Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

My mother keeps using the strawman fallacy.

Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 2:13:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2015 2:10:02 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I am getting so tired of it.

Please provide some examples of the fallacious things she says.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 2:21:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2015 2:13:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:10:02 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I am getting so tired of it.

Please provide some examples of the fallacious things she says.

It is private. She just twists what I say.
Varrack
Posts: 2,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 2:22:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2015 2:21:04 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:13:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:10:02 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I am getting so tired of it.

Please provide some examples of the fallacious things she says.

It is private. She just twists what I say.

Then explain to her what a straw man is and why it is a logical fallacy.
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 2:25:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2015 2:22:24 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:21:04 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:13:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:10:02 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I am getting so tired of it.

Please provide some examples of the fallacious things she says.

It is private. She just twists what I say.

Then explain to her what a straw man is and why it is a logical fallacy.
I tried but she does not listen.
Varrack
Posts: 2,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 2:46:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2015 2:25:10 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:22:24 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:21:04 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:13:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:10:02 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I am getting so tired of it.

Please provide some examples of the fallacious things she says.

It is private. She just twists what I say.

Then explain to her what a straw man is and why it is a logical fallacy.
I tried but she does not listen.

Then tell her that she is misrepresenting your argument. Tell her what your argument actually is and how she is misrepresenting it.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 2:59:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2015 2:10:02 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I am getting so tired of it.

The entire internet uses this fallacy.
"I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is his messenger."
-Brontoraptor
GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Posts: 341
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:27:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2015 2:59:32 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:10:02 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I am getting so tired of it.

The entire internet uses this fallacy.

How so?
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:46:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2015 2:59:32 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:10:02 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I am getting so tired of it.

The entire internet uses this fallacy.

Agreed.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 3:56:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2015 3:27:47 PM, GamrDeb8rBbrH8r wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:59:32 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 2/14/2015 2:10:02 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I am getting so tired of it.

The entire internet uses this fallacy.

How so?

Look at a forum or comment section responding to any hotly debated topic (especially politics,religion or current events)
"I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is his messenger."
-Brontoraptor
BLAHthedebator
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 12:47:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I also try to tell her she twists my arguments. I also twist her strawman arguments back. Then she just ignores me.
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas...
Is...
Youuuuuu
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 12:55:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/17/2015 12:47:34 AM, BLAHthedebator wrote:
I also try to tell her she twists my arguments. I also twist her strawman arguments back. Then she just ignores me.

Something may also help say for example she does a starwman.............xyz.

You then respond yes if my argument was abc then xyz would be a good counter but abc was NOT my argument.

You can apply some extra pressure if you want.........

Were you under the impression that abc was my argument here ? or are you deliberately misconstruing the argument ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12