Jump to topic:

Do you want Kids?

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 2:59:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Do you want kids sometime in your life? And this really isn't just a yes/no question. You could respond with "I am not sure," "I don't really care, but if my partner did, I'd be okay with it," "It depends on my situation in life," and so forth.

If you do or might want to have kids, would you want to have kids that are biologically yours or adopted? Maybe even become a foster parent? If you want kids that are biologically yours, would you seek a donor gamete, IVF, surrogacy, etc.? And if you adopt, would you want to adopt older or younger kids; kids from your ethnic, cultural, or religious background; and kids from at home or abroad?

(And, when I ask "do you want kids," I am not talking about becoming a sperm donor or something, I mean having kids you raise yourself. Really, I guess I mean do you want to be a parent.)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:00:18 AM
Also, if you already have kids, do you regret that decision, or are you thankful for it? Was it planned or not?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 6:53:29 AM
At 3/6/2015 3:00:18 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Also, if you already have kids, do you regret that decision, or are you thankful for it? Was it planned or not?

It's all one sided in society with that question. If some one expresses the view that they don't want to have children or those who have not they will probably get a combo of well your just selfish and you will regret it.

Now it's true any decision you make has the possibility of regret in the future..........but it works both ways.

There are people who have had children and regret that for one reason or another. But of course they have to keep it to themselves for the most part.

So this creates a bias where you only hear the stories about how wonderful having children is.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 7:35:05 AM
At 3/6/2015 2:59:31 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Do you want kids sometime in your life? And this really isn't just a yes/no question. You could respond with "I am not sure," "I don't really care, but if my partner did, I'd be okay with it," "It depends on my situation in life," and so forth.

If you do or might want to have kids, would you want to have kids that are biologically yours or adopted? Maybe even become a foster parent? If you want kids that are biologically yours, would you seek a donor gamete, IVF, surrogacy, etc.? And if you adopt, would you want to adopt older or younger kids; kids from your ethnic, cultural, or religious background; and kids from at home or abroad?

(And, when I ask "do you want kids," I am not talking about becoming a sperm donor or something, I mean having kids you raise yourself. Really, I guess I mean do you want to be a parent.)

Yes. I definitely want kids some day; but I'd want to wait until I have a stable job and I'm happily married. I'm not sure about IVF or having a surrogate. I have mixed feelings about that, but I'd be open to adopting.

I would not want to a adopt a baby or toddler. I'm not categorically opposed to it, but I'd prefer to adopt a kid that was at least 4-5 years old, because I think that would be easier.

I would not be opposed to adopting a kid that was older than that, though, especially because I think that most people only want to adopt babies and that leaves older kids stuck in the system.

Although, these aren't hard and fast requirements... the choice to adopt will be something for us to discuss when we reach a certain point in our lives, and we're not there yet. The only thing I'm sure of is that I definitely want kids.

This is probably the most controversial point, but I would prefer to adopt a white child. The reason is because I don't think I am personally equipped to teach a non-white child about their culture, and I don't think that would be fair. China, for example, has a rich and vibrant cultural heritage that I know very little about. Same with most other places in the world. Perhaps that's a silly reason, but it's what I'd want.
Tsar of DDO
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 9:29:13 AM
Oo! I love this topic! One of my dreams is hopefully get married someday and have at least six. I'd like at least a couple to be biological, but I wouldn't be opposed to adoption. I love kids a lot, especially since I'm essentially one myself, and while it's hard work, it is very rewarding. My first babysitting job was when I was 13 and watching 6 kids, ages 11-2. That was a tad bit exciting. I also learned a lot about parenting. If I can't have kids, I want to be a teacher.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 9:31:39 AM

Yes. I come from a large family, and want to produce and raise a large family with my wife someday, and live a quiet happy life...and then die.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Comrade_Silly_Otter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 9:35:38 AM
To be honest large families and people with more than 3 kids freak me out.

