Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

How do you think the other side sees you?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 2:18:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
How do you think you are perceived by people at the opposite end of the political spectrum? What do you think they think of you? How do you feel about that?
Tsar of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 4:19:27 PM
At 2/3/2015 2:18:07 PM, YYW wrote:
How do you think you are perceived by people at the opposite end of the political spectrum? What do you think they think of you? How do you feel about that?

Bigot, racist, homophobe all the typical BS.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 4:31:42 PM

I've been called a variety of things. Some more immature conservatives like the terms "libtard" (ooooh...so clever) and/or "demoncrat"...I've quit commenting on YouTube videos of political nature...Such petty name calling is just annoying. I prefer political discussion to be political...I've never been called those things on DDO...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 4:34:28 PM
Though, my preference of reducing name-calling to a minimum goes out the window when I'm talking to people like Adam2 and Jimtimmy.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:00:08 PM

Out of touch with where society is headed, because I support traditional values.
Bigoted, because I am against same-sex marriage (even though I support all gay rights, I'm still a terrible bigot)
Cruel, because since I am a conservative I must hate the poor (which is not true, I just do not believe in government mandated programs but rather charities and voluntary services)
Inconsiderate, since I'm pro-life and believe each baby's right to live outweighs the mother's to choose.
Racist, because since I am anti affirmative action I must want less minorities in college and in the work force.
Delusional, because I think America is not oppressive even though it has done some bad things.
Evil, because I am pro capital punishment.
Maniac, because I'm pro gun.

Covers most of it.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:02:31 PM
At 2/3/2015 5:00:08 PM, Varrack wrote:

Bigoted, because I am against same-sex marriage (even though I support all gay rights, I'm still a terrible bigot)

If you are against same-sex marriage, you do not support "all gay rights".

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:05:52 PM
At 2/3/2015 5:02:31 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

That's not necessarily true. I'm against civil marriage, so you could say I'm against gay marriage, and I want to see them have more rights.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:09:26 PM

I am not too sure as how I am perceived because it varies depending on who is criticizing. I will state the negative receptions I have gotten from the right and the left. I have been called a petty tyrant, a Stalinist, a sexist, a misogynist, ruthless, a scientific quack, tin foil hat wearer, media matters idiot, and a genocidal eugenicist.

I will state two of my favorite times. I told someone that the Tea Party is mostly made up of older white middle class citizens. Someone was eavesdropping and stated "you guys are watching too much Media Matters, they are against the Tea Party." My other favorite occasion was in a class, we were discussing the existence of god. I think I stated something like "God has no relevance in this world, he doesn't enforce the laws or pay my bills." Someone called me a " depressing amoral Nietzsche-Machiavellian person." I cracked a smile and said "good" because that is a compliment in my book except the "depressing" bit.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:10:07 PM
At 2/3/2015 5:05:52 PM, Wylted wrote:

That's not necessarily true. I'm against civil marriage, so you could say I'm against gay marriage, and I want to see them have more rights.

"All gay rights" would be giving gays all the rights heterosexuals have. As long as it exists, supporting "all gay rights" would include the right to civil marriage.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:12:35 PM
At 2/3/2015 5:10:07 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

"All gay rights" would be giving gays all the rights heterosexuals have. As long as it exists, supporting "all gay rights" would include the right to civil marriage.

Hmmm.........

Is that true?

When people ask me if I support gay marriage I just say no. Usually I don't bring up that I also don't support heterosexual marriage because they never ask.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:14:17 PM

It would also depend on if you considered marriage a right, too
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:15:39 PM
At 2/3/2015 5:14:17 PM, Wylted wrote:

It would also depend on if you considered marriage a right, too

Indeed it does.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:23:30 PM
As one of them. I'm a hardcore double agent
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:29:23 PM

Marriage is the biological unit of procreation. The status of marriage was always meant for this purpose, so SSM is contradictory in nature. I can't agree that it is a right.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:31:11 PM
At 2/3/2015 5:29:23 PM, Varrack wrote:

Marriage is the biological unit of procreation. The status of marriage was always meant for this purpose, so SSM is contradictory in nature. I can't agree that it is a right.

go back to Runescape
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:34:19 PM
At 2/3/2015 5:31:11 PM, thett3 wrote:

go back to Runescape

I'm a bigot, I know.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:34:58 PM
At 2/3/2015 5:34:19 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/3/2015 5:31:11 PM, thett3 wrote:

go back to Runescape

I'm a bigot, I know.

meet me in the wildy, settle this like men. DM
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:39:12 PM

Everyone seems to agree that I read too many things written by dead people, and that such things 'aren't relevant anymore' (as if human nature has undergone some dramatic transformation). Some tend to fly off the wall when I claim that the office of dictator was a good thing, or that representation should be at least partly governed by social class. I've been called cruel/sociopathic, though I think that a rational analysis which minimizes harm and maximizes stability is better than well-meaning empathy ending in an orgiastic fit of sectarian violence, which sums up those parts of history in which sentimentality overruled pragmatism and forethought in government.

To be honest, I think that a lot of modern political debate is pithy, that it skirts the real structural problems of our society in order to discuss ultimately irrelevant, hot-button topics ad nauseum. So I don't really care about what such people think of me.

I trace most of this to a weird sort of 'golden age' thinking, in which our current state is the culmination of all of the past's efforts, the crowning achievement of history, and that we can now safely dispense with our past. This is, of course, ridiculous: we are living in a historical period in the making, subjected to all of the complex forces which governed past historical periods, just in different ways. When we are all dead and the empire has crumbled then America, too, will be relegated to the annals of history. But no one wants to look at it that way; I guess they find it depressing or something. It's easier to fiddle while Rome burns.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 5:39:35 PM

http://www.debate.org...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 6:13:06 PM

They probably all think I'm an idiot. I base that on the fact that both sides call the other side idiots. I don't really care. Somebody would think I was an idiot no matter what side I was on.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
GoldenGraham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 6:33:32 PM

Who cares?...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 7:40:19 PM

Pfff
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 7:48:32 PM
At 2/3/2015 5:39:35 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

http://www.debate.org...

I think he has a human right to be bigoted.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 8:03:32 PM
At 2/3/2015 7:40:19 PM, sadolite wrote:

Pfff

Your counter is truly astounding.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 8:12:45 PM
At 2/3/2015 8:03:32 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 2/3/2015 7:40:19 PM, sadolite wrote:

Pfff

Your counter is truly astounding.

Your "it's my way or the highway" is truly astounding. Your argument can't even stand unless you change the definition of marriage and it intended purpose.

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 11:12:00 PM
I don't advertise my political views in public. They wouldn't know what the hell's going on.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...