Jump to topic:

Beautiful Music

wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 11:12:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
There are SO many beautiful pieces of music. If I had to pick just one, I'm not sure I could. For one thing, there is the genre :Rock, Classic Rock, Folk, Classical,....

Right now, I am crying from the beauty of Piano Concerto #2, 2nd Movement Adagio, by Rachmaninoff. But Lady Antebellum "Need You Now " makes me cry too!!!!

What music makes you cry?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 10:47:23 PM
At 12/16/2014 11:12:00 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
There are SO many beautiful pieces of music. If I had to pick just one, I'm not sure I could. For one thing, there is the genre :Rock, Classic Rock, Folk, Classical,....

Right now, I am crying from the beauty of Piano Concerto #2, 2nd Movement Adagio, by Rachmaninoff. But Lady Antebellum "Need You Now " makes me cry too!!!!

Well, two operatic pieces. The first is 'Vesti la giubba' (Don the costume), an aria sung by the man who performs as Pagliacci the clown before he must take the stage, even after discovering his wife's infidelity.

The next is the final scene from Madam Butterfly. She discovers that her 'husband', and American soldier for whom she abandoned her family and faith, is returning to Japan from America upon hearing that she is pregnant with his child. She is thrilled to have him back, tragically celebrating in another, more famous aria (Un bel di vedremo). However, he arrives with an American wife, and plans to return to America with Butterfly's son and raise him there. Butterfly kills herself, deciding that her son will have a better life if he never knew the truth, but the child walks in as she prepares to commit the act.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 11:03:34 PM

"This Woman's Work"?

No, perhaps Chopin, at the right moment.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 11:24:11 PM
At 12/19/2014 11:03:34 PM, Such wrote:

"This Woman's Work"?

I would appreciate the names of the particular pieces so I can try to find them online and buy / download them.

I have heard Chopin is very good. Could you recommend a particular piece?

Thanks.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 11:32:55 PM
At 12/19/2014 11:24:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 12/19/2014 11:03:34 PM, Such wrote:

"This Woman's Work"?

I would appreciate the names of the particular pieces so I can try to find them online and buy / download them.

I have heard Chopin is very good. Could you recommend a particular piece?

Thanks.

"This Woman's Work" is by Maxwell.

It probably isn't what you're used to, but it's a gorgeous song.

Chopin... hmmm...

I mean, how much experience do you have with him? His most well known, perhaps, is his Nocturne No. 9.

Familiar with that?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 11:46:51 PM
At 12/16/2014 11:14:39 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
Cry, not from pathos, but from the beauty of it.

And if you like Rachmaninov, you would like his Vocalise too. He wrote it for vocal performance, but it's been arranged for violin as well.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -