why do you hate God?

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 1:54:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/6/2015 1:51:18 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
Serious answers only. I can relate to that and want to talk.

Hating God is nonsensical. If God exists, he is the standard of what is right of wrong, so hating his will is a contradiction in terms. If God doesn't exist, he can't be hated.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 1:56:49 PM

I don't believe in him. If I did, I'd see no reason to hate him, if my life were complete crap, that is his business not mine.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 2:00:27 PM
At 4/6/2015 1:56:49 PM, Wylted wrote:

I don't believe in him. If I did, I'd see no reason to hate him, if my life were complete crap, that is his business not mine.

So you hate God cuz your life is crap?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 2:02:02 PM
At 4/6/2015 2:00:27 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 4/6/2015 1:56:49 PM, Wylted wrote:

So you hate God cuz your life is crap?

No, reread what I said. He doesn't exist, but if he did there would never be a good reason to hate him even if your life were crap
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 2:10:09 PM

I do not believe in your God. Thus it would be impossible for me to hate it.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 2:14:49 PM

Which god are you talking about? There are thousands of gods so take your pick. Also, I do not hate any god. I just do not believe in a god just like how I do not believe in the Kraken, Thor, or the Aztec Sun God.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 5:27:06 PM

I don't.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:29:51 PM

If you are asking atheists, it makes no sense. Now, if you believe in the God of the bible, there sure seem like a lot of reasons to hate him.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 7:47:24 PM
At 4/6/2015 1:54:58 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Hating God is nonsensical. If God exists, he is the standard of what is right of wrong, so hating his will is a contradiction in terms. If God doesn't exist, he can't be hated.

Bump
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:03:48 PM

Hating God is nonsensical. If God exists, he is the standard of what is right of wrong, so hating his will is a contradiction in terms.
You can still hate someone who is the standard of right and wrong. Many times people hate others specifically for this reason, because it makes them unrelatable as a being. I still see morality as subjective, even if God exists.
If God doesn't exist, he can't be hated.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:13:59 PM
At 4/6/2015 8:03:48 PM, Nac wrote:

Hating God is nonsensical. If God exists, he is the standard of what is right of wrong, so hating his will is a contradiction in terms.
You can still hate someone who is the standard of right and wrong. Many times people hate others specifically for this reason, because it makes them unrelatable as a being. I still see morality as subjective, even if God exists.
You would just be flat-out wrong, though... I said that it was nonsensical, not impossible.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:14:39 PM

I don't believe that God exists, which is irrelevant to hatred.

However, I do actually hate the idea of a Christian God.

The problem of evil and the existence of hell make him morally repugnant in my eyes. I can't love someone who would force me to follow his commandments or he will torture me eternally. It is worse than being held at gun point.

Even when I was a theist, I could more accurately be described as a misotheist, because I saw him as terrible the second I thought about the concepts above.

I would like to continue this discussion, but only if it is understood that the hatred of the idea of a Christian God which I have is irrelevant to my atheism.

Also note that my hatred comes from my subjective feelings.
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:17:57 PM
At 4/6/2015 8:13:59 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

You would just be flat-out wrong, though... I said that it was nonsensical, not impossible.
You stated it would be a contradiction in terms, which does imply impossibility. As well, you can dislike the standard God established if you find it imperfect.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 8:25:38 PM
At 4/6/2015 8:17:57 PM, Nac wrote:
At 4/6/2015 8:13:59 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

You stated it would be a contradiction in terms, which does imply impossibility.
My bad. I mean that it's impossible to rationally hate his will, at least.
As well, you can dislike the standard God established if you find it imperfect.
His standard is, by definition, perfect if he is a perfect being. You would have no basis for that dislike.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
illegalcombatant2.0
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 9:24:31 PM

I hate the God I find in some peoples minds.

The God who will flood the entire earth including babies then get into a rage if just one woman has an abortion. The f*cking irony.

A God who sends natural disasters if two people of the same sex marry or touch each others junk but looks the other way over slavery, tyranny, oppression, social/economic injustice.

A God who just so happens to agree with policy that results in the protection of USA power and interests. Eg nukeing japan, Vietnam, iraq..............protecting Saudi Arabi.

A God who will heal that sore knee yet won't heal one single amputee.

A God who apparently blesses people with sporting ability allowing them to make that last second shot to win the game yet doesn't use that same divine power to ensure a clean water and food supply & shelter in abundance for everyone

A God who just happens to exist and is real and the other guys God is not, yet the God you believe just happens to be real and just so happens to be the one you were taught by your fellow humans to believe in......................what a coincidence.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 11:16:19 AM
I hate the God I find in some peoples minds.

The God who will flood the entire earth including babies then get into a rage if just one woman has an abortion. The f*cking irony.

A God who sends natural disasters if two people of the same sex marry or touch each others junk but looks the other way over slavery, tyranny, oppression, social/economic injustice.

A God who just so happens to agree with policy that results in the protection of USA power and interests. Eg nukeing japan, Vietnam, iraq..............protecting Saudi Arabi.

A God who will heal that sore knee yet won't heal one single amputee.

A God who apparently blesses people with sporting ability allowing them to make that last second shot to win the game yet doesn't use that same divine power to ensure a clean water and food supply & shelter in abundance for everyone

A God who just happens to exist and is real and the other guys God is not, yet the God you believe just happens to be real and just so happens to be the one you were taught by your fellow humans to believe in......................what a coincidence.

I understand you on that. I've struggled with the problem of evil and honestly i was extremely angry at God because he didn't adhere to my standards of justice. I was angry for the very same reasons. I blamed him for all the problems of the world such as genocides, murders, suicide, hunger, etc.
Dhruva
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 11:18:38 AM

Atheists don't hate god because they don't believe in him. Its god's fan club atheists sometimes don't like
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 8:00:08 PM
At 4/6/2015 8:25:38 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
My bad. I mean that it's impossible to rationally hate his will, at least.
It's fine.
His standard is, by definition, perfect if he is a perfect being. You would have no basis for that dislike.
It is exceptionally hard to find a normative ethical position. I would still see morality as subjective, even if God exists. I personally view morality as being solely based on individual preferences, feelings, and biases. As such, any broad claim for a code of morality needs substantial evidence, since it is the more substantial claim.

This would also provide a myriad of contradictions. The problem of evil, the genocide of the flood, the allowance of the serpent, and the existence of Hell are all difficult to reconcile if God exists and did all the Bible says he did, meaning that, if we acknowledge him as perfect, we have to create a moral standard which, as stated above, I do not believe can exist in a normative sense
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 12:35:30 AM

I see this argument a lot, and it makes no sense. I can hate Joffrey, Bella, etc, and they're fictional.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 6:19:06 AM
At 4/6/2015 8:14:39 PM, Nac wrote:

The problem of evil and the existence of hell make him morally repugnant in my eyes. I can't love someone who would force me to follow his commandments or he will torture me eternally. It is worse than being held at gun point.

Even when I was a theist, I could more accurately be described as a misotheist, because I saw him as terrible the second I thought about the concepts above.

I would like to continue this discussion, but only if it is understood that the hatred of the idea of a Christian God which I have is irrelevant to my atheism.

Ugh this is such a misrepresentation of Christianity and the idea of "hell". The church did itself one of the biggest diservices in history by pushing this image of hell. You're not eternally tortured. God has offered us a way out of our sins and sufferings. You either accept or you don't. If you don't accept you're left with the darkness and are left apart from God. That's it. God doesn't do anything to you, you do it all to yourself by ignoring Him.
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 6:32:02 AM
At 4/8/2015 6:19:06 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Ugh this is such a misrepresentation of Christianity and the idea of "hell". The church did itself one of the biggest diservices in history by pushing this image of hell. You're not eternally tortured.

Could you please state what does happen in hell, if this is not the case?

God has offered us a way out of our sins and sufferings. You either accept or you don't. If you don't accept you're left with the darkness and are left apart from God. That's it. God doesn't do anything to you, you do it all to yourself by ignoring Him.