If I was to have children I would want one, and yes this entirely depends on who I meet in like, how am I doing in life, and so on. One shouldn't have children if their situation is bad and if they have a bad spouse.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 10:24:23 AM
I want to pass on my genes, and teach from my mistakes.
However, I am not a good role model, and I can barely take care of just me and the Mrs., so, the answer is no.
Ideally, I'd donate sperm, but I cannot as my father was adopted, so we have incomplete medical history (and damn, there goes hundreds per month).
My work here is, finally, done.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 11:54:10 AM
At 3/6/2015 7:35:05 AM, YYW wrote:

Yes. I definitely want kids some day; but I'd want to wait until I have a stable job and I'm happily married. I'm not sure about IVF or having a surrogate. I have mixed feelings about that, but I'd be open to adopting.

I would not want to a adopt a baby or toddler. I'm not categorically opposed to it, but I'd prefer to adopt a kid that was at least 4-5 years old, because I think that would be easier.

I would not be opposed to adopting a kid that was older than that, though, especially because I think that most people only want to adopt babies and that leaves older kids stuck in the system.

Although, these aren't hard and fast requirements... the choice to adopt will be something for us to discuss when we reach a certain point in our lives, and we're not there yet. The only thing I'm sure of is that I definitely want kids.

This is probably the most controversial point, but I would prefer to adopt a white child. The reason is because I don't think I am personally equipped to teach a non-white child about their culture, and I don't think that would be fair. China, for example, has a rich and vibrant cultural heritage that I know very little about. Same with most other places in the world. Perhaps that's a silly reason, but it's what I'd want.

You can adopt Harder m8
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 12:38:09 PM
We're planning on 2-4 kids, starting in 5 years, when we'll both be finished our programs and presumably have professorships.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 1:50:42 PM
At 3/6/2015 9:35:38 AM, Comrade_Silly_Otter wrote:

Why?

If I was to have children I would want one, and yes this entirely depends on who I meet in like, how am I doing in life, and so on. One shouldn't have children if their situation is bad and if they have a bad spouse.
Comrade_Silly_Otter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 2:43:51 PM
At 3/6/2015 1:50:42 PM, Varrack wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.
Honestly not much need to have so many children as well. 2-3 is enough to keep the population stable or growing slowly. Having fewer children allows you to focus more attention onto a kid and is easier on the wallet.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 2:46:45 PM
At 3/6/2015 2:43:51 PM, Comrade_Silly_Otter wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.
Honestly not much need to have so many children as well. 2-3 is enough to keep the population stable or growing slowly. Having fewer children allows you to focus more attention onto a kid and is easier on the wallet.

I want at LEAST 6 kids. :)
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:11:16 PM
I'll probably have two or three. I'm worried that with work in the future (even now I suck at time management), I won't be able to give enough attention to my kids.

Besides, the world already has enough Revs, doesn't it? :3
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:11:32 PM
At 3/6/2015 2:46:45 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

You're going to be quite busy.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:12:26 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:11:32 PM, RevNge wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

Lol oh well :)
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:13:54 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:12:26 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

That had several different meanings (like 50% of what I say), lol.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:15:32 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:13:54 PM, RevNge wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

XD you perv!

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:20:58 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:15:32 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

XD you perv!

True, L is a perv. :3
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:21:54 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:20:58 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 3/6/2015 3:15:32 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

XD you perv!

True, L is a perv. :3

Hush.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:22:06 PM

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

Me too! :D
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:22:40 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:22:06 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

YAY sisters for life :)

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:26:04 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:22:40 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

YAY sisters for life :)
Definitely! :D

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:26:12 PM

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

*winces* That's going to hurt.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:28:43 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:26:12 PM, RevNge wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

There's a reason why girls are the ones giving birth. Men can't handle it. :P

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:29:49 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:28:43 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

Again, that had several meanings.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:40:24 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:29:49 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 3/6/2015 3:28:43 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

Again, that had several meanings.

I don't see them. But you need to go wash your brain. It's too dirty for your age range. :P

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Comrade_Silly_Otter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:42:15 PM

Why?

Its.. Overwhelming.

I don't know how you could sustain having 6 kids.
That sort of made me cringe..
My mother had to work 3 jobs to raise 3 kids.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:47:03 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. Heck, I've even considered straight up building myself a son or daughter.

In the end it's likely I'll end up having biological children at some point.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 4:06:12 PM
I definitely want kids someday. The only question for me is how many and with who, lol.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...