Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

What are your favorite three movie?

Ajabi
Posts: 1,507
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:57:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Movies are wonderful art pieces. So I thought we would share our three favorite movies. I think we can learn a lot from certain movies, and so I shall post my favorites. I urge everyone to watch them.

Allow me to name them:
1. Wild Strawberries directed by Ingmar Bergman
2. In The Presence of a Clown by Ingmar Bergman
3. The Seventh Seal by Ingmar Bergman

Close runner ups include Summer with Monika also by Bergman, Casablance, Doctor Zhivago, Bitter Moon, and more recently Pan's Labyrinth.

As you may notice other than PL all of these films are slightly old, but I urge you to watch them. All three of my favorites are by Bergman, and he was a master, truly.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,923
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 11:15:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Fight Club will always probably be my #1 because of the political philosophy. And on top of that it's an incredibly cool movie in every other way. If there's a way a movie could be better than Fight Club then I haven't figured it out yet.

Number two would probably be Storm of the Century (based off of Stephen King). It grabs you at the beginning of the movie and never lets go. It is based upon the Trolley Example at a fundamental level and could be the basis of in-depth philosophical discussion if enough people watched it to debate it.

I guess Waking Life would be my number three, it's just non-stop intense philosophical discussion for the entire movie. It's much more profound regarding dreams than something like Inception, after watching it I had an amazing night while asleep as my mind processed what I had just experienced.

Honorable mentions:
Idiocracy
Matrix
LOTR and Hobbit series
Star Trek and Star Wars series
80s Schwarzenegger flicks (I grew up on them)
Falling Down
Cube and Pi
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Ajabi
Posts: 1,507
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 11:29:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/24/2015 10:46:54 AM, Cermank wrote:
1. 3 idiots/ Black swan
2. Titanic
3. Narnia

Raaaanchoooodaaas Shaaaamaldass Chanchar
Cermank
Posts: 3,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:46:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/24/2015 11:29:56 PM, Ajabi wrote:
At 2/24/2015 10:46:54 AM, Cermank wrote:
1. 3 idiots/ Black swan
2. Titanic
3. Narnia

Raaaanchoooodaaas Shaaaamaldass Chanchar

haha that movie. epic. i still listen to the chatur speech when i'm down. XD
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:48:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Good Will Hunting, It's a Wonderful Life, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:01:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The Room, Troll 2, and Last Airbender all come to mind.
Stooge the Worst

#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,944
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:08:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Pan's Labyrinth, Hero, Anna Karenin (I like the new one).
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it."
- Lord Dunsany -

"Over her head the stars, the thoughts of God in the heavens,
Shone on the eyes of man, who had ceased to marvel and worship"
- Henry Longfellow -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
mrsatan
Posts: 478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:37:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Boondock Saints
The Usual Suspects
Battle Royale
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:37:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/24/2015 9:57:09 AM, Ajabi wrote:
Movies are wonderful art pieces. So I thought we would share our three favorite movies. I think we can learn a lot from certain movies, and so I shall post my favorites. I urge everyone to watch them.

Allow me to name them:
1. Wild Strawberries directed by Ingmar Bergman
2. In The Presence of a Clown by Ingmar Bergman
3. The Seventh Seal by Ingmar Bergman

Close runner ups include Summer with Monika also by Bergman, Casablanca, Doctor Zhivago, Bitter Moon, and more recently Pan's Labyrinth.

As you may notice other than PL all of these films are slightly old, but I urge you to watch them. All three of my favorites are by Bergman, and he was a master, truly.

- All by Ingmar Bergman, interesting. I've watched his movie Fanny and Alexander, freaking long movie, but damn it leaves an impression.

>>> I have a system where I divide my movies into these categories:

- Story:
> The Godfather.
> Le Comte de Monte Cristo.
> Gone with the Wind.

- Glory:
> The Lord of the Rings.
> Braveheart.
> Gladiator.

- Love:
> Casablanca.
> The Notebook.
> Cyrano de Bergerac.

- Comics:
> The Dark Knight.
> Man of Steel.
> Watchmen.

- Feel-Good:
> It's a Wonderful Life.
> Am"lie Poulin.
> Forrest Gump.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 1:38:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/25/2015 1:08:28 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Pan's Labyrinth, Hero, Anna Karenin (I like the new one).

- Well, damn, I gotta watch this Anna Karenina now.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 3:31:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
1. Waking Life
2. The man who would be king
3. Doomsday Book
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 4:22:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Princess Bride
Any Wallace and Gromit movie
Mr. Magorium's wonder Emporium.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Ajabi
Posts: 1,507
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 7:21:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/25/2015 3:31:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
1. Waking Life
2. The man who would be king
3. Doomsday Book

You, sir, need to watch In the Presence of a Clown.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:06:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/25/2015 7:21:30 PM, Ajabi wrote:
At 2/25/2015 3:31:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
1. Waking Life
2. The man who would be king
3. Doomsday Book

You, sir, need to watch In the Presence of a Clown.

Okay, I'll try to find a copy of it online and will watch it tomorrow night. It better be good! ;)
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,944
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:17:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/25/2015 1:38:51 AM, YassineB wrote:
At 2/25/2015 1:08:28 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Pan's Labyrinth, Hero, Anna Karenin (I like the new one).

- Well, damn, I gotta watch this Anna Karenina now.

It might make it on to your 'love' list =)
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it."
- Lord Dunsany -

"Over her head the stars, the thoughts of God in the heavens,
Shone on the eyes of man, who had ceased to marvel and worship"
- Henry Longfellow -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
Ajabi
Posts: 1,507
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:19:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/26/2015 12:06:34 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/25/2015 7:21:30 PM, Ajabi wrote:
At 2/25/2015 3:31:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
1. Waking Life
2. The man who would be king
3. Doomsday Book

You, sir, need to watch In the Presence of a Clown.

Okay, I'll try to find a copy of it online and will watch it tomorrow night. It better be good! ;)

You may find it on YouTube. After that watch The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries. :P
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:24:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/26/2015 12:19:05 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 2/26/2015 12:06:34 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/25/2015 7:21:30 PM, Ajabi wrote:
At 2/25/2015 3:31:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
1. Waking Life
2. The man who would be king
3. Doomsday Book

You, sir, need to watch In the Presence of a Clown.

Okay, I'll try to find a copy of it online and will watch it tomorrow night. It better be good! ;)

You may find it on YouTube. After that watch The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries. :P

I actually did just find a copy of it on YouTube, but it wasn't in English so that didn't work. Apparently it's not a very well-known film because I'm having more difficulty than usual in finding a decent source online. I've read some of the reviews and they are mostly praising the film, so I'm definitely intrigued enough to be annoyed by the lack of results right now, lol.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Ajabi
Posts: 1,507
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:36:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/26/2015 12:24:09 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/26/2015 12:19:05 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 2/26/2015 12:06:34 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/25/2015 7:21:30 PM, Ajabi wrote:
At 2/25/2015 3:31:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
1. Waking Life
2. The man who would be king
3. Doomsday Book

You, sir, need to watch In the Presence of a Clown.

Okay, I'll try to find a copy of it online and will watch it tomorrow night. It better be good! ;)

You may find it on YouTube. After that watch The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries. :P

I actually did just find a copy of it on YouTube, but it wasn't in English so that didn't work. Apparently it's not a very well-known film because I'm having more difficulty than usual in finding a decent source online. I've read some of the reviews and they are mostly praising the film, so I'm definitely intrigued enough to be annoyed by the lack of results right now, lol.

If you find it online please share the link wth me. :)
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 12:37:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/26/2015 12:36:09 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 2/26/2015 12:24:09 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/26/2015 12:19:05 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 2/26/2015 12:06:34 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/25/2015 7:21:30 PM, Ajabi wrote:
At 2/25/2015 3:31:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
1. Waking Life
2. The man who would be king
3. Doomsday Book

You, sir, need to watch In the Presence of a Clown.

Okay, I'll try to find a copy of it online and will watch it tomorrow night. It better be good! ;)

You may find it on YouTube. After that watch The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries. :P

I actually did just find a copy of it on YouTube, but it wasn't in English so that didn't work. Apparently it's not a very well-known film because I'm having more difficulty than usual in finding a decent source online. I've read some of the reviews and they are mostly praising the film, so I'm definitely intrigued enough to be annoyed by the lack of results right now, lol.

If you find it online please share the link wth me. :)

Will do!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:58:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/26/2015 12:17:00 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/25/2015 1:38:51 AM, YassineB wrote:
At 2/25/2015 1:08:28 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Pan's Labyrinth, Hero, Anna Karenin (I like the new one).

- Well, damn, I gotta watch this Anna Karenina now.

It might make it on to your 'love' list =)

- I am having high hopes now :D
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 6:27:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/24/2015 9:57:09 AM, Ajabi wrote:
Movies are wonderful art pieces. So I thought we would share our three favorite movies. I think we can learn a lot from certain movies, and so I shall post my favorites. I urge everyone to watch them.

Allow me to name them:
1. Wild Strawberries directed by Ingmar Bergman
2. In The Presence of a Clown by Ingmar Bergman
3. The Seventh Seal by Ingmar Bergman

Close runner ups include Summer with Monika also by Bergman, Casablance, Doctor Zhivago, Bitter Moon, and more recently Pan's Labyrinth.

As you may notice other than PL all of these films are slightly old, but I urge you to watch them. All three of my favorites are by Bergman, and he was a master, truly.

Wild Strawberries is a very good movie. Haven't seen too much by Bergman though.

My favorites would be
1. There Will Be Blood
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Birdman
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 12:50:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
Sunset Boulevard
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Wylted
Posts: 22,223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 9:58:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
1. His sucker Proxy, because I was in it.

2. Poor white trash, because it was based on events from my life.

3. The matrix
"I will.....not suck your dick," Sui_generis