Jump to topic:

Has anyone here ever gone skydiving?

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 12:24:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I want to do it, really bad. I'm currently saving up for law school but in the meantime want to check some things off my bucket-list and skydiving is one of them. Before I do so, I'd like to hear from others about the experience of skydiving.

Some questions I have:

1 - What was the anticipation like as you were going up in the plane?
2 - How long are the instructional classes before they let you go up the first time?
3 - What was the sensation of falling like? Does it set off that tingly feeling that usually comes while riding roller-coasters that go on a steep drop?
4 - Was it worth it? Like, when you hit the ground, how awesome was it?
5 - Would you do it again?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 7:50:28 PM
At 3/11/2015 12:24:34 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

6 of us were in the back of a tiny plane, which had one sliding door on the side being held shut by an inflatable flotation tube. I would have been scared out of my mind, had they not done such a good job of pumping you up before hand. All I was really thinking about was the instructions they gave us, enjoying the view, and contemplating what was about to happen.

2 - How long are the instructional classes before they let you go up the first time?

An hour-long safety video (outlining all the ways you could die), followed by 10 minutes of instruction. I did a tandem jump. It would be much longer if you did a solo jump, though depending on where you live, you may not be allowed to do a solo jump as your first.

3 - What was the sensation of falling like? Does it set off that tingly feeling that usually comes while riding roller-coasters that go on a steep drop?

I was fine until the second they tipped me forward out the door of the plane, after which I was screaming profanities until we pulled the chute. Falling feels exactly like you think it would feel like. it feels like you're falling incredibly fast and are going to die lol. It was the scariest sh!t in the world. It's not the same as that weightlessness you feel on a coaster, especially because of the wind in your face. The best feeling is after the chute is pulled; controlling it and whipping left and right is incredible.

10/10 would bang

Yeah, but probably only if I did it with someone I know so that we could share that experience. I tried describing it to the people waiting for me and there's only so much you can get across. Do it, bruh. Be the wind.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 12:49:56 AM
At 3/11/2015 7:50:28 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 3/11/2015 12:24:34 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

6 of us were in the back of a tiny plane, which had one sliding door on the side being held shut by an inflatable flotation tube. I would have been scared out of my mind, had they not done such a good job of pumping you up before hand. All I was really thinking about was the instructions they gave us, enjoying the view, and contemplating what was about to happen.

An hour-long safety video (outlining all the ways you could die), followed by 10 minutes of instruction. I did a tandem jump. It would be much longer if you did a solo jump, though depending on where you live, you may not be allowed to do a solo jump as your first.

I was fine until the second they tipped me forward out the door of the plane, after which I was screaming profanities until we pulled the chute. Falling feels exactly like you think it would feel like. it feels like you're falling incredibly fast and are going to die lol. It was the scariest sh!t in the world. It's not the same as that weightlessness you feel on a coaster, especially because of the wind in your face. The best feeling is after the chute is pulled; controlling it and whipping left and right is incredible.

10/10 would bang

Yeah, but probably only if I did it with someone I know so that we could share that experience. I tried describing it to the people waiting for me and there's only so much you can get across. Do it, bruh. Be the wind.

Nice man, I appreciate the responses! I am really pumped to do it, now I just need to find a good place around my area. I'm definitely going to do a tandem jump first, lol, no way would I try solo for my first time! I kinda figured there was an instructional class pre-jump, it seems to be the case for most extreme sports/activities. Again, thank you for the responses!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Vafara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 1:23:40 PM
I did 2 tandem jumps. The first one I had a group going and everyone backed out the day of. I had psyched myself up so I decided to go alone anyway.

I was nervously cracking jokes (I said to the instructor.."you aren't going to unhook me are you? I mean I don't look like an ex girlfriend that dumped you or anything, right?"

Instruction yes was as stated....not long.

The moment you step out of the plane it is almost surreal. Like your brain can't really process that you are actually stepping out a plane.

When you land it is a major high.

After I told everyone how great it was, some decided to go so I went with them and jumped again. It really is fun and you start to feel, if you can jump out of a plane you can do anything!