Jump to topic:

Travel

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 2:06:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What are some of your favorite travel destinations, and where would you like to visit?

I personally love Italy (almost every city) but particularly Rome, probably because it's the first foreign city I've ever been to, I've been there multiple times, and I'm most familiar with that city compared to any other. However Venice is also beautiful. Capri is gorgeous. Florence is interesting. Naples is gritty (but the food is bangin). Sorrento is cool. I just love Italy in general. The fact that I'm 100% Italian-American and can speak the language is also probably relevant to my appreciation.

However I also LOVE Spain and think Barcelona may be my favorite city in the world - so far.

Greece and Turkey are other faves. I've been to Switzerland and Norway, but not for nearly enough time.

Obviously I've been to various parts of the U.S. including the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada (they count).

The places I most want to visit in the future include Israel, Egypt, Morocco and Dubai.
President of DDO
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 5:46:50 AM
At 1/3/2015 2:06:00 AM, Danielle wrote:
What are some of your favorite travel destinations, and where would you like to visit?

I personally love Italy (almost every city) but particularly Rome, probably because it's the first foreign city I've ever been to, I've been there multiple times, and I'm most familiar with that city compared to any other. However Venice is also beautiful. Capri is gorgeous. Florence is interesting. Naples is gritty (but the food is bangin). Sorrento is cool. I just love Italy in general. The fact that I'm 100% Italian-American and can speak the language is also probably relevant to my appreciation.

However I also LOVE Spain and think Barcelona may be my favorite city in the world - so far.

Greece and Turkey are other faves. I've been to Switzerland and Norway, but not for nearly enough time.

Obviously I've been to various parts of the U.S. including the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada (they count).

The places I most want to visit in the future include Israel, Egypt, Morocco and Dubai.

I have always wanted to see the Catacombs of Paris, so France is high on my list. Though really I want to see Europe, I really want to see Vatican City, and explore Rome, and Greece.

Then for religious reasons I also really really want to go to Saudi Arabia. I would also like to see Jerusalem.

Though before anything else, I want to go to Switzerland. I love the climate, and I love the way that place looks. Also living my life in a city of 23 million people, I would really appreciate the quiet, homey villages that Swiss people have to offer...with the benefits of modern technology.

My father went to Wengen for quite some time in Switzerland and says it was the most wonderful experience, ever. For one the population is not more than 3, 000 (with only around 1, 000 year long residents). The weather is nice and chilly, and its on the side of a mountain.

When I am old, I hope to live in a village like that. So yeah the top of my choice is Switzerland, and I want to go there for a few months. :)
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:20:56 PM
One of my favorite cities by far was Hong Kong. The cityscape puts New York City's to shame.

Japan was amazing too. I went almost everywhere there over a 3 year period when I lived there and it holds some true wonders.

Hawai'i is a must see destination as well. A true paradise.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:24:46 PM
I really want to visit Central and South America. I'm actually getting my passport (the whole family is) in a little while.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:25:19 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:24:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I really want to visit Central and South America. I'm actually getting my passport (the whole family is) in a little while.

I've been to Peru. The Andes are spectacular. South America is a unique sort of place.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:27:34 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:25:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I've been to Peru. The Andes are spectacular. South America is a unique sort of place.

My uncle is a missionary in Bolivia and my cousin (his son) is a pilot for an arilines in South America. When we're ready to go down we'll probably have to hit them up.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:29:57 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:27:34 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 1/3/2015 9:25:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

My uncle is a missionary in Bolivia and my cousin (his son) is a pilot for an arilines in South America. When we're ready to go down we'll probably have to hit them up.

Sounds awesome. I love traveling. The more places in the world you can see the better in my book.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:33:09 AM
No real interest. I'd like to see the wonders, I guess. Things like Machu Picchu and whatever. And those fancy Italian places, and I suppose the Louvre. I'm boring myself even thinking about it, though, lol. Travelling is definitely a woman's thing.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:42:24 AM
Sorry to all the dudes in this thread btw, lol. I didn't really mean it, just weighing my disillusionment against others'.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:44:09 AM
At 1/3/2015 9:20:56 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
One of my favorite cities by far was Hong Kong. The cityscape puts New York City's to shame.

Japan was amazing too. I went almost everywhere there over a 3 year period when I lived there and it holds some true wonders.

How do you get the money to travel to all these places?
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:47:00 AM

If you are planing on going to Morocco Egypt etc it will be worthwhile taking a male friend with you to keep the harrassment level at bay. Whatever you do, do NOT go to Tanger, it is the worse place I have ever been, and every person I have met that has also gone there has had similar feelings. Fes, Marakasch, Atlas Mountains etc are fantastic. Also best not to go to Nth Africa in the summer as it gets uncomfortably toasty.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:50:15 AM
At 1/4/2015 1:44:09 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Work and save, buy a ticket and go! its not that expensive really - eat and sleep cheap and be on the look out for bargain flights
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 2:17:23 AM

Italy is on my list. I went on a train trip from Paris to Barcelona, and I absolutely adored both cities, though Paris is still at the tip top of my list. Ironically, I had decided that it was overrated before I'd even been there, but I was absolutely blown away. The cities of Carcassonne and Beziers were beautiful, but just surreally haunting knowing what had happened there ages ago. They really triggered my interest in medieval history. I also loved, loved, loved a tiny town on the Mediterranean in Languedoc-Roussillon called Collioure. My friend and I had walked through Carcassonne in the wee housed of the morning to catch a train to this town at 4am, and we arrived shortly before dawn completely exhausted. Finding a park bench not 10 feet from the sea at the foot of a ruined castle we took turns napping as the sun rose and it was just such a perfectly relaxed moment. That town reminded me of a Camus quote:

"The Mediterranean sun has something tragic about it, quite different from the tragedy of fogs. Certain evenings at the base of the seaside mountains, night falls over the flawless curve of a little bay, and there rises from the silent waters a sense of anguished fulfillment. In such spots one can understand that if the Greeks knew despair, they always did so through beauty."

We also stopped at Lyons and Girona on that trip, and they were fun as well.

My sisters and I went to the Azores, staying on the Island of Sao Miguel, and that island is staggeringly beautiful, with perfect weather and lovely people. There are hot springs and a famous garden in Furnas, near the center of the island, and driving to the Northeast End involves switchback after switch back hanging above the Atlantic surf. The capital, Ponta Delgada, is very intimate and quiet for a city, while still possessing a lively spirit. A lovely place, with fantastic food and tea for very reasonable prices. One restaurant clung to a cliff over a little inlet; you ate on a covered terrace near the drop off. I had a swordfish steak with a bunch of appetizers, like grilled lentils, for under 15 euro. The town of Furnas has a special dish that is cooked by putting meats and vegetables in a large, sealed pot, lowering it into the ground near one of the volcanic hot springs, and letting it cook there until the meat is just falling off the bone.

I've also been to Jasper in Canada, with the same friend with whom I went to France and Spain, where she, I, and her entire family camped. We took a cable car to one of the peaks and climbed the last stretch. I had thought that I had seen mountains before, but I was mistaken. The view just floors you, you're above the clouds, the wind tearing at the scree around you, filled with clots of snow and strange little flowers which I identified while up there. They also have a species of dogwood called Cornus canadensis which grows in an herbaceous form: six leaves in a perfect wheel with a little white dogwood flower in the center. On our way to cliff diving in a glacial lake I found this perfectly still, ice cold pool in the forest. Beneath the glassy surface, hundreds of these white flowers stood above their rosettes, the entire forest canopy reflected above them. It was like something out of Keats, just otherworldly. The cliff diving was fun as well; the water was crystal clear, and so icy that the impact really forced all of the air out of your lungs for a second. That doesn't really sound like a good thing, but it was.

In the US, I love Charleston and the surrounding islands more than anything. The Angel Oak is a must-see. In Canada, Prince Edward Island is just starkly beautiful. Red soil, red rocks and red sand where blue sea meets brilliant green. Lupine everywhere, and seaweed of every shape and color if you have the fortitude to snorkel in that water. Nova Scotia was great as well; the Cabot Trail is unfailingly gorgeous. And the Bay of Fundy is just bizarre, especially the flower pot rocks and the reversing falls.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 3:33:23 AM
Next on our list is Maderia, then Lake Como, then possibly I would like to visit China but the other half's not so keen on that one.
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 3:37:11 AM
Favs so far are Lake Louise in BC & Swiss/French Alpes for skiing & Thailand (Bangkok & HuaHin) for the culture shock.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 9:56:31 AM

I forgot to put Rio on my list. My parents just got back from Argentina and liked it a lot.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 9:57:41 AM
At 1/4/2015 1:47:00 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
If you are planing on going to Morocco Egypt etc it will be worthwhile taking a male friend with you to keep the harrassment level at bay. Whatever you do, do NOT go to Tanger, it is the worse place I have ever been, and every person I have met that has also gone there has had similar feelings. Fes, Marakasch, Atlas Mountains etc are fantastic. Also best not to go to Nth Africa in the summer as it gets uncomfortably toasty.

Thanks for the advice! You make some good points.
President of DDO
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 11:16:30 AM
At 1/4/2015 1:44:09 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

I lived in Japan when my dad was in the Navy so traveling around the Pacific was cheaper there. I went to South America on a mission trip on fundraising money with my church and my parents took us to Hawaii for Christmas a couple of years.
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 12:01:30 PM

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how do you afford traveling so much? Isn't it expensive?
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 12:20:26 PM
At 1/4/2015 12:01:30 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how do you afford traveling so much? Isn't it expensive?

Travel isn't expensive if you stay in cheap places (travel to cheap places) and do your homework on tickets etc, travel on local buses/trains rather than organised tours and buy bus and rail passes for Europe. Flights are now much cheaper than they used to be, especially with the huge amount of low cost airlines. also if you travel off season you can get some great discounts on accommodation.
Not my gumdrop buttons!