Jump to topic:

College students suck

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 10:47:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In the dorms we can put anything we want on our doors. I have seen some people post things like "trust in god", "Jesus is with you", and that kind of stuff. I decided to put something up that said "Atheist Pride".

Well, within a week it was torn up.

I thought, maybe it was just someone having a rough day, so I made a new one that said the same thing. Torn down within a week.

Wtf? Can't handle that someone is an atheist? It isn't even saying something offensive.

So, I have put another, but this time it says the following:
I'm an atheist and PROUD!
Don't like it? Deal with it!
Think I'm wrong? Let's discuss it!
Going to tear this down like the others? You're an as$hole!

I think this one might last... not.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 10:50:41 PM
At 1/22/2015 10:47:40 PM, SNP1 wrote:
In the dorms we can put anything we want on our doors. I have seen some people post things like "trust in god", "Jesus is with you", and that kind of stuff. I decided to put something up that said "Atheist Pride".

I thought, maybe it was just someone having a rough day, so I made a new one that said the same thing. Torn down within a week.

Wtf? Can't handle that someone is an atheist? It isn't even saying something offensive.

If it makes you feel better, am sure a picture of Taylor Swift would get torn down quicker
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 10:56:03 PM
It's probably the hand of God Himself tearing down your sign. Never thought of that one now did you heathen?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 11:12:18 PM

It appears as though you were putting up the sign for a reaction - and you got one. Am not sure what you are proud of though. Its kind of like me being proud that I don't like Taylor Swift (but I kind of guiltily like Shake it off)

Now the new sign makes you look like an angry militant and the 99.5% of people that didn't rip your pride sign down are thinking... man those atheists are grumpy bastards
Not my gumdrop buttons!

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 11:16:00 PM
At 1/22/2015 11:12:18 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:
It appears as though you were putting up the sign for a reaction - and you got one.

The only purpose of the sign was to get people to think. They see someone is an atheist, it gets the thinking going.

Am not sure what you are proud of though. Its kind of like me being proud that I don't like Taylor Swift (but I kind of guiltily like Shake it off)

It is a saying that some friends came up with at a convention I was at to signify pride that you were different than the norm in regards to religion and that you were willing to discuss it.

Now the new sign makes you look like an angry militant and the 99.5% of people that didn't rip your pride sign down are thinking... man those atheists are grumpy bastards

I don't think so. I overheard some people laughing and saying that it was funny (doors are not very soundproof).
#WarOnDDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 11:16:04 PM
Make photo copies of the sign, you'll be good to go.

Also, see if you can catch them in the act. If you're friends with other people on the floor, alert them to the situation and have them be on the lookout.

You could also alert the RA or Hall Admin to what is going on. This is no less abusive than someone tearing down the religious signs on your neighbors' doors, or any other piece of your property.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 11:19:51 PM
At 1/22/2015 11:16:00 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/22/2015 11:12:18 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:
It appears as though you were putting up the sign for a reaction - and you got one.

The only purpose of the sign was to get people to think. They see someone is an atheist, it gets the thinking going.

Am not sure what you are proud of though. Its kind of like me being proud that I don't like Taylor Swift (but I kind of guiltily like Shake it off)

It is a saying that some friends came up with at a convention I was at to signify pride that you were different than the norm in regards to religion and that you were willing to discuss it.

I don't think so. I overheard some people laughing and saying that it was funny (doors are not very soundproof).

Did you have to put the dollar symbol on the sign as well to ensure it wasn't considered offensive language?
Not my gumdrop buttons!

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 11:21:16 PM
At 1/22/2015 11:19:51 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:
Did you have to put the dollar symbol on the sign as well to ensure it wasn't considered offensive language?

No, I had to here though. Where I am from, it isn't really "offensive language" to call someone an as$hole, not anymore than "douche-bag", "dick", etc.
#WarOnDDO
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 11:25:36 PM
I got excited when I saw the title
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 11:26:36 PM
Not sure why you would say that "college students (in general) suck" when its likely that only one person is doing this, but whatever.

A sign like that isn't going to make people "think" because religion is a highly emotional topic, and most people have a confirmation bias for their beliefs. Thats why I never go out of my way to discuss it with people.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:30:33 AM

O.o Show us some pics!
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:34:23 AM
At 1/23/2015 10:30:33 AM, Envisage wrote:

O.o Show us some pics!

Sorry, already got torn up. Faster than the last ones.
#WarOnDDO
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:35:35 AM
At 1/23/2015 10:34:23 AM, SNP1 wrote:

O.o Show us some pics!

Spray anthrax on it. Check to see who gets sick and you will have your culprit.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:37:38 AM
At 1/23/2015 10:35:35 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/23/2015 10:34:23 AM, SNP1 wrote:

O.o Show us some pics!

Spray anthrax on it. Check to see who gets sick and you will have your culprit.

Never thought of that before...

Let me make a new sign that says:
I am an atheist, don't touch this sign

Now we can see who... Oh, everyone is getting sick
#WarOnDDO
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:39:54 AM
At 1/22/2015 10:56:03 PM, thett3 wrote:
It's probably the hand of God Himself tearing down your sign. Never thought of that one now did you heathen?
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 1:48:15 AM

Do an experiment put up two signs........

An atheist one and a christian one.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 1:49:53 AM
At 1/22/2015 10:56:03 PM, thett3 wrote:
Tsar of DDO
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 2:12:18 AM

Christians are such tolerant people. And they wonder why atheists don't take them seriously.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 4:20:21 AM

Did they perform an autopsy to make sure that the signs were torn? I just can't believe that there are people in this world that tear signs ;*(
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 4:28:43 AM
Definitely let your RA know and have some back-up copies at hand, just in case.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 5:25:04 AM
Meanwhile in other parts of the world:
http://misguidedchildren.com...

lol. Both on both sides of the religious argument will cop flak for their pride. Some will just get it worse than others.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:05:19 AM

Cover the next one in glitter. You'll know who touches it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 10:49:30 AM
Let's get real though tha last sign was just asking to be torn down. I would tear down any sign that was worded that way no matter what religion just out of spite because you sounded so butthurt
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 10:51:56 AM
I second what thett3 said. I also think it's f*cking retarded sticking up atheism stickers in general, though. I mean, what do you think you're advertising exactly?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 10:55:05 AM
"I am an atheist and PROUD!"

lmao
Poor atheists, having to live their atheism in secrecy, not being able to utter their prayers of 'God is dead' in public. :(
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 11:02:29 AM
I mean, putting up an atheism sticker is literally to say only that there is no hope such as conceived of by the religiously minded, in your opinion. Put up a f*cking humanism sticker or something, dumbass.
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 6:24:57 PM
At 1/22/2015 11:21:16 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/22/2015 11:19:51 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

No, I had to here though. Where I am from, it isn't really "offensive language" to call someone an as$hole, not anymore than "douche-bag", "dick", etc.

This site is so prudish. The other day I checked my text multiple times because the "profanity" flag kept coming up, finally I found that the offending word was a** and I didn't even to say "butt", I was referring to the animal.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 6:26:35 PM
At 1/24/2015 10:49:30 AM, thett3 wrote:
Let's get real though tha last sign was just asking to be torn down. I would tear down any sign that was worded that way no matter what religion just out of spite because you sounded so butthurt

I don't think tearing up other people's property because you are offended by it is acceptable, although it seems you disagree.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.