Jump to topic:

Subutai AMA

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 10:28:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Apparently these are popular again (for around the 10th time). I've actually never done one, so let's see how it goes. I want to get to 5000 posts. I'm close now.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 10:30:57 PM
At 1/30/2015 10:28:01 PM, Subutai wrote:
Apparently these are popular again (for around the 10th time). I've actually never done one, so let's see how it goes. I want to get to 5000 posts. I'm close now.

Noob, you ain't even 2.5k.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 10:31:42 PM
At 1/30/2015 10:30:57 PM, RevNge wrote:

You forget that this is my second account. Here's the first one: http://www.debate.org...
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 10:32:27 PM
At 1/30/2015 10:31:42 PM, Subutai wrote:

You forget that this is my second account. Here's the first one: http://www.debate.org...

I stand corrected. ;P

Why'd you get banned though?
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 10:33:23 PM
At 1/30/2015 10:32:27 PM, RevNge wrote:

I stand corrected. ;P

I didn't. I didn't like my username, so I changed it. Airmax closed that account.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 10:39:20 PM
At 1/30/2015 10:33:23 PM, Subutai wrote:

I stand corrected. ;P

I didn't. I didn't like my username, so I changed it. Airmax closed that account.

Ah, okay. Anyway:

How are you so good at math?

Will you teach me your ways in physics/calculus next year when I take it?

What's your favorite song/piece?

Did you ever try playing an instrument?

Do you watch any anime?

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the usual Purple Circle that doesn't last a day and 10 being at a degree where it's significantly damaging your real life, how addicted are you to DDO?

Do you play any sports/physical activities?

Is Syd really your real name?

What's your favorite day of the week?

What do you think was your biggest accomplishment in life so far?

If you could ban any single person on DDO, even Airmax, and suffer no consequences, who would it be?
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 10:56:00 PM
At 1/30/2015 10:39:20 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 1/30/2015 10:33:23 PM, Subutai wrote:

I stand corrected. ;P

Ah, okay. Anyway:

How are you so good at math?

I lot of practice. I wouldn't say I'm a math genius (I still have to do work), but math classes, to me, aren't that hard. I guess if I had to give a hard answer, it's that I started it so early (I was solving 6th/7th grade problems in 2nd grade).
Will you teach me your ways in physics/calculus next year when I take it?

Sure. Calculus I will probably be easy for you. Calculus II is a bit harder, but it's not horrible. For physics, make sure you have a good understanding of algebra and how to solve systems of equations. Basic, but if you forget, you're not going to do very well.
What's your favorite song/piece?

This is a hard question. I'll post just a few in the post afterwards.
Did you ever try playing an instrument?

I played the piano for four years, quit, took a four year break, and now I'm starting it back because I'm inspired by all the music I've been listening to lately.
Do you watch any anime?

No.
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the usual Purple Circle that doesn't last a day and 10 being at a degree where it's significantly damaging your real life, how addicted are you to DDO?

During breaks, about a 6 or 7. During school, about a 2. I manage pretty well to stay off DDO when I have stuff to do. It's never significantly damaging my real life in any way.
Do you play any sports/physical activities?

I'm a 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and I exercise a bit, but no sports.
Is Syd really your real name?

No. That should have been clear with a last name like "Zarathustra".
What's your favorite day of the week?

Depends on the week. If there's a test some day of the week, not that day. But really, no day really sticks out.
What do you think was your biggest accomplishment in life so far?

Education. I know that's broad, but that's what I'm going with. I've managed to go from Pre Calc to Abstract Algebra, basic Physics to E&M II (a ridiculously tough course), a hatred of art, literature, and philosophy to a infatuation with them, and other things in the course of two years, and there's plenty more to come.
If you could ban any single person on DDO, even Airmax, and suffer no consequences, who would it be?

Khaos, because he's hard to read in mafia. But in all seriousness, IP block the spammers and troll pollers.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:02:27 PM

If you could lunch with any person who has been dead for at least 100 years (language barriers not applicable), whom would you choose?

Favorite liquor (specifics, specifics)?

If you could speak any language instantly, which one would it be?

If you could visit any historical period, which would it be (language barriers not applicable)?

You must instantly kill one person, anywhere on the face of the earth. Whom do you choose?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:03:53 PM
Keep in mind that these are just my favorite songs right now. There're also only post-1965. I also like classical, Indian ragas and traditional Chinese music.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:05:33 PM
Oh, so you were Ron Paul. I was trying to remember. Why did you change your account?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:09:31 PM
At 1/30/2015 11:02:27 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

If you could lunch with any person who has been dead for at least 100 years (language barriers not applicable), whom would you choose?

This is extremely hard. I can't decide between Nietzsche and Carl Friedrich Gauss.

I'm 15...

Chinese.
If you could visit any historical period, which would it be (language barriers not applicable)?

Another toughie. The Golden Age of Greece, early T'ang China, and the 1960s come to mind.
You must instantly kill one person, anywhere on the face of the earth. Whom do you choose?

Someone who's about to die a horrible death.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:10:17 PM
At 1/30/2015 11:05:33 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Oh, so you were Ron Paul. I was trying to remember. Why did you change your account?

I didn't like the name. The differences between me and Ron Paul at the time were much more minute then, but a quick glance at my profile will show how far apart we are now.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:16:54 PM
At 1/30/2015 11:12:13 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Do you accept Chris Langan as your lord and savior?

No. I accept no one as my lord and savior.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:25:19 PM
At 1/30/2015 11:16:54 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 1/30/2015 11:12:13 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Do you accept Chris Langan as your lord and savior?

No. I accept no one as my lord and savior.

http://youtu.be...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:33:02 PM
At 1/30/2015 11:09:31 PM, Subutai wrote:

This is extremely hard. I can't decide between Nietzsche and Carl Friedrich Gauss.

Yeah, Nietzche would probably be more intense, but Gauss would be the better conversationalist.

I'm 15...

Wow, really? I had no idea; I thought you were in your twenties this whole time >.>

Chinese.

Another toughie. The Golden Age of Greece, early T'ang China,

For the art and culture, or for other reasons?

and the 1960s come to mind.

"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 11:34:26 PM

So you're an anarchist? Please elaborate on this.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 12:12:36 AM
1. What is best in life?

2. Why do moving charged particles create magnetic fields?

3. Do you think computers will ever have first person awareness?

4. Is there a subject you haven't debated but would like to? If so, what is it?

5. If you walked into your home and found a warm apple pie sitting in the middle of the floor, would you eat it?

6. If a fat girl asks a guy, "Do you think I'm fat?" what should he say?

7. Do you think anything would really matter if there was nobody that it mattered to?

8. Do you think it's possible for something to cease to exist, then come back into existence?

9. What's your favourite soft drink?

10. How do you feel about the fact that you exist?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 11:09:22 AM

I'm 15...

Wait, really? So you were Ron-Paul when you were, like, 12? That's crazy.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 12:58:33 PM

Are you really free?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 2:25:12 PM
At 1/30/2015 11:33:02 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Yeah, Nietzche would probably be more intense, but Gauss would be the better conversationalist.

I can imagine just about everyone being a better conversationalist than Nietzsche, but that wouldn't make it any less interesting.

I'm 15...

Wow, really? I had no idea; I thought you were in your twenties this whole time >.>

I'm actually 27 (I have no idea why I put 15), but that's weird. What made you think that?

Chinese.

Greece for the philosophical talks, debates and et cetera. T'ang China for the art and culture. I'd also go to late 19th century Germany, Austria, and Russia if only art and culture were relevant.

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 2:26:49 PM
At 1/30/2015 11:34:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

So you're an anarchist? Please elaborate on this.

It's no like I go around protesting government all the time. I simply believe all political systems experience massive corruption at some point, and fall not soon afterwards. In a purely anarchic society, this wouldn't happen (the only way it could is if it wasn't anarchy any more). The fights countries have over really petty things like greed and vanity that cost millions of lives are stupid.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 2:36:36 PM
At 1/31/2015 12:12:36 AM, philochristos wrote:
1. What is best in life?

Whatever you want it to be.
2. Why do moving charged particles create magnetic fields?

Science never answers the why. I've read somewhere that magnetism is a relativistic effect of electricity, but that has it's own why questions in it.
3. Do you think computers will ever have first person awareness?

Not until we solve the mind-body problem, which we are nowhere near solving, and may never be able to.
4. Is there a subject you haven't debated but would like to? If so, what is it?

Philosophy. I've only done a few debates with philosophical arguments in them.
5. If you walked into your home and found a warm apple pie sitting in the middle of the floor, would you eat it?

No, there's probably an edible bomb in it, and you'll explode at sunset when it gets down into your lower intestine. I would call the bomb squad if it was cherry pie.
6. If a fat girl asks a guy, "Do you think I'm fat?" what should he say?

Depends on the situation. If they're on a date, probably not (I would, but I should note I'm single). If the guy is a doctor, he better say yes.
7. Do you think anything would really matter if there was nobody that it mattered to?

I don't think anything really matters anyway. I pursue knowledge not because I care about it, but because I have an internal desire to do so.
8. Do you think it's possible for something to cease to exist, then come back into existence?

Fashion trends? But in all seriousness, virtual particles is the only thing that comes to mind. Two particles - one matter and one antimatter - are created in a quantum vacuum, and annihilate each other shortly afterwards into energy. If that same energy is turned into matter again, I'd say yes.
9. What's your favourite soft drink?

I don't drink soft drinks, but I occasionally have a bottled root beer or birch beer.
10. How do you feel about the fact that you exist?

We live, we die.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 2:37:15 PM
At 1/31/2015 11:09:22 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

I'm 15...

Wait, really? So you were Ron-Paul when you were, like, 12? That's crazy.

I don't know why I put that. I'm really 17. I joined just before my 14th birthday.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 2:38:23 PM
At 1/31/2015 12:58:33 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Are you really free?

No. No country we live in is "free", we live in a physically deterministic universe, and our minds function with deterministic, albeit mysterious methods.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 2:40:05 PM
At 1/31/2015 2:36:36 PM, Subutai wrote:

No, there's probably an edible bomb in it, and you'll explode at sunset when it gets down into your lower intestine. I would call the bomb squad if it was cherry pie.

That is good thinking. There could be a cherry bomb in there!
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 9:45:20 PM
At 1/31/2015 2:25:12 PM, Subutai wrote:

I can imagine just about everyone being a better conversationalist than Nietzsche, but that wouldn't make it any less interesting.

Definitely true. I'd want to get to him before the syphilis entered its final stages, though.

I'm 15...

I'm actually 27 (I have no idea why I put 15), but that's weird. What made you think that?

... so you can drink?

It's probably the fact that you're eloquent and well-educated. I tend to overestimate ages on this site a lot.

Chinese.

Greece for the philosophical talks, debates and et cetera. T'ang China for the art and culture. I'd also go to late 19th century Germany, Austria, and Russia if only art and culture were relevant.

Yeah, the Winter Palace would be amazing in all of its glory.

- Hilaire Belloc -
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 10:18:53 PM
At 1/31/2015 9:45:20 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 1/31/2015 2:25:12 PM, Subutai wrote:

Definitely true. I'd want to get to him before the syphilis entered its final stages, though.

Certainly. I wouldn't want him tirading against Wagner in the middle of our conversation.

I'm 15...

... so you can drink?

It's probably the fact that you're eloquent and well-educated. I tend to overestimate ages on this site a lot.

Why am I having trouble with this - let's try this one more time - I'm 17. I double checked this.

Chinese.

Yeah, the Winter Palace would be amazing in all of its glory.

I like Russian architecture. I'm talking specifically about the classical music. German, Austrian, and Russian Romantic classical music is, in my opinion, the West's best period for classical music (i.e. non-modern).