Total Posts:89|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Nihilism Sucks

Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

I am pretty sure it's the former, as nihilism is never something I ever wanted to accept, it's just something I have accepted. If I told myself about nihilism 2 years ago I would have probably reflexively defended my thoughts and refused to accept it, like I did with my religious beliefs.

This all being said, I really think my philosophies regarding nihilism are unhealthy for myself. On one hand want my life back, on the other hand I value believing true things. It probably would be possible for me to believe something else and give in to my more irrational side, but it would come at a cost of being dishonest with myself.

I don't know...

Nihilism sucks, I seriously do envy those who really do believe there is purpose in life, and an end to their means which gives them drive and happiness, even if those beliefs are false.

I really do envy those people.

I envy those people whose world is small, and their cares and needs are close to home. Whose lives are full enough not to be bothered with one's life philosophy, or it's implications. I really wish I was more ignorant. I am pretty sure I would be a happier person if that was the case.
lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 3:46:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Russians generally tend to be Nihilistic, which is why if you go there you'll noticed that their people are generally depressed.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:26:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I don't understand why people think nihilism is an abstract philosophical position when in (philosophical) history it's been practiced almost exclusively as philosophical opposition to Christianity and other totalizing regimes.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:35:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 5:26:17 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I don't understand why people think nihilism is an abstract philosophical position when in (philosophical) history it's been practiced almost exclusively as philosophical opposition to Christianity and other totalizing regimes.

I don't understand your point, and how it is relevant to the OP. Nihilism (and its subsects) is a philosophical position irrespective of it's practical motivations int he past or present.

For me at least, it is a brute philosophical position with little to do with opposition to various regimes, but rather a rejection of preconceived ideas.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:36:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 5:16:45 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Hello again, lol. You'll figure it out, Envisage. Give it another 3 months maybe. :P

Every time I talk to you my mind gets fucked that little bit harder. I am not sure I want any more, I prefer to mentally masturbate.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:36:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 3:46:44 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Russians generally tend to be Nihilistic, which is why if you go there you'll noticed that their people are generally depressed.

That's made me a feel a whole lot better...

/sarcasm
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:38:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 5:35:28 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/4/2015 5:26:17 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I don't understand why people think nihilism is an abstract philosophical position when in (philosophical) history it's been practiced almost exclusively as philosophical opposition to Christianity and other totalizing regimes.

I don't understand your point, and how it is relevant to the OP. Nihilism (and its subsects) is a philosophical position irrespective of it's practical motivations int he past or present.

For me at least, it is a brute philosophical position with little to do with opposition to various regimes, but rather a rejection of preconceived ideas.

All philosophical ideas have their material or political base. Nihilism isn't an exception. I just find it odd that it can mean much of anything totally divorced from its actual use.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,248
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:42:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 5:26:17 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I don't understand why people think nihilism is an abstract philosophical position when in (philosophical) history it's been practiced almost exclusively as philosophical opposition to Christianity and other totalizing regimes.

It's not necessary for a nihilist to be unbiased. A disconnect between their thoughts and actions won't cause them to vanish in a puff of smoke, you know.
lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:43:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 5:36:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/4/2015 3:46:44 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Russians generally tend to be Nihilistic, which is why if you go there you'll noticed that their people are generally depressed.

That's made me a feel a whole lot better...

/sarcasm

If things are completely meaningless to you then my nor anyone's for that matter attempts to chear you up is nothing but an utter failure as it would only be for our selfish means.

I know how you feel. The other day I spent spiritual meditation on poundering the existence of God. I found that if there was no God then I myself would have no purpose and everything would be meaningless. I would have no motivation for anything other then personal pleasure and that's sickening and revolting. It would seem that there would be no other viable option then to kill myself and just fade from existence. Because who would care right? There isn't a purpose for anything and that would then imply that my life is meaningless and the Bell would not toll for me. I am just a mere ant in the ant colony and would have no purpose and my life means nothing to the collective society. If I would die then not a single soul would notice. It would have no effect and all the others would burry me, take my things, and then carry on with their daily lives like it didn't matter and like I never existed. Oh what a cruel world.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:43:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
Nihilism sucks, I seriously do envy those who really do believe there is purpose in life, and an end to their means which gives them drive and happiness, even if those beliefs are false.

Life has no purpose, not really. That does not mean you can have one in practicality. Just like morals, they do not really exist, but they exist for all practical purposes.

