Jump to topic:

Finally Moving to DC!

ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 3:09:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
After countless interviews with many different companies, I finally landed a decent job in DC, which is where I've been wanting to live since I graduated last year. Now I'm in the midst of apartment hunting, since I need to move out there sometime in May. Does anybody on DDO live in DC and know what neighborhoods are affordable but not too far from a stop on the red line? A friend told me to start looking in Woodley Park, but any other suggestions are welcome too.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 7:58:33 PM
At 4/24/2015 3:09:42 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
After countless interviews with many different companies, I finally landed a decent job in DC, which is where I've been wanting to live since I graduated last year. Now I'm in the midst of apartment hunting, since I need to move out there sometime in May. Does anybody on DDO live in DC and know what neighborhoods are affordable but not too far from a stop on the red line? A friend told me to start looking in Woodley Park, but any other suggestions are welcome too.

Find a place outside the city, on the west-side of the river. Traffic will be a b*tch, but rent will be much more affordable. If money isn't an issue, try to find a place as close to your work as possible. That city is notoriously bad traffic-wise. In my own experience, I lived close to my work and bought myself an electric bicycle. The city itself is very bike-friendly, so if you're active that's the way to go. I can't speak on behalf of woodley park myself, but I mean if you have the money for that then by all means, lol, you could take some nice strolls in the park next-door :)

Best of luck!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 8:01:40 PM
Oh, and def grab lunch at Old Ebbitt Grill. It's expensive, so def not a daily place, but the atmosphere is one of a kind.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 11:23:07 PM
I live near to DC. I would suggest not living in the city, but on of the suburbs, like Montgomery or Charles counties in MD, or Loudon or Fairfax counties in VA.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:00:32 PM
At 4/24/2015 5:36:03 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Congrats on getting the job!

This is the best website I could find that should help you out.

https://www.reddit.com...

Thanks, I'll take a look at some of the other areas on here
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:05:35 PM
At 4/24/2015 7:58:33 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Find a place outside the city, on the west-side of the river. Traffic will be a b*tch, but rent will be much more affordable. If money isn't an issue, try to find a place as close to your work as possible. That city is notoriously bad traffic-wise. In my own experience, I lived close to my work and bought myself an electric bicycle. The city itself is very bike-friendly, so if you're active that's the way to go. I can't speak on behalf of woodley park myself, but I mean if you have the money for that then by all means, lol, you could take some nice strolls in the park next-door :)

Best of luck!

Thanks! I am trying to do as little driving as possible, so yeah either a bike or just do the city bike program for like $75 a year. Pretty convenient way to get around town
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:07:06 PM
At 4/24/2015 11:23:07 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I live near to DC. I would suggest not living in the city, but on of the suburbs, like Montgomery or Charles counties in MD, or Loudon or Fairfax counties in VA.

Why do you say this? I would much rather live in the city and be able to walk/bike/metro than have to deal with traffic. Other than cost, is there a reason to live out in the suburbs?
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:09:17 PM

What kind of job did you get?
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:10:48 PM
At 4/25/2015 2:09:17 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

What kind of job did you get?

I'll be working as a research analyst for a digital marketing firm.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 2:41:20 PM
At 4/25/2015 2:07:06 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

Why do you say this? I would much rather live in the city and be able to walk/bike/metro than have to deal with traffic. Other than cost, is there a reason to live out in the suburbs?

The DC's metro system sucks, and there aren't many good neighborhoods. Those neighborhoods that are good are too expensive.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 3:41:37 PM

Because they're better in every conceivable way?
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 8:52:00 PM
At 4/25/2015 3:41:37 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Because they're better in every conceivable way?

Lol I think we have very different tastes
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2015 11:49:39 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!

Ended up going with a lovely place in Woodley Park! Perfect location for me, it's close to where I will be working and walking around I got the sense that it's a great neighborhood with tons of restaurants/cool stuff to do. Super excited for the move!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 5:10:45 PM

Congrats.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 6:02:41 PM
Your moving to DC on purpose? LOL
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 10:29:31 PM
At 5/4/2015 6:02:41 PM, sadolite wrote:
Your moving to DC on purpose? LOL

It's one of the best cities to live in in the US. Very friendly to walk/bike/public transit, tons of educated young people, lots of interesting events to go to, and it doesn't have terrible weather like NYC or smog like LA.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 10:29:47 PM
At 5/4/2015 5:10:45 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Congrats.

Thanks man
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 7:27:32 AM
At 5/4/2015 10:29:47 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 5/4/2015 5:10:45 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Congrats.

Thanks man

Welcome.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~