Can money buy happiness?

TeaTree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 3:50:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello!
I've written a short opinion piece. My native language is not English, so I would really appreciate it for anyone to correct the grammar and spelling on what I've written. Also I would be very happy to have any feedback on what I've written.
I won't bite ;)
I want to improve my English and I figured the best way is to keep practicing writing and receiving feedback on what I've written.
Thanks in advance for helping me out.
I hope I'm in the right part of the forum.
Cheers

Can money buy happiness?

Nowadays, it is scarcely possible to live without money. Yet, the positive correlation between increasing wealth and happiness is debatable. Whether money can buy happiness may depend on the individual. This means, the contribution of wealth to the fulfilment of one"s needs and desires may ultimately determine one"s answer to the question of whether money can buy happiness. Nevertheless, it is possible to argue that money is the foundation of ultimate happiness.

In the present age, money offers the platform to happiness as it is inextricably linked to our survival in the simplest form and that is, the fulfilment of our basic needs. Money carries the value of our labour, in which we can exchange for goods and services that are essential for our survival. Most people in the world use money on a daily basis to pay for primary needs including water, shelter and food. Fulfilment of these needs may be the source of happiness for some people, while for others, these may only be a hurdle requirement for ultimate happiness. Nonetheless, money offers the foundation to achieve this "ultimate" happiness.

If achieving happiness is dependent on the fulfilment of one"s desires then it is possible to argue that immense wealth may not always bring ultimate happiness. This is because our desires may not always be attainable. Authentic relationships between family members, friends and romantic partners are arguably priceless and cannot be easily purchased. Similarly the desire for immortality is an example to the extreme that demonstrates that one"s wish cannot always be purchased.

It would be inaccurate to provide a generalist answer to the question of whether money can buy happiness. This is because happiness is subjective. If the fulfilment of one"s needs and desires are used as measures of one"s happiness then the validity of the statement that money can buy happiness becomes questionable. Yet, it is hardly arguable that money is essential to one"s existence. Therefore it is possible to state that money can buy the foundation for ultimate happiness.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 6:02:59 AM
Happiness is a mindset. Money is a tool, sometimes people let lack of it ruin their happiness, sometimes they let excess money ruin it.

Just live in the moment and count your blessings.
Nagi1984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 11:06:55 PM
I think money can not buy hapiness but it can help you to buy personal objects that can make your life less stressfull hence you will feel calm and hapier.
for instace if you have a house debt in the bank and you can not pay it. Then you will loose the house. You can be homeless for months or go to a smaller house that you dont like thefore you became depress. What i mean is that money can help you to find happiness in order to give you the equiment you need to acheive your dreams or enjoy yor relatives with less stress
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 7:53:39 AM
At 1/21/2015 7:24:36 AM, Geographia wrote:
http://existentialcomics.com...

+1
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
annka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 9:42:33 AM
Money comes and goes. It is the same with happiness which you achieve with the money- it is temporary happiness. For example- kids want toys. They are saying if they will get a toy then they will be happy. Of course parents buy toys, but kids will not be happy for ever. They will get tired of a toy and they will ask for a new one. I think that money can buy happiness just for a moment, but not forever.
maathildehansen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 2:12:55 AM
At 1/26/2015 9:42:33 AM, annka wrote:
Money comes and goes. It is the same with happiness which you achieve with the money- it is temporary happiness. For example- kids want toys. They are saying if they will get a toy then they will be happy. Of course parents buy toys, but kids will not be happy for ever. They will get tired of a toy and they will ask for a new one. I think that money can buy happiness just for a moment, but not forever.

I agree. Money is a tool to achieve happiness, but only temporary happiness.
You can buy stuff that makes you happy, but they will not make you happy forever.
So I guess in a way that yes; money can buy you happiness (at least the stuff that makes you happy)
RealAmericanWoman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 2:17:30 AM
At 1/27/2015 2:12:55 AM, maathildehansen wrote:
At 1/26/2015 9:42:33 AM, annka wrote:

I agree. Money is a tool to achieve happiness, but only temporary happiness.
You can buy stuff that makes you happy, but they will not make you happy forever.
So I guess in a way that yes; money can buy you happiness (at least the stuff that makes you happy)

I suppose if you can, as you say, buy stuff that makes you temporarily happy,you can also buy stuff that lasts forever which will give you eternal joy?
milleb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 2:20:56 AM
I wouldn't say that money in itself can buy happiness. I think it can buy things to make life "easier". Of course, you have less things to worry about if you're rich - you won't have to worry about paying the rent, the bills etc. But personally I don't think that having a lot of money is enough. In my opinion, love is a big part of happiness - having people you love and who love you. If all you have is money then you're not really rich, are you? I certainly think you need more than "just" money.