Jump to topic:

Okay, I need to vent

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 6:31:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Group projects are the bane of my existence.

It's bad enough that I need to take this dumb marketing class as an econ major with this self-aggrandizing arshole who readily admits to not being an academic -- though whether he'd concede to his subpar intellect or emotional need to overcompensate for his stupidity is another issue entirely. This is, clearly, not what I have any interest in pursuing, nor do I think that marketing and management will have any bearing on whether I'll be an effective economist.

But it just gets worse when I have *the worst team imaginable.* The extent to which I genuinely resent over half of my team -- people either (a) don't care or (b) are too egregiously stupid so as to comprehend the ramifications of their actions -- astounds even me. Granted, I'm not asking for a group of Einsteins. I understand that most people who take these are in fact in over their heads and need to actually commit a significant amount of time and effort in order to succeed. But combine a lack of any work ethic with a sub-90 IQ, and you get these wonderful teammates of mine.

Then, there are even a few different types of teammates; I haven't decided which I hate more. First there's the argumentative arshole who contributes nothing at all to the finished project, in spite of having his laptop open through the duration of the meeting and being sure to interject at the most random times with the most useless suggestions and critiques imaginable. Every "suggestion" is worse than the last, and just when I think he can't go full retard, he surprise me every time. I always have to stop what I'm doing and, calmly, explain to him in the simplest terms so that he'll understand just how wrong he is -- God forbid I raise my voice or tell him what I really think of him and his "contributions," though I will readily admit that I was on the verge of doing so yesterday. It's easy to criticize when you (a) don't know anything; (b) don't understand anything; (c) don't care about the outcome; and (d) haven't done anything. Of course, why would I want him to do anything, anyway?

Then there's the sheep in the group. At first, he seems okay: he defers, and generally does what is asked of him. Whether he does it well is questionable, but at least you can depend on him, right?

Wrong. Give him the slightest bit of discretion -- e.g., "X, Y, and Z need to get done, so pick something" -- and he croaks. He'll derail the entire operating apparatus with his absurd schedule and inability to prioritize -- though it's not as though his presence at all materially enhances the efficacy of the team toward our objective -- and contribute next to nothing, and then dare to complain when others don't do the work for you. Why? Because "you have an interview" and can't be bothered, so it's my fault that you morons met for three f1cking hours last night and accomplished zilch. Yesterday, this man literally made me sign off -- and actually write -- every single sentence for him, even though I had (a) already walked him through what he needed to say and (b) was, clearly, busy with my own contribution.

Then there's the ditz who is oblivious to what is actually happening, doesn't have an opinion on anything, and is constitutionally incapable of devising a creative idea or an insightful piece even if the Word Fairy sprinkled fairy dust upon her.

Finally, there's the stoner. He's generally a good guy, actually, and if he actually cared enough and applied himself, he can actually produce -- and I say that from personal experience. But his work ethic, generally, is nonexistent, and he'll come up with the most inane excuses I have every scene to evade his obligations, including but not limited to "my dog got sprayed by a skunk, so it looks like I won't be able to attend today's meeting!"

Oh, yes, make me change my entire schedule to accommodate you because *you* are "too hammered to work on Friday or Saturday" -- and, mind you, I live almost an hour from my campus, so meeting on weekends is genuinely hard for me, though I do it -- only to poop out at the last minute.

Come to find out this morning that they met last night, and accomplished absolutely nothing. We have an entire four-page financial plan due today -- and now I need to stop writing out this rant in order to go write it, because these morons didn't even start it. I bet they didn't know it even existed, and were waiting for one of us to spell it out for them. Maybe the Business-Plan fairies will ascend upon us and write it for us.

tl;dr: I'm p1ssed, and my day has already been completely torn to shreds because of the ineptitude of my teammates. I tried quite literally everything with them, but at this point I'm done -- and have no other choice but to do the work for them.

Bleh....I guess I feel slightly better now, though.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 6:38:27 AM
At 4/15/2015 6:31:50 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

I know those feels.

One of my favorite parts of being a hard science major is the huge emphasis on individual work. I knew that every time I took a required course outside my major, it would eventually lead to 'teamwork', which I've found translates to me doing three other people's work for them while they all bitch at me.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 6:39:20 AM
At 4/15/2015 6:38:27 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I know those feels.

One of my favorite parts of being a hard science major is the huge emphasis on individual work. I knew that every time I took a required course outside my major, it would eventually lead to 'teamwork', which I've found translates to me doing three other people's work for them while they all bitch at me.

Doesn't that entail group lab work, though? That itself is a giant can of worms...oh the horror stories I have from that...

DDO's Economics Messiah
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 6:44:56 AM
At 4/15/2015 6:39:20 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 4/15/2015 6:38:27 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I know those feels.

