Jump to topic:

What are your favorite books?

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 11:42:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I guess I'll start. These are just a few that I really like: the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater, and most recently Half a King by Joe Abercrombie.

What are yours?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 12:31:27 AM
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz, Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov, Shame by Salman Rushdie, Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Anna Karenin by Leo Tolstoy, The Stranger by Albert Camus, The Dying Earth series by Jack Vance, Sula by Toni Morrison, T. S. Eliot's poetry and plays, Ovid's Metamorphoses, Machiavelli's Discourses on Livy, and Seneca's Letters from a Stoic.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 12:36:59 AM
At 5/27/2015 12:31:27 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz, Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov, Shame by Salman Rushdie, Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Anna Karenin by Leo Tolstoy, The Stranger by Albert Camus, The Dying Earth series by Jack Vance, Sula by Toni Morrison, T. S. Eliot's poetry and plays, Ovid's Metamorphoses, Machiavelli's Discourses on Livy, and Seneca's Letters from a Stoic.

Sula! Have you read any more by Morrison? My favorite is Beloved.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 12:50:55 AM
At 5/27/2015 12:36:59 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Sula! Have you read any more by Morrison? My favorite is Beloved.

Yes, I adore Beloved as well, it's so haunting, the most gripping depiction of slavery and the shadow that it casts that I've ever read. Those two are all that I've read of Morrison at the moment, though.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 1:03:50 AM

You've become a communist.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 12:26:48 PM
Catcher in the Rye....JD Salinger

Sometimes a Great Notion........Ken Kesey

A Soldier of the Great War.........Mark Helprin

Koko,.....Peter Straub

Feast Day For Fools.........James lee Burke

The Old Man and the Sea....Ernest Hemingway

Slaughterhouse Five..........Kurt Vonnegut

The Tao te Tsing...........Lao Tzu

Born to Run.........Chris McDougall

Ball Four........Jim Bouton

Lonesome Dove.........Larry McMurtry

The Exorcist....William Peter Blatty

Crime and Punishment........Fyodor Dostoevsky

Candide........Voltaire
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 3:23:41 PM
The Giver, 1984, Eragon, Warriors seires by Erin hunter, Hunger games, House of Night series by PC Cast, Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, THE ANTHEM by Ayn Rand, Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman, Free to Choose by Milton Friedman, The Brief and Wounderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz,
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 3:35:29 PM
At 5/26/2015 11:42:23 PM, Sapphique wrote:
I guess I'll start. These are just a few that I really like: the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater, and most recently Half a King by Joe Abercrombie.

What are yours?

I can't read.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 4:53:50 PM

What are yours?

ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING BY BRANDON SANDERSON!i
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 4:55:47 PM
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Freedom of the Will by Jonathan Edwards
Miracles by C.S. Lewis
God, Freedom, and Evil by Alvin Plantinga
The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 6:30:24 PM
At 5/27/2015 4:53:50 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

What are yours?

He is a decent author; I've read Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive. I'm really liking the latter.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 6:31:09 PM
At 5/27/2015 1:03:50 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

Lol, only one of those is even vaguely communistic.
- Hilaire Belloc -
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 6:55:53 PM
At 5/27/2015 6:30:24 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

What are yours?

He is a decent author; I've read Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive. I'm really liking the latter.

Reading Mistborn was like taking drugs for the first time.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 8:46:23 PM
At 5/27/2015 6:55:53 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

What are yours?

Lol I have Mistborn sitting on my shelf. I've been meaning to get to it but I've been busy lately.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 8:55:50 PM
At 5/27/2015 8:46:23 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 5/27/2015 6:55:53 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

What are yours?

Lol I have Mistborn sitting on my shelf. I've been meaning to get to it but I've been busy lately.

It's a really interesting read, I liked it.
- Hilaire Belloc -
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 9:08:50 PM
At 5/27/2015 6:31:09 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

You're ignoring some very conspicuous absences.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 9:11:14 PM
At 5/27/2015 9:08:50 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 5/27/2015 6:31:09 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

You're ignoring some very conspicuous absences.

I like The Fountainhead, it's just not creme de la creme material.
- Hilaire Belloc -
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 11:31:57 PM
Since it's summer for me now, though, I'll be happy to take any book recommendations. My shelves have zero new material in them right now, aside from The Great Gatsby, which is unbearably short (read it all in a day).
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 12:23:28 AM
At 5/27/2015 11:31:57 PM, RevNge wrote:
Since it's summer for me now, though, I'll be happy to take any book recommendations. My shelves have zero new material in them right now, aside from The Great Gatsby, which is unbearably short (read it all in a day).

Every book listed in my profile.

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 1:02:58 AM
At 5/28/2015 12:23:28 AM, Sapphique wrote:
At 5/27/2015 11:31:57 PM, RevNge wrote:

Every book listed in my profile.

