Jump to topic:

Your views on interfaith marriage?

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 4:34:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think it's not a sin, but it's not wise to do. In the past, i've been open to the idea of trying out people of different faiths. I've impressed a foreign Jewish girl with my knowledge of ancient Hebrew and Judaism so it probably could work out maybe? I own a copy of the Koran and i'm willing to learn more about Islam. Honestly i have no probs having a Jewish or Muslim wife preferably cuz we're monotheistic and we can relate. I realized that these types of relationships rarely work as God himself isn't bonding us together.

What about your thoughts? You don't need to be Christian to join.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 10:18:37 PM
At 4/8/2015 4:34:27 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
I think it's not a sin, but it's not wise to do. In the past, i've been open to the idea of trying out people of different faiths. I've impressed a foreign Jewish girl with my knowledge of ancient Hebrew and Judaism so it probably could work out maybe? I own a copy of the Koran and i'm willing to learn more about Islam. Honestly i have no probs having a Jewish or Muslim wife preferably cuz we're monotheistic and we can relate. I realized that these types of relationships rarely work as God himself isn't bonding us together.

What if she believed in faeries and that fantasizing about a better life will make it come true? What are your limits in terms of what a potential partner could believe before they just seem too far out there for you?
AidanRies
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 11:38:35 PM
To my knowledge, if you are religous, there's nothing in the bible that prohibits interfaith marriage, and although it may be difficult at times, it should be no more difficult than if you had different political views. If you truly love the girl than it shouldn't matter, and I would say go for it.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 11:43:36 PM
Differences in spiritual beliefs is a leading cause of relationship issues. It's something I avoid.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Gustav_Adolf_II
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:44:58 AM
I think that an interfaith marriage can work out so long as neither party is very religious, otherwise religious differences would cause deep rifts in the relationship. The only way I could see an exception to this is a devout Sikh (Sikhism believes that all religions can lead to some sort of enlightenment) and a devout Buddhist (Buddhists are usually fine with other religions).
"Quoting yourself only makes you look like an arrogant jerk" - Gustav_Adolf_II
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:20:45 AM
I'm okay with every type of interfaith marriage except Catholic-Protestant. I mean, come on guys. Some differences just can't be let go
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 12:19:59 PM
At 4/9/2015 10:20:45 AM, thett3 wrote:
I'm okay with every type of interfaith marriage except Catholic-Protestant. I mean, come on guys. Some differences just can't be let go

Lol than and a Sunni Shiite marriage
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 12:20:19 PM
At 4/9/2015 12:19:59 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Lol that and a Sunni Shiite marriage

Fixd
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 12:56:15 PM
"Your views on interfaith marriage?" None of my business and don't force your business on me.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 7:48:46 AM
At 4/8/2015 11:43:36 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Differences in spiritual beliefs is a leading cause of relationship issues. It's something I avoid.

It's such a fundamental difference in worldview... You're basically disagreeing about the fundamental nature of reality. It's hard to see how that wouldn't just cause conflict.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Nivek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 2:45:13 AM
My old partner was a Christian. I don't see a reason not to. Conflict isn't necessarily negative the same way death isn't necessarily bad. I'd say just stop thinking too much and go with it and have fun.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:07:52 PM
At 4/8/2015 10:18:37 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

What if she believed in faeries and that fantasizing about a better life will make it come true? What are your limits in terms of what a potential partner could believe before they just seem too far out there for you?

lol i say when those beliefs start to take control of her life like believing that drinking an animal's blood brings health benefits or other superstitions. Maybe something like Scientology lol.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:08:55 PM

fair enough but i'd think avoidance leads to trouble later since your supposed to come to an agreement to disagree, don't ya think?
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:10:36 PM
At 4/9/2015 9:44:58 AM, Gustav_Adolf_II wrote:
I think that an interfaith marriage can work out so long as neither party is very religious, otherwise religious differences would cause deep rifts in the relationship. The only way I could see an exception to this is a devout Sikh (Sikhism believes that all religions can lead to some sort of enlightenment) and a devout Buddhist (Buddhists are usually fine with other religions).

I'm very religious lol and do not believe all religions are the same. I used to but not anymore.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:11:15 PM

I think they can lol. I mean i used to like a catholic girl in the past who didn't seem to be that religious.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:11:44 PM
At 4/9/2015 12:56:15 PM, sadolite wrote:
"Your views on interfaith marriage?" None of my business and don't force your business on me.

