Jump to topic:

Help me prep for the SAT.

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 7:47:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I want to get feedback on my writing, so here's the plan - I'll write an essay on the first three prompts that are suggested in this thread. Afterwards, I'll post them for feedback. One prompt per person. Doesn't matter what it is, since I want to be able to bs my way through anything.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 7:55:21 PM
At 4/25/2015 7:47:42 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
I want to get feedback on my writing, so here's the plan - I'll write an essay on the first three prompts that are suggested in this thread. Afterwards, I'll post them for feedback. One prompt per person. Doesn't matter what it is, since I want to be able to bs my way through anything.

https://professionals.collegeboard.com....
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 7:58:06 PM

Is it more important to work as an individual or with a team?
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 7:58:10 PM
At 4/25/2015 7:55:21 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Do the first one.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 8:11:19 PM
At 4/25/2015 8:10:49 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Is anyone here a mental health professional?

If so, i would like some xanax please
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 8:18:33 PM

I usually get 12's on most practice tests when my teacher grades them, sometimes 11, so I can give them a look if you want m8
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2015 8:18:45 PM

Oh wait, not look through, give a prompt. LOL
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 3:28:01 AM

"The most effective way to practice at something is to simulate the conditions under which you will need to perform as closely as possible." Evaluate this statement.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 4:44:36 AM
At 4/25/2015 7:58:10 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Do the first one.

Posting to get my timestamp - I'm going to write it all in one go and post it here within 25 minutes.

For reference, the prompt:

Should people who are more fortunate than others have more of a moral obligation to help those who are less fortunate? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 5:12:09 AM
At 4/26/2015 4:44:36 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

Do the first one.

Posting to get my timestamp - I'm going to write it all in one go and post it here within 25 minutes.

Should people who are more fortunate than others have more of a moral obligation to help those who are less fortunate? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations.

Some formatting errors, so the timing is a bit off.

Duty as Slavery

If one goes into any city, looks down a random street, and examines the social standings of the people on it, it"s quite likely that the gap between the highest few and the lowest many will be significant. A single mother, drowned in debt from her three children and joblessness, would want nothing more than to move up the chain - who wouldn"t? This desire is certainly valid, but is it a valid reason to force, whether physically or through devious sophistry, those already at the top to climb back down to make room for those previously at the bottom? The answer: no, not without destroying the very basis of morality and value.

What does it mean for something to be moral? How do you determine what one should do in any given situation? The obvious answers are that something is moral when it"s done with the right motive (for morality only applies to voluntary actions, and nothing but the initial motivation is able to be completely chosen) and that that motive should be to advance towards a proper goal. The only thing that can determine the ultimate end that it aims all its actions towards is the individual self, and, as such, it is the self that is the source of all morality.

If it is the self that is the measure of all things, morality is incoherent without the self at its center. Values aren"t possible to anything but the ego (a rock nor a brainless zombie can value anything), and, in this way, the ego must be the most vital component of any ethical system that proposes to tell people how to achieve what they value. If the self is destroyed, so are values, and, thus, the justification for any morality which would call for such destruction.

The idea of an "obligation" to do anything that doesn"t benefit the self is the idea that the self is not primary. It is the idea that it is moral for the self to be subjugated to others; under this framework, the individual derives his worth from how much of a slave he is. The morality of altruism is a morality of complete self-abasement. No action is free if the actor was held at gunpoint - in much the same way, no value is chosen freely if the mind that chose it was shackled in chains to everything but itself.

Nothing can be of primary value other than the self. There is no issue with choosing to benefit others, but only if doing so will also benefit the self. Demanding that someone does anything not because it"s good for them but because it"s good for others is equivalent to demanding that someone kills themselves - the result, in the moral sphere, is the same. Given this, it has been made plain that altruistic moral obligations have no place in any rational ethical system.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 5:14:57 AM
That essay needs a LOT more concretization. I exchanged answering the prompt directly in the way that I would assume they wanted me to for answering it in an abstract and roundabout manner.

I really don't like the traditional intro -> body paragraphs 1, 2, 3 with points 1, 2, 3 -> conclusion. Paragraphs should be focused, sure, but they shouldn't be self-contained - the essay should be seamless and holistic. The mindset of having one clear topic sentence, then support, then a concluding sentence is unnecessarily restrictive when points feed off of each other and things only make sense in the context of the whole..

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 5:49:26 AM
"(a rock nor a brainless zombie can value anything)" should be "neither a rock..."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 7:38:17 PM

https://plus.google.com...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 8:11:36 PM

In case you couldn't tell, my topic was sarcastic. You're better of practicing real SAT prompts, unless you've run out, because those better mimic the real question you'll get on the test.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 8:54:54 PM
The scoring system may have changed since I took it (5 years ago) but you don't need to practice the essay writing at all. I only got a 4 and a 5 I think, for 9/12 and still aced the writing section on the strength of the multiple choice questions. Preparing for those is a much more efficient use of your time, IMO
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 9:08:17 PM
At 4/26/2015 8:11:36 PM, bluesteel wrote:

In case you couldn't tell, my topic was sarcastic. You're better of practicing real SAT prompts, unless you've run out, because those better mimic the real question you'll get on the test.

I could tell, haha.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 9:14:51 PM
At 4/26/2015 5:12:09 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 4/26/2015 4:44:36 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

Do the first one.

Some formatting errors, so the timing is a bit off.

Duty as Slavery

If one goes into any city, looks down a random street, and examines the social standings of the people on it, it"s quite likely that the gap between the highest few and the lowest many will be significant. A single mother, drowned in debt from her three children and joblessness, would want nothing more than to move up the chain - who wouldn"t? This desire is certainly valid, but is it a valid reason to force, whether physically or through devious sophistry, those already at the top to climb back down to make room for those previously at the bottom? The answer: no, not without destroying the very basis of morality and value.

What does it mean for something to be moral? How do you determine what one should do in any given situation? The obvious answers are that something is moral when it"s done with the right motive (for morality only applies to voluntary actions, and nothing but the initial motivation is able to be completely chosen) and that that motive should be to advance towards a proper goal. The only thing that can determine the ultimate end that it aims all its actions towards is the individual self, and, as such, it is the self that is the source of all morality.

If it is the self that is the measure of all things, morality is incoherent without the self at its center. Values aren"t possible to anything but the ego (a rock nor a brainless zombie can value anything), and, in this way, the ego must be the most vital component of any ethical system that proposes to tell people how to achieve what they value. If the self is destroyed, so are values, and, thus, the justification for any morality which would call for such destruction.

The idea of an "obligation" to do anything that doesn"t benefit the self is the idea that the self is not primary. It is the idea that it is moral for the self to be subjugated to others; under this framework, the individual derives his worth from how much of a slave he is. The morality of altruism is a morality of complete self-abasement. No action is free if the actor was held at gunpoint - in much the same way, no value is chosen freely if the mind that chose it was shackled in chains to everything but itself.

Nothing can be of primary value other than the self. There is no issue with choosing to benefit others, but only if doing so will also benefit the self. Demanding that someone does anything not because it"s good for them but because it"s good for others is equivalent to demanding that someone kills themselves - the result, in the moral sphere, is the same. Given this, it has been made plain that altruistic moral obligations have no place in any rational ethical system.

3/12
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 9:27:16 PM
Ford is right by the way, bossy. Don't waste your time on the essay section. It's the hardest area to improve (except for maybe reading comprehension) and is the least important. Since you're already a good writer, the essay isn't going to be the limiting factor for your score.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 9:33:17 PM
Btw, Bossy, I agree with the others that the writing section isn't as important. If you get a 10 and ace the grammar section, then you'll still get an 800. Of course, colleges might evaluate your essay to determine whether you'll be admitted or not, but in terms of scoring, it's not that high of a priority.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 9:39:54 PM
At 4/26/2015 9:33:17 PM, RevNge wrote:
Btw, Bossy, I agree with the others that the writing section isn't as important. If you get a 10 and ace the grammar section, then you'll still get an 800. Of course, colleges might evaluate your essay to determine whether you'll be admitted or not, but in terms of scoring, it's not that high of a priority.

It's honestly a matter of pride rather than anything else.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 9:41:38 PM
Since you can't depend on getting 6's no matter how well you write (no, really) it's really only between 8-10 for writers like bossy. You can practice writing essays for a year, and you MIGHT improve your average by 1 or 2 points, which is worth like 30 points. Seriously, forget the essay writing. It's rare for your someone's essay score to change what final score they get by more than a few points. The MC is what matters.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 9:46:04 PM
At 4/26/2015 9:39:54 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

Arrogance will be your downfall with that mindset m8.

Which reminds me, how many questions do you get wrong on the grammar section? Instead of asking us for prompts, btw, find some on CollegeBoard or something and we'll critique your essays themselves. IMO, that will help you more than us actually giving you prompts, which we are unqualified to do.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 9:53:58 PM
At 4/26/2015 9:46:04 PM, RevNge wrote:

Which reminds me, how many questions do you get wrong on the grammar section?
From prior experience with similar tests and the College Board practice test, almost none (though the online college board test completely screwed up my answers so I had to manually check my answers). I aced the section on the community college placement test I took, and that seemed to be of comparable difficulty.

Instead of asking us for prompts, btw, find some on CollegeBoard or something and we'll critique your essays themselves. IMO, that will help you more than us actually giving you prompts, which we are unqualified to do.

Yeah, I guess, but that isn't as interesting... I guess I shouldn't care about interest, but still.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 1:12:51 AM

It varies from year to year, I think. One year I literally missed one question on the PSAT grammar section and lost 2 points, killing my dream of a perfect score. But then that year's test was probably super easy so they had to grade more harshly. At least I think that's how it works.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 4:14:42 AM

Which reminds me, how many questions do you get wrong on the grammar section? Instead of asking us for prompts, btw, find some on CollegeBoard or something and we'll critique your essays themselves. IMO, that will help you more than us actually giving you prompts, which we are unqualified to do.

I got 47 right and two wrong on the writing sections of this practice test (the two I missed were because of really careless errors): http://www.collegeboard.com...

If I understand the scoring correctly, that would scale to an 800 (assuming an appropriate writing score), right?

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 11:51:55 AM
At 4/27/2015 4:14:42 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

I got 47 right and two wrong on the writing sections of this practice test (the two I missed were because of really careless errors): http://www.collegeboard.com...

If I understand the scoring correctly, that would scale to an 800 (assuming an appropriate writing score), right?

If you got only two wrong, then for a perfect score, you'll probably need an 11 or a 12. Even so, if you get a 9 or a 10, you'll still be in the high 700's. Personally, I'd try to improve my reading and math (assuming that you're not as good at them as you are at writing), but just make sure to double-check your work on the test to make sure you don't screw up.

That being said, like I mentioned before, some colleges might turn a sharper eye toward applicants' essays, so maybe it's a good idea to practice writing.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 11:54:59 AM
At 4/27/2015 1:12:51 AM, ford_prefect wrote:

It varies from year to year, I think. One year I literally missed one question on the PSAT grammar section and lost 2 points, killing my dream of a perfect score. But then that year's test was probably super easy so they had to grade more harshly. At least I think that's how it works.

Yeah, I noticed that too. On some tests, if you get just a single question wrong, it's an automatic two point deduction. On others, though, you still get an 80. I'm not sure why.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 1:10:49 PM
At 4/27/2015 11:54:59 AM, RevNge wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that too. On some tests, if you get just a single question wrong, it's an automatic two point deduction. On others, though, you still get an 80. I'm not sure why.

Your score is a direction reflection of your percentile, so if missing one question puts you at a percentile that is below the 800 cutoff, then you don't get an 800.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 1:12:21 PM
At 4/27/2015 1:10:49 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/27/2015 11:54:59 AM, RevNge wrote:

Your score is a direction reflection of your percentile, so if missing one question puts you at a percentile that is below the 800 cutoff, then you don't get an 800.

Thank you senpai :D