Jump to topic:

Physical and psychological barriers

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 12:16:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Everyone has to overcome something every day to keep living life to the fullest. But that means our accomplishments mean more because we overcame more.

What's your largest barrier?

Mine is type one diabetes.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 12:26:21 AM
At 4/10/2015 12:16:45 AM, mishapqueen wrote:
Everyone has to overcome something every day to keep living life to the fullest. But that means our accomplishments mean more because we overcame more.

Self doubts and anger. Recently I've been destructive with the technological devices I have (I destroyed my phone and smashed my tablet with a baseball bat) and I'm worried I can't control my anger.
Ashton
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 12:27:17 AM
At 4/10/2015 12:26:21 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:

Self doubts and anger. Recently I've been destructive with the technological devices I have (I destroyed my phone and smashed my tablet with a baseball bat) and I'm worried I can't control my anger.

Anger can be a scary thing. Are you seeking help?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 12:28:42 AM
At 4/10/2015 12:27:17 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

Yeah, my type of anger isn't words and it's usually not directed at other people, it's more centered towards me and the property I have.
Ashton
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 12:31:38 AM
At 4/10/2015 12:28:42 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:

Yeah, my type of anger isn't words and it's usually not directed at other people, it's more centered towards me and the property I have.

That's interesting. How long have you struggled with this?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 12:33:03 AM
At 4/10/2015 12:31:38 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

I started high school this year and it began around the middle of the year.
Ashton
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 12:35:38 AM
At 4/10/2015 12:33:03 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
At 4/10/2015 12:31:38 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

I started high school this year and it began around the middle of the year.
I'm sorry you're dealing with that and I'll definitely pray for you.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 1:32:27 AM

The human condition, I would have to say that is my biggest problem.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 1:50:16 AM

My psychological barrier is social anxiety.

Example: My chemistry class went on a field trip to Stepan Co(https://c1.staticflickr.com...). Inside the building, a tour guide brought the group to different areas. One of them was a room full of chemicals and machinery. The employees who worked in that area informed us about the machines and what they did. One of the machines was in a relatively small space for a group of people. As the group arranges itself around the machine, I find myself standing in the centre with the instructor 2-2.5 ft away and people standing on either side of me. I struggle to maintain eye contact with the presenter and become nervous. I remain motionless from the neck down besides small twitches in my hands and feet. Others pick up on my nervousness, and I notice a girl in my group staring at me. Another 30-45 seconds go by and the group is dismissed. On the way out, I tripped on an object and bumped into a pole loosely attached to the wall which resulted in a loud noise. Others commented on this.

I rarely overcome my social anxiety.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 1:51:29 AM

Apathy. Physical weaknesses that can't be changed shouldn't be worried about. When your very will is attacked, though, nothing else can survive. Apathy is the root cause of all evil.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 9:14:46 AM
At 4/10/2015 1:51:29 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Apathy. Physical weaknesses that can't be changed shouldn't be worried about. When your very will is attacked, though, nothing else can survive. Apathy is the root cause of all evil.
I agree. :)

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 9:15:45 AM
At 4/10/2015 1:50:16 AM, SamStevens wrote:

My psychological barrier is social anxiety.

Example: My chemistry class went on a field trip to Stepan Co(https://c1.staticflickr.com...). Inside the building, a tour guide brought the group to different areas. One of them was a room full of chemicals and machinery. The employees who worked in that area informed us about the machines and what they did. One of the machines was in a relatively small space for a group of people. As the group arranges itself around the machine, I find myself standing in the centre with the instructor 2-2.5 ft away and people standing on either side of me. I struggle to maintain eye contact with the presenter and become nervous. I remain motionless from the neck down besides small twitches in my hands and feet. Others pick up on my nervousness, and I notice a girl in my group staring at me. Another 30-45 seconds go by and the group is dismissed. On the way out, I tripped on an object and bumped into a pole loosely attached to the wall which resulted in a loud noise. Others commented on this.

I rarely overcome my social anxiety.

That sounds really hard. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 9:56:55 PM

I have a pretty severe speech impediment which I've managed to just about overcome with a lot of therapy and practice. When I was in high school I would 'block' and just seize up, completely unable to say anything. I've since become much better, but it still surfaces from time to time, mostly when I answer a phone.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 11:24:39 PM
At 4/10/2015 9:56:55 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I have a pretty severe speech impediment which I've managed to just about overcome with a lot of therapy and practice. When I was in high school I would 'block' and just seize up, completely unable to say anything. I've since become much better, but it still surfaces from time to time, mostly when I answer a phone.

That's rough. I'm glad you have mostly overcome it. :)

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
DarthKirones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 11:53:35 PM
It can be very difficult to get up every day, as I know that after school comes university, then job, then retirement and then death. I know that life is unpredictable, who knows? Maybe I'll win the lottery, and never have to work, but that is how it is for most people. Just the same thing over and over, and then I would finally get a chance to live, but at that point, I'll be a fraction of what I used to be. I won't be the same person that I was right now, I won't have the same opportunities as before. It hurts to know that, making life more difficult. Cynicism isn't a diagnosable thing, but it is a barrier.

I dunno, maybe I am just going through a teenager phase.
"I am not religious. I am a genius. I have the Universe in my hands."
-Aerogant

"Of course a jewish baby cannibalizing a jewish mommy is fine"
-Heil being retarded

"Eradicating the baby scourge from our midsts is most certainly fun. And I am proud to be your hero. Babies tremble then they hear my name.. Airmax, the hero of baby annihilation."
-Airmax
Nivek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 2:41:26 AM
Your university delaying the hell out of your admission decisions. That's the worst thing i've ever encountered. "2 months" and all I receive is a "waitlisted" notice.