Pretty straightforward lol. Same here.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:12:45 PM
At 4/10/2015 7:48:46 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

It's such a fundamental difference in worldview... You're basically disagreeing about the fundamental nature of reality. It's hard to see how that wouldn't just cause conflict.

Very good point but some religions don't believe in absolutes like Hinduism. As long as there is a mutual understanding and acceptance then it could work.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:13:45 PM
At 4/13/2015 2:45:13 AM, Nivek wrote:
My old partner was a Christian. I don't see a reason not to. Conflict isn't necessarily negative the same way death isn't necessarily bad. I'd say just stop thinking too much and go with it and have fun.

lol true. Just because you have a conflict with someone's religious beliefs doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It's simply a sign that the relationship is growing.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:29:59 PM
At 4/14/2015 12:12:45 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 4/10/2015 7:48:46 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Very good point but some religions don't believe in absolutes like Hinduism. As long as there is a mutual understanding and acceptance then it could work.

DIsbelief in absolutes is absolute. It's just as much of a point of disagreement as anything else.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:54:08 PM
At 4/14/2015 12:07:52 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

lol i say when those beliefs start to take control of her life like believing that drinking an animal's blood brings health benefits or other superstitions. Maybe something like Scientology lol.

Beliefs affect actions in general. If you're with someone who believes that fantasizing about a better life will make it come true, guess what, they're probably not going to put in as much work to improve your shared life.

Personally, I don't see scientology as significantly more crazy than any other cult or religion. So I'd be very unlikely to consider anyone with religious beliefs.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:58:43 PM
At 4/14/2015 12:54:08 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Beliefs affect actions in general. If you're with someone who believes that fantasizing about a better life will make it come true, guess what, they're probably not going to put in as much work to improve your shared life.

Personally, I don't see scientology as significantly more crazy than any other cult or religion. So I'd be very unlikely to consider anyone with religious beliefs.

Honestly there are some religions that are a complete no no like Satanism. I can never marry someone who is fully opposed to my religion. You have a very great point, beliefs must be put into action but i'm sure some religious people like Muslims can do that since our belief systems are somewhat compatible.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 1:03:12 PM
At 4/14/2015 12:58:43 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Honestly there are some religions that are a complete no no like Satanism. I can never marry someone who is fully opposed to my religion. You have a very great point, beliefs must be put into action but i'm sure some religious people like Muslims can do that since our belief systems are somewhat compatible.

I can't even understand why someone would adopt a belief system. What happened to caring about what is true?
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 1:07:20 PM
At 4/14/2015 1:03:12 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

I can't even understand why someone would adopt a belief system. What happened to caring about what is true?

Truth is a relative concept in my view. Everyone has their own views on what is true and what isn't. I care about finding the Truth but i converted to Christianity and adopted God's Truth. Truth can be approached in many different ways.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 1:10:44 PM
At 4/14/2015 1:07:20 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Truth is a relative concept in my view. Everyone has their own views on what is true and what isn't. I care about finding the Truth but i converted to Christianity and adopted God's Truth. Truth can be approached in many different ways.

Well, I completely disagree with you that truth is subjective. You don't get your own personal truth about things we know factually, e.g., Earth orbits the sun, and not the other way around.

What I hear when you say what you just said, is that for things aren't currently known, you want to make up your own subjective reality and call that truth. That's exactly my point. What happened to caring about truth, as in the truth about reality? Your's appears to be the kind of attitude that doesn't care what is actually true, only what you want to be true. It's completely antithetical to science.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 1:16:32 PM
At 4/14/2015 1:10:44 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Well, I completely disagree with you that truth is subjective. You don't get your own personal truth about things we know factually, e.g., Earth orbits the sun, and not the other way around.

What I hear when you say what you just said, is that for things aren't currently known, you want to make up your own subjective reality and call that truth. That's exactly my point. What happened to caring about truth, as in the truth about reality? Your's appears to be the kind of attitude that doesn't care what is actually true, only what you want to be true. It's completely antithetical to science.

I don't think scientists would call that Truth and if they did, it's only the truth of nature not of metaphysics or the supernatural.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 6:08:49 PM
At 4/14/2015 1:16:32 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 4/14/2015 1:10:44 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

I don't think scientists would call that Truth and if they did, it's only the truth of nature not of metaphysics or the supernatural.

Science doesn't have "Truth" with a capital T, because "Truth" is made up in a feeble attempt to cover up the fact that what someone is saying or proposing isn't even true with a lower-case t.