Lucid Dreaming

KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 12:21:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What the hell is this?
Why would I want that? My dreams kick azz!

Most importantly, how does it not differ from daydreaming or using your imagination?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 12:37:10 PM
At 1/5/2015 12:21:59 PM, KhaosMage wrote:
What the hell is this?

Most importantly, how does it not differ from daydreaming or using your imagination?

You're fully conscious when you use your imagination and when you daydream. From start to finish you know that everything is just something you're making up in your head.

When you have a lucid dream, it's in your sleep and your body is unconscious. I think it happens in the middle of the dream, so initially you're immersed and you don't realize that you're in a dream.

I've only experienced a lucid dream once, and I remember it distinctly. I was having your average weird dream where I was in a kids cartoon show, and suddenly I realized I was in a dream. It felt like I had the power to stop it and get up whenever I wanted, but I didn't for some reason. The dream kept going, but I was aware that it was a dream.

It was a pretty weird experience. Definitely completely different from a day dream or using my imagination.
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 12:51:54 PM
At 1/5/2015 12:37:10 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
What the hell is this?

You're fully conscious when you use your imagination and when you daydream. From start to finish you know that everything is just something you're making up in your head.

When you have a lucid dream, it's in your sleep and your body is unconscious. I think it happens in the middle of the dream, so initially you're immersed and you don't realize that you're in a dream.

I've only experienced a lucid dream once, and I remember it distinctly. I was having your average weird dream where I was in a kids cartoon show, and suddenly I realized I was in a dream. It felt like I had the power to stop it and get up whenever I wanted, but I didn't for some reason. The dream kept going, but I was aware that it was a dream.

It was a pretty weird experience. Definitely completely different from a day dream or using my imagination.

Perhaps it depends on the person. I don't know.
I've been told the following, and all are untrue for me:
you cannot die in your dream
you do not dream in color
you cannot read

also, I have dreams where I'm not even there.
I have dream where there is back story.

LOL, I remember a dream once where I said "hey, this is a dream, I don't have to do this" and my boss said "this ain't no dream, get back to work". I was pissed when I woke up.

So, for me, I don't get the difference, but maybe I have them often enough where I don't see them as being special.
I don't know.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 1:02:56 PM
At 1/5/2015 12:51:54 PM, KhaosMage wrote:

you cannot read

Huh, I don't know about the last 2. Lucid dreaming just means you're aware you are dreaming. Never heard any stipulations that have to go with it.

LOL, I remember a dream once where I said "hey, this is a dream, I don't have to do this" and my boss said "this ain't no dream, get back to work". I was pissed when I woke up.

So, for me, I don't get the difference, but maybe I have them often enough where I don't see them as being special.
I don't know.

Maybe lol, some pretty interesting dreams right there.

I have dreams where I frequently have calculus problems I need to solve. I'm always cold when I'm doing them so I can never get a good night's sleep, and my brain feels constantly strained. Problem is, I can't read/see the calculus problems, I just know I'm trying to figure out how to do something. I don't remember what I was doing, but I was definitely trying to solve the calculus problem -.-
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 1:04:05 PM
At 1/5/2015 12:37:10 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
What the hell is this?

you cannot read
Same here.
Me too a lot.
I also have dreams like this.

I don't know.
That may be it or you don't have them at all.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 1:12:41 PM
At 1/5/2015 1:02:56 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

you cannot read

Huh, I don't know about the last 2. Lucid dreaming just means you're aware you are dreaming. Never heard any stipulations that have to go with it.

I meant in general, I've heard people say these things cannot occur in dreams in general.

I don't know.

Maybe lol, some pretty interesting dreams right there.
You don't know the half of it :/

I have dreams where I frequently have calculus problems I need to solve. I'm always cold when I'm doing them so I can never get a good night's sleep, and my brain feels constantly strained. Problem is, I can't read/see the calculus problems, I just know I'm trying to figure out how to do something. I don't remember what I was doing, but I was definitely trying to solve the calculus problem -.-
Are you a student?
Dreams like these are common. Stressed about work/school, you have dreams about them. I can't tell you how many dreams I've had about my car's brakes failing (pizza delivery) or endless lines (cashier) or other such unpleasantness.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 1:16:27 PM
Largely nonsense with regard to conventional considerations as regards consciousness. Really, you control all your dreams, but it's never going to feel that way. Heck, there is no real divide between conscious and unconscious, just the words coming out of your mouth, your presence behind them, makes it seem so. What's actually cool, though, is steering yours/other people's dreams. If I were to say 'only smart people hear music in their dreams' for example...
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 1:20:55 PM
At 1/5/2015 1:16:27 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Largely nonsense with regard to conventional considerations as regards consciousness. Really, you control all your dreams, but it's never going to feel that way. Heck, there is no real divide between conscious and unconscious, just the words coming out of your mouth, your presence behind them, makes it seem so. What's actually cool, though, is steering yours/other people's dreams. If I were to say 'only smart people hear music in their dreams' for example...

We're masterful at deluding the 'presence', basically.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:08:03 PM
What the hell is this?

I wish I could. It sounds like the most awesome thing ever.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:12:19 PM
I had a weird lucid dream once where my family went to a vacation in Minecraft. It was pretty much like going from survival mode to creative mode.

Playing that game for 12 hours straight has its side effects.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:29:41 PM
At 1/5/2015 1:12:41 PM, KhaosMage wrote:
Are you a student?
Dreams like these are common. Stressed about work/school, you have dreams about them. I can't tell you how many dreams I've had about my car's brakes failing (pizza delivery) or endless lines (cashier) or other such unpleasantness.

Yup, I'm in the 12th grade

I'm still waiting for a pleasant dream to come along. Been a while =/
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:44:54 PM
At 1/5/2015 2:12:19 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I had a weird lucid dream once where my family went to a vacation in Minecraft. It was pretty much like going from survival mode to creative mode.

That game is almost the absolute height of absurdity to me (second only to DDO elections). That is a funny f*cking dream though.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:47:47 PM
At 1/5/2015 2:44:54 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

That game is almost the absolute height of absurdity to me (second only to DDO elections). That is a funny f*cking dream though.

What's so absurd about it lol?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:47:56 PM
I've similar dreams to what Skep has, but they're nothing very spectacular. I've also had full-blown waking hallucinations, which are probably the inverse, and were much more spectacular.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:51:18 PM
At 1/5/2015 2:47:47 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/5/2015 2:44:54 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

What's so absurd about it lol?

Well, Skep spends his time building delusion, then realises it in his dream. Games like Minecraft are to sort of break protocol, to insert triviality and ease into them. The DDO elections are the same, all of you pretending like it matters worth a damn. It's delusion, plain and simple.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:52:12 PM
In my dream, which was exactly like Skeps, I played jet-pack laser-tag around my old school, lol.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:00:52 PM
Consciousness is more of an everyday operating system, actually, in contrast to what I said earlier. But once you go to sleep, you fall back into your absoluteness. And that's how hypnosis works, then, in breaking protocol (it's all actually unconscious, just divided up).
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:06:36 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:00:52 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Consciousness is more of an everyday operating system, actually, in contrast to what I said earlier. But once you go to sleep, you fall back into your absoluteness. And that's how hypnosis works, then, in breaking protocol (it's all actually unconscious, just divided up).

Actually, I don't know, lol. Consciousness is definitely given too much credit though. A lot of the words that come out of your mouth are coming from deep down inside you, triggered by something, but it doesn't feel like that. But projecting that presence and control in upon your dreams, then, seems something counter to actual sleep. I don't know what the deal is.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:08:45 PM
Like, morning prayers are a sort of meditation, for example, which summon forth a mindset and reception of the world...... Consciousness is a preciseness, I suppose. The thing that makes the decisions.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:29:00 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:15:22 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I can only believe there is a God.

Can you start a blog called "Badger's thoughts"
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate