So, who's excited for Game of Thrones?

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 10:55:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
How about that Arriane omission?

And all of the other big changes? It looks like I won't be able to smile knowingly at my sister whenever something big is going to happen, because the plot seems to be taking more U-turns every season.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 11:40:30 PM
At 3/10/2015 10:55:26 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

And all of the other big changes? It looks like I won't be able to smile knowingly at my sister whenever something big is going to happen, because the plot seems to be taking more U-turns every season.

I just hope that that one person I like doesn't die like that other guy did.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 11:51:16 PM
At 3/10/2015 11:40:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

I know exactly what you mean >.<

Do you actually watch the show?

I feel my omniscience slipping away this season; they seem to be taking some pretty big deviations, so I actually worry that they may kill characters in the series who are still alive in the books.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 11:54:53 PM
At 3/10/2015 11:51:16 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I feel my omniscience slipping away this season; they seem to be taking some pretty big deviations, so I actually worry that they may kill characters in the series who are still alive in the books.

Haha, no, I've only watched half of the first episode (up to the point where the dwarf king had an orgy or something like that).
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 11:55:43 PM
At 3/10/2015 11:54:53 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Haha, no, I've only watched half of the first episode (up to the point where the dwarf king had an orgy or something like that).

LOL, that description made my day.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Malacoda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 12:03:59 AM
At 3/10/2015 11:54:53 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

The dwarf kind. Indeed haha.
Malacoda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 12:07:03 AM

Arriane wasn't that essential to the story line was she?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 1:14:47 AM
At 3/11/2015 12:07:03 AM, Malacoda wrote:

She was a huge PoV character in Dorner, around whom the entire story pretty much revolved, including *spoilers* the Dorne succession controversy, absconding with Myrcella and her injury, her tryst with one of the Kingsguard, and a lot of the scheming involved with House Sunspear after Robert's Rebellion. She's unique from the Sand Snakes in being the actual heir to Dorne, making her possibly the most outright powerful and confident female character aside from Dany and Stoneheart (not sure if the latter even counts, lol). Other powerful female characters, like Melisandre or Olenna Tyrell (even Cersei, arguably) wield power from behind the scenes instead of seizing it outright.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Malacoda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 5:59:55 PM
At 3/11/2015 1:14:47 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

She was a huge PoV character in Dorner, around whom the entire story pretty much revolved, including *spoilers* the Dorne succession controversy, absconding with Myrcella and her injury, her tryst with one of the Kingsguard, and a lot of the scheming involved with House Sunspear after Robert's Rebellion. She's unique from the Sand Snakes in being the actual heir to Dorne, making her possibly the most outright powerful and confident female character aside from Dany and Stoneheart (not sure if the latter even counts, lol). Other powerful female characters, like Melisandre or Olenna Tyrell (even Cersei, arguably) wield power from behind the scenes instead of seizing it outright.

Yo, you talking books? Get outta here.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 6:59:21 PM
At 3/11/2015 5:59:55 PM, Malacoda wrote:

Haha, you can't talk about Arriane without talking about the books, seeing as she isn't in the show and, from what has been released, may never be. =P
- Hilaire Belloc -
Malacoda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 7:15:21 PM
At 3/11/2015 6:59:21 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/11/2015 5:59:55 PM, Malacoda wrote:

Haha, you can't talk about Arriane without talking about the books, seeing as she isn't in the show and, from what has been released, may never be. =P

Haha, I know, I know. I just feel left out when people talk about the books!
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 9:59:55 PM

Already confirmed, and I believe I know who :(
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:02:20 PM
At 3/12/2015 9:59:55 PM, phantom wrote:

Who do you think it will be? I was worried that it would be Jaime or Tyrion...
- Hilaire Belloc -
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:09:50 PM
At 3/12/2015 10:02:20 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Selmy. Apparently, an anonymous actor had an interview about his lack of screen time this season and death. He was surprised because he had read the books and thought he would be getting allot more scenes than before. The actor of Ser Barristan has read the books while most of the cast has not. Barristan also gets POV's in ADWD and he's not very visible in the trailer.

I think Bronn's also going to die. It doesn't look like Arys Oakheart will be in this season and I think Bronn's going to take on that character's role. We know Jaime's going to Dorne from the trailers. Bronn's already been taking on some of Illyn Payne's role, so I think Bronn is also accompanying Jaime like Payne did (though not to Dorne of course). Bronn virtually disappears in the books after Swords, so I can see why D&D would replace Oakheart with Bronn.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:11:41 PM
Dorne's my favorite of all the kingdoms and Arriane's one of the best characters, so I am really disappointed with her omission. I hope the sand snakes and Ellaria adequately make up for it.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:15:16 PM
At 3/12/2015 10:09:50 PM, phantom wrote:

Selmy. Apparently, an anonymous actor had an interview about his lack of screen time this season and death. He was surprised because he had read the books and thought he would be getting allot more scenes than before. The actor of Ser Barristan has read the books while most of the cast has not. Barristan also gets POV's in ADWD and he's not very visible in the trailer.

I was expecting him to be killed in the books anyway, so that one doesn't really bother me that much. I think he's going to take the place Belwas at the arena.

I think Bronn's also going to die. It doesn't look like Arys Oakheart will be in this season and I think Bronn's going to take on that character's role. We know Jaime's going to Dorne from the trailers. Bronn's already been taking on some of Illyn Payne's role, so I think Bronn is also accompanying Jaime like Payne did (though not to Dorne of course). Bronn virtually disappears in the books after Swords, so I can see why D&D would replace Oakheart with Bronn.

Oh, that makes A LOT of sense. My sister will cry, lol, she adores Bronn.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:17:54 PM
At 3/12/2015 10:11:41 PM, phantom wrote:
Dorne's my favorite of all the kingdoms and Arriane's one of the best characters, so I am really disappointed with her omission. I hope the sand snakes and Ellaria adequately make up for it.

Yeah, me too. Arriane's last scene with her father was honestly one of the most powerful scenes in the books for me, though I guess it could be repeated with Trystane, though the fact that Arriane thought that she was being deprived of he birthright makes what he says all the more powerful.

I really hate that they're replacing her with her brother, as it does smack of misogyny. I mean, seriously, the Seven Kingdoms has ONE female heir, and you have to replace her with her nobody brother?

It makes me think that Myrcella is going to play a much bigger role that in the books.
- Hilaire Belloc -
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:21:00 PM
At 3/12/2015 10:15:16 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I was expecting him to be killed in the books anyway, so that one doesn't really bother me that much. I think he's going to take the place Belwas at the arena.

Wait, does Belwas get poisoned? I don't actually recall.

Lol, well, at least we actually get to see more of Bronn, unlike in the books.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:22:55 PM
At 3/12/2015 10:21:00 PM, phantom wrote:

*Spoilers* Not fatally, though that is due to his girth. He serves as Dany's canary in the coal mine, so to speak. Without him, that role may be served by Selmy's death by poisoning.

Lol, true.
- Hilaire Belloc -
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:25:30 PM
At 3/12/2015 10:17:54 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Yeah, me too. Arriane's last scene with her father was honestly one of the most powerful scenes in the books for me, though I guess it could be repeated with Trystane, though the fact that Arriane thought that she was being deprived of he birthright makes what he says all the more powerful.

Same here. Doran's such a cunning and cautious character. One of the biggest players in the game.

I really hate that they're replacing her with her brother, as it does smack of misogyny. I mean, seriously, the Seven Kingdoms has ONE female heir, and you have to replace her with her nobody brother?

Yeah, the status of women in Dorne is one reason it's so awesome compared to the rest of the kingdoms.

It makes me think that Myrcella is going to play a much bigger role that in the books.

Could be. She and Tommen are going to die though :(
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:27:47 PM
At 3/12/2015 10:22:55 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/12/2015 10:21:00 PM, phantom wrote:

*Spoilers* Not fatally, though that is due to his girth. He serves as Dany's canary in the coal mine, so to speak. Without him, that role may be served by Selmy's death by poisoning.

I had completely forgotten about that, lol. That does seem plausible.

Lol, true.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:34:54 PM
At 3/12/2015 10:25:30 PM, phantom wrote:

Same here. Doran's such a cunning and cautious character. One of the biggest players in the game.

Yep, definitely one of my favorite characters.

Yeah, the status of women in Dorne is one reason it's so awesome compared to the rest of the kingdoms.

Yeah, definitely. And the fact that they were the only one to resist Targaryen power.

= ( Nooo. Tommen, I think will. I don't know about Myrcella, I think that Dorne may actually use her to seize control of the Iron Throne once Tommen is dead under Dornish succession law, or may be keeping her around as a contingency plan. She would be the sole remaining heir to the Baratheon line.

I do think that the Sunspears will be brought into conflict with the Tyrells in the next book, and Olenna vs. Doran will be EPIC.
- Hilaire Belloc -
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:43:03 PM
At 3/12/2015 10:34:54 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I'm liking the looks of the show character. He doesn't look as sickly as I imagined, but he does seem to capture the persona.

Yeah, definitely. And the fact that they were the only one to resist Targaryen power.

Yeah, they operate very independently from the rest of the kingdoms. And now they're allying with the Targaryen's!

= ( Nooo. Tommen, I think will. I don't know about Myrcella, I think that Dorne may actually use her to seize control of the Iron Throne once Tommen is dead under Dornish succession law, or may be keeping her around as a contingency plan. She would be the sole remaining heir to the Baratheon line.

Maggy's prophecy foresees that they'll both die before Cersei. It's just a question of when sadly. http://awoiaf.westeros.org...

I do think that the Sunspears will be brought into conflict with the Tyrells in the next book, and Olenna vs. Doran will be EPIC.

Two great minds. If only Tywin was still around.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:49:57 PM
At 3/12/2015 10:43:03 PM, phantom wrote:

I'm liking the looks of the show character. He doesn't look as sickly as I imagined, but he does seem to capture the persona.

Yeah, they operate very independently from the rest of the kingdoms. And now they're allying with the Targaryen's!

Maggy's prophecy foresees that they'll both die before Cersei. It's just a question of when sadly. http://awoiaf.westeros.org...

I forgot about that! I think that Maggy is the reason that they are adding flashbacks.

Yeah, I really liked Tywin. He was such a complex character, like all of the Lannisters. Born into a powerless family, obsessed with restoring them to glory, yet completely in love with his wife. He was so classically tragic in that his rage over his wife's death made him blind to the fact that Tyrion, not Jaime, was the son he'd always wanted, and that entire dynamic destroyed the family which he worked so hard to protect. His story is just sad.
- Hilaire Belloc -
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 11:04:07 PM
At 3/12/2015 10:49:57 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I forgot about that! I think that Maggy is the reason that they are adding flashbacks.

Yeah, I really liked Tywin. He was such a complex character, like all of the Lannisters.

Yeah, the Lannisters have some of the best characters, especially Tyrion, Jaime, and Tywin.

Born into a powerless family, obsessed with restoring them to glory, yet completely in love with his wife. He was so classically tragic in that his rage over his wife's death made him blind to the fact that Tyrion, not Jaime, was the son he'd always wanted, and that entire dynamic destroyed the family which he worked so hard to protect. His story is just sad.

I completely agree. It is quite sad. In the show, when Cersei was telling him that "his entire legacy was a lie" I couldn't help but feel really sorry for him. I was pretty mad when Tyrion killed him, and it was much worse in the show since they discarded his primary reason for doing so: Tysha.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 12:38:27 AM
At 3/12/2015 11:04:07 PM, phantom wrote:

Yeah, I really liked Tywin. He was such a complex character, like all of the Lannisters.

Yeah, the Lannisters have some of the best characters, especially Tyrion, Jaime, and Tywin.

Born into a powerless family, obsessed with restoring them to glory, yet completely in love with his wife. He was so classically tragic in that his rage over his wife's death made him blind to the fact that Tyrion, not Jaime, was the son he'd always wanted, and that entire dynamic destroyed the family which he worked so hard to protect. His story is just sad.

I completely agree. It is quite sad. In the show, when Cersei was telling him that "his entire legacy was a lie" I couldn't help but feel really sorry for him. I was pretty mad when Tyrion killed him, and it was much worse in the show since they discarded his primary reason for doing so: Tysha.

YES. Cersei I feel bad for too to some degree, but she has become so vicious that I cannot really sympathize with her. Tywin at least tries to do what he thinks is best for his family, Cirsei is far more neurotic and self-centered to the point of almost being unsympathetic, though the prophecy which haunts her really casts some light on her character during her recent POV scenes.

And YES on the Tyrion bit. I had to pause and explain that, because he looked like he had basically gone insane without that crucial back-story.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 12:48:36 AM

How do you feel about Melisandre? She's always been one of my favorites, and not many people agree, lol.

And, probable *SPOILERS*, for this entire chain.
- Hilaire Belloc -
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 9:41:57 AM
At 3/13/2015 12:38:27 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

YES. Cersei I feel bad for too to some degree, but she has become so vicious that I cannot really sympathize with her. Tywin at least tries to do what he thinks is best for his family, Cirsei is far more neurotic and self-centered to the point of almost being unsympathetic, though the prophecy which haunts her really casts some light on her character during her recent POV scenes.

I agree. Her getting POV chapters in Feast really brought allot of insight to her character. It's funny how blind she is though; thinking she can just ignore the Iron Bank, lol. It's actually kind of hilarious that Varys and Littlefinger both want her to stay in power so that she'll tear the realm apart for them.

And YES on the Tyrion bit. I had to pause and explain that, because he looked like he had basically gone insane without that crucial back-story.

Other than Jaime's rape scene--which I'm trying hard to forget--this is what I hated most about season 4.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 9:45:08 AM
At 3/13/2015 12:48:36 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

How do you feel about Melisandre? She's always been one of my favorites, and not many people agree, lol.

She's not one of my favorites, but I don't dislike her. She's an interesting character, but kinda deluded about believing Stannis is AA. I read there's going to be sexual tension between her and Jon this season... Weird.

And, probable *SPOILERS*, for this entire chain.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 9:49:31 AM
Another thing I think they'll do this season is replace Victarian and Euron with Balon. In the books, Balon died early on in book three, which would have aligned with season 3 in the show, but the show has not killed him off. Victarian and Euron haven't been cast for this season, so I think Balon's going to replace both of them. The only problem that produces is that Melisandre's prophecy would be wrong, since Balon wouldn't die.