Jump to topic:

Pakistani Taxi Driver

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 12:11:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I caught a cab out of work today because it was just too cold to do anything else and I think that was not merely fortuitous.

I had a really shitty day today. Not only an ordinarily shitty day, but an especially shitty day. I also had some good things that happened; well... one good thing.

So I sit in the back of the cab, and this Pakistani guy is driving. Really friendly guy, grateful to be in America. He asks me how I'm doing. I think about that answer.

Clearly, this is a jolly guy... but I just don't have it in me to abide by that conventional American social norm of saying "everything's fine" when it's not. So I decide to be honest... and more than honest, I decide to be candid.

I tell him that I've had a shitty day; one good thing happened, but the rest was shitty. He said, "you've got to be patient. Patience, and forbearance." I think he mentioned something about forgiveness as well.

Sage advice, and it actually made me feel better.

"The next day will be good!" His parting words.

He spoke with such confidence about that. It impressed me.

I think this has been the worst day I've had since a day in late November of last year, so, at least in terms of what is probable... he's probably onto something.

But I thought I'd share that with you all.
Tsar of DDO
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 12:23:18 AM
Natural curiosity: Is it pushing too far to ask you to share what exactly caused your bad day?
Senpai has noticed you.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 12:19:09 PM
At 2/19/2015 12:23:18 AM, Beginner wrote:
Natural curiosity: Is it pushing too far to ask you to share what exactly caused your bad day?

It's not pushing too far, but I really don't want to talk about it anymore...
Tsar of DDO
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 1:24:08 PM
At 2/19/2015 12:11:06 AM, YYW wrote:
I caught a cab out of work today because it was just too cold to do anything else and I think that was not merely fortuitous.

I had a really shitty day today. Not only an ordinarily shitty day, but an especially shitty day. I also had some good things that happened; well... one good thing.

So I sit in the back of the cab, and this Pakistani guy is driving. Really friendly guy, grateful to be in America. He asks me how I'm doing. I think about that answer.

Clearly, this is a jolly guy... but I just don't have it in me to abide by that conventional American social norm of saying "everything's fine" when it's not. So I decide to be honest... and more than honest, I decide to be candid.

I tell him that I've had a shitty day; one good thing happened, but the rest was shitty. He said, "you've got to be patient. Patience, and forbearance." I think he mentioned something about forgiveness as well.

Sage advice, and it actually made me feel better.

"The next day will be good!" His parting words.

He spoke with such confidence about that. It impressed me.

I think this has been the worst day I've had since a day in late November of last year, so, at least in terms of what is probable... he's probably onto something.

But I thought I'd share that with you all.

Pakistani immigrant? Are you sure that you don't live in the UK?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid