Total Posts:75|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What kind of student are you?

Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 11:59:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was pretty studious at school. Completing home work on time, setting aside problems to ask the teacher while being taught the chapter in school, group discussions of difficult problems and everything. Then college happened.

I think most of my attitude was shaped by our school policy of herding all the students with +90% marks in finals in a different section, so the competition used to be pretty tough. And there was this sense of 'elitism', with students failing to maintain a +90% grade being kicked out of the section and stuff, so it was pretty hunger games-esque back in school.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:05:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/23/2015 11:59:21 PM, Cermank wrote:
I was pretty studious at school. Completing home work on time, setting aside problems to ask the teacher while being taught the chapter in school, group discussions of difficult problems and everything. Then college happened.

I think most of my attitude was shaped by our school policy of herding all the students with +90% marks in finals in a different section, so the competition used to be pretty tough. And there was this sense of 'elitism', with students failing to maintain a +90% grade being kicked out of the section and stuff, so it was pretty hunger games-esque back in school.

lol I also had a student-eat-student high school. What changed in college? Where did you attend?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:13:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 12:05:24 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 1/23/2015 11:59:21 PM, Cermank wrote:
I was pretty studious at school. Completing home work on time, setting aside problems to ask the teacher while being taught the chapter in school, group discussions of difficult problems and everything. Then college happened.

I think most of my attitude was shaped by our school policy of herding all the students with +90% marks in finals in a different section, so the competition used to be pretty tough. And there was this sense of 'elitism', with students failing to maintain a +90% grade being kicked out of the section and stuff, so it was pretty hunger games-esque back in school.

lol I also had a student-eat-student high school. What changed in college?

lol, just growing up, I think. I liked economics, so it wasn't such a headache studying it. Plus college generally focuses a lot more on discussions and understanding, getting marks didn't really rely on mugging up stuff like back at school. The valuation placed on marks wasn't that high in college.

Where did you attend?

I doubt you'd know it, its a pretty well known college in India though.
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:15:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?

I have straight A's, skipped a grade, and take classes several years ahead of my grade, but my teachers probably think I'm lazy. For instance, I *always* fall asleep in 2nd Period and I end up never taking notes, yet I managed to ace the semester exam somehow... >.>

Unfortunately, I have a C in English II because I forgot about an exam I had to make up. I made up it a few weeks ago so my grade report says 98% but it still says it's a C. -.-

I also do homework at the latest minute possible. Half of the time I end up doing it in the class it was supposed to be due in (e.g. writing eight paragraphs in twenty minutes was a new record for me :3) and one of my teachers would always look at me whenever I did. So, yeah, I guess I'm somewhat smart but I'm a terrible, terrible student. LOL
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:21:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?

A hairy one.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:27:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 12:13:45 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/24/2015 12:05:24 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 1/23/2015 11:59:21 PM, Cermank wrote:
I was pretty studious at school. Completing home work on time, setting aside problems to ask the teacher while being taught the chapter in school, group discussions of difficult problems and everything. Then college happened.

I think most of my attitude was shaped by our school policy of herding all the students with +90% marks in finals in a different section, so the competition used to be pretty tough. And there was this sense of 'elitism', with students failing to maintain a +90% grade being kicked out of the section and stuff, so it was pretty hunger games-esque back in school.

lol I also had a student-eat-student high school. What changed in college?

lol, just growing up, I think. I liked economics, so it wasn't such a headache studying it. Plus college generally focuses a lot more on discussions and understanding, getting marks didn't really rely on mugging up stuff like back at school. The valuation placed on marks wasn't that high in college.

Where did you attend?

I doubt you'd know it, its a pretty well known college in India though.

Then the million dollar question is did you do as well in college as you did prior?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:29:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 12:15:18 AM, RevNge wrote:
At 1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?

I have straight A's, skipped a grade, and take classes several years ahead of my grade, but my teachers probably think I'm lazy. For instance, I *always* fall asleep in 2nd Period and I end up never taking notes, yet I managed to ace the semester exam somehow... >.>

How the hell...lol. There was one class in college that I couldn't stand. Intro to Microbiology, I think. I came to the first two classes, skipped the next ten, then came back for the final. It wasn't pleasant lol

Unfortunately, I have a C in English II because I forgot about an exam I had to make up. I made up it a few weeks ago so my grade report says 98% but it still says it's a C. -.-

That's just for spite.

I also do homework at the latest minute possible. Half of the time I end up doing it in the class it was supposed to be due in (e.g. writing eight paragraphs in twenty minutes was a new record for me :3) and one of my teachers would always look at me whenever I did. So, yeah, I guess I'm somewhat smart but I'm a terrible, terrible student. LOL

lol Jesus. Do you think part of that is because you know you'll do well on the assignments regardless?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:29:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 12:21:00 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?

A hairy one.

Never shave.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:30:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 12:29:13 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 1/24/2015 12:15:18 AM, RevNge wrote:
At 1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?

I have straight A's, skipped a grade, and take classes several years ahead of my grade, but my teachers probably think I'm lazy. For instance, I *always* fall asleep in 2nd Period and I end up never taking notes, yet I managed to ace the semester exam somehow... >.>

How the hell...lol. There was one class in college that I couldn't stand. Intro to Microbiology, I think. I came to the first two classes, skipped the next ten, then came back for the final. It wasn't pleasant lol

I remember when I skipped a club for twenty meetings or so until the end of the school year. The teacher was not happy. XD
Unfortunately, I have a C in English II because I forgot about an exam I had to make up. I made up it a few weeks ago so my grade report says 98% but it still says it's a C. -.-

That's just for spite.

I hope so, because I don't want my 4.2 or so GPA to be at 3.6 or something. >.>
I also do homework at the latest minute possible. Half of the time I end up doing it in the class it was supposed to be due in (e.g. writing eight paragraphs in twenty minutes was a new record for me :3) and one of my teachers would always look at me whenever I did. So, yeah, I guess I'm somewhat smart but I'm a terrible, terrible student. LOL

lol Jesus. Do you think part of that is because you know you'll do well on the assignments regardless?

Well, I get full credit for some odd reason...must be favoritism. :3
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:33:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?

I'm the student who usually falls asleep during lectures but regularly aces his tests... I should really start getting more sleep.

I suppose the driving force behind my education is my desire to succeed in life, and bring my family honor.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:33:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 12:13:45 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/24/2015 12:05:24 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 1/23/2015 11:59:21 PM, Cermank wrote:
I was pretty studious at school. Completing home work on time, setting aside problems to ask the teacher while being taught the chapter in school, group discussions of difficult problems and everything. Then college happened.

I think most of my attitude was shaped by our school policy of herding all the students with +90% marks in finals in a different section, so the competition used to be pretty tough. And there was this sense of 'elitism', with students failing to maintain a +90% grade being kicked out of the section and stuff, so it was pretty hunger games-esque back in school.

lol I also had a student-eat-student high school. What changed in college?

lol, just growing up, I think. I liked economics, so it wasn't such a headache studying it. Plus college generally focuses a lot more on discussions and understanding, getting marks didn't really rely on mugging up stuff like back at school. The valuation placed on marks wasn't that high in college.

Where did you attend?

I doubt you'd know it, its a pretty well known college in India though.

There's two things about college I've noticed:

a) college is a lot more difficult than high school, so average grades in college would be considered good grades in high school.
b) college is much more about self-discpline. There's a lot less work but they give you the work so that you pace yourself week-by-week rather than day-by-day. You also have to space out your studying a lot more. In high school there's a much more rigid school-study structure. College your schedule is all over the place.

For me in college, I also got extremely arrogant in my freshman year which put me at a huge disadvantage later in college. First year was all review so I found myself doing really well in my classes while putting in very little effort. The same didn't apply later down the road. There was also a lot less I had for motivation in college. In high school, cross country and track and field really increased my discpline. In college I didn't have any of that.

I'm working right now but I might want to go back to graduate school. But I know at this moment I don't have the discpline to do well and it's something I really need to focus on. Just trying to figure out ways to improve my productivity.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:39:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 12:27:15 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 1/24/2015 12:13:45 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 1/24/2015 12:05:24 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 1/23/2015 11:59:21 PM, Cermank wrote:
I was pretty studious at school. Completing home work on time, setting aside problems to ask the teacher while being taught the chapter in school, group discussions of difficult problems and everything. Then college happened.

I think most of my attitude was shaped by our school policy of herding all the students with +90% marks in finals in a different section, so the competition used to be pretty tough. And there was this sense of 'elitism', with students failing to maintain a +90% grade being kicked out of the section and stuff, so it was pretty hunger games-esque back in school.

lol I also had a student-eat-student high school. What changed in college?

lol, just growing up, I think. I liked economics, so it wasn't such a headache studying it. Plus college generally focuses a lot more on discussions and understanding, getting marks didn't really rely on mugging up stuff like back at school. The valuation placed on marks wasn't that high in college.

Where did you attend?

I doubt you'd know it, its a pretty well known college in India though.

Then the million dollar question is did you do as well in college as you did prior?

Nope. Pretty average, although I did understand it a lot better than i understood school. But that's the thing, it really didn't matter at college- because your 'success' in college was based in part on marks, and in part on building your CV. I think my college experience and environment helped me gain a huge advantage in my overall 'marketability' factor in the job market though.

But marks, definitely not. I got like an equivalent of 97% at school, and an average of 77% agg at college.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:47:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?