Doesn't that entail group lab work, though? That itself is a giant can of worms...oh the horror stories I have from that...

In chem labs I had a partner/partner(s), and that could get a bit annoying because some times we all had to hand in one report. In comp anat lab I had partners who participated in dissection, but there was no project to turn in, just a test to pass. Genetics lab involved one project which was a nightmare. We had to keep plants alive, and I was with zoology and microbiology specs, so that meant that the botanist had to hike down to the greenhouse every day. Because, you know, it takes training in botany to pour water into a fvcking pot. Pretty much all of my other lab and research classes involved purely individual work, including my undergrad thesis.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 6:50:37 AM
oh the horror stories I have from that...

Do share, lol.
- Hilaire Belloc -
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 6:57:51 AM
At 4/15/2015 6:50:37 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
oh the horror stories I have from that...

Do share, lol.

Haha, I totally will -- though as soon as I survive through this current horror story...lol

DDO's Economics Messiah
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 8:24:30 AM

It's bad enough that I need to take this dumb marketing class as an econ major with this self-aggrandizing arshole who readily admits to not being an academic -- though whether he'd concede to his subpar intellect or emotional need to overcompensate for his stupidity is another issue entirely. This is, clearly, not what I have any interest in pursuing, nor do I think that marketing and management will have any bearing on whether I'll be an effective economist.

But it just gets worse when I have *the worst team imaginable.* The extent to which I genuinely resent over half of my team -- people either (a) don't care or (b) are too egregiously stupid so as to comprehend the ramifications of their actions -- astounds even me. Granted, I'm not asking for a group of Einsteins. I understand that most people who take these are in fact in over their heads and need to actually commit a significant amount of time and effort in order to succeed. But combine a lack of any work ethic with a sub-90 IQ, and you get these wonderful teammates of mine.

Then, there are even a few different types of teammates; I haven't decided which I hate more. First there's the argumentative arshole who contributes nothing at all to the finished project, in spite of having his laptop open through the duration of the meeting and being sure to interject at the most random times with the most useless suggestions and critiques imaginable. Every "suggestion" is worse than the last, and just when I think he can't go full retard, he surprise me every time. I always have to stop what I'm doing and, calmly, explain to him in the simplest terms so that he'll understand just how wrong he is -- God forbid I raise my voice or tell him what I really think of him and his "contributions," though I will readily admit that I was on the verge of doing so yesterday. It's easy to criticize when you (a) don't know anything; (b) don't understand anything; (c) don't care about the outcome; and (d) haven't done anything. Of course, why would I want him to do anything, anyway?

Then there's the sheep in the group. At first, he seems okay: he defers, and generally does what is asked of him. Whether he does it well is questionable, but at least you can depend on him, right?

Wrong. Give him the slightest bit of discretion -- e.g., "X, Y, and Z need to get done, so pick something" -- and he croaks. He'll derail the entire operating apparatus with his absurd schedule and inability to prioritize -- though it's not as though his presence at all materially enhances the efficacy of the team toward our objective -- and contribute next to nothing, and then dare to complain when others don't do the work for you. Why? Because "you have an interview" and can't be bothered, so it's my fault that you morons met for three f1cking hours last night and accomplished zilch. Yesterday, this man literally made me sign off -- and actually write -- every single sentence for him, even though I had (a) already walked him through what he needed to say and (b) was, clearly, busy with my own contribution.

Then there's the ditz who is oblivious to what is actually happening, doesn't have an opinion on anything, and is constitutionally incapable of devising a creative idea or an insightful piece even if the Word Fairy sprinkled fairy dust upon her.

Finally, there's the stoner. He's generally a good guy, actually, and if he actually cared enough and applied himself, he can actually produce -- and I say that from personal experience. But his work ethic, generally, is nonexistent, and he'll come up with the most inane excuses I have every scene to evade his obligations, including but not limited to "my dog got sprayed by a skunk, so it looks like I won't be able to attend today's meeting!"

Oh, yes, make me change my entire schedule to accommodate you because *you* are "too hammered to work on Friday or Saturday" -- and, mind you, I live almost an hour from my campus, so meeting on weekends is genuinely hard for me, though I do it -- only to poop out at the last minute.

Come to find out this morning that they met last night, and accomplished absolutely nothing. We have an entire four-page financial plan due today -- and now I need to stop writing out this rant in order to go write it, because these morons didn't even start it. I bet they didn't know it even existed, and were waiting for one of us to spell it out for them. Maybe the Business-Plan fairies will ascend upon us and write it for us.

tl;dr: I'm p1ssed, and my day has already been completely torn to shreds because of the ineptitude of my teammates. I tried quite literally everything with them, but at this point I'm done -- and have no other choice but to do the work for them.

