Jump to topic:

Help ASAP!

carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:11:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I quit drinking alcohol a couple of weeks ago. I was a really bad alcoholic but now I'm clean but my family is wasted right now and trying to get me to drink. I keep telling them no and to stop asking but they won't. I really want to drink but if I know if I do I'll fall back into the hole I'm climbing out of. But still....

What do I do? I need advice ASAP.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:22:26 PM
Always keep a glass or water or soda in your hand. People will be less likely to offer you a drink if you have one in your hands.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:26:31 PM
I'd go seek help, to be honest. The psychological component to alcoholism is huge. It's actually very commonly just something akin to advanced bed-wetting, if it's not chasing away some pain. Nothing wrong with a few drinks with your family.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:27:59 PM
To get drunk with a person is something beautiful, too, IMO, -- as if to disarm yourself. Maybe I shouldn't be romanticising it like that, though. But it might be what your family are really looking for you to do :P
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:33:03 PM
At 12/31/2014 10:22:26 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Always keep a glass or water or soda in your hand. People will be less likely to offer you a drink if you have one in your hands.

Tried it already, they're all too drunk to care.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:33:54 PM
At 12/31/2014 10:27:59 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
To get drunk with a person is something beautiful, too, IMO, -- as if to disarm yourself.
STOP TEMPTING ME!
Maybe I shouldn't be romanticising it like that, though. But it might be what your family are really looking for you to do :P

carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:34:16 PM
At 12/31/2014 10:26:31 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I'd go seek help, to be honest. The psychological component to alcoholism is huge. It's actually very commonly just something akin to advanced bed-wetting, if it's not chasing away some pain. Nothing wrong with a few drinks with your family.

I'm part of AA

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:41:22 PM
At 12/31/2014 10:11:06 PM, carriead20 wrote:
I quit drinking alcohol a couple of weeks ago. I was a really bad alcoholic but now I'm clean but my family is wasted right now and trying to get me to drink. I keep telling them no and to stop asking but they won't. I really want to drink but if I know if I do I'll fall back into the hole I'm climbing out of. But still....

Spend some time away from your family.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:42:15 PM
At 12/31/2014 10:34:16 PM, carriead20 wrote:

I'm part of AA

I don't know much about AA only from what I hear from the boys who had to do court-ordered stints with them lol, but I'd see a personal psychologist dude. Group therapy is super effective (ever tried not standing or sitting or kneeling with the crowd in church?), but it's just layering over your problems rather than resolving them. It leaves you dependent.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:43:51 PM
At 12/31/2014 10:42:15 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I'm part of AA

I don't know much about AA only from what I hear from the boys who had to do court-ordered stints with them lol, but I'd see a personal psychologist dude. Group therapy is super effective (ever tried not standing or sitting or kneeling with the crowd in church?), but it's just layering over your problems rather than resolving them. It leaves you dependent.

At least I imagine that'd be how it'd work. ---Seems like beating yourself into sobriety.
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:43:53 PM
At 12/31/2014 10:41:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Can't right now, they're at my house right now, its my year for the party.

carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:45:16 PM

I'm part of AA

I don't know much about AA only from what I hear from the boys who had to do court-ordered stints with them lol, but I'd see a personal psychologist dude.
No thanks minored in therapy I know all their tricks.
Group therapy is super effective (ever tried not standing or sitting or kneeling with the crowd in church?),
Yes all the time.
but it's just layering over your problems rather than resolving them. It leaves you dependent.

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:46:59 PM
At 12/31/2014 10:43:53 PM, carriead20 wrote:
At 12/31/2014 10:41:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Can't right now, they're at my house right now, its my year for the party.

Endure for a few more days then, if you can.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:49:28 PM
At 12/31/2014 10:45:16 PM, carriead20 wrote:

I'm part of AA

I don't know much about AA only from what I hear from the boys who had to do court-ordered stints with them lol, but I'd see a personal psychologist dude.
If you did, I doubt alcohol would have such a hold over you dude. Though not that I believe a 25 year old can really be an alcoholic anyway. :P I lived with a dude who drank for 6 weeks straight once, and he's fully functioning besides (but we all drink, I guess - I dunno).
Group therapy is super effective (ever tried not standing or sitting or kneeling with the crowd in church?),
Yes all the time.
Pft, sh*t makes me flinch like f*ck. I manage, too, though, lol. Always disliked that component of Christianity.
but it's just layering over your problems rather than resolving them. It leaves you dependent.
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:50:26 PM

Go to your room and lock yourself in. Take some water and a granola bar in there in case you get thirsty or hungry.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:16:21 AM
At 12/31/2014 10:49:28 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 12/31/2014 10:45:16 PM, carriead20 wrote:

I'm part of AA

If you did, I doubt alcohol would have such a hold over you dude. Though not that I believe a 25 year old can really be an alcoholic anyway. :P I lived with a dude who drank for 6 weeks straight once, and he's fully functioning besides (but we all drink, I guess - I dunno).
I've been drinking since I was 12 or 13.
Yes all the time.
Pft, sh*t makes me flinch like f*ck. I manage, too, though, lol. Always disliked that component of Christianity.
Me too lol.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:25:44 AM

Suddenly go on a rampage and throw all of the alcohol in the house out the window and destroy EVERYTHING.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:36:16 AM
At 1/1/2015 12:25:44 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Suddenly go on a rampage and throw all of the alcohol in the house out the window and destroy EVERYTHING.

Or I could pull out my zippo if they get too close. They've drank enough that I could light them on fire from 3 feet away.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:37:33 AM
At 1/1/2015 12:36:16 AM, carriead20 wrote:

Or I could pull out my zippo if they get too close. They've drank enough that I could light them on fire from 3 feet away.

Who's this "they" character?

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:44:47 AM
At 1/1/2015 12:37:33 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

La Familia

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:45:51 AM
At 1/1/2015 12:44:47 AM, carriead20 wrote:

La Familia

And who does this include?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:48:51 AM
At 1/1/2015 12:45:51 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

La Familia

My mom, uncles, 3 of my brothers, sister, and all of their partners. Some close friends as well but their not trying to get me to drink.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:49:23 AM
At 1/1/2015 12:48:51 AM, carriead20 wrote:

La Familia

My mom, uncles, 3 of my brothers, sister, and all of their partners. Some close friends as well but their not trying to get me to drink.

Your family has a drinking problem.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:50:31 AM
At 1/1/2015 12:49:23 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/1/2015 12:48:51 AM, carriead20 wrote:

La Familia

Your family has a drinking problem.

Yep, so do I but I'm trying to stop. Not working so well with a bunch of alcohol sitting around.

That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:54:32 AM

You can also get the alcohol bottles ASAP and pour it all down the drain.
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:57:54 AM
At 1/1/2015 12:54:32 AM, That1User wrote:

With the way their guarding them? I wish.

That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 1:00:36 AM
At 1/1/2015 12:57:54 AM, carriead20 wrote:

Have you tried locking yourself in your room with some water and an energy bar? Also, you can have your friends help you with pouring the alcohol down the drain.
R13; Marcus Aurelius
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 1:08:09 AM
At 1/1/2015 1:00:36 AM, That1User wrote:

Have you tried locking yourself in your room with some water and an energy bar?
That's where I am now.
Also, you can have your friends help you with pouring the alcohol down the drain.
They won't, I've already tried to get them to help.

That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 1:09:57 AM
At 1/1/2015 1:08:09 AM, carriead20 wrote:
At 1/1/2015 1:00:36 AM, That1User wrote:

Have you tried locking yourself in your room with some water and an energy bar?
That's where I am now.
Good, I'm glad you found a safehaven.
Also, you can have your friends help you with pouring the alcohol down the drain.
They won't, I've already tried to get them to help.
At least they didn't try to get you to drink...
R13; Marcus Aurelius