I never did homework if I didn't have to in order to learn the material. I hated the idea of busy work, and refused to do it on principle. So my grades varied pretty wildly. Usually, if a class was challenging I did better in it. I did very well on papers and tests, and on most presentations. Homework grades were usually horrible, and I HATED group projects; I always wanted to work alone for everything.

College was much better, because I was a biology major and only really had classes in most cases with other biology or chem majors. These had high standards and a fast pace. I also minored in psychology, and loved the professors, but the psych majors by and large annoyed me because they were whiny. I had this one class in behavioral psychology which required us to write around five ten page papers over the course of the class, to read from and discuss the text, and to do an hour long final presentation with a twenty page paper. The professor was enthusiastic, knowledgable, and fair. It was also her first year teaching there, and there was such a rash of complaints that she was forced to dumb the course down. It is still, to this day, one of my favorite courses. I loved my final presentation, on how the perception of beauty in various cultures was guided by conditioning.

But anyway, that's the kind of environment that I thrive in. I got A's in physics, in botany, in my hard psych courses, plant communities, intro to literature (lots of readings and essays) and in biochemistry. I got a B+ in comparative anatomy that took me about 8 hours of extra course work a week to obtain, and I adored that class as well. I got Cs in some of the easiest courses, those tailored to agriculture majors (which all included a dumbed-down version of botany for 1/3 of the class), and the boring psych classes. My favorite of all was my graduation project, which was a 25 page research paper and an hour long presentation on the coevolution of myrmecophytic mutualism.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 5:42:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was one part prodigy, one part complete disaster, one part massive flirt, lol. I don't think I've properly been a student yet. Poetaster once told me he figured I had a certain element of renegade wit about me, and I think that's correct. In college, I was nicknamed Good Will Hunting.

The past few weeks I've been doing some intensive strength training, though, and I'm wondering if this isn't me building myself some real ambition. It's interesting, y'know? I mean, I still have my few self-destructive tendencies, and it's something to wonder at, even for myself, which side's going to win out. I'm still not overly ambitious, though; not outside of wanting to get absolutely shredded, lol...

I have a few funny memories of school, which should probably say a lot about the student I was. I had this one eccentric and cross-eyed math teacher, for example, who I used often meet in the bookies when I'd be bunking school. We had this arrangement where neither of us would rat out the other, lol. She'd come up to me the first time, given me a little bit of a nod, and said, "You say nothing, and I'll say nothing" ....Absolutely hilarious. Otherwise I was probably stoned or graffitiing the walls or flirting. Then I had a cousin commit suicide and I went and enrolled in a year course of sociology, which I very quickly got expelled from, but not before that teacher whispering 'very, very good' under her breath about me a whole lot. No, I don't think I've properly become a student yet.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 5:44:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I also never did homework, lol. I had one class where there was only 3 of us in it (an applied math class), and I still never did homework. And I still blew that class away, too.
DarthVitiosus
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:03:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?

I was and still am probably one of the worse students. I usually laugh at the students who study, tried hard, and got A's. After all I spent time in class drawing, doing homework, reading a book that wasn't for school, or playing games and still getting A's and B's with no effort to get on the Dean's List. There will always be a difference between natural talent and those who require hard work. I have more of a natural talent for schoolwork so I don't need to study.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 11:29:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?

I was the student that professors either loved or hated due to me always challenging them with questions. Students always wanted me in their study groups, I guess because they liked the questions I'd ask. I didn't have to study much in college, usually the night before the exam would be enough to secure at-least a B, and most of the time I'd still earn A grades overall. I was never a part of the Greek life, I rushed and received the chip but when I found out it costs money I said, "Yeah... I'm not paying for friends". I graduated in December but still meet with a handful of my old professors from time to time for tea or lunch.

For me, I'll need to retrain myself study-wise once I enter law school, because studying the night before is the last thing anyone should do. Prepping for the LSAT is helping me get in the habit of 10-12 hour study sessions though, so that's good.

To answer your question specifically, I always learned better with hands-on experience. I needed to be interested in the subject if I was going to give it my all. That was why a major setback for me was the required math courses in college. I knew that I'd never need to use algebra or calculus while in a law career, so it was incredibly hard finding the motivation to pass those classes. For my future at law school, it'll be the fact that I know that if I try my hardest to be as successful as possible in my law courses it'll lead to a better career opportunity, which will serve as my motivation.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 11:55:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 11:44:21 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I freak people out with how good at math I am, and I enjoy it.

Fite me bruh
thett3
Posts: 14,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:03:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I never took high school seriously because I didn't really care where I went to college (I actually didn't plan on going until my junior year) and in the earlier years there was a lot of busy work that I just wasn't going to do. I still got pretty good grades though because AP classes at my school were heavily essay based and I was a good writer by high school standards. In college I get good grades because they actually matter for employment and grad school if I choose to do that
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:07:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 12:33:14 AM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?

