Jump to topic:

Everyone hates my beard.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:39:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Everywhere I go, I get negative comments about how ugly my beard is. Like alot.

Just wondering what your guys' advice would be. Originally, I decided that I was just going to let my beard grow for a year and then trim it... but now even people who like beards are saying it looks scraggly.

Should I cave in and trim it? Or should I stick to my original plan and trim it in like 4 more months? I'm not against trimming... I just wanted to see how long I could get it after a year, and see if I had the constitution to actually grow it for a year despite what everyone says. But maybe I should even just shave it?

There's a part of me that hates everyone's negative comments... But at the same time, I feel like I'd be just giving in to societal pressure.

Anybody have some advice?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:40:57 PM
At 12/21/2014 7:39:19 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
They don't have to live in your body.

It is your choice, not theirs.

(p.s. ask lizbeth)

(p.p.s. dont do it!)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:46:17 PM

Just wondering what your guys' advice would be. Originally, I decided that I was just going to let my beard grow for a year and then trim it... but now even people who like beards are saying it looks scraggly.

Should I cave in and trim it? Or should I stick to my original plan and trim it in like 4 more months? I'm not against trimming... I just wanted to see how long I could get it after a year, and see if I had the constitution to actually grow it for a year despite what everyone says. But maybe I should even just shave it?

There's a part of me that hates everyone's negative comments... But at the same time, I feel like I'd be just giving in to societal pressure.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com...
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:31:55 PM

Does it grow more thicker in some places than others?

I mean, a beard is going to look scraggly no matter what if you don't keep it neat.

So, like, if they're just commenting on the fact that you have a nappy beard, then that's to be expected, since you're letting it grow out.

You know, like how when you grow out hair, it has that awkward transitory period when it's really ugly and mullety before it becomes long and luscious? Like that.

But, if it's patchy, there's two things to consider. If it's only patchy in areas, like on your cheeks or something, then trim accordingly, leaving only the thick parts, once you're ready to groom. It'll end up looking dashing.

If it's just patchy all over, consider the scraggly look. Like this: http://www.beautyramp.com...

Tends to be very popular among women.

I once rocked it exactly like this: http://thumb7.shutterstock.com... (hair and all)

Worked for me sometimes, other times... I got comments I didn't like. But, my sex life overall didn't suffer. ;)

Keep us posted.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 9:54:19 PM

There are two sorts of people: men and those without beards.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 9:58:29 PM
At 12/21/2014 9:54:19 PM, Ajabi wrote:

(gender activist mode)
You sexist bastard. What about the women and third-genders?
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:13:49 PM

It depends. Is the beard for other people, or for you?

If it's the former, then I would say let other peoples opinions on it sway you.

If it's the latter, then screw what other people think and wear your beard the way you want. Even it out if you like the way it looks better, or let your freak flag fly and go caveman style. It's your beard, grow it out in whatever way pleases you the most.

That said, I personally think beards look great either way. I do think they usually look better of they're at least evened out though. Unless you get it to be a massive beard. You know, the kind a bird might start nesting in. Those beards are always awesome... Unless you actually let a bird nest in it... Then, not so awesome.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:16:18 PM
At 12/21/2014 9:58:29 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/21/2014 9:54:19 PM, Ajabi wrote:

(gender activist mode)
You sexist bastard. What about the women and third-genders?

So... You're saying women should grow beards?

And, what in the hell is a third-gender?
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 11:20:20 PM
As a fellow beardian, I both understand your struggle and support your cause. As an undergrad, I made it a point not to trim during the semester. Try thoroughly washing and conditioning it, then using hair ties at the bottom to help reduce its size and width. Use leave-in conditioners to give it shine, moisture, and reduce the scraggle. Also, wear shades and don't smile. People will be too afraid to say anything.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 11:46:42 PM
At 12/21/2014 11:20:20 PM, Maikuru wrote:
As a fellow beardian, I both understand your struggle and support your cause. As an undergrad, I made it a point not to trim during the semester. Try thoroughly washing and conditioning it, then using hair ties at the bottom to help reduce its size and width. Use leave-in conditioners to give it shine, moisture, and reduce the scraggle. Also, wear shades and don't smile. People will be too afraid to say anything.

I saw your photo with Abby and Santa...you look adorable.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 7:44:04 AM
At 12/21/2014 11:46:42 PM, Ajabi wrote:
At 12/21/2014 11:20:20 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I saw your photo with Abby and Santa...you look adorable.

Haha it's all in the beard.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 10:30:37 AM
That is because beards are horrible. Bearded teenage boys, especially, are horrible because they can't grow enough facial hair usually and they look scraggly and unkept.
Tsar of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 10:38:15 AM
At 12/22/2014 10:30:37 AM, YYW wrote:
That is because beards are horrible. Bearded teenage boys, especially, are horrible because they can't grow enough facial hair usually and they look scraggly and unkept.

His beard isn't that bad... you should see it. It's like 3 inches long xD
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 11:03:00 AM
At 12/22/2014 10:38:15 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I still hate beards... like all facial hair. I can do a little stubble, but that's it.
Tsar of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 11:06:27 AM
At 12/22/2014 11:03:00 AM, YYW wrote:

I still hate beards... like all facial hair. I can do a little stubble, but that's it.

But they're so hawt
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 11:08:02 AM
At 12/22/2014 11:06:27 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

But they're so hawt

Not really.
Tsar of DDO
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 11:08:11 AM

But they're so hawt

http://24.media.tumblr.com...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 11:10:37 AM
At 12/22/2014 11:08:11 AM, RevNge wrote:

But they're so hawt

http://24.media.tumblr.com...

this ^
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 11:16:21 AM

When I had my beard fully grown out I was being asked if I was Jewish or Muslim... it was kind of annoying.

Don't let the hate bring you down though, they are just jealous they don't have a glorious beard like you.

Stick with it! Do it for those of us who can't anymore!!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 4:01:10 PM
I love your beard! Though I can't normally say much concidering that I shave once a day.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 1:06:52 AM

There are certainly people who just shouldn't even try, but this beard is resplendent https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 10:18:28 AM

I like beards, I have beard although not a 1 year beard, it's like a 1 month beard and I trim it in order to keep it always that size. About your particular beard, maybe it is not the lenght what looks bad, so it could help if you posted a picture.
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:40:22 PM
At 12/22/2014 4:01:10 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I love your beard! Though I can't normally say much considering that I shave once a day.

I know the feel. *hugs*
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:47:17 PM
Your beard is beautiful!
Heretics! We should kill them all!
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO! Don't do it!
Screw society
IF and I mean IF you think it is getting too long or is scraggly then trim it a little bit just enough to clean up your look.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:50:25 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:47:17 PM, carriead20 wrote:
Your beard is beautiful!
Screw society
IF and I mean IF you think it is getting too long or is scraggly then trim it a little bit just enough to clean up your look.

Wait how do you know what my beard looks like? lol
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:51:06 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:50:25 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Your beard is beautiful!
Screw society

Its a beard, all beards are beautiful!

carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:51:30 PM
At 12/30/2014 8:50:25 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Your beard is beautiful!
Screw society

I don't lol!

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:48:03 PM

My advice is to stay away from it. It's not that bread is evil but carbs are. If ou keep bread around, you'll just get tempted.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:51:24 PM
At 12/31/2014 3:48:03 PM, Wylted wrote:

My advice is to stay away from it. It's not that bread is evil but carbs are. If ou keep bread around, you'll just get tempted.

XD
numberwang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 4:18:35 PM

I had the same dilema when i grew out my hair. I didnt want to cut it and give in to social pressure because I wanted to see how long I could grow it out. I say keep going for it, unless its interfering with a relationship (I ended up cutting mine to please my girlfriend) or you need to look good for a job or anything then keep it growing. If you have to trim it to keep it even so it doesnt look really weird maybe do that, but dont trim it shorter to please anyone else.

Also, if you can grow a long awesome beard I think youre obligated to do it for those of us (myself included) who cant. Let naked faced men everywhere be your inspiration when people make fun of your beard.