Jump to topic:

I just quit my job

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 12:18:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, I need a place to vent, and no place is better than the personal forums I suppose.

About 10 minutes ago, I quit my job. F*ck em. Seriously, working in a restaurant, for me, was awful. Here's a few fun things that I was subjected to while working there.

1) A few weeks ago, a busboy spilled water on a table that ended up getting all over a customers purse. Her husband quickly took her soaking purse and placed it on the table next to them. The problem was that the table was being set up for another group of people who were literally standing next to the table as all of this went down. I immediately told the guy that he needs to place the purse somewhere else because it's getting this other table wet now and I've got customers that are going there. I mean, there's no good point to making a mess larger than it already is. He removed the purse, while mumbling something. After sitting the party at their table, I went over to the man because I overheard him mocking me for telling him to remove the purse. So, I walked up to him and asked if he wanted to tell me something. He did. He immediately went off about how I lack empathy for his situation and that he's highly offended that I didn't help him out more. Now, the problem is that on that specific night I was hosting, so I was dressed very nicely, and my nice outfit made him think that I was the manager. After telling him that I was very sorry and that I only asked him to remove the purse because it was ruining an additional table he told me I should have helped him instead since I was the manager. I told him I was not the manager and just the host. In response, he told me I was a terrible host. My personality doesn't allow for such things to be said to me without retaliation, in the streets I would have broken his nose right then and there, but the real manager was right there so I held my tongue the best I could. I simply said, "okay well the best of luck to you and your attitude," and then walked away.

That was strike 1. I don't allow people to talk to me like that. I actually went to the owner about an hour later and put in my 2 weeks' notice. She talked me out of it though by explaining how Naples, Fl is a resort/retirement hub and how these older people naturally feel entitled since they've already put in their work and are now retired. It definitely put things into perspective, at-least, enough to keep me around for the time being.

2) The career-servers (I say "career" servers because most of them follow the seasons) are all grumpy, rude complainers who do nothing but constantly b*tch about customers and gossip about each other. I think there is something worth studying in the realm of food servers, because I noted several common psychological traits between a majority of them. Most of them, if not all, have some form of stunted emotional development, and seem to have the mentality of teenagers, even the 40 year old servers.

For instance, the other night as I was running food (I literally had like 4 different positions there depending on what they need me to do that specific night), I asked one of the servers to grab her salads that were ready to go out so that I could take out the entrees of another table. The server herself is a lost cause, a walking time-bomb who is more crude than 99% of fraternity guys I've interacted with. She immediately replied how she takes money out of her own tips for me so that I can do that job for her. I explained how I know this but could use the hands since I'm super busy. Instead of helping, she yells how she has 6 tables and is busy too. Now, I've worked in corporate places that gave me 10 tables before, so I know that 6 aint sh*t unless you suck as a server. I ask what her problem is and if I did anything to her to deserve this attitude, in response she started flipping out saying how she doesn't have time for this sh*t and storms out. A few minutes later she comes in saying, "don't worry about running my food for the rest of the night, I'll take it and then just not tip you." The problem here was that I've already been running food for her at that point, so I got angry. I told her to get the f*ck out of my kitchen, and that I now see why her baby-daddy ditched her. Harsh burn, but forreal, she's psycho, and I honestly see why he left her the first chance he got.

The owner got involved, and took my side on the matter. The thing is that I don't need attitude like that from some failure in life. Who does she think she is getting off on me like that? Some loser pothead who drops her kid off at her mom's house every-night so she can go out trying to find a replacement daddy. I don't need people like that in my life, and told my boss that this was strike 2.

3) The business itself is run horribly. In the 3 months that I worked there, I saw 4 different managers come and go, and 3 different GM's left. The main reason? The owners aren't willing to compromise. We've had a broken refrigerator for 2 months now, and the owner refuses to go and buy a new one. We don't even have a walk-in fridge. The problem is that the restaurant used to be much smaller, so the small kitchen and hands-on ownership approach worked. However, last year the owner got permission from the outlet mall to put up these massive umbrella's outside to block the sun and create a huge patio section, which allowed him to double the amount of tables we have. This doubling of tables means double the business, yet the kitchen isn't meant to handle all of that, so on busy nights - the place literally breaks. The chefs have mental breakdowns to the point where they are taking shots of brandy on the line just to keep themselves calm enough to keep working. The managers get fed up from the owners not listening to anything they say or recommend. The result is pure chaos anytime we have a busy night. The servers are all freaking out, and regardless of what job I'm doing that specific night, I get the fallout via people venting, taking it out on me, or simply being too attitudinal to even converse rationally. It's pure chaos...

