism (on the Right) and the Prosperity Gospel (on the Left). I agree here.

We preach "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" instead. We preach love your neighbor, but practice hate for those different than us. We hate democrats because they aren't conservative. We hate immigrants because we americans are "God's chosen people."

Whoa there; the GOP doesn't advocate hatred of Mexicans.

We hate other Christians because they aren't associated with our church or believe differently.

That's less common these days.

We are under a political crusade for our beliefs, hating others different than us "in the name of God."

Who exactly are you referring to here?

We hate sinners because we are "too righteous." We choose to stress the law, forgetting the value of life. We hate the president for his crimes when we should praying that God would give him the wisdom to rule.

Agreed. This does, of course, apply to all presidents.

We hate abortion and claim "pro l
life" but do we support teen moms?

No; that's what options like adoption are for. However, many Christians do participate in things like crisis pregnancy counseling.

Are we willing to invest in making their life better? If not, how can we be pro life? It pains me to see the words "family" and "love" abused in the Christian community. It hurts me to see us use these words when it's convenient for us, when we don't mean it, but we only want to please our pastors and our God. When we use worldly methods to gain the world.

God IS who you should want to please. Pastors, not so much.

I'm calling out Christians on DDO. If i wasn't religiously arrogant myself, i would not be telling you this. We stand united as a people whether you think so or not, thus i encourage to practice the same love Jesus showed you in John 16. I encourage you to seek understanding of each other. Do not look up to me as a revolutionary leader, i am simply preaching the same message God had preached for ages: "Love your neighbor as yourself." It's time to repent of your sins, to let the passion for Jesus burn again. Let the love of Christ be given rather than kept to ourselves in the confines of our churches and homes.

Most of what you said here seems to be targeted towards Conservative Christians. As you are a Liberal Christian, this seems to be targeted more towards the Christian Right than towards the Christian community as a whole.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 7:09:14 PM
So what exactly is your main concern here?
The verb is real but the adjective is only a hypothetical ideal. ~ Freedo
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 7:18:10 PM
Creation turned into a battle ground for evolution...

...Creationism was attacked first.

Could you show a source showing that Creationism was attacked first.

I can find many sources attacking Darwin, showing him as a monkey, etc, but I know of nothing that attacked Creationism at that time.

I believe it is more correct to say that Creationism felt threatened first.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 7:51:40 PM
I'm an atheist. I came to this forum and in the beginning defended theism to other atheists. After 2 months visiting the religion forum I am angry with the Christians here. It's interesting how blatantly hateful and mean some of them are when in an anonymous setting. Not very Christian. At least not what I thought Christians were supposed to be. Just my two cents.

With that being said I hope your call to Christians works on this site. They've jaded me.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 8:30:21 PM
At 12/9/2014 7:51:40 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
I'm an atheist. I came to this forum and in the beginning defended theism to other atheists. After 2 months visiting the religion forum I am angry with the Christians here. It's interesting how blatantly hateful and mean some of them are when in an anonymous setting. Not very Christian. At least not what I thought Christians were supposed to be. Just my two cents.

With that being said I hope your call to Christians works on this site. They've jaded me.

That may be true, but I've seen some pretty jerkish atheists here too.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 10:01:58 PM
At 12/9/2014 8:30:21 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

That's why I defended Christians to them. Then I made the mistake of saying I'm an atheist.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 10:21:49 PM

The militant atheists around here are just as bad. Honestly you went to the wrong place for intelligent discussion.

If you want your point of view challenged just try to work out a debate with a Christian on the site that has enough sense to avoid that forum.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 10:24:04 PM
At 12/9/2014 10:01:58 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/9/2014 8:30:21 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

That's why I defended Christians to them. Then I made the mistake of saying I'm an atheist.

I actually know most of the common arguments well enough to argue the Christian or atheist side and win. If you want a challenge let me know.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 10:33:43 AM

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I am a Christian, and I apologize on behalf of the people who have wronged you so much and who have ridiculed you for your beliefs. I know what that feels like, and I'm sorry you had to put up with that. It's completely wrong for us to act that way, and very inconsistent with what we believe. We have no excuses, we did wrong. I'm sorry.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 10:43:54 AM

Christians: Condescending, pompous, arrogant, and can't STFU to save their lives.

I think it's because they know that they're going to have eternal lives in Heaven and that makes them feel better than everyone else that aren't, for the non-Christians will go to Hell, at least in their own narrow-minded opinion. That might be why they act so smug and superior.

Of course, I don't really care what religion someone is as long as they're a good person. Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Secular, Atheist, or even a Satanist (okay fine, maybe that's a *little* too far if they actually worship Satan himself XD); doesn't matter.
Vajrasattva-LeRoy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 10:46:30 AM
Why do you keep referring to Nuts who obviously
aren't Christians at all as "we" or "Christians" ?

I'd like to point out to you that my name wasn't Jesus-
my name was a Hebrew name, pronounced Yeshua.
Neither I, nor any other Biblical personage, ever spoke in English.
English didn't even EXIST back then.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 11:10:28 AM
At 12/10/2014 10:43:54 AM, RevNge wrote:

Of course, I don't really care what religion someone is as long as they're a good person. Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Secular, Atheist, or even a Satanist (okay fine, maybe that's a *little* too far if they actually worship Satan himself XD); doesn't matter.

I feel the the same way. I don't believe religion (or lack of) defines the person at all. I think it's what they do with it that ultimately applies a label to themselves.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 11:12:16 AM
At 12/10/2014 10:33:43 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I am a Christian, and I apologize on behalf of the people who have wronged you so much and who have ridiculed you for your beliefs. I know what that feels like, and I'm sorry you had to put up with that. It's completely wrong for us to act that way, and very inconsistent with what we believe. We have no excuses, we did wrong. I'm sorry.

It's okay. I know that not all Christians are bad. And thank you for reaching out. Maybe I spend too much time in the religion sub-forum! D:
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 11:13:20 AM
At 12/9/2014 10:21:49 PM, Wylted wrote:

The militant atheists around here are just as bad. Honestly you went to the wrong place for intelligent discussion.

Lol! I think you might be right!

If you want your point of view challenged just try to work out a debate with a Christian on the site that has enough sense to avoid that forum.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 11:56:47 AM
At 12/10/2014 11:12:16 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/10/2014 10:33:43 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

It's okay. I know that not all Christians are bad. And thank you for reaching out. Maybe I spend too much time in the religion sub-forum! D:

Thank you for understanding. :)

Yeah, I left that forum long ago. :D
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 6:33:49 PM

I know that many Christians can be hateful and i will admit i was one of them. We are not perfect, we are simply forgiven for our sins. Christianity is about redemption from past evils, not about self righteous arrogance.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 6:58:37 PM
At 12/9/2014 7:09:14 PM, ElCorazonAma wrote:
So what exactly is your main concern here?

Several i guess. Mainly that Christians (not all) have a self righteous and arrogant attitude and that they feel entitled to what is divinely given, forgetting the basic principles of love and compassion towards others. It's not the fact that we have disagreements that bothers me really, it's the fact that we allow them to disband us as believers. Although i have a neutral stance on Calvinism, i can agree with you on one thing: Humanity is totally depraved.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:25:36 PM
At 12/10/2014 6:33:49 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

I know that many Christians can be hateful and i will admit i was one of them. We are not perfect, we are simply forgiven for our sins. Christianity is about redemption from past evils, not about self righteous arrogance.

It's good to hear that from a Christian. :)
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 3:51:44 PM
At 12/10/2014 8:25:36 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/10/2014 6:33:49 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

It's good to hear that from a Christian. :)

lol thanks, glad to know i'm admired by an atheist :)