Jump to topic:

I just registered 1000 votes AMA

Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 7:32:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've had effectively 3 and a half months worth of voting time. I've seen plenty of patterns and trends, strange debates and talented debaters.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 7:35:10 PM
At 1/18/2015 7:32:12 PM, Zarroette wrote:
I've had effectively 3 and a half months worth of voting time. I've seen plenty of patterns and trends, strange debates and talented debaters.

Whose debates do you like to read most?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 7:43:38 PM
At 1/18/2015 7:35:10 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

GarretKadeDupre's debates were interesting, particularly because he took the side that was generally unpopular.

Considering that I voted on debates of yesteryear, Koopin, FREEDO, Grape, Kleptin and Contradiction are all little known debaters today but appeared quite entertaining and fearsome debaters, making them good reads.

This is all off the top of my head, of course...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 7:45:12 PM
At 1/18/2015 7:43:38 PM, Zarroette wrote:

GarretKadeDupre's debates were interesting, particularly because he took the side that was generally unpopular.

Considering that I voted on debates of yesteryear, Koopin, FREEDO, Grape, Kleptin and Contradiction are all little known debaters today but appeared quite entertaining and fearsome debaters, making them good reads.

Who had the most peculiar topics?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 7:48:59 PM
At 1/18/2015 7:45:12 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

vi_spex, who is still around, has some super-cryptic topics, and the way he argues is often baffling.

imabench comes up with some peculiar stuff, too, arguably the most out of anyone.

Envisage and Wylted also come up with some peculiar topics.

I can't really remember anyone in the past whom consistently came up with strange topics, but then again I haven't voted on every debate.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 12:45:18 AM
At 1/18/2015 7:48:59 PM, Zarroette wrote:

vi_spex, who is still around, has some super-cryptic topics, and the way he argues is often baffling.

imabench comes up with some peculiar stuff, too, arguably the most out of anyone.

I can't really remember anyone in the past whom consistently came up with strange topics, but then again I haven't voted on every debate.

What is your honest opinion of me?
Will you tell Wylted I love him?
Do you believe in philosophy of psychology like Jung and Freud?
Do you have Aussie pride?
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 1:01:29 AM
At 1/19/2015 12:45:18 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 1/18/2015 7:48:59 PM, Zarroette wrote:

What is your honest opinion of me?

You are the greatest Ajab I have ever met.

Will you tell Wylted I love him?

I can't. It will make him blush.

Do you believe in philosophy of psychology like Jung and Freud?

I used Freud to defeat OtakuJordan in a debate, so definitely not. I will not fall for quackery masquerading as social science.

Do you have Aussie pride?

I do, so you're now longer welcome on this thread, foreigner. Please leave; we have reached capacity.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 1:04:22 AM
Have you ever voted on/read any of my debates? I would be interested to hear your opinion of my debating style--any constructive comments would be appreciated too, ofc.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:09:02 PM
Whats the most one-sided debate you've read despite both debaters being considered as very good?

Out of all the troll debates you've read, which argument (in any of them) did you find the funniest?

Have any debates you've read changed your opinion on a topic?

Whats the closest debate you've seen?

Which debate do you think the voters did the worst job on (i.e, you think one side dominated, but the other person won)?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 2:03:16 PM

Congrats! I've got a few hundred more to go before I catch up :)
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 3:18:00 PM
At 1/19/2015 1:04:22 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Have you ever voted on/read any of my debates? I would be interested to hear your opinion of my debating style--any constructive comments would be appreciated too, ofc.

Honestly, I don't think I have. I'll have a good look at your debating style when you post your case in our debate, though, unless I go blind or something.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 3:30:08 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:09:02 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Whats the most one-sided debate you've read despite both debaters being considered as very good?

The Roy vs Mikal Death Penalty debate saw Roy not at his best (although I don't think I voted on that).

Out of all the troll debates you've read, which argument (in any of them) did you find the funniest?

There aren't that many troll debates, and I don't have a good enough memory to remember the funniest one. Although, vi_spex debates have him post some of the most unique arguments, and it becomes funny to watch him argue, after you've read a couple of his debates.

Have any debates you've read changed your opinion on a topic?

No, but I don't think any debate can do that (if you mean "changed" by taking the opposite view of what you believed before). There have been countless debates which have made me rethink about my stance. This is one of the main reasons to vote.

Whats the closest debate you've seen?

The HoF marriage one (I can't remember the names involved). I've also tied my vote on a few (~5/1000).

Which debate do you think the voters did the worst job on (i.e, you think one side dominated, but the other person won)?

Nothing in particular comes to mind, but the older debates had some of the most shocking votes. Just votebomb, counter-votebomb, counter-counter-votebomb because he/she didn't agree. Just a huge mess!
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 3:31:10 PM
At 1/21/2015 7:12:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
lol, you're not much of an egotist, starting an AMA thread and losing interest in it :P

None of the people literally replied to me, so I wouldn't have know that they posted unless I manually checked the thread again. Don't be so quick to judge.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 3:34:12 PM
At 1/21/2015 2:03:16 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

500 = a few hundred? Lol. You could catch me in about 9 days, I reckon. Normally, I burned out after 60 consecutive votes. That will take anywhere from 1 and a half hours and 3 and a half hours, depending on how many ffs you vote.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 3:41:38 PM
At 1/21/2015 3:34:12 PM, Zarroette wrote:

500 = a few hundred? Lol. You could catch me in about 9 days, I reckon. Normally, I burned out after 60 consecutive votes. That will take anywhere from 1 and a half hours and 3 and a half hours, depending on how many ffs you vote.

Lmao, yeah alright maybe a little more than a few hundred haha. I usually do 20-30 debate votes at a time (if I have the time). After that I start to get too mechanized in my voting and don't really give it as much focus as it deserves, so I'll stop myself. I don't think I have A.D.D. but I certainly get bored after an hour or two of straight voting.

You're also def right regarding the quality of debates that are being voted on. I could bang out 20 FF's in the same time that I'd spend reading a full 10,000 character debate over 5 rounds on full immigration assimilation for instance... ;p
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 3:49:49 PM
At 1/21/2015 3:41:38 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Lmao, yeah alright maybe a little more than a few hundred haha. I usually do 20-30 debate votes at a time (if I have the time). After that I start to get too mechanized in my voting and don't really give it as much focus as it deserves, so I'll stop myself. I don't think I have A.D.D. but I certainly get bored after an hour or two of straight voting.

It's not A.D.D. It's definitely fatigue. Humans can't concentrate forever.

You're also def right regarding the quality of debates that are being voted on. I could bang out 20 FF's in the same time that I'd spend reading a full 10,000 character debate over 5 rounds on full immigration assimilation for instance... ;p

At least. One day I pumped out 105 votes in an hour an a half by simply picking ff debates. But you don't learn nearly as much than if you were to read a quality debate...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 3:54:30 PM
At 1/21/2015 3:49:49 PM, Zarroette wrote:

Agreed.

At least. One day I pumped out 105 votes in an hour an a half by simply picking ff debates. But you don't learn nearly as much than if you were to read a quality debate...

Damn girl, props! I totally get what you mean though, it's incredibly easy to just vote on FF's, but it takes a certain degree of understanding and skill to really vote accurately/appropriately on the material-heavy or long debates. I've definitely learned more about random topics from voting on debates than I have from doing any other kind of debate-related activity. Some of the debates are incredibly interesting so I'll literally teach myself some of the unfamiliar terms found within one. Like, I'll have 5 different tabs open next to the debate tab just cross-referencing or educating myself on points that are raised within it.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:01:46 PM
At 1/21/2015 3:54:30 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/21/2015 3:49:49 PM, Zarroette wrote:

Agreed.

Damn girl, props!

Haha :)

I totally get what you mean though, it's incredibly easy to just vote on FF's, but it takes a certain degree of understanding and skill to really vote accurately/appropriately on the material-heavy or long debates. I've definitely learned more about random topics from voting on debates than I have from doing any other kind of debate-related activity. Some of the debates are incredibly interesting so I'll literally teach myself some of the unfamiliar terms found within one. Like, I'll have 5 different tabs open next to the debate tab just cross-referencing or educating myself on points that are raised within it.

Mmm this is far more satisfying and rewarding. That's the best thing about DDO, right? Getting to learn from other people like this. I like your idea about 5 tabs and cross-referencing. It would make it easier to keep track of particular arguments. I should give that a go with the more difficult debates. Great idea :)
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:05:44 PM

What did you do to Wylted> He has left DDO...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:09:37 PM

Why are you so amazing?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:11:45 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:05:44 PM, Envisage wrote:

I talked to him a couple of times. Apparently the enjoyment of such was too much for him, which is completely understandable.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:12:32 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:11:45 PM, Zarroette wrote:

I talked to him a couple of times. Apparently the enjoyment of such was too much for him, which is completely understandable.

Agreed, completely understandable. Sad times.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:13:18 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:09:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Why are you so amazing?

Because I paid Airmax enough shekels so that he would ban-hammer anyone who came close to my amazingness.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:14:44 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:13:18 PM, Zarroette wrote:

Why are you so amazing?

Because I paid Airmax enough shekels so that he would ban-hammer anyone who came close to my amazingness.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com...

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:15:51 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:12:32 PM, Envisage wrote:

My heavy heart weeps.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:16:59 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:15:51 PM, Zarroette wrote:

My heavy heart weeps.

You have no heart, we only dumped soulless criminals in Australia. You are effectively a ginger.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:17:57 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:14:44 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Why are you so amazing?

Airmax as he reads this thread:

https://www.google.com.au...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:18:35 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:17:57 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 1/21/2015 4:14:44 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Why are you so amazing?

Airmax as he reads this thread:

https://www.google.com.au...

You have such a great sense of humor :)

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:21:20 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:16:59 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/21/2015 4:15:51 PM, Zarroette wrote:

My heavy heart weeps.

You have no heart, we only dumped soulless criminals in Australia. You are effectively a ginger.

Well, at least I can be crushed into ginger-ale. The best thing Poms are for is being laughed at for their dumb accents.