I already read most of them, lol.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 5:25:38 AM
Sula by Toni Morrison

I didn't think a lot of people would have read that book from DDO.
For my Literature IA, I had to research it, as it was made reference to in a critic I was using. The plot seemed interesting, and definitely was fun to contrast to the other female protagonist.

You should check out Brown Girls, Brownstones, by Paule Marshall.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 5:27:20 AM
At 5/27/2015 3:35:29 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

What are yours?

I can't read.

I'll read to you :-)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
emmalynn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 9:22:57 AM
Keeper by Tiffany Evans
Seventh Mark by W.J. May
Deadly Beauties by C.M Owens
Amaranth By Rachael Wade
Alexa O'Brien Huntress series by Trina M. Lee
Forbidden by Amy Miles
Ignite by Kaitlyn Davis
Leopard Moon by Jeanette Battista
Entangled by Nikki Jefford
Opposing Sides by CM Doporto
Alpha Divided by Aileen Erin
Verity by Claire Farrell
The Grey Wolves series by Quinn Loftis
The Light Tamer by Devyn Dawson
Planet Urth by Jennifer and Christopher Martucci
Fledgling by Natasha Brown
Dragonfly by Leigh Talbert Moore
The Color of Heaven by Julianne MacLean
The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen
Between the Land and the Sea by Derrolyn Anderson
Falling by Amber Jaeger
Deep Blue Secret by Christie Anderson
Just Breath by Vincent Morrone
Water by Terra Harmony
Element Preservers Series by Alycia Linwood
Legend of the White Werewolf Series The Forgotten Ones by Crystal Dawn
Invisible by DelSheree Gladden
The Sound Of Shooting Stars by Heather Allen
Wind Warrior by Jon Messenger
3 a.m. by Nick Pirog
Different by Alycia Linwood
Just Breath by Heather Allen
Grey Eyes by Brandon Alston
Glimpse by Stacey Wallace Benefiel
Castaway by Chrissy Peebles
Clockwise by Elle Steauss
Twin Souls by K.A. Poe
Elemental: The First by Alexandra May
Shadow Falls Series by C.C. Hunter
The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
Lost Voices by Sarah Porter
After the End by Amy Plum
Midnight Fire series by Kaitlyn Davis
North of Beautiful by Justina Chen
Matched by Ally Condie
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 4:20:44 PM
At 5/27/2015 11:26:32 PM, RevNge wrote:
*CTRL + F "Ayn Rand"*

*two results*

*dies*

lol sorry.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 5:44:45 PM
The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 8:14:49 AM
At 5/28/2015 9:22:57 AM, emmalynn wrote:
Keeper by Tiffany Evans
Seventh Mark by W.J. May
Deadly Beauties by C.M Owens
Amaranth By Rachael Wade
Alexa O'Brien Huntress series by Trina M. Lee
Forbidden by Amy Miles
Ignite by Kaitlyn Davis
Leopard Moon by Jeanette Battista
Entangled by Nikki Jefford
Opposing Sides by CM Doporto
Alpha Divided by Aileen Erin
Verity by Claire Farrell
The Grey Wolves series by Quinn Loftis
The Light Tamer by Devyn Dawson
Planet Urth by Jennifer and Christopher Martucci
Fledgling by Natasha Brown
Dragonfly by Leigh Talbert Moore
The Color of Heaven by Julianne MacLean
The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen
Between the Land and the Sea by Derrolyn Anderson
Falling by Amber Jaeger
Deep Blue Secret by Christie Anderson
Just Breath by Vincent Morrone
Water by Terra Harmony
Element Preservers Series by Alycia Linwood
Legend of the White Werewolf Series The Forgotten Ones by Crystal Dawn
Invisible by DelSheree Gladden
The Sound Of Shooting Stars by Heather Allen
Wind Warrior by Jon Messenger
3 a.m. by Nick Pirog
Different by Alycia Linwood
Just Breath by Heather Allen
Grey Eyes by Brandon Alston
Glimpse by Stacey Wallace Benefiel
Castaway by Chrissy Peebles
Clockwise by Elle Steauss
Twin Souls by K.A. Poe
Elemental: The First by Alexandra May
Shadow Falls Series by C.C. Hunter
The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
Lost Voices by Sarah Porter
After the End by Amy Plum
Midnight Fire series by Kaitlyn Davis
North of Beautiful by Justina Chen
Matched by Ally Condie

I've read none of those.

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 9:51:57 AM
My own works, which I almost never completed or made to 50 pages with.

However, "Thr3e" by Ted Deker was pretty good. I used to think the Percy Jackson series was pretty good, but now I realize it sucks. Animorphs was pretty good too.
However, these days I hardly ever read except for school purposes.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid