Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Oxymoron

jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Men have pointless nipples.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 9:56:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Men's nipples are like pockets on women's jeans. Strictly ornamental.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 1:18:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

I've often wondered about this. I know that some men lactate.

At the end of the day though, it does seem pointless. I came across this article and it made some interesting points:

"Experts at Scientific American explain this as an evolutionary and developmental process of uncoupling between males and females. In simple terms, because men and women receive genetics from both parents, they inherit all the traits of those parents. It isn't until a child becomes distinguished by gender that certain genes are silenced and others allowed to evolve. For men, nipples are there because humans have nipples, but only the female of the species develops them further as a means to nourish offspring."

The article goes on to say that this might not be the end-all explanation though.

"While the logic behind this theory of male nipples is sound, there may be more to it than simple evolution. Research compiled by Live Science indicates that men have nipples so they may actually serve a purpose, but what that purpose is remains unclear. The fact of the matter is that men can actually lactate just like women, and this is true for humans and a number of other male mammals."

"... there are certain circumstances that will cause a man to lactate. According to research, starvation and liver damage can cause men to lactate as can abnormalities of the hypothalamus. While these situations seem to be the result of abnormal hormone regulation in men, they prove that men have nipples that are very functional."


I think it's very interesting to ponder on certain aspects of our own human bodies. At the end of the day, we were thrown into this existence, and it's up to us to define and shape the reality we find ourselves in. Part of that, in my opinion, includes studying and understanding our own bodies.

Thanks for bringing this up :) I doubt this is a response you were expecting from a thread like this, lol, but it caught my full-attention so I delved into it. If you want to read the article in full for yourself: http://www.laopinion.com...
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 1:24:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 1:18:05 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

I've often wondered about this. I know that some men lactate.

At the end of the day though, it does seem pointless. I came across this article and it made some interesting points:

"Experts at Scientific American explain this as an evolutionary and developmental process of uncoupling between males and females. In simple terms, because men and women receive genetics from both parents, they inherit all the traits of those parents. It isn't until a child becomes distinguished by gender that certain genes are silenced and others allowed to evolve. For men, nipples are there because humans have nipples, but only the female of the species develops them further as a means to nourish offspring."

The article goes on to say that this might not be the end-all explanation though.

"While the logic behind this theory of male nipples is sound, there may be more to it than simple evolution. Research compiled by Live Science indicates that men have nipples so they may actually serve a purpose, but what that purpose is remains unclear. The fact of the matter is that men can actually lactate just like women, and this is true for humans and a number of other male mammals."

"... there are certain circumstances that will cause a man to lactate. According to research, starvation and liver damage can cause men to lactate as can abnormalities of the hypothalamus. While these situations seem to be the result of abnormal hormone regulation in men, they prove that men have nipples that are very functional."


I think it's very interesting to ponder on certain aspects of our own human bodies. At the end of the day, we were thrown into this existence, and it's up to us to define and shape the reality we find ourselves in. Part of that, in my opinion, includes studying and understanding our own bodies.

Thanks for bringing this up :) I doubt this is a response you were expecting from a thread like this, lol, but it caught my full-attention so I delved into it. If you want to read the article in full for yourself: http://www.laopinion.com...

Actually, I think this is great. I read once that it's very rare, but men can get beast cancer. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that but I find it fascinating.

Who knows maybe one day a magic pill will make it possible for dad's to nurse the baby. I'm not sure how many men would be into that, but it would be awesome. Heck, male sea horses take care of the babies. Why not male humans? ;)
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 1:34:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 1:24:50 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/11/2015 1:18:05 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

I've often wondered about this. I know that some men lactate.

At the end of the day though, it does seem pointless. I came across this article and it made some interesting points:

"Experts at Scientific American explain this as an evolutionary and developmental process of uncoupling between males and females. In simple terms, because men and women receive genetics from both parents, they inherit all the traits of those parents. It isn't until a child becomes distinguished by gender that certain genes are silenced and others allowed to evolve. For men, nipples are there because humans have nipples, but only the female of the species develops them further as a means to nourish offspring."

The article goes on to say that this might not be the end-all explanation though.

"While the logic behind this theory of male nipples is sound, there may be more to it than simple evolution. Research compiled by Live Science indicates that men have nipples so they may actually serve a purpose, but what that purpose is remains unclear. The fact of the matter is that men can actually lactate just like women, and this is true for humans and a number of other male mammals."

"... there are certain circumstances that will cause a man to lactate. According to research, starvation and liver damage can cause men to lactate as can abnormalities of the hypothalamus. While these situations seem to be the result of abnormal hormone regulation in men, they prove that men have nipples that are very functional."


I think it's very interesting to ponder on certain aspects of our own human bodies. At the end of the day, we were thrown into this existence, and it's up to us to define and shape the reality we find ourselves in. Part of that, in my opinion, includes studying and understanding our own bodies.

Thanks for bringing this up :) I doubt this is a response you were expecting from a thread like this, lol, but it caught my full-attention so I delved into it. If you want to read the article in full for yourself: http://www.laopinion.com...

Actually, I think this is great. I read once that it's very rare, but men can get beast cancer. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that but I find it fascinating.

Thanks! I've heard cases of men getting breast cancer as well. They say it's a disease where malignant cells form in the tissue of the breast. The real question is whether there is a difference between male and female breast cancer. This study provides a really good summation of the difference, although it's pretty heavy in medical terms that even I don't fully understand, lol. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

In short, there is indeed a difference between the two and it seems that women have both a higher risk and greater variation of breast cancers.

Who knows maybe one day a magic pill will make it possible for dad's to nurse the baby. I'm not sure how many men would be into that, but it would be awesome. Heck, male sea horses take care of the babies. Why not male humans? ;)

That's funny you say that because in the first article I shared with the quoted sections they came to that same conclusion (I think in jest)- that perhaps someday men will be able to nurse babies too, lol!!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 9:05:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 1:18:05 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
I know that some men lactate.

what the

i'm actually debating whether or not i should google this.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 10:34:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

Anything can be pointless when put into the proper context
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 2:06:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 9:07:31 AM, Cermank wrote:
woah

Lol, crazy right? It's the fact that some men can lactate that leads some to believe that males having nipples is meaningful. I posted a pretty solid article that touches on this up above during my conversation with Jody, it's a good read!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 4:09:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

You should see me in the cold, and trust me, that is any day now in Michigan. I could cut glass with mine, but I would not guarantee a straight line.
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 4:18:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/10/2015 9:56:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men's nipples are like pockets on women's jeans. Strictly ornamental.

I get the pockets thing. I buy clothes for the Native Americans. It is a break even sort of thing, as a charity, you know, it pays for the cost of doing so. First thing I check is the pockets, and the next thing I check is the zipper, and the next thing is the butt, and the next and last is the knees. If I am looking for girls pants I presume a higher standard for looks and condition. The zipper always has to work. If the butt is gone the pants are gone. If the knees are shot and they are boy pants a lot of boys will tear them worse. I can only take a tax deduction for good to new quality clothes. In some fashions, that is variable; but it costs a lot to ship, and I can't see the point in shipping trash to poor people. They may already have their own.
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 4:19:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 9:05:01 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/11/2015 1:18:05 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
I know that some men lactate.

what the

i'm actually debating whether or not i should google this.

When men or women lactate it is a very bad sign. Natural of course with babies, but otherwise a symptom of cancer.
Clovis
Posts: 191
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 4:50:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

This is not an oxymoron...

Unless you think that nipples are considered points? Or have points?

Even then oxymorons are figures of speech generally, this is just a statement of truth.
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 5:04:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 10:34:05 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

Anything can be pointless when put into the proper context

Which makes up about 95% of what we discuss in the philosophy and religion forums. :D ugh! Maybe more.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 5:06:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 4:09:34 PM, Fido wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

You should see me in the cold, and trust me, that is any day now in Michigan. I could cut glass with mine, but I would not guarantee a straight line.

Oh... I used to live in Michigan. I can relate.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 5:09:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 4:50:24 PM, Clovis wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

This is not an oxymoron...

Unless you think that nipples are considered points? Or have points?

Even then oxymorons are figures of speech generally, this is just a statement of truth.

It's actually not a statement of truth either. Apparently men's nipples aren't as pointless as I thought. ;)
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Clovis
Posts: 191
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 5:09:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 5:09:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/11/2015 4:50:24 PM, Clovis wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

This is not an oxymoron...

Unless you think that nipples are considered points? Or have points?

Even then oxymorons are figures of speech generally, this is just a statement of truth.

It's actually not a statement of truth either. Apparently men's nipples aren't as pointless as I thought. ;)

Well then the whole thing falls to pieces :P
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 5:13:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 5:09:50 PM, Clovis wrote:
At 1/11/2015 5:09:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/11/2015 4:50:24 PM, Clovis wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

This is not an oxymoron...

Unless you think that nipples are considered points? Or have points?

Even then oxymorons are figures of speech generally, this is just a statement of truth.

It's actually not a statement of truth either. Apparently men's nipples aren't as pointless as I thought. ;)

Well then the whole thing falls to pieces :P

I know right! But now I know men can lactate. So it wasn't all for nothing.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Clovis
Posts: 191
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 5:14:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 5:13:38 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/11/2015 5:09:50 PM, Clovis wrote:
At 1/11/2015 5:09:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/11/2015 4:50:24 PM, Clovis wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

This is not an oxymoron...

Unless you think that nipples are considered points? Or have points?

Even then oxymorons are figures of speech generally, this is just a statement of truth.

It's actually not a statement of truth either. Apparently men's nipples aren't as pointless as I thought. ;)

Well then the whole thing falls to pieces :P

I know right! But now I know men can lactate. So it wasn't all for nothing.

#truth
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 10:06:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/11/2015 5:13:38 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/11/2015 5:09:50 PM, Clovis wrote:
At 1/11/2015 5:09:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/11/2015 4:50:24 PM, Clovis wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

This is not an oxymoron...

Unless you think that nipples are considered points? Or have points?

Even then oxymorons are figures of speech generally, this is just a statement of truth.

It's actually not a statement of truth either. Apparently men's nipples aren't as pointless as I thought. ;)

Well then the whole thing falls to pieces :P

I know right! But now I know men can lactate. So it wasn't all for nothing.

If men do lactate is a sign of cancer, or so I have heard. Men can get breast cancer.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:33:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

More proof that evolution is BS. If evolution were true there wouldn't be make nipples. They are only there as a sick joke from our creator.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 3:51:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 12:33:15 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

More proof that evolution is BS. If evolution were true there wouldn't be make nipples. They are only there as a sick joke from our creator.

You're the only one who got that.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 3:52:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 3:51:02 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/12/2015 12:33:15 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

More proof that evolution is BS. If evolution were true there wouldn't be make nipples. They are only there as a sick joke from our creator.

You're the only one who got that.

It helps when you're omnipotent.
gingerbread-man
Posts: 301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:53:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/10/2015 8:57:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Men have pointless nipples.

My nipples are incredibly pointy
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...