I do realize that, in the Bible, God gives us the ability to remove ourselves from this predicament. However, why are we in this predicament in the first place? Whenever I look at the story, I could never attribute it to anyone but God. If you would like to understand my reasoning, please reply. I would be happy to support my claim, but this is all I can post at the moment.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 6:42:29 AM
At 4/8/2015 6:32:02 AM, Nac wrote:
At 4/8/2015 6:19:06 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Ugh this is such a misrepresentation of Christianity and the idea of "hell". The church did itself one of the biggest diservices in history by pushing this image of hell. You're not eternally tortured.

Could you please state what does happen in hell, if this is not the case?

God has offered us a way out of our sins and sufferings. You either accept or you don't. If you don't accept you're left with the darkness and are left apart from God. That's it. God doesn't do anything to you, you do it all to yourself by ignoring Him.

I do realize that, in the Bible, God gives us the ability to remove ourselves from this predicament. However, why are we in this predicament in the first place? Whenever I look at the story, I could never attribute it to anyone but God. If you would like to understand my reasoning, please reply. I would be happy to support my claim, but this is all I can post at the moment.

You're simply excluded. You didn't take the invitation. You're left in darkness.

We're in this predicament because of free will simply.
But that's besides the point. Christianity comes down to the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. If it happened well then Christianity is true and you have to come to grips with it if not then it doesn't matter either way.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 9:16:54 AM
At 4/8/2015 8:56:09 AM, Wylted wrote:
I hate God because he is a Jew. There I said it.

Do you hate Max because he's a Jew?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 2:48:35 PM
At 4/8/2015 9:16:54 AM, RevNge wrote:
At 4/8/2015 8:56:09 AM, Wylted wrote:
I hate God because he is a Jew. There I said it.

Do you hate Max because he's a Jew?

No comment. Let's just say I have a big respect for the United States government and by extension a huge respect for the CIA's front groups (AKA Juggle).
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 8:09:30 PM
At 4/8/2015 6:42:29 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
You're simply excluded. You didn't take the invitation. You're left in darkness.

I will take this as you wishing to understand my reasoning. I am familiar with the Free Will Defense, and it does offer an escape from the Problem of Evil. However, where did sin originate?

If we were in a relationship with God, and God created all that was good, and Satan was required to tempt us, I do not see how the claim that it came from us is formed. This leads me to assert that it came from Satan in the story. So for what reason was the serpent able to tempt us? If God could stop the serpent, why did he not do so? Is free will in any way defined by needing obstacles?

This is not my final reason, but I do not want to assume you will act according to my guess.
But that's besides the point. Christianity comes down to the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. If it happened well then Christianity is true and you have to come to grips with it if not then it doesn't matter either way.
I still believe morality is subjective. Therefore, though I do realize if your case is true then I must accept that he holds authority, that merely makes him a malevolent dictator in my mind.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:44:54 AM
At 4/8/2015 8:09:30 PM, Nac wrote:
At 4/8/2015 6:42:29 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I will take this as you wishing to understand my reasoning. I am familiar with the Free Will Defense, and it does offer an escape from the Problem of Evil. However, where did sin originate?

If we were in a relationship with God, and God created all that was good, and Satan was required to tempt us, I do not see how the claim that it came from us is formed. This leads me to assert that it came from Satan in the story. So for what reason was the serpent able to tempt us? If God could stop the serpent, why did he not do so? Is free will in any way defined by needing obstacles?

This is not my final reason, but I do not want to assume you will act according to my guess.
I still believe morality is subjective. Therefore, though I do realize if your case is true then I must accept that he holds authority, that merely makes him a malevolent dictator in my mind.

In order to truly have free will you must have a choice. If you have a "will" but only one choice at the soda machine you don't really have any will at all. Satan represents that second choice. God probably could have stopped Satan's temptations but in all honesty it didn't come from Satan. Satan tempts but God never let's us be tempted beyond what we can handle. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 11:15:59 AM

This assumes a particular interpretation of God.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...