I accept that nihilism is true for reality, but I reject that it is true for practical purposes. If nihilism was true for practical purposes, we would not see so many people with their own views on morality, on laws, etc.

I really do envy those people.

I envy those people whose world is small, and their cares and needs are close to home. Whose lives are full enough not to be bothered with one's life philosophy, or it's implications. I really wish I was more ignorant. I am pretty sure I would be a happier person if that was the case.

Again, it is reality vs practicality.

I accept that in reality that life has no purposes, there are no morals, what we do is insignificant. It is kinda sad.

That does not mean, in any way, that people cannot live and have views as if there is purpose to their lives, that there are morals, that what we do matters. Even if none of it exists in reality, we can make it seem to exist for the time that we live our lives.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:43:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 5:42:00 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/4/2015 5:26:17 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I don't understand why people think nihilism is an abstract philosophical position when in (philosophical) history it's been practiced almost exclusively as philosophical opposition to Christianity and other totalizing regimes.

It's not necessary for a nihilist to be unbiased. A disconnect between their thoughts and actions won't cause them to vanish in a puff of smoke, you know.

I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean. I'm saying that nihilism isn't an abstract position that people just hold after careful consideration. That's never what it's been.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,248
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:46:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 5:43:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 1/4/2015 5:42:00 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/4/2015 5:26:17 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I don't understand why people think nihilism is an abstract philosophical position when in (philosophical) history it's been practiced almost exclusively as philosophical opposition to Christianity and other totalizing regimes.

It's not necessary for a nihilist to be unbiased. A disconnect between their thoughts and actions won't cause them to vanish in a puff of smoke, you know.

I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean. I'm saying that nihilism isn't an abstract position that people just hold after careful consideration. That's never what it's been.

Oh, I thought you were pointing out that nihilists rarely act as if "nothing matters". Sorry lol
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:48:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 5:46:42 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/4/2015 5:43:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 1/4/2015 5:42:00 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/4/2015 5:26:17 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I don't understand why people think nihilism is an abstract philosophical position when in (philosophical) history it's been practiced almost exclusively as philosophical opposition to Christianity and other totalizing regimes.

It's not necessary for a nihilist to be unbiased. A disconnect between their thoughts and actions won't cause them to vanish in a puff of smoke, you know.

I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean. I'm saying that nihilism isn't an abstract position that people just hold after careful consideration. That's never what it's been.

Oh, I thought you were pointing out that nihilists rarely act as if "nothing matters". Sorry lol

nah i wouldn't expect em to
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:54:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 5:43:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 1/4/2015 5:42:00 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/4/2015 5:26:17 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I don't understand why people think nihilism is an abstract philosophical position when in (philosophical) history it's been practiced almost exclusively as philosophical opposition to Christianity and other totalizing regimes.

It's not necessary for a nihilist to be unbiased. A disconnect between their thoughts and actions won't cause them to vanish in a puff of smoke, you know.

I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean. I'm saying that nihilism isn't an abstract position that people just hold after careful consideration. That's never what it's been.

And mine isn't? Fascinating that you seem to think you can make those (enormous) claims about me when you hardly know anything about myself.
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 5:55:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

I think you may be linking two unrelated factors. I am an existential nihilist, yet I am apathetic about it. It hasn't ever depressed me. Maybe it's because I am generally unemotional, but to me it doesn't really change anything. If there is an objective purpose or no objective purpose I still have to work, ect.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:02:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 5:43:12 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 1/4/2015 5:36:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/4/2015 3:46:44 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Russians generally tend to be Nihilistic, which is why if you go there you'll noticed that their people are generally depressed.

That's made me a feel a whole lot better...

/sarcasm

If things are completely meaningless to you then my nor anyone's for that matter attempts to chear you up is nothing but an utter failure as it would only be for our selfish means.

It would still cheer me up.

I know how you feel. The other day I spent spiritual meditation on poundering the existence of God. I found that if there was no God then I myself would have no purpose and everything would be meaningless. I would have no motivation for anything other then personal pleasure and that's sickening and revolting.

To be honest though, I don't really think the existance of God has much to do with my nihilism. I probably wouldn't label myself a nihilist, but I would hold pretty much the same pragmatic beliefs. If God has a plan for me then I don't really have any reason to care about that plan outside of long-term punishment or reward. But these are also entirely subjective.

It would seem that there would be no other viable option then to kill myself and just fade from existence. Because who would care right?

Well... Nihilism doesn't imply self-destruction. That's not a tendency of mine either. I have desires to do things, and I want to fulfil those desires even if they are meaningless. Some sort of tautological self-preservation. But this doesn't really provide much motivation, no.

There isn't a purpose for anything and that would then imply that my life is meaningless and the Bell would not toll for me. I am just a mere ant in the ant colony and would have no purpose and my life means nothing to the collective society. If I would die then not a single soul would notice. It would have no effect and all the others would burry me, take my things, and then carry on with their daily lives like it didn't matter and like I never existed. Oh what a cruel world.

I see it as a glass half-full rather than empty. I see people who believe in purpose and meaning to possess something positive that I lack, instead of me having something negative that normal people do not have. And that something positive gives them drive and mental well-being, regardless or whether or not it is logically sound.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:05:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 5:55:05 PM, n7 wrote:
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

I think you may be linking two unrelated factors. I am an existential nihilist, yet I am apathetic about it. It hasn't ever depressed me. Maybe it's because I am generally unemotional, but to me it doesn't really change anything. If there is an objective purpose or no objective purpose I still have to work, ect.

I understand that, and that's pretty much my position. But it's pretty obvious (at least for me personally) that people who believe in forms of existentialism have a drive, or care-freeness which gives them a drive that I do not have. It's not a case I want to end things, it's a case that "others have it better than I do".

Perhaps it's a contributing reasons as to why humans are generally religious as it fulfils an evolutionary advantage.
YYW
Posts: 36,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:09:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

Actually, it's probably both. Nihilism seems fun and like a good idea when you first dive into it. It's like diving into an icy pool of intellectual invigoration in the beginning, but as time goes on and the real darkness of it starts to sink in, that darkness will change who you are.

I had an undergraduate professor say that if you are a Christian and you can read Nietzsche without losing your faith, then your faith is impenetrable. I have, and I did so mine is. But for most, it doesn't turn out that way and when the means to meaning is stripped away from an individuals life, and all they are left with is the cold and dark reality of this world, there are two options... and you're feeling the least worst of the two right now.

I'd suggest that you read Dostoevsky. The Brothers Karamazov is a good place to start. That might make you feel better... or it might not.
Tsar of DDO
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:09:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

I am pretty sure it's the former, as nihilism is never something I ever wanted to accept, it's just something I have accepted. If I told myself about nihilism 2 years ago I would have probably reflexively defended my thoughts and refused to accept it, like I did with my religious beliefs.

This all being said, I really think my philosophies regarding nihilism are unhealthy for myself. On one hand want my life back, on the other hand I value believing true things. It probably would be possible for me to believe something else and give in to my more irrational side, but it would come at a cost of being dishonest with myself.

I don't know...

Nihilism sucks, I seriously do envy those who really do believe there is purpose in life, and an end to their means which gives them drive and happiness, even if those beliefs are false.

I really do envy those people.

I envy those people whose world is small, and their cares and needs are close to home. Whose lives are full enough not to be bothered with one's life philosophy, or it's implications. I really wish I was more ignorant. I am pretty sure I would be a happier person if that was the case.

Profile: Envisage: Activities - "making stuff up"
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:11:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 6:09:19 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

I am pretty sure it's the former, as nihilism is never something I ever wanted to accept, it's just something I have accepted. If I told myself about nihilism 2 years ago I would have probably reflexively defended my thoughts and refused to accept it, like I did with my religious beliefs.

This all being said, I really think my philosophies regarding nihilism are unhealthy for myself. On one hand want my life back, on the other hand I value believing true things. It probably would be possible for me to believe something else and give in to my more irrational side, but it would come at a cost of being dishonest with myself.

I don't know...

Nihilism sucks, I seriously do envy those who really do believe there is purpose in life, and an end to their means which gives them drive and happiness, even if those beliefs are false.

I really do envy those people.

I envy those people whose world is small, and their cares and needs are close to home. Whose lives are full enough not to be bothered with one's life philosophy, or it's implications. I really wish I was more ignorant. I am pretty sure I would be a happier person if that was the case.

Profile: Envisage: Activities - "making stuff up"

Why would I make something up when it is clearly anecdotal and posted in the personal section about something that is obviously my true position?
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:14:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 6:09:06 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

Actually, it's probably both. Nihilism seems fun and like a good idea when you first dive into it. It's like diving into an icy pool of intellectual invigoration in the beginning, but as time goes on and the real darkness of it starts to sink in, that darkness will change who you are.

I had an undergraduate professor say that if you are a Christian and you can read Nietzsche without losing your faith, then your faith is impenetrable. I have, and I did so mine is. But for most, it doesn't turn out that way and when the means to meaning is stripped away from an individuals life, and all they are left with is the cold and dark reality of this world, there are two options... and you're feeling the least worst of the two right now.

I don't particularly think religion has much to do with it. As I said to Lannan, even if I was still religious, I would still be holding many of the same beliefs, only I wouldn't identify as a nihilist.

I honestly don't understand why you are a Christian though. But then my theological views are much divorced from my philosophical ones,

I'd suggest that you read Dostoevsky. The Brothers Karamazov is a good place to start. That might make you feel better... or it might not.

I will check them out!
YYW
Posts: 36,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:19:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Generally speaking, when you hear people talk about how life has no purpose, that belief is a psychological response to some trauma or feeling of helplessness that characterizes their worldview. That is as true for the postmodernists as it is for any nihilist who believed what he said -and there is a precarious relationship between intellectual pontification and psychological trouble.

Very, very few people can go through traumatic experiences and come out on the other side a better person. Most people break; crumble under the pressure -and even though it takes more pressure to crumble some than others, there are even fewer people on earth who will not break, at least once, in their lifetime.

But the thing to take away from this is that life has all and only the meaning we give it; it can have no more or less. Believing in nihilism is as much as choice as believing in Christianity, or Judaism, or science or any other regime of truth from which you abstract what you think ought to be -and make no mistake you have a choice.

The problem now is that you are more aware of the choices that you have then you were when you believed in God, but you feel compelled to reject your prior way of thinking because you think it's meaningless; that faith in anything you can't see is nothing, irrational. Maybe it is, but reading The Brothers Karamazov might help you sort that out.

I mean, I could tell you the answer... but I'd rather you find it for yourself. It will be more meaningful to you that way.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:20:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 6:14:40 PM, Envisage wrote:
I'd suggest that you read Dostoevsky. The Brothers Karamazov is a good place to start. That might make you feel better... or it might not.

I will check them out!

If you finish it, I'd be very happy to know what you thought. I'd suggest that if you can make it through that book, you'll be ok.
Tsar of DDO
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:24:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 6:11:38 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/4/2015 6:09:19 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

I am pretty sure it's the former, as nihilism is never something I ever wanted to accept, it's just something I have accepted. If I told myself about nihilism 2 years ago I would have probably reflexively defended my thoughts and refused to accept it, like I did with my religious beliefs.

This all being said, I really think my philosophies regarding nihilism are unhealthy for myself. On one hand want my life back, on the other hand I value believing true things. It probably would be possible for me to believe something else and give in to my more irrational side, but it would come at a cost of being dishonest with myself.

I don't know...

Nihilism sucks, I seriously do envy those who really do believe there is purpose in life, and an end to their means which gives them drive and happiness, even if those beliefs are false.

I really do envy those people.

I envy those people whose world is small, and their cares and needs are close to home. Whose lives are full enough not to be bothered with one's life philosophy, or it's implications. I really wish I was more ignorant. I am pretty sure I would be a happier person if that was the case.

Profile: Envisage: Activities - "making stuff up"

Why would I make something up when it is clearly anecdotal and posted in the personal section about something that is obviously my true position?

Because it makes no sense. I've told you before, if everything is meaningless that just means what ever you give meaning is all that more meaningful. If you don't believe that then either kill yourself or convert to theism (assuming you want to change your current mood).
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:26:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

I am pretty sure it's the former, as nihilism is never something I ever wanted to accept, it's just something I have accepted. If I told myself about nihilism 2 years ago I would have probably reflexively defended my thoughts and refused to accept it, like I did with my religious beliefs.

This all being said, I really think my philosophies regarding nihilism are unhealthy for myself. On one hand want my life back, on the other hand I value believing true things. It probably would be possible for me to believe something else and give in to my more irrational side, but it would come at a cost of being dishonest with myself.

I don't know...

Nihilism sucks, I seriously do envy those who really do believe there is purpose in life, and an end to their means which gives them drive and happiness, even if those beliefs are false.

I really do envy those people.