4) Season is over. Last night I only made $60 in tips food-running from 11am till 9pm. We also make $10.50 an hour, but seriously f*ck that. When I was making over a $100 per night it would average out to be $25+ an hour. For that kinda money, I could take the attitudes, the chaos, and the lack of true leadership in both the kitchen and floor. But when I'm making less than 20 an hour, that's when I stop taking the bullsh!t. I can't sit there and listen to customers talking sh*t for such little pay. The other week I had a couple from Britain ask me to bring them new silverware because "unlike the uncivilized Americans, we don't re-use silverware from previous courses." I said sure and brought them some new silverware. The problem was what he said next. He just kept pushing the point, and once I returned with the new silverware he stated, "thank you, hopefully someday Americans will catch up to us culturally." To which I simply responded by saying, "luckily culture isn't what wins wars or else I'd be stuck listening to people like you all day." I said that while laughing and then walked away without giving him a second look. Fvck em.

Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion that I was not put on this Earth to serve others. I was not meant to be a server, host, food-runner, or shift-manager. Nope. I do not have the patience to be around the average server, nor the average customer. I mean, I've worked in other restaurants throughout my college-career (albeit they were all corporate places), and never had such a negative experience. This whole experience has pushed me even further into my desire to have an actual career someday. It was such a toxic environment, and I can't believe what some people put up with only so they can collect a paycheck at the end of the week. I've made enough to float myself for a few months until law school starts, thankfully.

Fin
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 12:27:02 PM
You are definitely not cut out for work in the service industry.

Good luck on the job search!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 12:37:21 PM
http://www.debate.org...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TurleDoveSammie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 12:48:19 PM
On another note, being a server takes a lot of patience and takes skill to deal with customers. Then again working at stores like Walmart is hard too. I get so many rude customers it's hard but to be patient and positive is a must. Yesterday I was having a crapy day yesterday and I had this elder couple come to my register and they wanted something then changed their kinda which required me to call for my supervisor for override (confusing, I know) she wasn't arkunf so not only did they have to wait but I did. I finally saw her but she was helping someone and then the man starts yelling at the top of his lungs hurry up and tell her to get over here or I'll go over there and start yelling at her to. So I like ran to get her and then walked back with her. They were in so much of a rush and angry that they forgot to grab their hacks so either way they still had to wait. But I really wanted to tell the guy he should've not cfangwd hha mind and it was his fault for doing that and now they have to what cause there was only one manager working at the moment. But I just said okay and ran to get her because I didn't wanna get in trouble. It's hard dealing with people like that. Yjey forget that others get busy and have priorities to do as well. But one thing I always try to think about is, if you want good service be the good service to them and even if they're ticked off it'll make them look like fools because were the ones doing our jobs and trying to do our best and they be shut up because of it. 3 days ago, a woman tried to blame me for her credit card getting locked because it wouldn't work so the manager referred her to pull money out if the ATM instead she walked out the store with her groceries unpaid for. Security and police went after her. They questioned her and she said I was being ride and argumentive with her but literally everyone knows that I don't do that with my customers I know better than to do that so they didn't believe her. So she got taken to jail and her daughter was taken to the child protective services. And when all that happened I felt like it was my fault it took everyone that saw and who were involved to tell me it wasn't. I thought I was gonna get in trouble but I didn't. At any job you work at there will apqaya be a problem. Something I've finally learned is not to just run from them but to embrace them and be strong and not let those things get to you. Now in the waiters business I can understand that they'll slave you and you don't get paid that well enough to do all that you do nor take the drama that comes with it do it's for the better in your case to search for another job. But don't let people get the best of you. Be the stronger person and take it for what it is and move on and see different approaches.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 12:50:28 PM
At 4/19/2015 12:27:02 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
You are definitely not cut out for work in the service industry.

You're right. This was a unique situation though which is why it threw me off so much. Every-time I worked in a restaurant in the past it was fine, the money was good and the people were enjoyable. I think the main issue with this place was that the average customer age was 60+, and with that came poor, self-entitled attitudes that I can't respect without reason. The servers always had poor attitudes too, and being in such an environment surrounded by that just brought me down nearly everyday.

I suppose it's better that I learned this sooner rather than later though, because I'm definitely not cut out for working in the service industry. I feel so conflicted right now too, I've never quit from a job before other than for school-reasons. It's the first time I did so due to personal/emotional reasons and it's weird to me because of that. On one hand I feel liberated, free, and good that I can end things that I don't benefit from. On the other hand, I feel bad for quitting due to personal reasons, and will really miss the handful of good things about that place like some of the people that I actually liked and just being able to work (I'm weird in that I actually like working). So this is a new and unusual place I'm finding myself in right now emotionally.

Good luck on the job search!

Thanks man :) There's plenty of opportunities around my area, so I'm not too worried.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 12:55:53 PM
At 4/19/2015 12:30:39 PM, TurleDoveSammie wrote:
Hey Addison, I'm sorry to hear about your job, but if I may, what will you so now?

Thanks Marie. Idk what I'm gonna do now to be perfectly honest. I'm in a weird position because I'll be starting law school up in the fall, so ultimately I'll only have a few more months here before I have to move closer to the school. I do have an opportunity to work for an older woman who needs help with her garden a couple days a week, and the pay is actually really good, but I'll need more than just a few days a week to pay for rent and my share of the monthly bills. Tomorrow I plan on going on the good ole' job hunt again, so whatever happens I'm sure it'll all work out. The ideal situation would be getting a job for a few days a week, while also working on the garden for the older woman on my off days. Time will tell all though.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 1:00:44 PM
At 4/19/2015 12:37:21 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Lol, yeah. I suppose it's my own fault for not realizing sooner that my type of personality doesn't work in service-industry jobs, but def do yourself a favor and steer clear of restaurant gigs. Unless you're willing to let the customer *always* be right while also willing to put up with the attitudes of other servers, it won't work. I don't have the level of patience needed for it.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 1:06:31 PM
At 4/19/2015 12:48:19 PM, TurleDoveSammie wrote:
On another note, being a server takes a lot of patience and takes skill to deal with customers. Then again working at stores like Walmart is hard too. I get so many rude customers it's hard but to be patient and positive is a must. Yesterday I was having a crapy day yesterday and I had this elder couple come to my register and they wanted something then changed their kinda which required me to call for my supervisor for override (confusing, I know) she wasn't arkunf so not only did they have to wait but I did. I finally saw her but she was helping someone and then the man starts yelling at the top of his lungs hurry up and tell her to get over here or I'll go over there and start yelling at her to. So I like ran to get her and then walked back with her. They were in so much of a rush and angry that they forgot to grab their hacks so either way they still had to wait. But I really wanted to tell the guy he should've not cfangwd hha mind and it was his fault for doing that and now they have to what cause there was only one manager working at the moment. But I just said okay and ran to get her because I didn't wanna get in trouble. It's hard dealing with people like that. Yjey forget that others get busy and have priorities to do as well. But one thing I always try to think about is, if you want good service be the good service to them and even if they're ticked off it'll make them look like fools because were the ones doing our jobs and trying to do our best and they be shut up because of it. 3 days ago, a woman tried to blame me for her credit card getting locked because it wouldn't work so the manager referred her to pull money out if the ATM instead she walked out the store with her groceries unpaid for. Security and police went after her. They questioned her and she said I was being ride and argumentive with her but literally everyone knows that I don't do that with my customers I know better than to do that so they didn't believe her. So she got taken to jail and her daughter was taken to the child protective services. And when all that happened I felt like it was my fault it took everyone that saw and who were involved to tell me it wasn't. I thought I was gonna get in trouble but I didn't. At any job you work at there will apqaya be a problem. Something I've finally learned is not to just run from them but to embrace them and be strong and not let those things get to you. Now in the waiters business I can understand that they'll slave you and you don't get paid that well enough to do all that you do nor take the drama that comes with it do it's for the better in your case to search for another job. But don't let people get the best of you. Be the stronger person and take it for what it is and move on and see different approaches.

I'm sorry to hear that you had to deal with that rude customer! I feel like sometimes people just don't even take the time to realize how the employees feel, heck even I am guilty of that. Now that I've been in their shoes though, I see just how awful it can be sometimes. In my case, now that season is over the money I'm making doesn't justify the drama and putting up with it. Which is ultimately why I left. If I was still making $120 a night plus hourly then that's one thing, but I'm not anymore.

You're right about not letting people get the best of me though, and I appreciate you taking the time to say and remind me of that. I must concede that career-servers are much more patient than myself, and for that I can definitely respect them. They are capable of doing a job that I simply cannot deal with. Hopefully I'll be able to find a smooth job to keep me busy over the next few months.
TurleDoveSammie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 4:29:13 PM
At 4/19/2015 1:00:44 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 4/19/2015 12:37:21 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Lol, yeah. I suppose it's my own fault for not realizing sooner that my type of personality doesn't work in service-industry jobs, but def do yourself a favor and steer clear of restaurant gigs. Unless you're willing to let the customer *always* be right while also willing to put up with the attitudes of other servers, it won't work. I don't have the level of patience needed for it.

If anything Addison, that is something I know you like doing, being out in the nature. I think the offer to help the older lady. You ahold try doing something with gardening that pays for now until your in and ready to head on to your law career. Props btw. I actually have been leaning more into maybe becoming an FBI or CIA one day. I'm really liking my criminology courses a lot. I kinda got behind a little but I still work on it. But hey just do your best and hey, it's fine, everyone is different and handles things differently as well as reacts differently, but in life we all are the in which we all always are put in aituayions to learn things. Let me tell you my whole eorld of life has changed TREMENDOUSLY. I have a different outlook on life now because of how different things are for me. But it's a learning process. If your not willing to learn basically then yoyll continue to deal with the same things. Embrace them as I was saying earlier. Your life is like a flower. All our lives are like flower. We first are born just as dlowers are born (strange to say right lol), but it takes a seed for it to begin growing just like it takes a baby to first to be conceived in the mothers womb to begin growing. As time goes on they both continue growing and then something amazing happens, the flower blooms because of the neutrinos it's taken in from the soil water and sun. The baby is born and delivered healthily because the mother takes care of herself (I know not all mothers are not like that but you get what I mean hopefully). We learn as time goes on and if you don't then you'll never grow. THInk of it that way. But I do wish ya the best in hopes you find a new job but I think gardening or something would suit you because it's literally what you draw yourself to and enjoy.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 4:59:24 PM
At 4/19/2015 4:29:13 PM, TurleDoveSammie wrote:
Your life is like a flower. All our lives are like flower. We first are born just as dlowers are born (strange to say right lol), but it takes a seed for it to begin growing just like it takes a baby to first to be conceived in the mothers womb to begin growing. As time goes on they both continue growing and then something amazing happens, the flower blooms because of the neutrinos it's taken in from the soil water and sun. The baby is born and delivered healthily because the mother takes care of herself (I know not all mothers are not like that but you get what I mean hopefully). We learn as time goes on and if you don't then you'll never grow. THInk of it that way. But I do wish ya the best in hopes you find a new job but I think gardening or something would suit you because it's literally what you draw yourself to and enjoy.

-Marie 2k15

Beautiful <3
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 9:55:42 PM
I've never worked in the food service industry, but I've worked in retail and I've known enough people who have worked in the food service industry to know that most customers suck... I also almost never tip less than 20%. Sometimes more, if the service is really good.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:00:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, Blade, but it seems to me that the problem is more with your attitude just not being the right fit for the service industry. I'd recommend looking for something else.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 4:12:51 AM
At 4/19/2015 9:55:42 PM, YYW wrote:
I've never worked in the food service industry, but I've worked in retail and I've known enough people who have worked in the food service industry to know that most customers suck... I also almost never tip less than 20%. Sometimes more, if the service is really good.

All I can say, in response to you never working in the food service industry, is to count your blessings lol, it really isn't a fun experience at all in my opinion. I also try to stick to the 20% rule unless the service is extraordinarily poor or good.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 4:28:00 AM
At 4/20/2015 12:00:04 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, Blade, but it seems to me that the problem is more with your attitude just not being the right fit for the service industry. I'd recommend looking for something else.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I kinda knew from previous experiences that working in restaurants isn't the best fit for my personality, but I wasn't absolutely sure on the matter. If anything, I know now that I wasn't meant to be in the service industry. I'm in a break between schooling right now so it can't be anything more than a temp job, which is why working in a restaurant was a nice fit in the first place. I'm confident that I'll find another job soon though, especially since I can't rest until I do, lol.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 5:21:59 AM
Sig change.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 8:44:47 AM
At 4/19/2015 12:18:50 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Well, I need a place to vent, and no place is better than the personal forums I suppose.

About 10 minutes ago, I quit my job. F*ck em. Seriously, working in a restaurant, for me, was awful. Here's a few fun things that I was subjected to while working there.

1) A few weeks ago, a busboy spilled water on a table that ended up getting all over a customers purse. Her husband quickly took her soaking purse and placed it on the table next to them. The problem was that the table was being set up for another group of people who were literally standing next to the table as all of this went down. I immediately told the guy that he needs to place the purse somewhere else because it's getting this other table wet now and I've got customers that are going there. I mean, there's no good point to making a mess larger than it already is. He removed the purse, while mumbling something. After sitting the party at their table, I went over to the man because I overheard him mocking me for telling him to remove the purse. So, I walked up to him and asked if he wanted to tell me something. He did. He immediately went off about how I lack empathy for his situation and that he's highly offended that I didn't help him out more. Now, the problem is that on that specific night I was hosting, so I was dressed very nicely, and my nice outfit made him think that I was the manager. After telling him that I was very sorry and that I only asked him to remove the purse because it was ruining an additional table he told me I should have helped him instead since I was the manager. I told him I was not the manager and just the host. In response, he told me I was a terrible host. My personality doesn't allow for such things to be said to me without retaliation, in the streets I would have broken his nose right then and there, but the real manager was right there so I held my tongue the best I could. I simply said, "okay well the best of luck to you and your attitude," and then walked away.

That was strike 1. I don't allow people to talk to me like that. I actually went to the owner about an hour later and put in my 2 weeks' notice. She talked me out of it though by explaining how Naples, Fl is a resort/retirement hub and how these older people naturally feel entitled since they've already put in their work and are now retired. It definitely put things into perspective, at-least, enough to keep me around for the time being.

2) The career-servers (I say "career" servers because most of them follow the seasons) are all grumpy, rude complainers who do nothing but constantly b*tch about customers and gossip about each other. I think there is something worth studying in the realm of food servers, because I noted several common psychological traits between a majority of them. Most of them, if not all, have some form of stunted emotional development, and seem to have the mentality of teenagers, even the 40 year old servers.

For instance, the other night as I was running food (I literally had like 4 different positions there depending on what they need me to do that specific night), I asked one of the servers to grab her salads that were ready to go out so that I could take out the entrees of another table. The server herself is a lost cause, a walking time-bomb who is more crude than 99% of fraternity guys I've interacted with. She immediately replied how she takes money out of her own tips for me so that I can do that job for her. I explained how I know this but could use the hands since I'm super busy. Instead of helping, she yells how she has 6 tables and is busy too. Now, I've worked in corporate places that gave me 10 tables before, so I know that 6 aint sh*t unless you suck as a server. I ask what her problem is and if I did anything to her to deserve this attitude, in response she started flipping out saying how she doesn't have time for this sh*t and storms out. A few minutes later she comes in saying, "don't worry about running my food for the rest of the night, I'll take it and then just not tip you." The problem here was that I've already been running food for her at that point, so I got angry. I told her to get the f*ck out of my kitchen, and that I now see why her baby-daddy ditched her. Harsh burn, but forreal, she's psycho, and I honestly see why he left her the first chance he got.

The owner got involved, and took my side on the matter. The thing is that I don't need attitude like that from some failure in life. Who does she think she is getting off on me like that? Some loser pothead who drops her kid off at her mom's house every-night so she can go out trying to find a replacement daddy. I don't need people like that in my life, and told my boss that this was strike 2.

3) The business itself is run horribly. In the 3 months that I worked there, I saw 4 different managers come and go, and 3 different GM's left. The main reason? The owners aren't willing to compromise. We've had a broken refrigerator for 2 months now, and the owner refuses to go and buy a new one. We don't even have a walk-in fridge. The problem is that the restaurant used to be much smaller, so the small kitchen and hands-on ownership approach worked. However, last year the owner got permission from the outlet mall to put up these massive umbrella's outside to block the sun and create a huge patio section, which allowed him to double the amount of tables we have. This doubling of tables means double the business, yet the kitchen isn't meant to handle all of that, so on busy nights - the place literally breaks. The chefs have mental breakdowns to the point where they are taking shots of brandy on the line just to keep themselves calm enough to keep working. The managers get fed up from the owners not listening to anything they say or recommend. The result is pure chaos anytime we have a busy night. The servers are all freaking out, and regardless of what job I'm doing that specific night, I get the fallout via people venting, taking it out on me, or simply being too attitudinal to even converse rationally. It's pure chaos...

4) Season is over. Last night I only made $60 in tips food-running from 11am till 9pm. We also make $10.50 an hour, but seriously f*ck that. When I was making over a $100 per night it would average out to be $25+ an hour. For that kinda money, I could take the attitudes, the chaos, and the lack of true leadership in both the kitchen and floor. But when I'm making less than 20 an hour, that's when I stop taking the bullsh!t. I can't sit there and listen to customers talking sh*t for such little pay. The other week I had a couple from Britain ask me to bring them new silverware because "unlike the uncivilized Americans, we don't re-use silverware from previous courses." I said sure and brought them some new silverware. The problem was what he said next. He just kept pushing the point, and once I returned with the new silverware he stated, "thank you, hopefully someday Americans will catch up to us culturally." To which I simply responded by saying, "luckily culture isn't what wins wars or else I'd be stuck listening to people like you all day." I said that while laughing and then walked away without giving him a second look. Fvck em.

I've heard this same testimony from almost everyone that works in the restaurant biz. You're not alone in your struggle. Also spot on about career servers.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:39:03 PM
Reminds me of this story.

An older guy who has been struggling getting a job, goes to an interview.

Interviewer: "What is one of your weaknesses."

Old guy: "My biggest weakness is that I'm too honest."

Interviewer: "Honesty is a good feature to have. That is not a weakness."

Old guy: "I don't give a f what you think."

Trust me when I say the level of stupidity you went through will be in every job. It is just a matter of how much. It is something good to think of when choosing a career.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 8:53:28 PM
You would've hit that first guy for saying you were bad at your job?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 3:20:52 AM
At 4/20/2015 8:53:28 PM, Maikuru wrote:
You would've hit that first guy for saying you were bad at your job?

If he had been that disrespectful to me outside of the work environment and depending on the amount of people around, absolutely. Respect is something I value highly, both in terms of giving and receiving. While I can accept not receiving respect if I haven't earned it, being hit with blatant disrespect is just something I can't stand for. Something in me just kicks in and I'm overcome with rage whenever I'm unjustly disrespected. Obviously the key is whether to act on that rage or not, and only in the perfect setting would I actually do so. For instance, if he would have said that to me in the middle of a parking lot with no-one in sight, he'd get hit. In nearly any other circumstance, I'd most likely not act on it for my own sake.

To truly understand why I'd hit him if no-one else is looking is a much longer story which delves into my history of fighting and how that was my main defense mechanism while growing up in ghetto highschool as a wealthy white boy. It's just in my nature. Only since joining DDO a year ago have I truly began to learn of the other means at our disposal for handling conflict.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 11:16:41 AM
I feel ya bro, i quit my construction job a while back. I got frustrated with it and it's so stupid you wouldn't even believe. We're supposed to be working as a team not running around disorganized. It's heavy work carrying around stuff but the bad thing about it was that my boss gave me no training and no tools. How the HECK do you expect me to work then? I asked my co workers for help and they didn't know squat. I could deal with them making fun of me, but it's the lack of organization that pissed me off.

Screw it, i got my money. Word of advice, you are your own boss and you make the rules. If they're not willing to work with you to get the job done, get out. Man if i get to a breaking point, i'll walk out of the job. I don't care what the boss will do to me.