Jump to topic:

Debate at work?

BookReader
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 10:51:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
( apologies in advance for my vagueness)

I was sitting with a group of friends during breaks at work, and we would have lively conversations about whatever topic. Well someone got a little pissed off at me, because(imho) I kept winning. These debates are usually me talking about the evidence and someone making a comment about how they don't rely on books to form opinions for them. Of course this is pure fallacy, because when we talk about say heart disease or something like, they can only ever rely on what they read(we are not doctors, lol).

The debates never go too far, except for today. No debate was started, I asked a question to this guy and the comment back was close to "I don't believe in that bullcrap*, I don't let books determine how I live my life", this with a serious tone. I actually took it as a sign he wanted to debate, and did such, his response "I don't give a stuff*" then he went silent. His next reply was "I don't care what you think" Which of course is obvious fallacy<---people who don't care, don't say things like this. And then more silence...........

Though gotta admit it took the wind out of my sails pretty fast, thing is I'd rather not sit with someone that nasty. But I like the group we sit with and they are all asking me why I stopped sitting with them, I just shrugged and said I had work to do. I don't really know how to handle this, would like to fight my own fights here, not rely on friends support or management, which I'm pretty sure I would get both.

Yeah, so this is my first post and a bit of a ramble at that. I actually don't know if this is the right forum for me to post this on, but I hope it is. Thanks for reading, and if you have advice, I'm all ears.<--- or eyes.......
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:15:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The trap that most debaters (myself included) is the overuse of Logos while ignoring Ethos and pathos. Gain respect in that group (Ethos), and create analogies as well as emotional reasons to support your factual opinions (pathos).

Believe me, I know. I've been on a bus where people get annoyed at me for "being on the other side of the argument"
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com