Jump to topic:

Philosophy Meeting

phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 5:29:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm starting a philosophy club at my school.

Does anyone have any ideas about T-shirts/content/fundraising/recruiting/anything else?
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 8:20:44 PM
At 1/18/2015 5:29:46 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas about T-shirts/content/fundraising/recruiting/anything else?

You could probably give each member a black sleeveless shirt and with white/grey spray paint and let them spray-paint the face of their favorite philosopher onto the shirt. You could have the art club of your school create the stencils. In addition to being a fun way for the members to express their philosophical standings, it generates attention as another club is involved, allowing for more people to become more intimately aware of your club. Especially since art-types also tend to love philosophy, you could end up with a lot of the art club joining as well.

As for content, I think the club should focus on four things: 1. formulating and understanding logical arguments, 2. prompting members to express and create their own philosophies, 3. to discuss the ideologies of great philosophers (you could probably have a mini reading club, but for philosophy books), and 4. to debate and compare ideologies.
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 9:03:48 PM
At 1/18/2015 8:20:44 PM, Harper wrote:

You could probably give each member a black sleeveless shirt and with white/grey spray paint and let them spray-paint the face of their favorite philosopher onto the shirt. You could have the art club of your school create the stencils. In addition to being a fun way for the members to express their philosophical standings, it generates attention as another club is involved, allowing for more people to become more intimately aware of your club. Especially since art-types also tend to love philosophy, you could end up with a lot of the art club joining as well.

I really like this idea. Only problem is, my school doesn't have an art-club :( Any other suggestions?

As for content, I think the club should focus on four things: 1. formulating and understanding logical arguments, 2. prompting members to express and create their own philosophies, 3. to discuss the ideologies of great philosophers (you could probably have a mini reading club, but for philosophy books), and 4. to debate and compare ideologies.

Hmm. What about for my first meeting?
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 10:08:36 PM
At 1/18/2015 9:03:48 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
At 1/18/2015 8:20:44 PM, Harper wrote:

I really like this idea. Only problem is, my school doesn't have an art-club :( Any other suggestions?
Well, you could try a shirt with a funny philosophy pun on it. Internet suggestions:
"Philosophers do it deeper"
"World's best philosopher-- and in every possible world"
Or a philosoraptor meme printed onto a shirt, those are always funny and they would bring attention to the club, as philosoraptor is a very popular meme.

Hmm. What about for my first meeting?
I would start with a club introduction-- as in you would introduce yourself and have others do the same, expressing their philosophies (maybe having them make a presentation?). You have to think, "Why do these people want to be part of this club? Why did I want to start this club?". If I were you, I'd answer, "Because I want to discuss my philosophies and see what other people think, and I want to meet other people that have a deep interest in philosophy and can hold an intriguing conversation on the subject. I think others want to join for the same reason." Then you'd take whatever answer you gave and try to make an environment that caters to that desire.