Jump to topic:

Why I don't debate much on DDO

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2015 10:57:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
People sometimes pester me to do a debate on here, so I thought I'd explain why.

Truth is, I'm spoiled. IRL debate is so much more fun. You have a partner to work strategy with, you have a judge to convince, and it strengthens your ability to come up with quick responses. And then there is the fun of cross examining your opponent, and using your words and presentation to persuade a judge.

Real life debate is stressful, but fun at the same time. Online debate is just plain stressful and doesn't have any of the aspects I really enjoy. So I keep my discussions informal and in forums or PMs.

I'm a people person. I love making connections. I feel energized if I connected with a judge and used persuasion to get them to vote for me. Online there's no clear audience to persuade and I can't read the voter's body language. When I debate, I want to forge a connection, and I simply can't do that online.

I have enough stress in my life, so why would I want to add to it?

There you have it: why I rarely formally debate here.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 7:39:50 AM
At 3/31/2015 10:57:29 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
People sometimes pester me to do a debate on here, so I thought I'd explain why.

Truth is, I'm spoiled. IRL debate is so much more fun. You have a partner to work strategy with, you have a judge to convince, and it strengthens your ability to come up with quick responses. And then there is the fun of cross examining your opponent, and using your words and presentation to persuade a judge.

Real life debate is stressful, but fun at the same time. Online debate is just plain stressful and doesn't have any of the aspects I really enjoy. So I keep my discussions informal and in forums or PMs.

I'm a people person. I love making connections. I feel energized if I connected with a judge and used persuasion to get them to vote for me. Online there's no clear audience to persuade and I can't read the voter's body language. When I debate, I want to forge a connection, and I simply can't do that online.

I think debating is too structured, i just like having an argument of beliefs in an unstructured format
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 9:24:51 AM
At 4/1/2015 7:39:50 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 3/31/2015 10:57:29 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I think debating is too structured, i just like having an argument of beliefs in an unstructured format

Same here. I also dislike the pressure and stress.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam