Jump to topic:

Pray for a miracle?

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 10:36:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Is it wrong for me to pray for a miracle? I've been depressed lately and my health's been suffering. I've been feeling helpless to situations in life. The kindness that was once in me just doesn't seem to be there anymore. I feel enslaved to bitterness and anger. I've been through hell in the past and God's healed me on the inside but now, i want him to heal me physically.

Don't waste time trolling cuz i won't respond.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 10:39:12 AM
At 4/21/2015 10:36:58 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
Is it wrong for me to pray for a miracle? I've been depressed lately and my health's been suffering. I've been feeling helpless to situations in life. The kindness that was once in me just doesn't seem to be there anymore. I feel enslaved to bitterness and anger. I've been through hell in the past and God's healed me on the inside but now, i want him to heal me physically.

To the extent that it induces a placebo effect or helps somehow, I'd say that's a good thing. To the extent that it makes you complacent and makes you feel like you don't need to actually try and solve the problems, it's detrimental.

If we could pray away our physical ailments, we never would have invented medicine, now would we?
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 10:43:48 AM
At 4/21/2015 10:39:12 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

To the extent that it induces a placebo effect or helps somehow, I'd say that's a good thing. To the extent that it makes you complacent and makes you feel like you don't need to actually try and solve the problems, it's detrimental.

If we could pray away our physical ailments, we never would have invented medicine, now would we?

I want the meds, but i can't even have that. Faith is all i have.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 10:55:39 AM
At 4/21/2015 10:43:48 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Do you live in a country without universal health care?

Are you saying there is nothing you can do to improve your condition?

If you're comfortable revealing your condition either here or in a private message, I would be happy to review some of the relevant medical literature and ask some of my colleagues in medical research.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 11:03:19 AM
At 4/21/2015 10:55:39 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

If you're comfortable revealing your condition either here or in a private message, I would be happy to review some of the relevant medical literature and ask some of my colleagues in medical research.

Tinnitus and i'm sure there is, but i've been depressed and suicidal just a bit. Like sometimes i just want to put a gun to my head and blow my brains out just so the ringing can stop but i'm waiting for the cure.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 4:36:15 PM
At 4/21/2015 11:03:19 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Tinnitus and i'm sure there is, but i've been depressed and suicidal just a bit. Like sometimes i just want to put a gun to my head and blow my brains out just so the ringing can stop but i'm waiting for the cure.

Has anyone been cured of tinnitus using prayer?

Actually, the lab next door to mine specializes in tinnitus research and treatment. I will ask them about options, but I'm pretty sure there is no real treatment with long-term effectiveness that predictably works for people. We're exploring a neurofeedback treatment, but that research hasn't started yet.

I'll ask them for options, and please do let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. I know tinnitus can really drive someone crazy.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 5:12:11 PM
At 4/21/2015 4:36:15 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Actually, the lab next door to mine specializes in tinnitus research and treatment. I will ask them about options, but I'm pretty sure there is no real treatment with long-term effectiveness that predictably works for people. We're exploring a neurofeedback treatment, but that research hasn't started yet.

I'll ask them for options, and please do let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. I know tinnitus can really drive someone crazy.

Idk but there's always a 1st time for everything LOL!

I think my inner ears have been clogged with build up fluid. Once, i turned upside down so the blood would rush through my head. I felt alot of pressure in my inner ears with a fluid that wasn't blood. Maybe if i can get it drained, i get cured?
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 5:17:06 PM
At 4/21/2015 5:12:11 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 4/21/2015 4:36:15 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Idk but there's always a 1st time for everything LOL!

I think my inner ears have been clogged with build up fluid. Once, i turned upside down so the blood would rush through my head. I felt alot of pressure in my inner ears with a fluid that wasn't blood. Maybe if i can get it drained, i get cured?

I'm not familiar with any evidence that prayer is useful for medical problems.

I also don't know that fluid in the inner ear is related to tinnitus, but I don't study tinnitus. I will ask for you.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 5:29:30 PM

Why can't you have proven medication?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 5:31:59 PM
At 4/21/2015 5:29:30 PM, SamStevens wrote:

For financial purposes. Prayer is free and effective :P
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 5:35:13 PM
At 4/21/2015 5:31:59 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

If prayer is effective, a lot of people wouldn't be dying of disease every year.
http://www.nytimes.com...
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 5:39:11 PM
At 4/21/2015 5:35:13 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 4/21/2015 5:31:59 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

If prayer is effective, a lot of people wouldn't be dying of disease every year.
http://www.nytimes.com...

healing come by faith :P lol