I envy those people whose world is small, and their cares and needs are close to home. Whose lives are full enough not to be bothered with one's life philosophy, or it's implications. I really wish I was more ignorant. I am pretty sure I would be a happier person if that was the case.

As they say, ignorance is bliss. What variation of nihilism are you subscribing to?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:30:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 6:26:08 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

I am pretty sure it's the former, as nihilism is never something I ever wanted to accept, it's just something I have accepted. If I told myself about nihilism 2 years ago I would have probably reflexively defended my thoughts and refused to accept it, like I did with my religious beliefs.

This all being said, I really think my philosophies regarding nihilism are unhealthy for myself. On one hand want my life back, on the other hand I value believing true things. It probably would be possible for me to believe something else and give in to my more irrational side, but it would come at a cost of being dishonest with myself.

I don't know...

Nihilism sucks, I seriously do envy those who really do believe there is purpose in life, and an end to their means which gives them drive and happiness, even if those beliefs are false.

I really do envy those people.

I envy those people whose world is small, and their cares and needs are close to home. Whose lives are full enough not to be bothered with one's life philosophy, or it's implications. I really wish I was more ignorant. I am pretty sure I would be a happier person if that was the case.

As they say, ignorance is bliss. What variation of nihilism are you subscribing to?

Moral & Existential.

Also heavily adopted epistemological concepts too, at the very least rejected the notion of "objective truth".
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:32:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 6:24:28 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/4/2015 6:11:38 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/4/2015 6:09:19 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

I am pretty sure it's the former, as nihilism is never something I ever wanted to accept, it's just something I have accepted. If I told myself about nihilism 2 years ago I would have probably reflexively defended my thoughts and refused to accept it, like I did with my religious beliefs.

This all being said, I really think my philosophies regarding nihilism are unhealthy for myself. On one hand want my life back, on the other hand I value believing true things. It probably would be possible for me to believe something else and give in to my more irrational side, but it would come at a cost of being dishonest with myself.

I don't know...

Nihilism sucks, I seriously do envy those who really do believe there is purpose in life, and an end to their means which gives them drive and happiness, even if those beliefs are false.

I really do envy those people.

I envy those people whose world is small, and their cares and needs are close to home. Whose lives are full enough not to be bothered with one's life philosophy, or it's implications. I really wish I was more ignorant. I am pretty sure I would be a happier person if that was the case.

Profile: Envisage: Activities - "making stuff up"

Why would I make something up when it is clearly anecdotal and posted in the personal section about something that is obviously my true position?

Because it makes no sense. I've told you before, if everything is meaningless that just means what ever you give meaning is all that more meaningful. If you don't believe that then either kill yourself or convert to theism (assuming you want to change your current mood).

The notion of "Giving meaning" makes no sense to me.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 6:33:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/4/2015 6:32:47 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/4/2015 6:24:28 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/4/2015 6:11:38 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/4/2015 6:09:19 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/4/2015 3:44:22 PM, Envisage wrote:
It really does, I have noticed my mental well being has taken a plunge the more I take on this philosophy. Either my belies in nihilism are contributing to my depression, or my depression has made me more susceptible to accepting nihilism.

I am pretty sure it's the former, as nihilism is never something I ever wanted to accept, it's just something I have accepted. If I told myself about nihilism 2 years ago I would have probably reflexively defended my thoughts and refused to accept it, like I did with my religious beliefs.

This all being said, I really think my philosophies regarding nihilism are unhealthy for myself. On one hand want my life back, on the other hand I value believing true things. It probably would be possible for me to believe something else and give in to my more irrational side, but it would come at a cost of being dishonest with myself.

I don't know...

Nihilism sucks, I seriously do envy those who really do believe there is purpose in life, and an end to their means which gives them drive and happiness, even if those beliefs are false.

I really do envy those people.

I envy those people whose world is small, and their cares and needs are close to home. Whose lives are full enough not to be bothered with one's life philosophy, or it's implications. I really wish I was more ignorant. I am pretty sure I would be a happier person if that was the case.

Profile: Envisage: Activities - "making stuff up"

Why would I make something up when it is clearly anecdotal and posted in the personal section about something that is obviously my true position?

Because it makes no sense. I've told you before, if everything is meaningless that just means what ever you give meaning is all that more meaningful. If you don't believe that then either kill yourself or convert to theism (assuming you want to change your current mood).

The notion of "Giving meaning" makes no sense to me.

So then you have no values?