I'm glad you've got that off of your chest-- group projects are horrible.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 9:08:57 AM

lol you were talking about this on hangouts?
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 9:11:55 AM
Don't let them inferior bottom-feeders get to you m8

If they do, print money at them.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 9:48:09 AM
Just as an update: we're making progress! Another of my team mates -- who wasn't mentioned amongst the detestable -- blew off his morning classes with me and is helping me piece this sh1t together.

Will keep you all posted! :P

DDO's Economics Messiah
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 10:26:22 AM
At 4/15/2015 9:48:09 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
Just as an update: we're making progress! Another of my team mates -- who wasn't mentioned amongst the detestable -- blew off his morning classes with me and is helping me piece this sh1t together.

Will keep you all posted! :P

I hope I don't run into this kind of situation in university! Does it happen just this time, or on every project? (I'm guessing it's the latter, since you said they're the bane of your existence...)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 11:37:01 AM

Just know that you're not like them at all. All of your hard work and credit will pay off, for you are the only one who ever accomplished anything, im sure it will be acknowledged.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 4:02:28 PM
Lol mandatory marketing class...the bane of serious college students everywhere. The sad thing is that marketing is an extremely important component of business and they could make the class cool and interesting and important, but instead it just sucks.

And yeah, group projects are a nightmare. It's amazing how stupid 95% of people are, even at top colleges
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 4:17:32 PM

You ought to tell your teacher pr instructor about this issue.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 4:18:08 PM
At 4/15/2015 4:17:32 PM, SamStevens wrote:

You ought to tell your teacher pr* instructor about this issue.

Grammatical error: 'pr' should be replaced with 'or'.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 4:19:30 PM

Unfortunately the class isn't structured like that -- though, trust me, I would have if I could. They place a premium on "teammwork" -- which is to say that any problems with my team that persist are a function of me not being able to "motivate them."

They have a point, I suppose....though I do think it can be overly simplistic, and I shouldn't need to devote more effort to motivating my deadbeat team mates than I do to actually finishing our stupidly complex and overly demanding assignment.

DDO's Economics Messiah
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 4:28:44 PM
At 4/15/2015 4:19:30 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Unfortunately the class isn't structured like that -- though, trust me, I would have if I could. They place a premium on "teammwork" -- which is to say that any problems with my team that persist are a function of me not being able to "motivate them."

They have a point, I suppose....though I do think it can be overly simplistic, and I shouldn't need to devote more effort to motivating my deadbeat team mates than I do to actually finishing our stupidly complex and overly demanding assignment.

That's pretty crummy how you can't report this to the instructor. After the project is completed, you should 'roast' your team mates with insults that highlight their mental incompetence.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 4:30:53 PM
You don't like carrying everyone's weight, but you're a democrat that expects the wealthy to carry everyone's weight. Interesting.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 4:36:19 PM
At 4/15/2015 4:28:44 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 4/15/2015 4:19:30 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

That's pretty crummy how you can't report this to the instructor. After the project is completed, you should 'roast' your team mates with insults that highlight their mental incompetence.

I thought of that, actually. I'm hesitant, though. My mom used to say -- yes, I am seriously citing my mother -- "Don't ever burn your bridges." I think there's a lot of wisdom in that.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 4:40:26 PM
At 4/15/2015 4:30:53 PM, Wylted wrote:
You don't like carrying everyone's weight, but you're a democrat that expects the wealthy to carry everyone's weight. Interesting.

*Notes that his profile lists him as "conservative" and "center-right"*

I don't think that's a fair characterization of "Democrats," though. There could be some dummies who have an emotional penchant for "sticking it to the rich" -- but most are genuine in saying something to the effect of, "Capitalism is cool, and if you've been successful, good for you, but let's make sure that the odds are slanted in your favor." I'm sympathetic to that argument, in fact, irrespective of my failure to identify as a Democrat.

DDO's Economics Messiah
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 7:04:13 PM
Group projects are a mirror of socialism. One guy does all the work while the rest sit around bitching and complaining all the while reaping the benefits of
his toils.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2015 11:06:49 AM
Bumping this because it's relevant for the next 14 hours or so.

If there's a God and I'm guilty of ever sinning, I assure all of you that this semester I've atoned for every sin I've ever committed, am presently committing, and will commit -- and then some.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2015 11:14:29 AM
Ah, exhibit A.

Me: "Let's meet at 9 a.m."

[Clock: 9:12.]

Dumbars teammates: "I'm almost to campus."

Rest of teammates: *silence*, probably still in bed. Not much of a difference, and this probably captures (a) the inner-workings of their minds (i.e., nothing) and (b) their eventual contributions.

Oh, yes, because 9 a.m., qualified by "I have to leave at 11 for a mandatory off-campus" totally means, "Take your sweet time, no one intended to meet AT 9 a.m., anyway."

Sigh...

DDO's Economics Messiah