Jump to topic:

I get to do a persusive speech

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 9:21:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
for my speech class at my high school. I want to do something complex/controversial.

Most students will be doing topics like "dogs are better than cats" or "hunting is okay to do."

I was thinking about either doing Anarchy is Preferable to Totalitarianism (am currently doing a debate on that) or doing All Drugs Should be Legalized just for the giggles.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 9:35:12 PM
wow apparently topics dealing with drugs, alcohol, sex, and abortion are prohibited.

Talk about the impediment of ideas. If they were really so bad then the public should be able to see that for themselves.
Nolite Timere
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 9:36:37 PM
Argue Batman would defeat Superman in a fight. That sh!t is untenable.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 9:45:50 PM
Is religion banned? If you want to really piss people off, argue that Satanism is better than Christianity.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 9:48:40 PM
At 2/9/2015 9:21:00 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
for my speech class at my high school. I want to do something complex/controversial.

Most students will be doing topics like "dogs are better than cats" or "hunting is okay to do."

I was thinking about either doing Anarchy is Preferable to Totalitarianism (am currently doing a debate on that) or doing All Drugs Should be Legalized just for the giggles.

I have my doubts that most school kids are going to know wtf anarchy and totalitarianism is.... Lol.

Drug legalisation would be good.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 9:51:30 PM
At 2/9/2015 9:35:12 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
wow apparently topics dealing with drugs, alcohol, sex, and abortion are prohibited.

Talk about the impediment of ideas. If they were really so bad then the public should be able to see that for themselves.

Oh...

You could talk about mobile phones in schools instead... :-p.

Can you talk about boob jobs, sex swaps, shaving public hair, stalking women, etc?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 9:52:19 PM
When I had to do a speech like that, I made mine on why we should blame the bully, not the suicide victim.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 11:49:33 PM

What about having school start later so students get enough sleep and better grades?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 12:02:15 AM
At 2/9/2015 9:48:40 PM, Envisage wrote:

I have my doubts that most school kids are going to know wtf anarchy and totalitarianism is.... Lol.

;_;

I'm not that dumb...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 12:05:32 AM
At 2/9/2015 9:48:40 PM, Envisage wrote:

I had to explain to a few people in my class what totalitarianism is...

Drug legalisation would be good.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 12:09:04 AM
At 2/9/2015 11:49:33 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

What about having school start later so students get enough sleep and better grades?

There is growing support for that, especially for older adolescents.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 12:13:56 AM
I remember having to take speech class in high school, even though I was in debated and gave like a dozen speeches every weekend. so dumb. for my persuasive speech, I just barely modified a contention we had on extraordinary rendition from some topic, lol
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 12:25:00 AM
At 2/10/2015 12:09:04 AM, Maikuru wrote:

There is, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find support for points.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 12:52:25 AM

Go with the topic that drugs, alcohol, sex, and abortion should not be prohibited topics.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 7:19:00 AM

Bring a gun and point it at the audience and ask them if your speech was persuasive?

The holocaust was a hoax

I'd agree with both of those and am not sure, why the first one would have anybody that disagrees.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 9:51:24 AM
At 2/10/2015 12:52:25 AM, mrsatan wrote:

Go with the topic that drugs, alcohol, sex, and abortion should not be prohibited topics.

Lol, you know maybe I will do that. I dont want to look like a smartass though.
Nolite Timere
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 9:57:18 AM
At 2/10/2015 9:51:24 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Fair enough reason not to, but I don't think you will, as long as you keep the speech free of sarcasm. I doubt sarcasm would be of much benefit in this case, anyways.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 10:02:43 AM

Then again, it might depend on your teachers attitude more than anything. I had a teacher for P.I.G. who was awesome. Had a project to make an outline for business, although I forget the specifics. I do remember that we had to present it to the class, and he was fine with me doing an erotica shop.

Most teachers would not have allowed that.
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 11:39:42 AM

Argue that those that commit suicide should never be depicted as a champion for a cause.
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 11:42:26 AM
At 2/10/2015 12:09:04 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Doesn't that just beg the question: if they aren't getting enough sleep now, why would they with a later start?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 1:02:34 PM
There is some emerging literature on how social conservatism times stymies innovation and economic growth. The basic thesis is that socially conservative norms encourage people to do things as they have always been done, which discourages people from thinking of new things and ideas and thereby hinders (especially technological) innovation and thereby limits the potentiality for economic growth. The implication is that socially liberal attitudes are a necessary condition for innovation. There is more or less no link between economic conservatism and increased societal innovation, as well -because innovation and growth happen in both economically liberal and economically conservative environments. That, I think, would be an excellent topic.
Tsar of DDO
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 5:15:15 PM

Dooo it! It would be awesome, seriously. You could talk about the right to be offend, comedy, satire, the importance of discussion icky issues, etc,
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 5:17:49 PM
At 2/11/2015 5:15:15 PM, Envisage wrote:

Dooo it! It would be awesome, seriously. You could talk about the right to be offend, comedy, satire, the importance of discussion icky issues, etc,

I was going to, but apparently the main reason my teacher prohibits such topics is that she is contractually obligated to keep a pro-christian environment in the classroom. I go to a private catholic school.
Nolite Timere
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 5:22:49 PM

Here's a good persuasive speech:
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...