Jump to topic:

Helping my brother

YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:49:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have a brother around 3 years younger than me. We look strikingly similar and have been raise in the same house yet he is almost my polar opposite. While my wall is filled with my achievements, he has none (aside from perfect attendance of which means jacksh*t) and fails most of his classes. He has also rejected every attempt I've made to get him in shape or train him to defend himself. Instead, he spends all his time playing on his Xbox. Quite simply put, he is the weaker sibling. Even my little sister is stronger than him and takes to protecting him.

A few days ago, I was walking to pick up my brother and got some Ice Cream.. delicious Ice Cream. Then some @ss knocked it out of my hand and asked "what are you doing here f@ggot?" Upon saying a prayer for my Ice Cream and acknowledging it was going to be one of those days, I asked him how much he enjoyed having his teeth. When he asked "What did you say?", I punched him in the face and left to get some more Ice Cream.

Skip forward a bit and I get to my brothers school.

He claimed to be sick but I had noticed a few kids picking on him earlier. Lo and behold, it was the @ss from earlier still with a fresh bruise on his chin (remember kids, speed kills). I asked him why he was letting such filth do that and he just asked to go home. After considering how many of them I could fit in a reasonably sized car's trunk, I agreed. When we got home, me and my parents yelled between each other. They wish to move him to private classes and I said letting such filth win was beneath us. I demanded we march down to that school and demand action be taken or demand legal action. We are currently still debating it but I fear my parents will b***h out.

So how do you think my hopeless brother can be helped.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:55:37 PM
In hindsight, this has been a violent week for me.
TUF, and YYW
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:03:45 PM
At 3/23/2015 9:55:37 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

O_____________________________O
Absentia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:54:06 PM
At 3/23/2015 9:49:12 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
I have a brother around 3 years younger than me. We look strikingly similar and have been raise in the same house yet he is almost my polar opposite. While my wall is filled with my achievements, he has none (aside from perfect attendance of which means jacksh*t) and fails most of his classes. He has also rejected every attempt I've made to get him in shape or train him to defend himself. Instead, he spends all his time playing on his Xbox. Quite simply put, he is the weaker sibling. Even my little sister is stronger than him and takes to protecting him.

A few days ago, I was walking to pick up my brother and got some Ice Cream.. delicious Ice Cream. Then some @ss knocked it out of my hand and asked "what are you doing here f@ggot?" Upon saying a prayer for my Ice Cream and acknowledging it was going to be one of those days, I asked him how much he enjoyed having his teeth. When he asked "What did you say?", I punched him in the face and left to get some more Ice Cream.

He claimed to be sick but I had noticed a few kids picking on him earlier. Lo and behold, it was the @ss from earlier still with a fresh bruise on his chin (remember kids, speed kills). I asked him why he was letting such filth do that and he just asked to go home. After considering how many of them I could fit in a reasonably sized car's trunk, I agreed. When we got home, me and my parents yelled between each other. They wish to move him to private classes and I said letting such filth win was beneath us. I demanded we march down to that school and demand action be taken or demand legal action. We are currently still debating it but I fear my parents will b***h out.

Prehaps a trading places or you could toughen him up a bit?
It's sad when you cry alone in your room and you realize that no one else realizes how depressed you.

I fear nothing except failure.

<3 Lee001
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 10:57:19 PM

You can't force change onto someone. If he wanted to change, toughen up, be more like you etc, he would have made an effort by now. Honestly, he has to sink or swim on his own.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:08:12 PM

"Absolve" him. It's for the Greater Good and to prevent your dynasty from being tainted.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 11:23:18 PM

You mentioned your achievements and his lack of them. Do you think he might wish to be out of your shadow?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 12:16:11 AM

Did you face any legal consequences?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:07:48 AM
What conservativepolitico said. Your parent's decision may be best. Keeping him in the situation will keep him in the victim role. It would be cool if he could just take a few months off school and you guys could spend a lot of time together, maybe hire a high priced call girl to pretend like he seduced her, and it will help his confidence a little. You just need to put him in some situations that are confidence boosters and a new environment may completely change his demeanor.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:27:11 AM
At 3/24/2015 12:16:11 AM, SamStevens wrote:

Did you face any legal consequences?

This kind of stuff never gets back to me.
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:28:16 AM
At 3/23/2015 10:54:06 PM, Absentia wrote:
Prehaps a trading places or you could toughen him up a bit?

Yeah... I don't wanna switch places with my brother.
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:29:43 AM
At 3/23/2015 10:57:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
You can't force change onto someone. If he wanted to change, toughen up, be more like you etc, he would have made an effort by now. Honestly, he has to sink or swim on his own.

Usually, I'd agree. But I see my brother's failures as my own failures as an Older sibling.
And since I despise failure of any sort, I'm more comfortable with pushing him until he fixes himself.
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:31:40 AM
At 3/24/2015 7:07:48 AM, Wylted wrote:
What conservativepolitico said. Your parent's decision may be best. Keeping him in the situation will keep him in the victim role. It would be cool if he could just take a few months off school and you guys could spend a lot of time together, maybe hire a high priced call girl to pretend like he seduced her, and it will help his confidence a little. You just need to put him in some situations that are confidence boosters and a new environment may completely change his demeanor.

Are you implying I hire an underage prostitute?
I have no idea where I'd get such and him finding out I hired someone would probably make things worse.
TUF, and YYW
Gustav_Adolf_II
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 9:36:23 AM

I remember being in a similar situation to your brother when I was in school. My older sister was a straight A student and successful in virtually every way while I was getting the crap beat out of me behind the school. My sister tried doing similar things you've been doing (helping me to better take care of myself) but I always rejected her help. Eventually she stopped trying to help me and started just hanging out with me, we spent a lot of time together just talking and doing fun sibling stuff. We didn't really talk about the problems I was having, just video games, pizza and other things. She never acted like she was better than me and every now and then asked for MY help with something. To me this was very surprising, "Why would my perfect sister need help from a loser like me?", it really boosted my self-esteem (which turned out to be one of the major problems I was having) and pretty much closed the gap between us that had grown since childhood. So my advice would just be to treat your brother nicely, treat him like an equal and to ask for his help once in a while even if you don't need it. In short, make your brother feel important and needed. It helped me so it should at least have some sort of positive effect on your brother. But whatever you do, DON'T BABY HIM! He will hate that, be more subtle or this plan could end disastrously.
"Quoting yourself only makes you look like an arrogant jerk" - Gustav_Adolf_II
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 9:50:00 AM
At 3/24/2015 7:31:40 AM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 3/24/2015 7:07:48 AM, Wylted wrote:

Are you implying I hire an underage prostitute?
I have no idea where I'd get such and him finding out I hired someone would probably make things worse.

How mad could you get? As long as he doesn't do something dumb like fall in love with her. I got to tell you, my brother is a huge pvssy and I practically raised him. People just are who they are. Not much you can do.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 10:14:52 AM
At 3/24/2015 7:29:43 AM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 3/23/2015 10:57:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Usually, I'd agree. But I see my brother's failures as my own failures as an Older sibling.
And since I despise failure of any sort, I'm more comfortable with pushing him until he fixes himself.

Way to be controlling m8.
GlimmerOfHope24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 10:25:54 AM

I agree with that.

You may think pushing your younger brother is helping him, but he'll grow dependant (if he isn't already) on your support, which may weaken him further.
There's a difference between a helping hand, and a smothering grip.

Perhaps you should try and lay off the forcefulness and rely more on advising and being a good role model. He'll follow you much better by choice, than by lack of choice.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 10:34:44 AM
Hmm... I'll attempt taking a step back force wise.
Here's hoping he helps himself.
TUF, and YYW
GlimmerOfHope24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 10:36:28 AM
At 3/24/2015 10:34:44 AM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
Hmm... I'll attempt taking a step back force wise.
Here's hoping he helps himself.

It doesn't mean abandoning him, however.
He should be aware that help if there for him when he needs it.

Hope the advice helped!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 5:33:24 PM

Beat the s**t out the guy who messed with him.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 12:45:05 PM
I actually found a little video that reminded me of my bother and I.
TUF, and YYW
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2015 5:08:14 PM

If you think he is hopeless, why bother helping?

Yama, if I am honest, your whole attitude towards the situation is problematic. Unwillingness to engage in physical violence, or preferring to play Xbox than to learn how to fight, doesn't make someone weak or hopeless or inferior. That they are different from you in ways you find worthy of derision does not mean that they are actually worthy of derision.

In other words, stop being a jerk about it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...