Jump to topic:

Biggest mistake?

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 10:48:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Out of curiosity, what is the biggest mistake that you've made in your life? A choice that you might have thought would turn out fine, but it resulted in disaster. It doesn't necessarily have to be a "regret", because this is implying that the choice was already made, but I guess it could be.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Shield
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 11:17:46 PM
I was laying on the floor with my dog as she was dying - her lungs and brain were failing her. I called my dad to tell him to hurry home to take her to the vet. Then I went upstairs to wake up the rest of my family when I realized she wasnt going to make it. I followed them all downstairs and watched them cry and then went upstairs to call my dad again to tell him that she wasnt going to make it long enough for him to get home and take her to the vet. While I was upstairs, I heard her yelp as she took her last breath. I wish I had just stayed downstairs with her. She was probably wondering where I went.
The proudest moment of my life was when i traveled a thousand miles for love and brought that love back with me those same thousand miles. Nothing that has ever happened, nor ever will, will ever take that pride away from my heart.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 11:37:04 PM
When I was a kid, I had this adorable tiny little kitty that I loved a lot. I decided to sleep with "Crystal", and I awoke to realize I had rolled over on her and killed her.

I still want to cry about it.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:41:04 AM
At 3/15/2015 10:48:41 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the biggest mistake that you've made in your life? A choice that you might have thought would turn out fine, but it resulted in disaster. It doesn't necessarily have to be a "regret", because this is implying that the choice was already made, but I guess it could be.

I don't know why but I just really can't extract the answers of these type of questions. Like biggest mistake, biggest achievement, biggest aim, or the alike. Either way I'd have to recall from memory, though still not sure if that'd be true.

Anyway I can recall some unusual (somewhat silly) events. Once I just spilled a water glass over my aunt's dressing table while she was out, I used a lots of tissue papers to wipe it all, (in other words, I just shifted all the water in the room basket; she would have got to know afterwards, oopps ). The moment I was doing my job, she kept talking to her maid while standing at the room door. I was so joyful that she finished her talk and returned her face back, right after my last attempt lol. I think that was my immature reaction.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:48:44 AM
My biggest regret would be letting fear dictate a lot of things in my life. It is tough to pinpoint every location that fear hides but it has manifested itself in uncertainty, paralysis by analysis, doubt and in 100 other ways.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:50:14 AM
When I was in high school, a girl with braces was attracted to me. The braces looked hideous though and gave her a lisp. However, when the braces came off she became hot and talked normally.

A little bit of delayed-gratification goes a long way. Girls w/ braces are a vastly undervalued commodity.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:53:02 AM
At 3/15/2015 11:37:04 PM, Wylted wrote:
When I was a kid, I had this adorable tiny little kitty that I loved a lot. I decided to sleep with "Crystal", and I awoke to realize I had rolled over on her and killed her.

Isn't that what Ozzy Osborne's son did to his pet?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:58:53 AM
At 3/16/2015 12:53:02 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Isn't that what Ozzy Osborne's son did to his pet?

Maybe it isn't as uncommon as I thought.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 1:00:14 AM
At 3/16/2015 12:50:14 AM, darkkermit wrote:
When I was in high school, a girl with braces was attracted to me. The braces looked hideous though and gave her a lisp. However, when the braces came off she became hot and talked normally.

A little bit of delayed-gratification goes a long way. Girls w/ braces are a vastly undervalued commodity.

I can't imagine braces affecting somebody's appearance too much. If a girl is hot without braces than braces shouldn't change a thing. Stop being shallow :b
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 1:03:22 AM
At 3/16/2015 1:00:14 AM, Wylted wrote:

I can't imagine braces affecting somebody's appearance too much. If a girl is hot without braces than braces shouldn't change a thing. Stop being shallow :b

I had high-standards back then. Now I'm stuck w/ that fat obnoxious b*tch Miss. Piggy.
Open borders debate:
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 1:05:27 AM
At 3/16/2015 1:03:22 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 3/16/2015 1:00:14 AM, Wylted wrote:

I had high-standards back then. Now I'm stuck w/ that fat obnoxious b*tch Miss. Piggy.

You kinda deserve it for being that shallow, lol.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 1:06:45 AM
The biggest mistake I'm comfortable talking about is probably the college I went to. I had a full scholarship to one school and a partial scholarship to another and because I hated future me, I went with the partial.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 1:58:14 AM
At 3/16/2015 1:06:45 AM, Maikuru wrote:
The biggest mistake I'm comfortable talking about is probably the college I went to. I had a full scholarship to one school and a partial scholarship to another and because I hated future me, I went with the partial.

Really? I'm in the opposite situation
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 11:39:52 AM
At 3/16/2015 1:58:14 AM, ford_prefect wrote:

In that you wish you'd not gone to the better funded program? Why is that? Purge me of this regret.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:01:00 PM
At 3/16/2015 11:39:52 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 3/16/2015 1:58:14 AM, ford_prefect wrote:

In that you wish you'd not gone to the better funded program? Why is that? Purge me of this regret.

I was accepted to the university of Richmond with a full ride scholarship, Wash U in St Louis with an almost full ride, and Wharton school of business at UPenn with no scholarship. Going to UPenn with financial aid would have cost me around 20k a year, which was not possible for me at all. Short of dealing drugs or something there is just no way I could have come up with that money, so that's not really a regret so much as something I wish I could have been able to take advantage of. I do regret going to Richmond over Wash U, since in the short run it saved me about 5k a year, but in the long run I feel it has hurt my career potential. I've struggled to find a job in my field, despite majoring in Mathematical Economics, which you'd think would be a decent major for job hunting purposes. I think going to Wash U would have helped, since it has a much better national reputation than Richmond. Basically if I apply outside of Virginia, people haven't heard of my school. But everyone knows Wash U has a good reputation.

Basically Id rather be dealing with student loan payments now, than be stuck working jobs I could have gotten with a degree in a useless major from a terrible school, or even out of HS
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:02:50 PM
Biggest mistake...is a dumb one.

I was shampooing my carpet in my room with a shampooer, and my mom warned me not to get to close to the wall or else the edge of the machine would puncture the wall.
Well I was in a hurry and rammed the wall with the machine on ACCIDNET , now there is a big hole in my pink wall. I got in deep sh*t after that.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:18:21 PM

Expecting from people.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 1:12:09 PM
The biggest mistake of my life was doing drugs. It is a road to nowhere real fast.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:55:51 AM
There are two things in my life that I regret to this day:

1) Choosing public school over private.

I went to a private baptist school from Pre-K to 8th grade and absolutely hated it. The classes were not stimulating, the teachers were old hags, and the rules were irrationally strict. When it came time to choose a highschool my father presented me with several options. I loathed the idea of going to another private school, religious or not, and convinced him to let me go to a public one instead. Worst choice of my life, and definitely my biggest mistake ever.

2) Not helping a man in need

One time while at the beach with some friends a man collapsed about 10 feet from me and started having a seizure. It wasn't the first time I've ever seen that happen before, but never so up-close and personal. I just froze up, as did everyone else around us except for one guy who I think was friends with the man who collapsed. I ran up and just stood over him in sheer shock, I was literally frozen and just watching this man have a seizure instead of helping his friend turn him on his side or call 911. I hate that... and it still bothers me to this day. Since then, I made a pact with myself to never again freeze up in that kind of scenario, and to always help someone if I ever find myself in that same position. So far, I've never been given that chance to make up for my lack of help, but someday I know something like that will happen again - and when it does I'll be there to step in and help in any way I can.

The man on the beach ended up living, btw, but I'll be damned if the universe throws me into another situation like that and I don't do something about it. That's for sure.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 7:46:14 AM
There was this thing that happened, and someone in my family was killed. I keep thinking, if I had been there, maybe I could have stopped it. Of course, I had no idea it was going to happen, and I couldn't possibly have known, but at the same time it seems so arbitrary and so easy to prevent. For example, I could have easily been there in her house and stopped her going out.

That's the only thing I can think of that I would unambiguously change if I could. I can't, obviously. It's irrational to even think of it, but sometimes, because the consequences were so far ranging and chaotic, I have this weird feeling as if somehow by not doing it, I'm leading entirely the wrong life, that all the people I've met and everything I've done is all meaningless because my proper life - the one where she didn't die - was what was meant to happen.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 7:56:04 AM
At 3/17/2015 1:55:51 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I went to a private baptist school from Pre-K to 8th grade and absolutely hated it. The classes were not stimulating, the teachers were old hags, and the rules were irrationally strict. When it came time to choose a highschool my father presented me with several options. I loathed the idea of going to another private school, religious or not, and convinced him to let me go to a public one instead. Worst choice of my life, and definitely my biggest mistake ever.

I ran into something similar. I went to private school from 5th grade all the way through high school, but changed schools in the 7th grade. The first school was akin to a prison--I couldn't do so much as walk across the hall or bring a bottle of water to class without clearing it with every single authority figure you could think of. The second was much more "liberal," though nevertheless Catholic, and the level of freedom shot through the roof. If I used the first school as my standard, there's no way in hell I ever would've elected private school.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Shield
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 6:18:59 PM
At 3/17/2015 7:46:14 AM, Garbanza wrote:
There was this thing that happened, and someone in my family was killed. I keep thinking, if I had been there, maybe I could have stopped it. Of course, I had no idea it was going to happen, and I couldn't possibly have known, but at the same time it seems so arbitrary and so easy to prevent. For example, I could have easily been there in her house and stopped her going out.

That's the only thing I can think of that I would unambiguously change if I could. I can't, obviously. It's irrational to even think of it, but sometimes, because the consequences were so far ranging and chaotic, I have this weird feeling as if somehow by not doing it, I'm leading entirely the wrong life, that all the people I've met and everything I've done is all meaningless because my proper life - the one where she didn't die - was what was meant to happen.

damn...
The proudest moment of my life was when i traveled a thousand miles for love and brought that love back with me those same thousand miles. Nothing that has ever happened, nor ever will, will ever take that pride away from my heart.
Shield
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 6:20:27 PM

i almost did that to my cat she yelped which woke me up so i rolled back over really quick. i cant imagine what i would have felt if id squished her.... oh my god
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 9:52:11 PM
I regret not engaging in sexual activity with all of the girls I could have in the past, and more specifically, the 62 year old woman who offered oral sex to me at a bar in Columbus Ohio. I bet she had all kind of skill.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 6:05:32 AM

One time while at the beach with some friends a man collapsed about 10 feet from me and started having a seizure. It wasn't the first time I've ever seen that happen before, but never so up-close and personal. I just froze up, as did everyone else around us except for one guy who I think was friends with the man who collapsed. I ran up and just stood over him in sheer shock, I was literally frozen and just watching this man have a seizure instead of helping his friend turn him on his side or call 911. I hate that... and it still bothers me to this day. Since then, I made a pact with myself to never again freeze up in that kind of scenario, and to always help someone if I ever find myself in that same position. So far, I've never been given that chance to make up for my lack of help, but someday I know something like that will happen again - and when it does I'll be there to step in and help in any way I can.

The man on the beach ended up living, btw, but I'll be damned if the universe throws me into another situation like that and I don't do something about it. That's for sure.

Are you even supposed to touch someone having a seizure? In the movies, they say to put a pencil in their mouth so they don't bite their tongue off, but I heard that was a myth and a choking hazard. Not sure you're supposed to do anything, except call 911. In emergency situations, generally preparedness is a key factor in whether you act. That's why we train for emergencies, e.g. "stop, drop, and roll." The inability to act is a common stress reaction if you haven't rehearsed what to do because your lizard brain takes over when your higher functions shut down due to stress.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 2:06:20 PM
At 3/19/2015 6:05:32 AM, bluesteel wrote:

Are you even supposed to touch someone having a seizure? In the movies, they say to put a pencil in their mouth so they don't bite their tongue off, but I heard that was a myth and a choking hazard. Not sure you're supposed to do anything, except call 911. In emergency situations, generally preparedness is a key factor in whether you act. That's why we train for emergencies, e.g. "stop, drop, and roll." The inability to act is a common stress reaction if you haven't rehearsed what to do because your lizard brain takes over when your higher functions shut down due to stress.

I appreciate the explanation, it was definitely the shock that froze me up. Like, I've heard and been told what to do in situations like that, but all the preparedness in the world can't stop that shock factor once the time comes. If anything, I think it'd take constant exposure and desensitization that would make one overcome it and be able to act efficiently.

As for what to do, the only thing I know for sure is that it's best to turn the person onto their side so that they don't choke on their tongue. I'm not too familiar with any additional techniques.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 3:56:28 PM

Probably putting my chucks in my day pack.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 4:37:34 AM
At 3/19/2015 6:05:32 AM, bluesteel wrote:

You only do something for the swallowing the tongue thing, which happens in a very slim set of circumstances. And you also see it occurring, so you would know to immediately get a bite stick in there; its not very discreet. Regarding any other occurrence, the best you could do would be to pad down in any way you can hard places under their body or near them that they might "fit" into. Do not restrain, do not hold, etc.

Anecdotally, I have a friend that is prone to seizures. Her and her husband have some issues one night, she has been off her seizure meds, probably drinking a little (alcoholic), she decides she is gonna just leave. Wander about the city kinda leave. My room mate picks her up (she called us) in a bizarre state. Anyhoo, we get hold of her husband while she is locking up. Room mate and I eased her onto the couch after the fit, but due to stress, lack of food, probably some other controlled substance, she starts to get them pretty frequently. 20-30 second episodes in which she doesn't get control back for a minute or so, and it takes her a good 3 minutes for her memory to catch up, so each time she is freaking out until she remembers what happens. As whatever controlled substance she was on starts wearing off, the memory issue fades, and we get some food in her, so she levels out for a while. We call it a night, and the husband has been told to please collect his wife, as its late, and they are going to have to deal with it at some point in time. 2 am rolls around, and I hear a glass break. I think its the damn cats, because I keep hearing the glass rustling on the linoleum in the kitchen. I get up, turn on the light, expecting to see my feline batting a shard around, only to find that my friend had gotten up for a glass of water, got to the fridge, and seized. When she fell, the glass she was holding got crushed beneath her, and she was shaking on it. Blood, eyes rolled back, cut clothing, body shaking... not quite horror slasher flick level of red running around, but it was unsettling. I woke up the roomie, and we got her out of the glass as best as possible, assessed her to make sure nothing vital was cut or glass still in her. The problem came when her brain caught up, and the last thing she remember was getting water, and is now cut, and covered in a distressing amount of blood. That's when the screaming started, "Get away from me!", now we get bloody hand prints on the cabinets... I am not sure how long it was on that go round before 2 and 2 finally started adding up and she responded to the simple request of "Just hold still".

To tie this back in to the OP, before all that started, I told the roomie not to get involved, to call the husband, tell him the location, to take her to THEIR residence... you know, all the things that made sense. I should have just ran her back myself, and that was a HUGE mistake on my end. It caused a serious rift in that couple's and mine's friendship.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2015 2:52:21 PM

Dating this one girl when I was an emotional wreck after a very long relationship. It was bad, led to more heartbreak and she tried to get pregnant with me (thankfully the good Lord decided to let that one slide). It was no bueno.