Jump to topic:

People that are so sure of themselves

Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 8:49:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was watching this video on YouTube about how black people are superior to whites (I was really bored). This guy made a 10-20 minute video on it and he started with the premise that the pineal gland secretes melanin. For those of you who've taken a biology class, you'll know that it's not melanin (a pigment) that it secretes, but melatonin (a hormone). He made an entire video, fully edited and posted to the public, that started off on a premise so erroneous and so easily fixed by a simple Google search. How could someone be so sure that they are right to the point that they put hours into a project that wasn't even properly fact checked? I just don't understand.

And later on (a few weeks later), I had stumbled upon the final recording of the Jonestown massacre folks as they were being poisoned. You heard children crying from the cyanide their own parents made them down. Then, as is the nature of the internet, one link to another, I found the website of the Heaven's Gate cult, who also poisoned themselves. They all had one thing in common-- they were absolutely sure of themselves. One lady of the Gate cult was talking about how they were going to be elevated and how it's such a great thing, as if it were all hard fact. It troubled me, how a mother could be so sure of her cult that she would trust a maniac like Jim Jones and kill her own flesh and blood and how those from the Gate cult were so sure of some guy who called himself Jesus that they killed themselves. Again, how did you not second guess yourselves? How are you so sure?

There are so many people that have devoted their lives to some faulty cause or study (aliens, loch ness, religion, etc.), without ever thinking, "Well, maybe I'm wrong and I'm just wasting my time". But no, they are just so sure of themselves.

I don't understand it. It's probably just me, I have personally never really been sure about anything. Any time I make a choice, I nearly annoy myself to death with doubt. The idea that others don't also doubt themselves seems so odd to me. What about you guys?
falling
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 6:09:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think I have the opposite problem, sometimes. Not in big things like religion or race, but in class, there would be a question I was sure I'd know how to do. Even if I get a different answer to other people, I somehow convince myself I'm right. I'm usually trying to put it to them gently that they're wrong when the teacher puts the answer up and I'm wrong.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. I wouldn't say I'm so sure of myself - just small things I fail to doubt myself enough.