Jump to topic:

2000th Post - People who have changed my mind

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 6:51:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I could spend this post licking the assess of all the people here that I like or am friendly with. But I am far too nihilistic to do that coherently. I want to do it, but it seems stupid to. Instead I thought it would be good to go halfway, and talk about a few people on DDO who have changed my mind on facts and beliefs. I don't particularly like all the people on this list, but I appreciate them all the same.

Hopefully this list will make people who debate here feel they have not wasted all their time. Moreover as a reminder to myself that I need to keep my beliefs flexible to the facts of reality, and to remain ready to challenge my core presuppositions of reality, and to keep emotional investment to a minimum.

GarretKadeDupre - One of the first people I debated on DDO. I originally thought creationists were rather illiterate, far beneath myself, and simply in need of education. Garret dispelled many of those myths, being a clear example of someone who understands many scientific principles I did not expect him to, and with an aggressive tendency to go through his opponent's sources to check his opponent is backing up his claims. My beliefs on creationists have changed drastically since, and now reflect a much deeper problem I now see, which is not independent to creationists. A deeper problem that I now try my hardest to make sure I do not fall foul of, as I realised I myself was part of the problem.

zmikecuber - I learned basic formal logic from him, and he had changed my mind on naive physicalism, which I was an adherent of before coming to DDO. I now regard myself as a physicalist in the sense that the physical explains the mental, but I do not believe matter is necessarily a fundamental substance. Changed my mind on innumerable other issues not related to mind ontology, which I cannot list here as they are so numerous.

Dylancatlow - Highlighted problem of induction to me, which made me realise how limited we are epistemologically. He also changed my mind on creation ex nihilo, which I now regard as an exercise in futile mental masturbation.

xXCryptoXx - Made me drop the notion of objective facts within nihilism, the world makes significantly more sense to me when assessed from a purely subjective perspective, both pragmatically and epistemologically. I still adhere to moral egoism, but Crypto went a long way into making me consider the philosophical framework of the type of egoism I had idealised.

Spencerjoyage14 - I am now Pro olivine engineering

SNP1 - On Jesus' existence, to which I now regard myself as an agnostic or 'undecided' (I believed Jesus most certainly existed)

Thoughtsandthoughts - Moral treatment of livestock isn't necessarily a good thing.

zarroette - Indirectly caused me to become an existential and moral nihilist, although I do not accept her antinatalist views. Also changed my beliefs on romantic relationships, gender roles in such relationships and the importance of accepting the biological and psychological differences in sexes. A breaking from "naive equalism".

Godchooseslife - That 17 kids is too many and statuory restrictions on family sizes is a plausible option. Also the importance of understanding preconceived notions and ideas before any discussion.

Wylted - That moral sense theory sucks

Benshapiro - That moral sense theory still sucks

AngelofDeath - zombies are probably OK

n7 - Made me rethink what it means to be "you", from his arguments regarding identity and persons

Rationalthinker - That some notions of God are cognitive.

Sargon - That "being" or "is" is a seriously under-appreciated concept, one for which we simply do not, and perhaps can never have a good understanding of, which by extension leaves us on dubious ground regarding claiming anything about existence outs of of IF and THEN statements. I simply took existence for granted before then.

More later.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 7:03:54 PM
At 12/12/2014 6:51:38 PM, Envisage wrote:
Dat's my bae. <3
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 7:04:33 PM
SNP1 - On Jesus' existence, to which I now regard myself as an agnostic or 'undecided' (I believed Jesus most certainly existed)

I am pleasantly surprised that I am on this list.

I also think I might look into some of the others on the list. Some of those points interest me.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 1:40:42 PM
I could spend this post licking the assess of all the people here that I like or am friendly with. But I am far too nihilistic to do that coherently. I want to do it, but it seems stupid to. Instead I thought it would be good to go halfway, and talk about a few people on DDO who have changed my mind on facts and beliefs. I don't particularly like all the people on this list, but I appreciate them all the same.

Hopefully this list will make people who debate here feel they have not wasted all their time. Moreover as a reminder to myself that I need to keep my beliefs flexible to the facts of reality, and to remain ready to challenge my core presuppositions of reality, and to keep emotional investment to a minimum.

GarretKadeDupre - One of the first people I debated on DDO. I originally thought creationists were rather illiterate, far beneath myself, and simply in need of education. Garret dispelled many of those myths, being a clear example of someone who understands many scientific principles I did not expect him to, and with an aggressive tendency to go through his opponent's sources to check his opponent is backing up his claims. My beliefs on creationists have changed drastically since, and now reflect a much deeper problem I now see, which is not independent to creationists. A deeper problem that I now try my hardest to make sure I do not fall foul of, as I realised I myself was part of the problem.

zmikecuber - I learned basic formal logic from him, and he had changed my mind on naive physicalism, which I was an adherent of before coming to DDO. I now regard myself as a physicalist in the sense that the physical explains the mental, but I do not believe matter is necessarily a fundamental substance. Changed my mind on innumerable other issues not related to mind ontology, which I cannot list here as they are so numerous.

Dylancatlow - Highlighted problem of induction to me, which made me realise how limited we are epistemologically. He also changed my mind on creation ex nihilo, which I now regard as an exercise in futile mental masturbation.

xXCryptoXx - Made me drop the notion of objective facts within nihilism, the world makes significantly more sense to me when assessed from a purely subjective perspective, both pragmatically and epistemologically. I still adhere to moral egoism, but Crypto went a long way into making me consider the philosophical framework of the type of egoism I had idealised.

Spencerjoyage14 - I am now Pro olivine engineering

Thoughtsandthoughts - Moral treatment of livestock isn't necessarily a good thing.

zarroette - Indirectly caused me to become an existential and moral nihilist, although I do not accept her antinatalist views. Also changed my beliefs on romantic relationships, gender roles in such relationships and the importance of accepting the biological and psychological differences in sexes. A breaking from "naive equalism".

Godchooseslife - That 17 kids is too many and statuory restrictions on family sizes is a plausible option. Also the importance of understanding preconceived notions and ideas before any discussion.

Wylted - That moral sense theory sucks

Benshapiro - That moral sense theory still sucks

n7 - Made me rethink what it means to be "you", from his arguments regarding identity and persons

Rationalthinker - That some notions of God are cognitive.

Sargon - That "being" or "is" is a seriously under-appreciated concept, one for which we simply do not, and perhaps can never have a good understanding of, which by extension leaves us on dubious ground regarding claiming anything about existence outs of of IF and THEN statements. I simply took existence for granted before then.

More later.

We should debate so that I can win and make it onto your list for your 3000th post :D
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 5:42:18 AM
Congrats.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~