I'm the student who usually falls asleep during lectures but regularly aces his tests... I should really start getting more sleep.

I suppose the driving force behind my education is my desire to succeed in life, and bring my family honor.

The family aspect is big with me, too. I'm the first in my family to graduate from college and it's a big deal to them. They call me professor and doctor all the time. Just this Christmas, I saw my older cousin for the first time in years and he asked when I'm going to "make that money and come back and help us." It can be a struggle to feel that responsibility to provide for them while still seeking out your own path, you know?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:09:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 11:55:40 AM, RevNge wrote:
At 1/24/2015 11:44:21 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I freak people out with how good at math I am, and I enjoy it.

Fite me bruh

I'll fight you when you're looking like Mishima. ;)
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 12:10:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 12:09:20 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/24/2015 11:55:40 AM, RevNge wrote:
At 1/24/2015 11:44:21 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I freak people out with how good at math I am, and I enjoy it.

Fite me bruh

I'll fight you when you're looking like Mishima. ;)

http://cdn.alltheragefaces.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 1:43:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 12:33:15 AM, darkkermit wrote:

There's two things about college I've noticed:

a) college is a lot more difficult than high school, so average grades in college would be considered good grades in high school.
b) college is much more about self-discpline. There's a lot less work but they give you the work so that you pace yourself week-by-week rather than day-by-day. You also have to space out your studying a lot more. In high school there's a much more rigid school-study structure. College your schedule is all over the place.

For me in college, I also got extremely arrogant in my freshman year which put me at a huge disadvantage later in college. First year was all review so I found myself doing really well in my classes while putting in very little effort. The same didn't apply later down the road. There was also a lot less I had for motivation in college. In high school, cross country and track and field really increased my discpline. In college I didn't have any of that.

I'm working right now but I might want to go back to graduate school. But I know at this moment I don't have the discpline to do well and it's something I really need to focus on. Just trying to figure out ways to improve my productivity.

What would you go to grad school for?

The school/life balance is one of the biggest struggles for grad school. It's essentially a 12 hour day, 7 days a week. Between classes, research, and real-world responsibilities, it's incredibly easy to fall behind. On the flip side, if you don't incorporate personal activities, you'll burn out within a few semesters.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 1:46:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 12:47:29 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 1/23/2015 11:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...or were you, if you are no longer in school.

I've spent all week reading about educational theories and I need to hear from real people for a change. How were/are you in school? What shaped your educational attitudes and behaviors?

I never did homework if I didn't have to in order to learn the material. I hated the idea of busy work, and refused to do it on principle. So my grades varied pretty wildly. Usually, if a class was challenging I did better in it. I did very well on papers and tests, and on most presentations. Homework grades were usually horrible, and I HATED group projects; I always wanted to work alone for everything.

College was much better, because I was a biology major and only really had classes in most cases with other biology or chem majors. These had high standards and a fast pace. I also minored in psychology, and loved the professors, but the psych majors by and large annoyed me because they were whiny. I had this one class in behavioral psychology which required us to write around five ten page papers over the course of the class, to read from and discuss the text, and to do an hour long final presentation with a twenty page paper. The professor was enthusiastic, knowledgable, and fair. It was also her first year teaching there, and there was such a rash of complaints that she was forced to dumb the course down. It is still, to this day, one of my favorite courses. I loved my final presentation, on how the perception of beauty in various cultures was guided by conditioning.

But anyway, that's the kind of environment that I thrive in. I got A's in physics, in botany, in my hard psych courses, plant communities, intro to literature (lots of readings and essays) and in biochemistry. I got a B+ in comparative anatomy that took me about 8 hours of extra course work a week to obtain, and I adored that class as well. I got Cs in some of the easiest courses, those tailored to agriculture majors (which all included a dumbed-down version of botany for 1/3 of the class), and the boring psych classes. My favorite of all was my graduation project, which was a 25 page research paper and an hour long presentation on the coevolution of myrmecophytic mutualism.

Haha you're right about psychology majors being whiny. I should know, as I was one. Biology, psychology, and agriculture sound like an interesting mix. What was your post-graduation plan?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 1:48:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 5:50:11 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Thus far, I have been a student of myself.

What's motivating you to do the strength training?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 1:59:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 1:48:02 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 1/24/2015 5:50:11 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Thus far, I have been a student of myself.

What's motivating you to do the strength training?

It's hard to say. Perhaps I've been teetering on the edge of complete self-destruction for quite some time, and this is the most immediate counterbalance. Maybe it was my grandfather dying, something to do with how he'd been a complete tank of a man. I don't know dude, lol. Motivation's a tricky one for us modern-day kids. It's not sink or swim anymore. I guess we just have to find a taste for life.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 2:00:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've always thought you were interesting as far as motivation goes, Maikuru. Still a comic book kid. :P