Jump to topic:

Manual vs. Automatic Transmission

ConnorSween16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 10:17:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I know there a pros and cons to both manual and automatic cars, which do you guys think is best for a first car and why?
ConnorSween16
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 11:14:43 AM
At 5/1/2015 10:17:45 AM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
I know there a pros and cons to both manual and automatic cars, which do you guys think is best for a first car and why?

Automatic is certainly easier to drive, but some claim manual is more "fun". The question is: do you want to have extra movements to keep you occupied and engaged while driving, or do you just want to push down on the gas?

I can drive both.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 1:23:30 PM

For a first car, I'd recommend an automatic.
Learn how to drive, in all weather, in all situations, without worrying about the clutch.
My work here is, finally, done.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 4:00:45 PM
Learn to drive a manual and you can drive anything. With that said, if you expect a lot of stop and go driving get an automatic. A manual gets old fast in stop and go traffic.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2015 10:18:39 PM
At 5/1/2015 4:00:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
Learn to drive a manual and you can drive anything. With that said, if you expect a lot of stop and go driving get an automatic. A manual gets old fast in stop and go traffic.

Pretty much this. It's fvcking awesome to know how to drive a stick shift, but it can be a pain in the butt. Learn to drive a manual if you can, but tbh just get a safe car that won't fall apart in a month.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2015 8:56:47 AM

As others have said, it really depends on what you want and what your needs are. A stick shift gives you a feeling of control, but I would not have one for driving in the city. If you're driving on the interstate, though, there are some really fun things you can do with a stick shift.

That said, I am one of the most aggressive drivers I know... with one exception...

If you're not an aggressive driver, a stick shift is probably going to be less satisfying.
Tsar of DDO
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2015 8:49:49 PM

Your first car should be the safest you can afford.