Jump to topic:

Kids should cry and I mean it

debatingtheworld.com
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:14:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
There are two sides to every story and letting your kids suffer is not the exception. Here are a few reasons why you should.

http://goo.gl...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:23:10 AM
At 1/23/2015 10:14:55 AM, debatingtheworld.com wrote:
There are two sides to every story and letting your kids suffer is not the exception. Here are a few reasons why you should.

Stop advertising your blog--it's the equivalent of spam, especially when that's all you're doing on the forums.
debatingtheworld.com
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:27:37 AM
At 1/23/2015 10:23:10 AM, RevNge wrote:

Stop advertising your blog--it's the equivalent of spam, especially when that's all you're doing on the forums.

Sorry if you feel that way. I would gladly answer any intelligent remarks you make without linking to my blog. I just want to start the conversation and thought the article might help. Do you have any better way?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:29:17 AM
At 1/23/2015 10:27:37 AM, debatingtheworld.com wrote:

Sorry if you feel that way. I would gladly answer any intelligent remarks you make without linking to my blog. I just want to start the conversation and thought the article might help. Do you have any better way?

>.> Sorry, I should rephrase my question. Didn't you already post this topic already, though?
debatingtheworld.com
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:33:41 AM
At 1/23/2015 10:29:17 AM, RevNge wrote:
At 1/23/2015 10:27:37 AM, debatingtheworld.com wrote:

>.> Sorry, I should rephrase my question. Didn't you already post this topic already, though?

I posted it in two sections cause I thought it was relevant for both and wanted to get opinions from different people. Is that against the rules or something?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:44:19 AM

There are some grains of truth in what was written and some hyperbola. I didn't care about the admonishing part directed at kids for committing suicide because they didn't feel accepted.

I'm somewhat lucky because I have never really giving a rats arsed about what people think of me other than what I can control such as quality of my work, but a person who commits suicide has significant emotional challenges which are not going to be solved by simply teaching your child to accept adversity. In other terms suicide is generally not the result of a spoiled child.

As far as raising kids I agree with the sentiment, teaching on how to deal with handling adversity is extremely important. Along with that, which hardly anyone advocates teaching your kids is when to quit. We have a culture that stigmatizes quitting. Smart people understand though there is a point to things where the monetary and emotional costs of not quitting far exceed quitting and finding a new area to apply physical and mental resources that can be more productive. On the flip side one has to make sure doesn't produce a culture of quitting when ever things get challenging. it is a fine line to walk.

Quitters do win and people who have emotional control to handle lives ups and downs are happier. Happy winning children = happy winning adults = happy winning society.

The last thing I would pick on is the sentiment that rich = less ability to handle adversity. I have seen studies that indicate richer folks are more likely to be rude when driving vehicles. That may be more of a sense of entitlement. A poor person will be just as likely to have an emotional outburst when feels an entitlement has been violated. The difference is the belief of what is an entitlement.

So not only is emotional control important to teach (IE: anger management or avoiding knee jerk reactions), but also a good standard of what one should expect and not expect as an entitlement.

IE: You are not entitled to only have an assignment from your boss that is in your job description. Your do have an entitlement to be treated professionally although your ability to control in that situation that is ultimately whether you want to work through a demeaning boss or find a new job.
debatingtheworld.com
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 11:00:40 AM
At 1/23/2015 10:44:19 AM, slo1 wrote:

There are some grains of truth in what was written and some hyperbola. I didn't care about the admonishing part directed at kids for committing suicide because they didn't feel accepted.

I'm somewhat lucky because I have never really giving a rats arsed about what people think of me other than what I can control such as quality of my work, but a person who commits suicide has significant emotional challenges which are not going to be solved by simply teaching your child to accept adversity. In other terms suicide is generally not the result of a spoiled child.

As far as raising kids I agree with the sentiment, teaching on how to deal with handling adversity is extremely important. Along with that, which hardly anyone advocates teaching your kids is when to quit. We have a culture that stigmatizes quitting. Smart people understand though there is a point to things where the monetary and emotional costs of not quitting far exceed quitting and finding a new area to apply physical and mental resources that can be more productive. On the flip side one has to make sure doesn't produce a culture of quitting when ever things get challenging. it is a fine line to walk.

Quitters do win and people who have emotional control to handle lives ups and downs are happier. Happy winning children = happy winning adults = happy winning society.

The last thing I would pick on is the sentiment that rich = less ability to handle adversity. I have seen studies that indicate richer folks are more likely to be rude when driving vehicles. That may be more of a sense of entitlement. A poor person will be just as likely to have an emotional outburst when feels an entitlement has been violated. The difference is the belief of what is an entitlement.

So not only is emotional control important to teach (IE: anger management or avoiding knee jerk reactions), but also a good standard of what one should expect and not expect as an entitlement.

That's a great answer. Thanks for that. I agree with you. The sentiment for the article is that kids should be able to handle adversity and some times parents are the cause of their lack of emotional resources in the matter.

The rich kids remark comes from experience. I was "lucky" enough to deal with many of them and that idea that whatever I do can be fixed with my money or my parents will take care of it is a strong thing. I've seen them lack those things for a minute about the smallest things and feel backed into a corner.

About the suicide remarks, I do believe that kids that could handle rejection and analyze things better would have a better chance to survive suicidal thoughts or look for the help necessary and that's what I meant. The same with depression.

Again, thanks for the comment.