Jump to topic:

Roommate Issues

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:08:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I decided at the beginning of the year to room with two of my good friends. We've been friends for years and I thought that the pairing was going to be both fun and relaxing but lately it has been the exact opposite.

My friends have taken to gossiping, slandering, lying, pranking each other and functioning at a general level of childness that has pitted me against them. Last night they came in at 3AM drunk and loud and proceeded to try and stack the furniture in the apartment against my door to block me in. This is one such example of things that happen far more often than they should.

I have told them to quit the crap. I have distanced myself from them during this type of behavior. I have tried to talk to them one on one but to no avail. They will not change their behavior. They just call me a d!ck and proceed to continue to talk about me behind my back. I am completely over it. My anger and frustration is only continuing to grow.

The problem is that, for lack of a better word, I've grown up a lot this year. I'm focusing on starting a career, I have a girlfriend that I am trying to build a future with, I have a dog now, I'm trying to graduate soon. My life has gotten serious and I don't have time or patience for childish behavior anymore.

I am at a loss of what to do. I know that success getting advice from DDO is mixed but on occassion these threads yield good advice so have at it. At this point I'm going to end up exploding at some point which won't be good for anyone.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:31:14 PM
At 12/10/2014 1:08:40 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I decided at the beginning of the year to room with two of my good friends. We've been friends for years and I thought that the pairing was going to be both fun and relaxing but lately it has been the exact opposite.

My friends have taken to gossiping, slandering, lying, pranking each other and functioning at a general level of childness that has pitted me against them. Last night they came in at 3AM drunk and loud and proceeded to try and stack the furniture in the apartment against my door to block me in. This is one such example of things that happen far more often than they should.

I have told them to quit the crap. I have distanced myself from them during this type of behavior. I have tried to talk to them one on one but to no avail. They will not change their behavior. They just call me a d!ck and proceed to continue to talk about me behind my back. I am completely over it. My anger and frustration is only continuing to grow.

The problem is that, for lack of a better word, I've grown up a lot this year. I'm focusing on starting a career, I have a girlfriend that I am trying to build a future with, I have a dog now, I'm trying to graduate soon. My life has gotten serious and I don't have time or patience for childish behavior anymore.

I am at a loss of what to do. I know that success getting advice from DDO is mixed but on occassion these threads yield good advice so have at it. At this point I'm going to end up exploding at some point which won't be good for anyone.

It actually sounds like you've made up your mind on what to do.
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 1:47:09 PM

We both know you need to move out, and the pranking/abuse/annoying crap is not going to stop any time soon.
You have outgrown your arrangement, and possibly your friends. It happens. They likely realize this on some level, and is why they "pick" on you, because you are an outsider to them, and that's what boys do.
They may "mature", they may not, but there is no telling how long it will take them to "settle down".
You have ambition, they likely do not.
There is a reason socioeconomic classes don't mix, and this is one of them.

Moving in with your grilfriend is potentially a bad idea, so I would just quietly look for another place, and when you find it, tell them. You can tell them why, but it likely won't matter, because you "used to be cool, man". If and when they grow up, they will understand why you moved on, and likely may try to reach out to you, as long as you keep that line open to them.
My work here is, finally, done.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:17:15 PM
At 12/10/2014 1:47:09 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

We both know you need to move out, and the pranking/abuse/annoying crap is not going to stop any time soon.
You have outgrown your arrangement, and possibly your friends. It happens. They likely realize this on some level, and is why they "pick" on you, because you are an outsider to them, and that's what boys do.
They may "mature", they may not, but there is no telling how long it will take them to "settle down".
You have ambition, they likely do not.
There is a reason socioeconomic classes don't mix, and this is one of them.

Moving in with your grilfriend is potentially a bad idea, so I would just quietly look for another place, and when you find it, tell them. You can tell them why, but it likely won't matter, because you "used to be cool, man". If and when they grow up, they will understand why you moved on, and likely may try to reach out to you, as long as you keep that line open to them.

Yeah I definitely have outgrown the friendship and I probably should move out but moving in this town is a huge hassle because its a college town but I'll definitely keep my eyes open.

Thanks for the level headed words.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:17:40 PM
At 12/10/2014 1:34:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
inb4...

I can't burn their house down because we live in the same place.

Burn them all.
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:20:17 PM

It's simple what you must do. Pray to Lucifer for the power to slaughter them. Slit their throats, cut them open, and eat their hearts and/or livers.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:21:04 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:20:17 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

It's simple what you must do. Pray to Lucifer for the power to slaughter them. Slit their throats, cut them open, and eat their hearts and/or livers.

Huh, you're not the first person to tell me that.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:22:23 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:21:04 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 12/10/2014 4:20:17 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Huh, you're not the first person to tell me that.

I would hope so. It's a common and easy solution. Plus, your power will grow.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:55:16 PM

I'm at the point of growing up too, but at the highschool to college point. And I've dealt with this. A lot of my friends are still horribly immature. I've gotten lashed out at for the silliest of things i've heard every joke under the sun, etc. My strategy is that i just go with it or i try to remove myself from the situation. If you can push through than push through. Also talk about it. Maybe like your girlfriend. You need to be able to talk with someone to let it out and release.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:59:08 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:55:16 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

I'm at the point of growing up too, but at the highschool to college point. And I've dealt with this. A lot of my friends are still horribly immature. I've gotten lashed out at for the silliest of things i've heard every joke under the sun, etc. My strategy is that i just go with it or i try to remove myself from the situation. If you can push through than push through. Also talk about it. Maybe like your girlfriend. You need to be able to talk with someone to let it out and release.

Yeah she knows all about it. I'm going to try and push through. It's only another four-ish months before I'm outta here. So far avoiding the situation has worked for the most part.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:02:20 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:59:08 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 12/10/2014 4:55:16 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Yeah she knows all about it. I'm going to try and push through. It's only another four-ish months before I'm outta here. So far avoiding the situation has worked for the most part.

so yeah talk about it thats all the advice i can say to help push through it
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.