Jump to topic:

I'm Gonna Try Out Edeb8

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 7:25:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I know multiple members have said this before, but after recently viewing the website and being very impressed by its mechanics, I'm going to be hanging out there for a bit. I'll still be on DDO, but I'll be splitting some of my time between here and Edeb8.
Nolite Timere
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 7:26:35 PM
At 1/27/2015 7:25:38 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
I know multiple members have said this before, but after recently viewing the website and being very impressed by its mechanics, I'm going to be hanging out there for a bit. I'll still be on DDO, but I'll be splitting some of my time between here and Edeb8.

See you there.
Senpai has noticed you.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 7:27:22 PM
Ok.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 7:44:19 PM
I just checked out the site and I couldn't tell the difference. Could someone explain them to me?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 7:56:49 PM
At 1/27/2015 7:44:19 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I just checked out the site and I couldn't tell the difference. Could someone explain them to me?

Edeb8 is just more focused on debating. It also has less members.
There is a lot less clutter: edeb8 is much cleaner than DDO. The people who are there are generally more dedicated to debating and thus can be considered fairly decent debaters. Average debating prowess on edeb8 is probably higher.
That's about it. DDO on the other hand has an attractive social networking and a jank but more competitive ELO system. :)
Senpai has noticed you.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 1:54:57 PM
At 1/27/2015 7:56:49 PM, Beginner wrote:

There is a lot less clutter: edeb8 is much cleaner than DDO. The people who are there are generally more dedicated to debating and thus can be considered fairly decent debaters. Average debating prowess on edeb8 is probably higher.
That's about it. DDO on the other hand has an attractive social networking and a jank but more competitive ELO system. :)

Gotcha, thanks.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 3:50:42 PM
At 1/28/2015 1:54:57 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Gotcha, thanks.

Also, with the addition of cross-examination via text, debates should theoretically take twice as long because you have to ask your opponent a bunch of questions and wait days for a response.

While I like cross-examination in live debates, I think it slows down a text debate too much and the whole point is kind of defeated when you can't really catch your opponent off-guard and they have as long as they want to think of a response.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 3:53:21 PM
At 1/28/2015 3:50:42 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Gotcha, thanks.

Also, with the addition of cross-examination via text, debates should theoretically take twice as long because you have to ask your opponent a bunch of questions and wait days for a response.

While I like cross-examination in live debates, I think it slows down a text debate too much and the whole point is kind of defeated when you can't really catch your opponent off-guard and they have as long as they want to think of a response.

Cross examination is optional on edeb8. :)
Senpai has noticed you.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 5:16:03 PM
At 1/28/2015 3:50:42 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Gotcha, thanks.

Text debates are too slow for me as it is.

I hardly have the attention span for the sort of conversation system we have here in the forums.

It's like debating with people in other states in the 1800's.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 11:13:55 PM
At 1/27/2015 7:25:38 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

I'm doing a debate on that site right now. This is me giving it a chance.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 11:21:40 PM
DDO master race
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross