Jump to topic:

Advice for Extreme Laziness?

Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 6:50:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've come to notice something about myself. I find it difficult to will myself to do anything. I find it difficult to do things I know I need to do, like studying or even practicing daily hygiene. I really don't *do* anything. Other folk my age are in sports and clubs, you know, keeping themselves busy and achieving things to help them in the future. Me? I sit down on my phone and listen either to music or to opinionated YouTubers essentially repeating exactly what I think, in either activity there is little challenge and little reward other than the temporary and superficial joy of being lazy.

And I actually quite like it. I enjoy not doing anything, I don't have that restless "go get it" drive or natural desire for any challenge/competition. I just enjoy the haze of rest way too much for my own good. Looking back, I have never achieved anything that required actual effort on my part. Nothing. I cannot honestly demonstrate even one instance of me working hard to achieve a goal, ever. And I'm already 17 years old--there are plenty of kids in my school that are working at jobs and juggle pulling out A's with placing high in sports or some other competitive activity. Or even if they only focus on one thing, like doing well in school, they do so with incredible diligence and are always the top of the class. Now, I very well know that doing well in school or sports isn't the end-all-be-all of achievement. I wouldn't think it a problem if I were doing badly in school but instead focused on something else, like some sort of passion. But I don't have that excuse. I just don't do anything.

And I already pretty much know the problem: it's lack of willpower mixed with the supreme reign of desire, which work together to create a lazy, hedonistic character. As Plato writes in one of his books, The Republic, there are three parts to a person's soul: reason, desire, and passion. Reason is the part of your soul that uses logic and wisdom to come to conclusions about the best possible action to take. Desire is the part that uses instinct to discern the best action to take (in it resides the base desires for food and other form of bodily pleasure). Passion is the part of you in which resides strong emotion and will, and can either side with desire or reason. Plato concludes that it is best to have reason at the helm, with desire and passion taking supportive roles, and that the dissolution of this hierarchy leads to vice.

(With no intention of going into any sort of metaphysical debate, I will say that I think there is no such thing as a "soul" and thus there can be no "parts" to it, but I like to take Plato's construction of the soul as an allegory-- a way of visualizing the human psyche.)

Like I've already said, I know what's wrong: there is an imbalance in the hierarchy of my "soul"; desire rules over me and passion refuses to play any role-- supportive or otherwise. I just don't know what to do about it. Does anyone else fell the same way or have any advice as to how to deal with it?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 6:57:13 PM
Are you depressed?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 6:57:16 PM
Adderal helps, but on a more practical and ethical note.

Eat healthy, exercise, take care of your mental health and give yourself a life purpose. A big purpose that gets you out of bed. Something that has a great meaning not just some selfish desire.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 7:00:28 PM
At 3/14/2015 6:57:13 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Are you depressed?

I was thinking that also. I get into my phases where I just can't motivate myself to do anything. My last phase lasted about 3 weeks, I stopped debating at the tail end of it and when I was at work, I literally did nothing, whatever I felt like and took excessive breaks.

I thought it would get me fired but oddly my bosses gave me a wider berth and actually we work more like a team now after that little episode.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 8:59:07 PM
Are you depressed?

I won't be so hasty as to call it depression, but it's certainly something like it. It's an extreme lack of passion and energy, not always accompanied with a low mood, but it's not rare to find days where I'm just down in the dumps.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:03:36 PM
At 3/14/2015 8:59:07 PM, Harper wrote:
Are you depressed?

I won't be so hasty as to call it depression, but it's certainly something like it. It's an extreme lack of passion and energy, not always accompanied with a low mood, but it's not rare to find days where I'm just down in the dumps.

Try therapy, maybe. It might be worth a shot.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:10:18 PM
At 3/14/2015 6:57:16 PM, Wylted wrote:
It does? Would you happen to have any personal experience with it?

Eat healthy, exercise, take care of your mental health and give yourself a life purpose. A big purpose that gets you out of bed. Something that has a great meaning not just some selfish desire.
The first two seem like fantastic first steps, perhaps I'll cut junk out of my diet and jog. I just need to find the motivation for them. As for mental health: how does one take care of it, exactly? Is it just socializing, or what? And what would you see as an example of a good life purpose? The best I can come up with given my atheism is to give yourself the life you deserve to live as a sentient individual, or to contribute to some sort of cause (not to sound like a complete nihilist, but even those causes die out in the end).

Thank you for your advice, hopefully I'll get things in order soon.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:16:59 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:03:36 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 3/14/2015 8:59:07 PM, Harper wrote:
Are you depressed?

Try therapy, maybe. It might be worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it. Though I think I should wait until I'm at least 18 and have my own income to do so, I don't want to put any sort of strain on my parents.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:17:50 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:14:43 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/14/2015 6:50:36 PM, Harper wrote:

Major in philosophy in college.

I assume it's helped you?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:20:34 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:17:50 PM, Harper wrote:

I've never really been lazy, but most of the phil. majors I knew were generally like what you described in the OP. I suggested it because I think you'll fit in with them.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:27:59 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:10:18 PM, Harper wrote:

Yes, it helps you to do mundane tasks but I only take them as a pick me upper, since they aren't prescribed to me and my access is limited. I think they should put that shitt in our drinking supply. America would be the most productive and focused country in the world if they stopped poisoning us with fluoride and poisoned us with that instead.

The first two seem like fantastic first steps, perhaps I'll cut junk out of my diet and jog. I just need to find the motivation for them. As for mental health: how does one take care of it, exactly?

You need to see a licensed psychologist but until you can study stoicis or Buddhism and learn mindfulness to the best of your ability.

Is it just socializing, or what? And what would you see as an example of a good life purpose?

I can't tell you that. It is extremely subjective, but what gets you excited? What makes you want to get up and do something? you have got to have a purpose, and if it isn't a life purpose you can get excited about look for a 3 month purpose to get you excited or any time period even if it is just having a purpose for this day. purpose is what drives us, gives us self esteem. Look at Maslow's hierarchy of needs (Google it). Purpose is at the top. The needs below it, absolutely must be met for good mental health, but make no mistake, you will feel incomplete without the purpose and most people meet the lower needs without trying.

The best I can come up with given my atheism is to give yourself the life you deserve to live as a sentient individual, or to contribute to some sort of cause (not to sound like a complete nihilist, but even those causes die out in the end).

The results don't matter. It is the journey that is important, and without your North Star (your purpose), the journey can't happen. Be nihilistic all you want to. Nihilism agrees with what I'm saying. nietzsche Knew the importance of purpose. So if the choice is living a happy fulfilled life pursuing a cause that dies out and living a life of quiet desperation than I think you know what to pick.

Don't start to think about how your purpose will look to others. It doesn't have to be huge. Maybe you love computer programming so your purpose is to be the best programmer in the world. It doesn't sound heroic, but who cares. Fulfilling that purpose will help millions of people, maybe more with how interconnected this whole world is, and even more important than helping people. Living your purpose, makes you happy and fulfilled.

You will.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:30:30 PM

Yeah but he'll probably want to get a job when he graduates.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:33:52 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:30:30 PM, Wylted wrote:

Yeah but he'll probably want to get a job when he graduates.

That's what grad school is for lol
Tsar of DDO
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:39:10 PM
I've come to notice something about myself. I find it difficult to will myself to do anything. I find it difficult to do things I know I need to do, like studying or even practicing daily hygiene. I really don't *do* anything. Other folk my age are in sports and clubs, you know, keeping themselves busy and achieving things to help them in the future. Me? I sit down on my phone and listen either to music or to opinionated YouTubers essentially repeating exactly what I think, in either activity there is little challenge and little reward other than the temporary and superficial joy of being lazy.

And I actually quite like it. I enjoy not doing anything, I don't have that restless "go get it" drive or natural desire for any challenge/competition. I just enjoy the haze of rest way too much for my own good. Looking back, I have never achieved anything that required actual effort on my part. Nothing. I cannot honestly demonstrate even one instance of me working hard to achieve a goal, ever. And I'm already 17 years old--there are plenty of kids in my school that are working at jobs and juggle pulling out A's with placing high in sports or some other competitive activity. Or even if they only focus on one thing, like doing well in school, they do so with incredible diligence and are always the top of the class. Now, I very well know that doing well in school or sports isn't the end-all-be-all of achievement. I wouldn't think it a problem if I were doing badly in school but instead focused on something else, like some sort of passion. But I don't have that excuse. I just don't do anything.

And I already pretty much know the problem: it's lack of willpower mixed with the supreme reign of desire, which work together to create a lazy, hedonistic character. As Plato writes in one of his books, The Republic, there are three parts to a person's soul: reason, desire, and passion. Reason is the part of your soul that uses logic and wisdom to come to conclusions about the best possible action to take. Desire is the part that uses instinct to discern the best action to take (in it resides the base desires for food and other form of bodily pleasure). Passion is the part of you in which resides strong emotion and will, and can either side with desire or reason. Plato concludes that it is best to have reason at the helm, with desire and passion taking supportive roles, and that the dissolution of this hierarchy leads to vice.

(With no intention of going into any sort of metaphysical debate, I will say that I think there is no such thing as a "soul" and thus there can be no "parts" to it, but I like to take Plato's construction of the soul as an allegory-- a way of visualizing the human psyche.)

Like I've already said, I know what's wrong: there is an imbalance in the hierarchy of my "soul"; desire rules over me and passion refuses to play any role-- supportive or otherwise. I just don't know what to do about it. Does anyone else fell the same way or have any advice as to how to deal with it?

Well... my method may be a tad bit.. unique.
I used to be a lot like you, in the sense I lacked the drive to do anything.
I drifted through life without a single purpose.
One day, however, I got attacked by a set of lowly bullies.
After that, I decided on something very simple. I would dedicate my life to becoming perfect so that such never happened again.
Well.. saying I decided it alone is a bit untrue, but detail would take us away from the morale of the story.
From that day on, I've worked tirelessly to achieve what I see as perfection. That being honor and influence.

What you need is something to give your life purpose.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:41:56 PM

He's right I know people who did a useless degree and then went & worked for Goldman. Basically, you can study non lazy subjects for your PHD or something. Until then do Philosophy & listen to the Beatles.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:43:36 PM

I can relate. I've noticed this with myself lately too: I lack motivation to do things, even if they are pretty important and need to be done. I'm not really sure why.

I've found music to be a good motivator for studying. Other than that I'm still trying to find ways to motivate myself. I can't think of anything else besides listening to something upbeat and catchy that makes you want to get up and do stuff. That's definitely worked for me at least.
sky711
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 6:45:21 AM
Harper, I don't think your lazy at all. You are a very young man with his whole life ahead of him. Do you realize how many people wish they were in your position, that they can laze around carefree. I myself am retired and all my kids are grown and on their own and I am loving it. I love having nothing to do but what I want to do e.g. listening to my music, on my computer etc. I have been retired for 15 yrs and I am 64 yrs old. I have family and friends that are alway inviting me out to party's and other events. I don't go because I did all that before, and some people think I'm lazy too. I just don't want to do anything that doesn't constitute me being in my house.

Like I said, you have your whole life ahead of you, take your time to find out where you fit in, and eventually you will find your niche in life...Hugs
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 3:22:17 PM

I literally could have wrote that myself.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 3:47:32 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:20:34 PM, YYW wrote:

I've never really been lazy, but most of the phil. majors I knew were generally like what you described in the OP. I suggested it because I think you'll fit in with them.

Ah, I see, haha
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:30:14 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:27:59 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 3/14/2015 9:10:18 PM, Harper wrote:

Yes, it helps you to do mundane tasks but I only take them as a pick me upper, since they aren't prescribed to me and my access is limited. I think they should put that shitt in our drinking supply. America would be the most productive and focused country in the world if they stopped poisoning us with fluoride and poisoned us with that instead.

Interesting.

The first two seem like fantastic first steps, perhaps I'll cut junk out of my diet and jog. I just need to find the motivation for them. As for mental health: how does one take care of it, exactly?

You need to see a licensed psychologist but until you can study stoicis or Buddhism and learn mindfulness to the best of your ability.

I'll try that.
Is it just socializing, or what? And what would you see as an example of a good life purpose?

I can't tell you that. It is extremely subjective, but what gets you excited? What makes you want to get up and do something? you have got to have a purpose, and if it isn't a life purpose you can get excited about look for a 3 month purpose to get you excited or any time period even if it is just having a purpose for this day. purpose is what drives us, gives us self esteem. Look at Maslow's hierarchy of needs (Google it). Purpose is at the top. The needs below it, absolutely must be met for good mental health, but make no mistake, you will feel incomplete without the purpose and most people meet the lower needs without trying.

I'll be sure to do some more soul-searching for that.

The best I can come up with given my atheism is to give yourself the life you deserve to live as a sentient individual, or to contribute to some sort of cause (not to sound like a complete nihilist, but even those causes die out in the end).

The results don't matter. It is the journey that is important, and without your North Star (your purpose), the journey can't happen. Be nihilistic all you want to. Nihilism agrees with what I'm saying. nietzsche Knew the importance of purpose. So if the choice is living a happy fulfilled life pursuing a cause that dies out and living a life of quiet desperation than I think you know what to pick.

Don't start to think about how your purpose will look to others. It doesn't have to be huge. Maybe you love computer programming so your purpose is to be the best programmer in the world. It doesn't sound heroic, but who cares. Fulfilling that purpose will help millions of people, maybe more with how interconnected this whole world is, and even more important than helping people. Living your purpose, makes you happy and fulfilled.
And hopefully, it'll also result in some productivity!

You will.
Thanks again.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:31:51 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:39:10 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Well... my method may be a tad bit.. unique.
I used to be a lot like you, in the sense I lacked the drive to do anything.
I drifted through life without a single purpose.
One day, however, I got attacked by a set of lowly bullies.
After that, I decided on something very simple. I would dedicate my life to becoming perfect so that such never happened again.
Well.. saying I decided it alone is a bit untrue, but detail would take us away from the morale of the story.
From that day on, I've worked tirelessly to achieve what I see as perfection. That being honor and influence.

What you need is something to give your life purpose.
Being perfect? Given our human nature, you are guaranteed a purpose till the end of time. Pretty good purpose if you ask me.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:35:39 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:41:56 PM, fazz wrote:

He's right I know people who did a useless degree and then went & worked for Goldman. Basically, you can study non lazy subjects for your PHD or something. Until then do Philosophy & listen to the Beatles.

If anything, I'll probably either go into genetics or physics, and I'm thinking of going on a hiatus from college after my bachelors (one of my dreams was to go on a long, long road trip, so I want to do it while I'm in my twenties). I'll probably get an undergraduate degree in something "useless" as you said, and then work on a masters/Ph.D. (Is that a good idea, though?)
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:38:03 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:43:36 PM, Varrack wrote:

I can relate. I've noticed this with myself lately too: I lack motivation to do things, even if they are pretty important and need to be done. I'm not really sure why.

I've found music to be a good motivator for studying. Other than that I'm still trying to find ways to motivate myself. I can't think of anything else besides listening to something upbeat and catchy that makes you want to get up and do stuff. That's definitely worked for me at least.
Music tends to have the opposite effect on me, it's like a black hole of distraction and laziness. I've been abstaining from music entirely for a couple days now, and I'm finally doing a little bit of studying here and there. It's interesting, how the same thing could have completely different effects on people.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:42:30 PM
At 3/15/2015 6:45:21 AM, sky711 wrote:
Harper, I don't think your lazy at all. You are a very young man with his whole life ahead of him.

Thank you for the kind words.

Do you realize how many people wish they were in your position, that they can laze around carefree.

Yes, I know what I have is really good, I just want to take advantage of the opportunity to have no worries. I'm pretty sure that when I'm out of the house, things will be very different. I'll probably have no time for anything anymore.

I myself am retired and all my kids are grown and on their own and I am loving it. I love having nothing to do but what I want to do e.g. listening to my music, on my computer etc. I have been retired for 15 yrs and I am 64 yrs old. I have family and friends that are alway inviting me out to party's and other events. I don't go because I did all that before, and some people think I'm lazy too. I just don't want to do anything that doesn't constitute me being in my house.

Haha! You're like an older version of myself. It's good that your family and friends are inviting you out all the time, but I can definitely understand why you'd want to stay at home.

Like I said, you have your whole life ahead of you, take your time to find out where you fit in, and eventually you will find your niche in life...Hugs
Thanks for your advice, sir.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:42:40 PM
At 3/17/2015 12:38:03 PM, Harper wrote:

Music tends to have the opposite effect on me, it's like a black hole of distraction and laziness. I've been abstaining from music entirely for a couple days now, and I'm finally doing a little bit of studying here and there. It's interesting, how the same thing could have completely different effects on people.

Oh, well, just ignore me then lol.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:43:26 PM
At 3/15/2015 3:22:17 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Good to know that I have others in my same boat. Procrastinators, unite!
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:45:27 PM
At 3/17/2015 12:43:26 PM, Harper wrote:

I think I'll unite later...
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:48:24 PM
At 3/17/2015 12:42:40 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 3/17/2015 12:38:03 PM, Harper wrote:

Oh, well, just ignore me then lol.
Well, it's not like you could have telepathically known that it was different for me.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:48:58 PM
At 3/17/2015 12:45:27 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 3/17/2015 12:43:26 PM, Harper wrote:

I think I'll unite later...

That sounds good. Push it to next week, then?