Jump to topic:

Worried About a Friend

Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 2:35:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have a friend who would text me and call me regularly. I began to feel bad that it felt one-sided, so I promised to text her more often. I then sent out a text every day for the last month, to which I've received no response. What should I do?
Let your words be the genuine picture of your heart- John Wesley
Money is a horrid thing to follow, but a charming thing to meet-Henry James
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 8:48:02 AM
At 2/25/2015 2:35:17 AM, Ruckmanite wrote:
I have a friend who would text me and call me regularly. I began to feel bad that it felt one-sided, so I promised to text her more often. I then sent out a text every day for the last month, to which I've received no response. What should I do?

Unless you have a way to meet them in person, I'm not sure what to do. If you are religious the best thing to do is pray for them.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 10:41:55 AM
At 2/25/2015 8:48:02 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

Unless you have a way to meet them in person, I'm not sure what to do. If you are religious the best thing to do is pray for them.

I cannot meet her in person, she lives in a different state, but yes I can see why you suggested prayer. I'm just worried something may have happened to her.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 10:44:34 AM
At 2/25/2015 10:41:55 AM, Ruckmanite wrote:

I cannot meet her in person, she lives in a different state, but yes I can see why you suggested prayer. I'm just worried something may have happened to her.
Do you have a mutual friend you can contact?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
debatingtheworld.com
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 5:13:12 PM
At 2/25/2015 10:44:34 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

Is she active anywhere in social media? If she is liking things in Facebook or adding pictures to Instagram but not answering your messages... maybe she just doesn't want to talk to you for some reason.
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 2:54:53 AM

I don't, but I'll check for her on social media.
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 2:55:22 AM
At 2/25/2015 5:13:12 PM, debatingtheworld.com wrote:

Is she active anywhere in social media? If she is liking things in Facebook or adding pictures to Instagram but not answering your messages... maybe she just doesn't want to talk to you for some reason.
Good call, I'll check.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 10:39:01 AM
At 2/26/2015 2:54:53 AM, Ruckmanite wrote:

I don't, but I'll check for her on social media.

All right. :)

I hope she's okay and you can contact her soon.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 4:43:20 PM

Nothing, go about your life. Text messages are narcissistic cries for attention.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:26:24 PM
At 2/26/2015 4:43:20 PM, sadolite wrote:

Nothing, go about your life. Text messages are narcissistic cries for attention.

for the record, text messages are basically the same thing as emails, chatting on line, and even posting on forums such as this. So you are technically saying that all of these are narcissistic cries for attention
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 5:37:47 PM
At 2/26/2015 5:26:24 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

for the record, text messages are basically the same thing as emails, chatting on line, and even posting on forums such as this. So you are technically saying that all of these are narcissistic cries for attention

Chatting online is a live conversation that both parties agreed to have. An email is not necessarily expected to be responded to unless it is important and expected. A uninvited or unexpected text message of inane blather is a person trying to get attention.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 11:58:04 PM

The truth is that she is likely not interested in talking to you anymore. I recommend that you try to avoid texting people so frequently, particularly girls because it gets boring and dry unless you're spitting jokes with every text, but then you're just her comedian, rather than a friend.

She was also likely interested in you in the romantic sense, hence her giving you so much attention. Next time something like this happens, ask her out quickly because otherwise she will lose interest (like she probably has by now) and will seek someone else.

It's all a learning curve; don't be too hard on yourself over this =)
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 12:10:51 AM

If you're texting them out of pity or a sense of obligation they can likely sense that. I hope your friend is okay but I'd advise you to develop genuine friendships. People want an actual connection.

As much as people preach altruism, people want a relationship with somebody that selfishly wants them and not with somebody who is around them out of a sense of obligation.
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 3:31:13 AM
I was able to get ahold of her. Thanks though, everyone
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2015 5:33:36 AM
At 2/26/2015 5:37:47 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/26/2015 5:26:24 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Chatting online is a live conversation that both parties agreed to have. An email is not necessarily expected to be responded to unless it is important and expected. A uninvited or unexpected text message of inane blather is a person trying to get attention.

i text with a friend regularly and she texts back with each one. We usually either talk about mundane stuff or personal matters and help each other on problems. so yeah not all texting is bad.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 2:00:02 AM

How did the last discussion go? Were there any fights or discomfort with you or your friend? Are there any other means of communicating with them, like in person or Skype?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 5:09:06 AM

Before you came off as cool and hard to get. Now you just come off as desperate.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...